Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Where Do You Shop For Groceries? « Previous Next »
Archive through July 26, 2008Detroitrise30 07-26-08  12:02 pm
Archive through August 03, 2008Alienjerky30 08-03-08  9:41 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Thafuzz
Username: Thafuzz

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trader Joe's primarily, though I usually have to run to the Kroger a few blocks away for the random stuff TJ's doesn't carry (and everyone who's mentioned it is right - it's really a dreary place to shop!) Today I might run up to Village Market or even the meat market on Mack just north/east of the hospital for some of the produce

Youngprofessionaldetroiter
Username: Youngprofessionaldetroiter

Post Number: 125
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Retail grocer expanding in Southwest Detroit

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20080802/B IZ/808020424

Anyone here ever go?
YPD

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1075
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Places I (used to) shop for groceries include Metro Foodland in Rosedale Park (RP), and the Kroger at that location before that. Also in Grandland, was A&P, Great Scott, and another grocer facing Fenkell (1980s). The Cunninghams there had a small (expensive) selection of groceries in the back. There was a Grandmont grocer on the north side of Grand River near Edison Elementary, named Superland maybe? Then there was fruit and vegetable market on the northbound Southfield service drive south of Schoolcraft maybe?

Later, while living in Green Acres, the Kroger on 7/Livernois and the Ferndale Foodland on 9/Livernois (owned by the brother of the Foodland in RP). Miejers on Coolidge on a few occasions. NEVER learned to appreciate grocery shopping at gas stations or corner liquor stores.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 2955
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We shop at Sheena's Mkt in Romeo. They own several others around the Detroit area, including Sheena's in Ypsi, Imperial on 8 mile in Detroit, and Vegas on Kelly in Detroit. Good selection and clean. Spartan brand stores.
Honeybee in the above link is a really nice store. World's best salsa and chips, huge selection of Hispanic ingredients.

Mickeymac
Username: Mickeymac

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody here ever go to Meijers??

I briefly lived in the downriver area about 5 years ago, and in Detroit there was this Mexican grocery store, it was right across the street from that church where they shot that film, THE ROSARY MURDERS. Anybody know the name of that spot??

Westsiiiide
Username: Westsiiiide

Post Number: 152
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, there is a nice Meijers at Southfield Fwy at the Oakwood exit. this Meijers also has a extensive wine shop, fresh meats, and everything else that Meijers carries. also there is Target, Home Depot, T.J Mzxx,and lots of other major retailers.

Incidently, to Vetalalumni, that was Farmer Jack at 7/Livernois. which is now gone, the store stading there now is Mike's market, which is acuually not too bad, somethings are a little expensive though.
Incidently, to Ventilmize, every single store that you mentin, Kroger

Coming from the Southfield north, exit at Oakwood and turn left, or from south, turn right.

(Message edited by Westsiiiide on August 03, 2008)

(Message edited by Westsiiiide on August 03, 2008)

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3250
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^In other words, Fairlane Towne Center. :-)

Ladia
Username: Ladia

Post Number: 51
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When i just want to pick up a few groceries i just go to a local store,but when i do major shopping i like kroger and super walmart,mostly.

i have been to glory market occasionally also,and maybe banner.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2429
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't recall a grocery store across from Holy Redeemer. There are some up and down Vernor though. E & L is a couple of blocks west.

Westsiiiide

Post Number: 155
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitrise, just for clarification,Fairlane Town Center has no grocery stores, also, Fairlane Town Center is in Dearborn at the Ford Road Exit.

This very large area of shops at Oakwood are called Fairlane Green, and are located on Southfield Fwy, drive south on Southfield, past Ford Road, Past Michigan Ave too.

The shops are actually in Allen Park, Michigan, which is right next door to Dearborn. See info:

www.landmarkcres.com

and click on "Exclusive Listings"
and then the Fairlane Green. There are also listings for other new shopping centers.

