Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: Archives » 2007 Wolverines « Previous Next »
Archive through September 01, 2007Darwinism30 09-01-07  5:10 pm
Archive through September 15, 2007The_rock30 09-15-07  8:00 am
Archive through October 28, 2007Lowell30 10-28-07  11:16 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3876
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As usual, Lowell, as usual.

Can't wait to beat the undefeated Ohio State.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 849
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UM has some business to take care of this week and the following week. I personally cant wait for the MSU game. Wonder whatever happened to all the big talkers from a couple of months ago.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3880
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 1:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The same thing that always happens to MSU fans who read into their fast starts too much.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 790
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Surprisingly ranked BCS # 12, AP # 13 prior to a close MSU game.

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 121
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MIchigan looks bad. They are being dominated by Wisc. They look beaten and that's too bad w/the game coming up next week. Maybe too much thinking about next week. We have no offense because of injuries, but the defense is playing lousy.

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 122
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If Henne was healthy, We would have won this ugly game. Mallet absolutely sucked and was way over his head. If MI. wins next week, they can sneak the big ten, but don't hold your breath

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3063
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan totally played this game for next week's v Ohio State. If it weren't for looking toward next week Hart and Henne would've played.

On the plus side Mallet got a lot of valuable experience for next year.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2220
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where's the 'fire Lloyd Carr' thread???? :-)

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4573
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UM's 8-4 season record will only give them a middle-caliber bowl game this (next?) year.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5125
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I cant wait for the fairweather fans to come onboard and whine.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3974
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lilpup, that is exactly what they did. I have mixed feelings on that, because Hart said that he felt he needed to play in this one. Losing is also contagious. I think winning every game is important, but obviously nothing is bigger than beating Ohio State.

What you cannot account for, though, is the lax defense that severly underperformed and did not respect a QB who looked like Troy Smith at times out there. The rush defense was atrocious. That is why they lost. Three games where the defense decided not to show up this year = three losses.

As much as I like Ron English, he probably won't/shouldn't be here next year.

Mr_onion
Username: Mr_onion

Post Number: 200
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One Name people, Les Myles of LSU,, god we need him. GO BLUE.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 804
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another Big Ten season now over. And a new football coach is on the way to UofM.

Lilpup

Post Number: 3134
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I must say, being a Michigan alumnus from when Bo was still coaching, I really dislike the anti-Carr comments when he has been such a winning coach. An 8-4 season once in a while is acceptable. And the regular season is a hell of a lot more important than bowl games or a 'National Championship' that's little more than a popularity contest.

I hope Carr stays. He's a good coach and a good man. I hope Michigan never goes the big name coach chasing route other schools have in pursuit of National Championships. That's not the Michigan way.

Hagglerock
Username: Hagglerock

Post Number: 464
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lilpup, your right about chasing coaches for a National Championship.

But understand the Michigan way is not losing to 4 in a row to that school down south. I've had my ups and downs with most Michigan players/coaches, Carr, Navarre, Jim Herman, ever since I was a student at U of M, but even back then we never dropped four in a row to osu.
I love Carr but this season and the way we lost today proved to me that his time is finally up at Michigan.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4011
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A good coach would have motivated his offensive line to stop the OSU attack today.

The regular season IS important, Lilpup. That's why losing to App State and OSU makes this one of the worst years ever. I have always loved Lloyd's personality and general attitude, and I like how he views the running game as fundamental. He has slipped, in the margins, though, year by year. Furthermore, I see a decline in our defensive recruiting. You don't let someone who is no longer your best possible coach stick around just because he was your best option 5-10 years. Let Lloyd go with dignity, yes. Give him a nice tribute, yes. Try to forget the last few years' letdowns. But bring on a new coach.

I don't know if any one you were there, but hearing O-H-I-O being chanted across your house, the best stadium in the world, after you poured out all of your energy to cheer for your team all day, is the worst feeling a sports fan could have.

Lilpup

Post Number: 3138
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw, can't you admit losing to a better team? OSU has been dominating everyone these last few seasons. Give them the credit they're due.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4635
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UM can kiss away getting a good bowl bid (Jan 1).

Losing those first two games was bad enough. But any team losing its final two games of the regular season shows that the team is not possessing strength when it needs it for a bowl. I doubt that UM would be playing anywhere on January 1.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 539
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A good passing game is best accompanied by a good catching game. Henne's accuracy--no doubt because his shoulder is still nowhere near healed--was sub-standard, and the weather conditions were tough, but does anyone have a dropped ball count for the Michigan receivers?

I'm thinking Mario Manningham should keep going to class--he'll be playing on Saturdays next year.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4013
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No Lilpup, I can't, because they not so much better than us such that we should be virtually shut out in our stadium.

OSU got their asses handed to them at home by a team we beat on the road.

It is the mistakes liked dropped passes, and the breakdown of an offensive line that looked much better at other times, and Carr being out-coached again that make this more than just the "better team winning." Whatever that means. Do you win because your better? Are you better because you win? Are we talking about talent alone? Should coaching have something to do with which team is better?

