Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Growing up in Old Delray « Previous Next »
Archive through November 02, 2008Mashugruskie30 11-02-08  11:43 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 679
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 2:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good job Mash on your project, I spent sometime around Delray and does Joeys Stables sound familiar. Delray scared me at first yet I grew to like it.

Mashugruskie
Username: Mashugruskie

Post Number: 140
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The more I look at his site..... Not only are the majority of photos snagged, most are from Detroit area photographers who have uploaded their photos to Flickr. These photos are copyrighted and it is stated on each Flickr user's site. Some of these photographers are in my Flickr group and it's not difficult to provide a link back (which Richard doesn't want to do) and/or the photographer's name. None of this was done. Richard also has a section (Part 1 thru 5) reserved for "history". I know that it's going to come from the research I've done.

For those who disagree and believe the site should be preserved, please notice that he has copyrighted the whole site to himself. He's protecting himself but couldn't give a crap about what he's snagged from others. This is important considering DetroitYes states not to post copyrighted material without permission or attribution.

Thanks, Reddog. Unfortunately, Richard has hacked it all to pieces to suit himself. I'm waiting for him to post Joe Penner's, "You Wanna Buy A Duck?". I researched Penner (original name was Pinter), also. His mother arrived in Delray with my husband's great grandmother. He was a 1920's comedian and died in Hollywood.

My2cents
Username: My2cents

Post Number: 188
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mashugruskie,

Would you perhaps consider putting your site, with all of your painstaking efforts dedicated to All the various ethnic groups of Delray back up?
For the good of all, in perpetuity?
As JAMS has pointed out, the difficulty in locating info on Delray.......as your generous, unselfish gift in honor of your ancestors and all of the people of Delray in perpetuity for all would be a priceless gift.....

Mashugruskie

Post Number: 142
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would consider it but putting it back up to have it stolen seems like an awful lot of wasted energy.

Just another little note here: If I recall, the photo showing the beautiful flowered backyard in Delray may have been taken by John of Detroitblog. I know I've seen it before. Easily attributed but when you're too busy snagging photos from all over the net, why bother to give credit to a fine photographer?

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 513
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One benefit of putting up your site again would be to show in greater clarity that your information is being stolen. It is true that you take a risk when providing information online, but at some point, you have to wonder if the research is even worth it at all if you will not put it up. So I guess I would suggest that you consider putting up your own site again, and going after Gramps to take down the stolen material.

Mashugruskie

Post Number: 143
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm already in the process.

Thanks!

Rfban
Username: Rfban

Post Number: 309
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My father used to always say, "Those mean old Hungarians." I never understood why my family was always fighting, bickering, stealing, and lying? Delray was an eclectic place full of wisdom, gypsies, toxic gases and the cimbalom. I always wished I could see that gossip-filled hard-to-live-in smelly town in action…

-My family owned the Hungarian village from 1947-1954

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 9578
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mashugruskie,
I apologize for over-stepping into this.

I very much understand the frustration of seeing one's work used by another without permission or accreditation, as I spent most of my adult years as a professional photographer.

Let us know if your site comes back up, I've had a personal project photographing the general Delray/SW Detroit area, mostly in B&W for several years now.

My scanner won't talk to any of my computers right now, and funds are a bit tight, but I might have some images you might be interested, with proper accreditation, of course.

Also, I was recently told that Holy Cross Cemetery on Dix was started by the Holy Cross parish. Might you be able to confirm that one way or another?

This is why we need a site dedicated to Delray.

Mashugruskie

Post Number: 149
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Holy Cross Cemetery was built before Holy Cross Church. The oldest burials, if you're driving through the front gates, are to the far right and right near the fence. The records for those first burials burned but I can tell you that my husband's family had a little boy who drowned in a rock quarry near there and he is buried in that old section. Date of death was for 1906. Holy Cross Church was built in 1924 and finished in 1925.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 4456
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams, are you getting an error message with the scanner issue? If so, is it an HP all in one?

Mashugruskie

Post Number: 150
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have an HP that does that! Trying to download updates is futile.

Jcole

Post Number: 4458
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it's the scanner part that is throwing the error, the underside of the glass may need cleaning. Here's a link to the instructions to do so. HP all in one
Do NOT use any wet materials to clean with. Only microfiber cloth and dry Q tips.

Jcole

Post Number: 4459
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW, the error usually says something like 'Turn scanner off and on again'

Mashugruskie

Post Number: 151
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ruh Roh. I use Mac screen cleaner.

Jams

Post Number: 9580
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you.

Holy Cross is probably my favorite cemetery to photograph, but it has been a few years since I was last there.

Just its very location lends to a surreality that comes across so well in B&W.

I'm planning to return to Woodmere very soon, I've a super-wide lens for my Mamiya 645 that I feel the need to play with and I've finally got the darkroom set up in my new home.

Jcole

Post Number: 4460
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm just referring to the underside of the glass and the mirrors inside the scanner. You might want to be careful with the top of the glass also, so no moisture gets inside.

Mashugruskie

Post Number: 152
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ish. I need a photography teacher. I have a Nikon D40 with a number of lenses. I had a crap camera when I shot the photos on Gramps site.

I may have mentioned somewhere on DY that when the artisans of Holy Cross Church were done painting designs on the interior of the church for the day, parishoners came in and also painted designs (on pillars and trimwork). Fr. Barnabas gave me a ton of history on Holy Cross Church as my husband's grandparents were one of the first married there (the bride passed out afterward from the heat).