(Message edited by Westsiiiide on August 04, 2008)

(Message edited by Westsiiiide on August 04, 2008)

Bdglsmn
Username: Bdglsmn

Post Number: 106
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plum Hollow Market 9 mile and Lahser in Southfield or Kroger on Greenfield between 9 mile and Mt. Vernon.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2439
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, Bdglsmn, I shop at Plum Hollow, too. How about Cheryl's good deli stuff? And you can get a nice ice cream treat after you're all done shopping :-)

Westsiiiide

Post Number: 161
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Found a good website with all of the newer shopping centers in the Metro-Detroit area.

www.Landmarkcres.com

Fairlane Green is on the list which has a high-end Meijer. Also, other shopping areas in alphabetical order. Go to Exclusive Listings.

Limafin
Username: Limafin

Post Number: 23
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live downtown. I shop at Sam's for paper products and dry goods. I typically go to Zaccaros for food that is already cooked. I may go to Harbortown to pick up an item here and there. Where is University and Honey Bee? I don't think I have ever seen or come across either of those. I feel the same way about Zaccaros. It's not really a place where you shop for bread, toilet paper, etc. It is very much a specialty store so I really only pick up an item or two from there. The staff is very friendly. The cooked food in the deli is pretty good but not always consistent as far as what they have. Also, I've given the bakery a lot of tries and I'm really not impressed. The best thing I've had is the lemon bars/lemon tarts. A lot of other things have been ok but not great and certainly not worth wasting calories (IMHO). Please let me know where University and Honey Bee are. Thanks!

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 762
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Limafin, if you go, I hope you try their homemade guacamole and salsa and the house brand chips.

http://chowhound.chow.com/topi cs/473917

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl =en&ie=UTF-8&dq=Honeybee+Marke t+loc:+Detroit,+MI&daddr=2443+ Bagley+St,+Detroit,+MI+48216&g eocode=1418426765644797615,42. 325895,-83.076458&ll=42.325895 ,-83.076458&iwstate1=dir:to&iw loc=A&f=d

Limafin

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neilr, thanks for the information and I'll be sure to try the homemade guacamole (I love guacamole), salsa and house brand chips (none of which will go well with my diet)...LOL

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 13685
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did the grocery scan today...started early with Zaccaro's, during my morning run, to pick up some orange juice and yoghurt and a box of distilled water.

They had the yoghurt, but have now switched from my usual Grovestand without additives to some other brand with Calcium added...double yuck...so I went home with the yoghurt, priced roughly a buck more than Meijer. Their water selection was woefully lacking, too. Bully that convenience!

Then later, I found myself in Royal Oak...so I stopped in at the Trader Joe's on Woodward. What a confusing layout, with a few damn poles in the middle of aisleways that really bunch up the traffic flow! (didn't help that it was rush hour, too) They should've been put right in a shelf-line in order to maintain clear aisles, but they didn't ask me ahead of time.

Bought some new OJ that may just become my favorite, Natalie's Orchid Isle Juice Company, although it is as expensive as the fresh-squeezed stuff from out in Livonia (don't remember the store name, I've never been there...my Livonia friend brings the stuff down when I need a fix).

Plus, I got some bananas and a tub of their house-brand plain yoghurt, to see if Stoneyfield is going to finally lose me as a client.

Then I stepped into Hollywood on Main Street, because Trader Joe's doesn't actually sell ANY quantities of distilled water...plus I find anything smaller than the 2.5 gallon boxes wasteful, although I'm not ready to buy the five gallon jugs at Nutrifoods on Main.

Then I had to figure out how to get all this stuff into my backpack for the bike ride home. It fit, somehow, and I ended up riding the bus because that extra thirty or so pounds might've been a wee messy, and I'm sure the bananas wouldn't've made it.

Cheers

Limafin,

You can find Honey Bee if you take Vernor Highway (the light at Slow's) under the old train station and look to the left just after the freeway.

On your way back home, drop into that Welcome Center behind the old police station and have a Cafe Con Leche...very cool new coffeehouse...2826 Bagley, Suite 102, (248) 736-1196 (somebody has to clue this guy into proper area code advertising, heh!)

Watch their hours, though, they close at five during the week and six on Saturday...and don't open on Sunday at all yet. Open at 8 during the week and 11 on Saturday...he's yet to find a trustworthy barista to run the place when he catches up on sleep.

Honey Bee is open until 8, I think.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 13686
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Got confused, take 20th off Vernor to get to Honey Bee, you'll be quite close to that coffeehouse.

