Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Are Going to War with Livonia? [The radio drama] » Archive through June 19, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4850
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just a heads up... As part of its week long featuring of Livonia, WDET has decided to end the week Friday on a light/serious note with a radio dramatization / report featuring what many consider this forum's most hilarious thread ever, "Are We at War with Livonia".

If it is like the other Livonia reports this week I imagine it will be interspersed among the NPR Morning news show items.

For convenience that thread, which has resided in the HOF [Hall of Fame] since its expiration, has been hard webbed at http://DetroitYES.com/war.htm.

So stand by as the old wounds are re-opened. :-) Perhaps it is fitting with the current "Is Suburbia Dead?" thread. And too bad our fearless leader ItsJeff did not live to see this day.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1361
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you mean that Craiggy and Co will stage a recreation of The Great Livonia War using the front-line dispatches created by the late-great ItsJeff, Zulu Warrior, et al?

Ala "War of the Worlds" and Orson Wells?

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 2026
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 4851
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hornwrecker, you were the tops with your WWII poster mash ups! [Even while you were being cruelly accused as a collaborator.]

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5816
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah too bad something like that can never be recreated.....that was fun....

when will it run Lowell?

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 4852
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oops forgot to add that it was on this Friday Stylin'. As I recall you survived several cul-de-sac ambushes on your road to city hall.

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5817
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lol yeah I did....so this friday coming up? What time?

Rfban
Username: Rfban

Post Number: 279
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahhh, the good ole days...

Enduro
Username: Enduro

Post Number: 132
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you say Livonia backwards it sounds like Anal Ville.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3248
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fortunately, there are no backwards people in Livonia.

Saintme
Username: Saintme

Post Number: 148
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"First they came for the Wal-marts, and I said nothing because I wasn't tacky..."
~ ItsJeff

I laughed for about 10 minutes when i saw that.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 1158
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too bad all the stores left Detroit years ago.
Quality of life, schools and police response is a hell of a lot better in Livonia to.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 1272
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, it's too fucking bad someone pissed in your God Damn Wheaties, Paul. Get a fucking job.

Did you have too good a time at the Hilton Garden the other weekend?

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2429
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, yeah, yeah...

But who's getting Quicken Loans? :-)

Paulmcall

Post Number: 1161
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is one of your kids in a Detroit Public School?
How long does it take for your police response?
How many people are leaving Detroit every day?
There are reasons and I don't see them being addressed.
Too bad one can't take it without swearing.

Alec
Username: Alec

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the producer of the piece-

It's going to run throughout Morning Edition, All Things Considered and Detroit Today. Also, available after Friday on wdet.org.

But small parts will be dramatized, not as expansive as War of the Worlds, by any means. There's only so much you can fit in a 4 min feature.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2065
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you'll hear me and my many voices as a part of this broadcast

Chico
Username: Chico

Post Number: 107
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alec,

Judging by the language in this thread already, there's also only so much the FCC will let you dramatize in those 4 minutes.

Chitaku

Post Number: 2066
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we recorded it today, it is going to be funny!

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5821
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CHitaku, r any of my small parts going to be included?

Chitaku

Post Number: 2067
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'm not sure but i'd bet on it

Hornist9
Username: Hornist9

Post Number: 141
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know for a fact that my good friend Hornwrecker is a member of the "Warren resistance" cell. Nobody from Livonia is gonna invade Warren through Ryan and 8 Mile. We're on guard! They'll have to use Dequindre or Van Dyke. We've got surplus Anti Aircraft guns from the USS Enterprise to defend Ryan Road! We went years ago to Silversteins and bought em...

English
Username: English

Post Number: 741
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HILARIOUS thread! :-D I'll have to remember to turn the radio on.

Arc312
Username: Arc312

Post Number: 66
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny:

Uhh....if you're calling Livonians Nazis because of the lack of Jews and Blacks, you could call a majority of Detroit Subrubs Nazis.

Nice try.

Paulmcall

Post Number: 1166
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroiters are too often at war with themselves. How else can you explain why the schools and city government are so screwed up?
An awful lot of people in Livonia came from Detroit over the years to get away from crime, crummy schools and lousy government.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 769
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would like to thank everyone...for ruining what could have possibly been an extremely productive afternoon here at work :-)

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2534
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, sure, laugh all you want. But when Rommel's armored divisions come rumbling down Grand River Avenue ...

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2523
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

D_mcc, we try to do our best. :-)

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2535
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First they came first for the coney-eaters,
And I didn’t speak up because I didn't eat coney dogs;

And then they came for the hooptie-drivers,
And I didn’t speak up because I didn't drive a hooptie;

And then they came for the street-rhymin' fools,
And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a street-rhymin' fool;

And then . . .

(Message edited by detroitnerd on June 19, 2008)

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 770
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When they came for the DetroitYes'rs...there was no one left to speak up for you?