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2010
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As I sat in the rain this afternoon, all I could conclude was that Michigan got beat in the line, and their offense was about as exciting as one of Ike's press conferences. Talk about watching paint dry. Did we even muster a hundred yards offense all day?

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4014
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe the total was 92.

I agree. They were beat on both lines, although the defense as a whole kept things manageable with some good tackling.

Hornist9
Username: Hornist9

Post Number: 62
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What an embarrassment! Bo must be turning over in his grave! I have never seen a Michigan team look so shitty in a game against OSU. Hell, they looked better against Appalachian State for Chrissakes! The only thing that kept me from going totally Postal was that I figured it would be Lloyd's last hurrah as Michigan coach.

What a shitty way to go out for the Seniors. They can now dubiously say that never beat OSU...It was sad to see the kids crying in the stands. A once proud program getting beat by those assholes from Columbus.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 561
Posted on Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard Les Miles bought a house in Ann Arbor...

Is this true?

<313>

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4059
Posted on Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've had sources in A2 real estate substantiate that.

On the other hand, the latest rumors say that the job has been offered to Iowa's Kurt Ferentz (prob. due to lobbying by his former boss, now UM Pres, Mary Sue Coleman.)

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 849
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our poor defense might allow Tebow to shine even though he is "just a quarterback". Furthermore, the health issues and coaching distractions will hurt our chances.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1564
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 6:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reading back on this thread shows how much rumors are worth, btw.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4259
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Totally.

Go Blue!

This has all the makings of a great game. It feels like the start of a new era, and a must-win to make a strong transition and gain back some national respect.

Meaghansdad
Username: Meaghansdad

Post Number: 205
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm a UM fan, but money says Florida by 14 points.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 850
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great competitive game with the back-and-forth and all. Health not an issue. Coach not a distraction. Hart TOs hurtful. Pass receptions very good (highlights). English's defense began well, but was still sub-par overall. Great Carr send-off.

RR looked upbeat and it was encouraging to hear him at the game - he is on top of the world.

(Message edited by vetalalumni on January 01, 2008)

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4262
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great effort and great game plan...enough to overcome the great UF offense, and even make them look bad at times. Without a couple of mistakes that resulted from UM overextending themselves at times, this would have been a comfortable victory. I'm not mad about those mistakes because I'd rather see that than a flat, uninspiring game plan.

Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 569
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lloyd Carr always gets out-coached in the big games.

The Michigan defense can't beat a spread.

Michigan runs too much/passes too little/calls plays too conservatively.

But at least Mike Hart never fumbles.

----------
Folks: with three turnovers inside the 5 yard line, Michigan almost put up *60* points against the #12 team in the nation.

Hagglerock

Post Number: 475
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a game. I disagree about our D being sub-par, yeah we gave up a lot of yards, but we stopped them when it mattered most. I think the pressure we put on Tivo (thats what I call him) was outstanding. Something we've had a hard time doing in the past.
If it were not for those turnovers it could of been much more dominating on our part.
I'm very happy.
Go Blue

Hagglerock

Post Number: 476
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Folks: with three turnovers inside the 5 yard line, Michigan almost put up *60* points against the #12 team in the nation"

Amen Zephyr!

Kenp

Post Number: 951
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Loved the game, great send off for Lloyd.
Excellent game plan on Defense and spirited play all around.
5th straight bowl win against the SEC for UM since 1999.

Did anybody collect on Meaghansdad bet?
To bad the rest of the Big ten didnt do better, dont feel good about rooting for OSU but I will.

Hagglerock

Post Number: 477
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kenp,
Actually John Navarre and Co. lost to the SEC team Tennessee in 2002. 45-17, ouch!
yeah rooting for osu is a necessary evil, but thats how it's done in the Big Ten.
However if osu loses, I must admit I won't mind seeing their classless, rabid fans in tears. :-)

Focusonthed

Post Number: 1567
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I disagree about English's D. They were blitzing all day, and a QB like Tebow is going to put up some yards, and Florida's got a lot of talent. How many yards/points were on big plays?

English had a perfect game plan. I'm sure if they'd played more straight up D instead of blitzing non-stop, they would have given up fewer yards, but possibly more points if Tebow had all day in the pocket to pick you apart with arm or leg.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4274
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The constant-pressure plan was excellent. They got burnt by pure speed a couple times, and Morgan Trent looked stupid a couple of times as usual, but that can't be blamed on English.

Kenp

Post Number: 958
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 8:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trent played a great game, both corners had to play man to man all day. Dont forget he ran down their speedy Harvin, a play that looked like a for sure TD. We ended up blocking that field goal. That was one of the biggest plays of the game.
I forgot about Tenn. That was a rout

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 854
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of English, what is the latest scoop on where he might end up coaching next year?

Focusonthed

Post Number: 1573
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Louisville, IIRC. Done deal.

Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 573
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's correct, Focus: English accepted Louisville's defensive coordinator position on Monday night, told the players Tuesday morning before the game.

I don't know that any of the other assistants--excepting Fred Jackson--have jobs yet, though some will be interviewing with RR; they all have a 2nd year on their contracts as de facto severance pay.

Mike DeBord's job prospects (as a coordinator) certainly went up on Tuesday.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.