Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Boycott Alabama - pass it on » Archive through December 11, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jhartmich
Username: Jhartmich

Post Number: 185
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(copy and paste into an e-mail. send it to your contacts)

Support American businesses that support good job and decent pay!
Pass it on.

GM retiree launches anti-Shelby Web site

Detroit Free Press staff and wire reports • December 10, 2008

A retired engineer from General Motors Corp. has launched a new Web site, www.BoycottAlabamaNow.com, aimed at Republican Sen. Richard Shelby and the state he represents in Congress, Alabama.

Shelby has been an outspoken critic of Detroit's automakers, who have been seeking as much as $34 billion in bridge loans to stay solvent until the economy recovers.

Joe Babiasz, who launched the site, said he wanted to show Shelby what it's like "to turn your back on hardworking Americans."

One page of the site truth-squads remarks made by Shelby about Detroit in Congress and on various news shows.

"Mr. Shelby is hell-bent on shutting down the Big Three," Babiasz said. If Shelby is "not going to support America, we're not going to support Alabama."

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 469
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

May as well add Oklahoma to their list too. I hear both their Senate seat fillers are against it too.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5048
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I sent my email to the good senator, and forwarded the link to everyone I could think of

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 453
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While you're at it, why don't you (I mean, as usual, the generic you) boycott everything from every state whose senators don't vote for a bailout? Sounds like practically a full-time job in itself. Or maybe, if that is too much, you can just boycott everything from every state that has an auto plant belonging to other than Ford, GM and Chrysler. This will leave a long list of states to whom you can tell not to come crying to you in the future.

Choquant
Username: Choquant

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As if I needed another reason to avoid Alabama!

Mashugruskie
Username: Mashugruskie

Post Number: 357
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

General Electric just received billions from the Wall Street bail-out monies.

Mashugruskie

Post Number: 358
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just made a list of all major manufacturing in Alabama. The majority are related to automotive and steel.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 3164
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Otter -
Ford, GM and Chrysler, saved our ass in WWII, but I don't see Honda, Kia, or Mercedes helping us in the future. And from what I see on the news, Toyota and Isuzu sell to any third world country that has a few bucks for a cheap weapons platform, i.e. truck, that is mobile. Now it's not just S.U.V.'s that worry me, but our whole infrastructure in case of war. These southern politicos really have some kind of self proclaimed mandate.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 7016
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Buy Michigan First

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 3165
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"President G.W. Bush the most divisive leader in American history."

Just my quote - at least it's not the name of a thread !

And prove me wrong. :-(

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1851
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't it rich that the Republicans' motto during the presidential campaign was "Country First."

Unless it comes to industrial infrastructure, then it's "Japan, Germany and South Korea First."

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 780
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nobody ever said they were consistent. Except maybe Bats.

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 1384
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sweet Home Alabama Michigan Remix

Big Three crashin' and burnin'
Foreclosing our homes cuz we're jobless
Listening to songs by Motown
I miss the 60s once again
And I think its a sin, yes

Well I heard that Mr. Young sang about her
Well I heard ole Neil said Detroit will never die
Well, I hope Neil Young will remember
That southern states don't want us around, anyhow

Sweet hometown Detroit City
Where the moods are so blue
Save our jobs in Detroit and Michigan
Lord, we're prayin' on our knees to you

In Alabama they love their Senator
Now he did for his state what he could do
Now he will filibuster to stop the Big 3 bailout
Tell us Senator Shelby
Does your conscience bother you?
Tell the truth!!

Lord, we're on our knees prayin' to you
Wherever we live in Michigan

Now Congress claims they have the answers
And they've been known to bailout a bank or two
Lord they rip us off so much
They spend billions bailing out Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac
Now how about you?

Sweet hometowns in Detroit and Michigan
Oh sweet hometowns
And the Governor's looking for a handout
To save our jobs in Detroit and Michigan

Yea, sure DC's got the answer...

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got this email the other day, but thought to myself...

"boycott alabama??!? they don't make a single product WORTH boycotting..."

am i wrong? how would I even boycott them?

Jcole

Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't go there, and don't buy a Toyota

Jcole

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the automated response I received from Sen. Shelby. Notice that you have to be an Alabama Constituent if you are to expect a reply.
Thank you for your recent e-mail message to my office. I am glad you took the time to contact me. I am always interested in receiving the views of Alabamians, and responding to my constituents is a top priority of my office.

Because of the high volume of e-mail I receive daily, everyone who sends me an e-mail message will be sent this automated response acknowledging receipt. This is not a final response to your email. If you are an Alabama constituent and you provided your full name and complete postal address (street number, street name, city, state and zip code), you will receive a response addressing your email as soon as possible.

However, if you did not include your full name and complete postal address in your original e-mail to me and you are an Alabama constituent who wants a response, please e-mail your original comments from your previous email *and* your full name and complete postal address in the following format:

Pat Doe
123 Anywhere Street
Somewhere, AL 12345
(256) 555-1212

Again, thank you for contacting me.