I have had a love affair with Delray for a long time. Not the 1950's Delray but early Delray. To claim it as Hungarian (which I did originally) is wrong. Each street housed a different ethnicity with those being Greek having the best homes in that area in the early 1900's. There also used to be a bathhouse by the river and I have photos of that with women and men in their dark wool bathing suits.

Jcole

Post Number: 4461
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I, too, am Hungarian. My grandparents came over from Arad back in the late 1800's. My grandfather deserted the Prussian army, and came first. My grandmother and her 2 oldest sons followed a few years later. They never lived in Delray, though. When they got to Michigan, they lived in Brighton and then Wayne. My grandmother used to clean houses on Grosse Ile, and my grandfather was a carpenter.

Mashugruskie

Post Number: 153
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not Hungarian. I became interested in Delray when my mother-in-law told me her parents died when she was young and she never knew them. Because I had children, I wanted to find out who they were. Her father's funeral was held on Bewick Street in the home of his brother-in-law and her mother died of TB on South Street afterward. I retraced their lives and found just about every ethnicity and color residing (in harmony) in Delray.

There used to be a resident there named George who was 103 the last time I was there. He spent his whole life there and was a book of knowledge about Delray. Those are the people I stalk. The old ones with all the info.

Jams

Post Number: 9581
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love that sign in the backyard of a house on Westend that I see from the bus coming home fom Downtown.

I'll grab a shot of it in the next couple of days with my digital.

I'll also post a pic of the boarded up brick building just off Woodmere on Fort that I would love to know more about. I was told it was a stagecoach stop and inn in the late 1800's.

Anyone that might know I'd appreciate any info.

OK, I need a good weather day to spend taking pics again in that area, if nothing else to get a pic of those curbstones that extend across Post that I discovered from the map hanging in Kovac's was a spur railroad track at one point.

Jams

Post Number: 9582
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jcole,
We seem to share similar family experiences.

Grandpa jumped ship in Montreal from the Austro-Hungarian army, somehow ended up in Alberta working for the railroad and somehow ended up in Windsor working as a carpenter.

Among my prized belongings is a wood toolbox holding a variety of chisels and augers grandpa used.

And yes, Delray was much more than just an Hungarian enclave.

Jcole

Post Number: 4464
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I knew, from the forums here, that Delray had a Polish neighborhood as well as the Hungarian background, but I never really knew a lot about Delray. I do computer work for an older gentleman who used to own a furniture store in Delray, back in the 50's and 60's. I'm not sure of the name of the store, but his last name is Kohlenberg. He's of Hungarian-Jewish ancestry.

Mashugruskie

Post Number: 154
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's what I mean, Jcole about Delray. As an example; (late 1800's to 1920's) one street would be Greek, around the block would be Armenians, from there they would be Jewish, and then black, a few Italians, Czech's, Poles, Germans, French, Mexican, Hungarians, Slovaks. They were all there.

And there were no riots.

Trying to remember the building. I may get the spelling wrong and would have to look it up, but are you referring to the Ginsberger Building? I'm pulling from memory. It has the old clock on the corner. That was supposed to be turned into lofts but the owner became ill (I believe).

(Message edited by mashugruskie on November 03, 2008)

Jcole

Post Number: 4466
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know the name, but it was co-owned if I remember correctly, so it could be. All I know is that it was a furniture store, and they owned it possibly into the 70's. If I see him or his son, I'll try to ask.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 680
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 2:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Half my Great Grandparents are in Woodmere, One day i,ll find them.IS there a map of the boundaries of Delray? My friend always said she grew up/lived in Delray. I said to myself " This ain,t Warrendale, Westland, or The N/W SIDE". 10 YRS AGO or so you would find my Truck on Lexington with the keys in the ignition and the radio blasting, NEVER A PROBLEM good neighbors watch stuff.

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 551
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone here needs to talk about Carbon Works. Give us some history, long time and contemporary.

Ocean2026
Username: Ocean2026

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is Delray like now ? is that area near the river pretty? What is that river like? In the thread about worst Detroit neighborhoods here or on city-data one person named Delray ( but one out of many isn't that bad).

Kryptonite
Username: Kryptonite

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 7:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jams, Holy Cross is selling Kalacs Dec. 13 and 14. Order ahead, choices are poppy seed, walnut, apricot, and plum. Nov. 16 they had a Kobasz/Hurka dinner for St. Elizabeth Feast, an annual event. They have 5 or 6 church dinners per year. Personally, I can't stand Hurka but to each their own.

Kryptonite
Username: Kryptonite

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 7:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mashugruskie, that man was Gyorgy Lajtos. He died at 104 and attended Holy Cross until his death. He was married 76 years to his wife who passed away prior to him. The priest at Holy Cross told me that Gyorgy insisted on ringing the bell at mass.

Lombaowski
Username: Lombaowski

Post Number: 128
Posted on Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 4:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is pretty interesting on many fronts, the website, the fact the stuff was stolen from Mash, and the fact that gramps hasn't responded. Although I don't appreciate the theft, the more controversy the better when it comes to embracing and caring for Detroit. I'll take what I can get. :-)

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1317
Posted on Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 6:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"What is Delray like now ?"

With its wide open spaces it kind of has a country feel to it. If it wasn't for the large trucks, heavy industry, smelly air, litter, drug dealers and prostitutes who'd feel like you were up in the thumb area.

Mashugruskie

Post Number: 285
Posted on Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lombaowski, he's taken the photos that were mine down but left up names I researched, a few bits of history, and photos he stole from Flickr and Detroitblog.

What pisses me off now is the fact that he's been called out (on DY) and won't respond.

(Message edited by mashugruskie on November 29, 2008)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.