I knew Vernor was wrong...Bagley just west of the train overpass that always seems like the freeway overpass to me for some reason (but east of I-75)!

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 3042
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's on Bagley between 16th and 17th. Go under the viaduct next to MCS, and veer left. Turn left on Bagley. It's right there.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 1021
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

University Foods is at the Lodge and Warren ave next to one of two blockbuster videos left in the city.

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 281
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

aldi

Limafin

Post Number: 25
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Urbanoutdoors. I know where that is. I've seen it when I go to Blockbusters but it didn't look like anyplace I wanted to grocery shop. I guess I shouldn't judge a book by its cover. I'll have to check it out.

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 929
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sorry but University is horrendous. Their produce is ok but theres no deli there and things are priced all over the map. Its a prime example of the crapiness of main Detroit grocery stores. maybe a slight step up from the norm. I go there when I have to

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 1025
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All I am saying is that U foods has the largest variety of Veggie and organics in the city, which is unfortunate since there should be more options. Yes I agree their meat counter should be full service and it would help if their prep foods were not considered value pizza variety foods. Things they do well though is keep the store clean, are actually a full service grocer when those are few and far between and they get in anything that you request and as long as there is a demand they will continue to get it in. If we are comparing Honey bee U foods and Harbor town. U foods is the best for organics and variety by far, honey bee is the best produce and mexican specialty by far and I am sorry but compared to the other two Harbortown just sucks.

As for Zaccaro's I refuse to comment.

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 47
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 1:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was growing up, Chatham, Great Scott, Farmer Jacks, Pete And Franks Fruit Ranch, Randazzos, A&P, and Pollas.
Later, Farmer Jacks, Krogers, Hillers, Busch's, Randazzos, Save A Lot, Aldis, Meijer's, WalMart, Target Superstore, Super KMart, Good Food Co., Trader Joes.

Wormbookie
Username: Wormbookie

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I understand the appeal of Zaccaro's and wish them well, but the store is really overpriced. Especially when you can find a lot of their specialty items at Rocky's or Hirt in Eastern Market for less. The pastries were a huge disappointment, too. Astoria sells fresher, better-tasting baked goods for half the price.

Honeybee is my favorite market, but find myself at Harbortown often because they are open until 9:00. Indian Village market is pretty ok, too.

Lakesuperior
Username: Lakesuperior

Post Number: 226
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i feel like zaccaro's is really getting dogged on this thread. as someone who lives and works within a mile and a half of the store, i can't overstate how happy i am that they're here!

i think their deli items are top notch, the selection of produce (while limited) is great and they offer tons of michigan products. yes, they are expensive-- but i always try and shop the "european way," so i guess it just hurts less because i only shop for a couple days at a time. not a whole month...

Wormbookie
Username: Wormbookie

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do appreciate Zaccaro's selection and location. But there is a difference between being expensive and being overpriced. If Hirt can sell a fancy bottled water for $2.50, why is it $3.99 at Zaccaro's? Tom's of Maine Toothpaste should not be $7.00 anywhere. It is nice that they are there, but it would be better if their prices were more reasonable.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3292
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^It's a catch-22.

If the prices were lower, they wouldn't be able to maintain a profit & will have to cut down on service or eventually close.

On the other hand, if their prices are too, customers may be turned away from the store (except for the few troopers) & the same scenario described above could happen.

Hirt's desn't have all the fancy stuff Zaccaro's has.

Basically, it's difficult doing business in Detroit.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1140
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

chuckle chuckle

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 252
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love Holiday Market but it's SO expensive. Trader Joe's is okay, I'd like to try Westborn.

Between my job and my house there is very little options. University Foods is okay, they have sushi which is fun. That parking lot is a nightmare, though.

I would say the best has to be Bozek's in Hamtramck. I'm sure somebody mentioned this, but they have a HUGE walk in meat locker with fresh, extremely affordable selections. They also have hot, ready-to-eat Polish food, lots of wine and beer and fresh-enough fruit and veggies. The only thing you can't get is English-language magazines and American brands like Kraft, Campbell's, etc. But who needs that anyway...

Scout
Username: Scout

Post Number: 25
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike's Fresh Market at 7 and Livernois is decent. It's so close to home that I make stops in there often.