Sincerely,
Richard C. Shelby
United States Senator
http://shelby.senate.gov/
P.S. - Please sign up to receive regular e-mail updates from me on issues of importance to you by logging on to: http://shelby.senate.gov/newsl etter/newslist.htm

Wally
Username: Wally

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know about you folks, but I've cancelled my two week vacation in Alabama next month. I've also decided to not renew my season tickets for the Birmingham Barons baseball season. I will not accept any Alabama state quarters in my change, and I will definitely refrain from all future purchases of any Skynyrd album with the song "Sweet Home Alabammy" on it. Heck why draw the line there, no Skynyrd albums period!

Jcole

Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good of you to join the fight Wally. I knew we could count on you

Wally
Username: Wally

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

:-)

I drive American. I guess that's about as good as most of us can do.

Bob
Username: Bob

Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am have thought, I have never wanted to vacation in Alabama in the first place, why would I want to now?

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe these repubs against the loan are acting as lobbyists for the transplants to bust the uaw. This will insure they will remain union free forever and save them many, many dollars

Mashugruskie

Post Number: 352
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Made in Alabama - The majority have an automotive/parts/supplier base.

M. C. Mieth Mfg. Inc.
3M Worldwide
AstraZeneca International
Coca Cola
BellowsTech Inc.
Cutting Edge Optronics
Hydrapak
MoorMan's Incorporated
Esterline Advanced Input Systems
3Com Corporation
AC Delco
AGCO
Abbott Laboratories
Airgas
Alcatel-Lucent
Allegheny Technologies
Amgen
Anixter
Applied Industrial Technologies
Ashland Inc.
Atmel Corporation
BASF Group
Beckman Coulter, Inc.
Becton Dickinson and Company
Biomet, Inc.
Boise Cascade Corporation
Bridgestone-Firestone
Bristol-Myers Squibb
Brown-Forman Corporation
C&D Technologies, Inc.
Cardinal
Centex Corporation
Dana Corporation
Dexter Corporation
Dow Chemical Company
DuPont
EMC
Ecolab
Exide Technologies
Fisher Scientific
General Electric Company (Just received billions in Wall Street bail-out monies)
General Mills
General Motors
Genuine Parts Company
Georgia Pacific
Honeywell
Ingersoll-Rand Company
Intel
International Paper - The company's world headquarters is located in the United States at Purchae, N.Y.
KLA Tencor
Kellogg's
Kennametal
Lanier
Lear
Litton Industries
Northrop Grumman
MSC Industrial Supply Co.
Masco Corporation
Maytag Corporation
McCormick and Company, Inc
Mead Corporation
MicroAge, Inc.,
Microsoft
Milacron Inc.
Millipore's
Monsanto
Mylan
NVR Inc
Nalco Chemical Company
National Beverage Corp.
National Semiconductor Corporation
Nestle
Newell Rubbermaid Inc.
Novell
Nucor Corporation
Owens Corning
PPG Industries
Pactiv
Pennzoil-Quaker State Company
PepsiCo, Inc. (Part of Frito-Lay. Buy Better-Made Potato Chips. Made in Detroit!)
Perrigo Company
Philip Morris U.S.A.
Pulte Corporation
QUALCOMM
Ralston Purina Company
Reynolds and Reynolds
Rockwell Automation
STERIS Corporation
Safety-Kleen Corp.
Schlumberger
Seagate Technology, Inc.
Sealed Air
Shaw Industries, Inc.
Siemens USA
SmithKline Beecham
Square D Company Products and Service
Standard Register
Stewart Title Corporate
Tech Data Corporation
Tecumseh Products Company
Tennant Company
Terra Industries Inc.
Thomas & Betts Corporation
Trinity Industries, Inc.
United Technologies Carrier
Watson Pharmaceuticals
Wausau Paper Corporation
Western Digital Corporation
Weyerhaeuser
YORK International Corporation
i2
Flexware Innovation
Industrial Vibrators
Pall Corporation
Procter & Gamble
Tellabs, Inc.
The SYSCO Corporation

Ktkeller08
Username: Ktkeller08

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So... You're boycotting all of these companies because they just happen to hold some sort of presence in the state of Alabama...?

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 568
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Missing from Mashugruskie's list:

Toyota
Honda
Hyundai
Mercedes

Suzieh1
Username: Suzieh1

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everybody should boycott vacations to Alabama and if they can, boycott as many products made there as possible. If enough people get together maybe we won't have to listen to this crappy Senator anymore. The car companies have always helped out everyone else, these other states need to realize how important they are to the our country.

Ktkeller08
Username: Ktkeller08

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok... so we're suppose to boycott that huge list of companies because they have some sort of presence in Alabama. I'm sorry but that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2878
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm gonna boycott Detroit businesses and their products. That Kilpatrick guy was a real asshole.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 4986
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just the ones headquartered in Alabama plus anything else that more directly benefits Alabama. No tourism, no Alabama centric products, no support of the Tide (their Sugar Bowl game would be perfect for a protest - maybe the UAW or some other group should buy airtime), etc.

Mopardan
Username: Mopardan

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alabama is still one of the poorest states, despite all those companies having a presence. This article is from August 2007, but I doubt much progress has been made in that time.
http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/ article/20070829/NEWS/70829034 0/1007

I'm not surprised Texas is in there as well. I'm on an island of blue in a redneck sea.

Mashugruskie

Post Number: 353
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine, isn't the south already boycotting our products?

Start small. Don't buy Frito-Lay. Buy Better-Made. It's local.