Gaz
Username: Gaz

Post Number: 325
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The cheapest place to shop for food is WalMart, provided there is one not too far from you. They price-match other stores sales, so you get the advantage of having all the competing grocery stores sales prices, plus things WalMart has on sale. They also accept coupons.

J_stone
Username: J_stone

Post Number: 433
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I use to be a University shopper, and I will still occasionally go there, as they have the best selection of your average, run of the mill grocery store type items, but I agree with Melody, the parking lot is a nightmare. I'm always stressed shopping there, plus it seems to be a little dirtier and more run down then a few years ago. I've found the prices to be pretty good there.

Honey Bee is a gem. It's smaller and has less of the selection then University, but it's so clean and inviting. Everyone is friendly and mellow. Just what I need after an f'd up day at work. Produce section is great and the fresh meat and deli is even better. I'm in and out in 15 minutes, to a clean, quiet, peaceful parking lot. Ahhhhh... They actually care enough to landscape, plant flowers, weed, water, etc.. The kind of attitude and/or business that this city exactly needs more of.

Zacarro's is awesome, but too far for me to patronize a lot. I sure hope they do well enough to stay.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 767
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't for the life of me understand why University makes you go to the express checkout and request things like Advil and toothpaste. It's the dumbest system on the face of the earth, especially since there is no sign anywhere in the store saying that that is where those items are kept. I wonder how many people spend half an hour combing the aisles for that stuff before leaving in disgust and going to Rite Aid. Other than that, it's a decent enough store.

Tkierpiec
Username: Tkierpiec

Post Number: 102
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That seems weird to me, too, bear ... but IIRC, Honeybee also has their aspirin and similar stuff behind the service counter, don't they?

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 3004
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wal-Mart and Meijers. Sometimes Bed, Bath and Beyond. Closest to my home and I can find my toiletries there the cheapest.

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 52
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 4:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Mickeymac: I'm not sure of the church. Slightish guess here that it might be St. Anne's or St. Ambrose but I could be wrong.

They used Calacaterra Funeral Home formerly on 7 Mile Road and Kelly by St. Jude Church. Coincidentally,my dad was laid out when he died in the same room they used in that film, The Rosary Murders.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 1026
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

University does it for security purposes unfortunately, when they first opened that stuff was all in the isles but when they remodeled in 2000 they put it back there and made a new room for the bottle machines which i agree can also be annoying since they are only on during specified hours to keep certain foot traffic out of the store when possible. The parking lot is pretty bad as well since they feel the only way that they can keep their grocery carts is to have that locking mechanism on them but before they were doing that they would loose 30 carts a week and each cost 150-200 bucks so it was hurting business. I am not saying by any means they are perfect but without them midtown wouldn't have much in the way of grocery stores.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 770
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I assumed it was some sort of security issue, but I guess I don't understand why Advil and toothpaste need more security than milk or paper towels.

Kpm
Username: Kpm

Post Number: 95
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Westborn is #1!!

Motorcitydave
Username: Motorcitydave

Post Number: 140
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Besides Eastern Market and Honey Bee, I'll hit Food Pride for boxed, canned, and frozen goods... they have good prices, and if you haven't been in a while, they have cleaned up the store a lot in the last couple years.

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 930
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let me give you some items at Zacaros well worth the price and taste-because I almost wrote that store off like other Detroit lovers on this forum have: grape leaves
hummus
olive bar
sausages, and whitefish sausage
quality deli meats
tofu
marinated chicken breasts
upscale wine/beer
reasonably priced veggies
organic milk(tastes better then regular milk)
great chocolate chip cookies
having said that, avoid the smoked salmon and steaks crazy high prices.

Whats up with University's broken bottle return? I think its absurd that business can sell thousands of bottles and then slide out of taking them back.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 530
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I stopped in Zaccaro's for the first time today and bought some Terra Potpourri exotic potato chips and McClure's Spicy Pickles **breaths fire**
OMG both are the best ever, I love that place :-)

Lnfant
Username: Lnfant

Post Number: 92
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zaccaro's has a table at Eastern Market a couple Saturday's ago (probably every Saturday) and their spinach feta croissant was very fresh and very good. My brother was pleased with their blueberry scone.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.