Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » List of Closings « Previous Next »
Archive through February 17, 2009Goodgirlsgotoparis30 02-17-09  7:39 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Whittier70
Username: Whittier70

Post Number: 222
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Theodore's fine dining

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 897
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

rafal spice. i went by today, peered through the windows, and paid my respects. when i took newbies to the market, rafal's was a mandatory part of the tour. i often went in there even when i knew i wasn't going to buy anything. i loved that place.

carl's chop house - is it a chop house? flop house? whore house? still hanging in there?

tipperary pub: scrubbed.

Beech_cricker
Username: Beech_cricker

Post Number: 57
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just heard that Adray's is to close...I guess there will be an ad in Friday's papers.

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 450
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worked for Cadillac Electric which closed in January after 89 years in Detroit. We were Detroit 's first and oldest Allen Bradley distributor.

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 355
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was in Henry the Hatter downtown today (they enlarged a hat for me at absolutely no charge), and noticed that they are closing their Hamtramck store. They have a "Consolidation Sale" going on with some good prices, if you need a hat.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 898
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you had a hat enlarged, texorama? ten gallons wasn't enough?

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 356
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As Lyle Lovett says, I've got a forty-gallon Stetson hat, with a thirty-eight-foot brim.

The woman working the counter said that B.B. King's entire band came in and bought hats. I'm sorry I wasn't there at that time.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2293
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 6:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was working at La Shish not that long before they closed. I still had friends who worked there. Most of the employees and the other managers were very good people who lost their jobs because of the owner and his kids. The owner's daughter used to regularly sit at the carry out speaker and listen to the recording of her brother's voice, who supposedly was sent to prison a couple years before.

Sigh... I miss their hummus. My fiance and I practically survived on that and their sandwich wraps while I was working there. I started as a waiter at La Shish, and worked up to a manager. It was interesting because it was me and the cooking staff at night, who often didn't speak much, if any English.

Oh sweet memories...

(Message edited by sean_of_detroit on February 20, 2009)

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2294
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 6:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

La Shish Westland

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 988
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 7:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Genevas is still open, days, though.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2296
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 7:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, fixed.

Adray - Dearborn
Arcade Bar - Detroit
Asian Village - Detroit
Athlete's Foot Woodward - Detroit
Avis Car Rental - Detroit
Baker's Square Outlet - Livonia
Baker's Square Outlet - Warren
Beans N' Bytes Coffee Shop - Detroit
Bleu Room Experience - Detroit
Book Office Tower
Brooks Brothers Renaissance Center - Detroit
Circuit City - Auburn Hills
Circuit City - Dearborn
Circuit City- Bloomfield
Circuit City- Rochester Hills
Credit Union One Compuware - Detroit
Henry The Hatter - Hamtramck
J. Bees Nike - Detroit
Johnny Rockets - Detroit
K.B. Toys - Lincoln Park
K.B. Toys - Westland
Linen N' Things - Livonia
Linen N' Things - Novi
Linen N' Things - Orion Township
Linen N' Things - Rochester Hills
Linen N' Things - Troy
Linen N' Things - West Bloomfield Hills
Livonia Mall - Livonia
Lotus Imports - Royal Oak
Office Max - Farmington
Pangborn Ties Renaissance Center- Detroit
Pier 1 Imports - Canton
Pier 1 Imports - Dearborn
Pier 1 Imports - Taylor
Piercing Pagoda Great Lakes Crossing - Auburn Hills
Piercing Pagoda Westland Mall - Westland
Rafal Spice - Detroit
Small Plates - Royal Oak
Starbucks - Eastpointe
Starbucks Buhl Building - Detroit
Starbucks Central - Rochester
Starbucks Fairlane - Dearborn
Starbucks Jefferson & East Grand - Detroit
Starbucks Millender Center - Detroit
Starbucks Twelve Oaks - Novi
Steak and Ale - Livonia
Sweet Georgia Brown - Detroit
Tubby's Submarine Fort Washington - Detroit
Uno Chicago Grill - Livonia
Zaccaro's Market - Detroit

(Message edited by sean_of_detroit on February 20, 2009)

Dbc
Username: Dbc

Post Number: 186
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Add The Woodward in the Compuware building, too.

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 761
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The SMART 285 Handicapped accessible public bus route connecting Wayne and Oakland counties to metro airport was closed on November 2006.

This was the result of cuts in funding from the Michigan Department of Transportation collected from the tax on fuel for the purpose of revenue sharing among communities.

SMART officials promised they would protect this funding source.

Remember next August 2010 that a NO vote on the property tax renewal ONLY defeats the increase.

Get all the facts in DETROIT LINKS at Trainman’s save the…

Detroitchef
Username: Detroitchef

Post Number: 113
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Sean, was that the La Shish in Livonia (or westland, whatever) that had the drive thru?

I knew a lot of the Lebanese guys at the Corporate stores, David A. and Najib and that bunch, and they always swore that the 'drive thru' La Shish was where the dudes who didn't know how to cook went to die!

Detroitchef
Username: Detroitchef

Post Number: 114
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WTF, went by the old Burghardt's Breads in Livonia and they're gone!
Anyone rememebr the German Sourdough they used to sell? Came in the brown paper sleeve.... yummy yum yum.

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 415
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I feel sorry for the employees. I never had bad service in a La Shish Restaurant.

On the other hand, it has boosted business to rivals, and in some cases restaurants have opened in their place. A Mezza Mediterranean Grill opened in the former Livonia location, and based on the couple of visits I've had in recent weeks, I like it even better than La Shish...

quote:

WTF, went by the old Burghardt's Breads in Livonia and they're gone!

Happened quite a while ago. I saw recently that a new bakery is opening in its place, but I know nothing about it.

Also, this thread is pointless.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2310
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That one was Westland. There was another one in Livonia.

Actually it's true. That was the one location that sometimes lost money. All the horrible employees and new hires went to Westland. I was set to go to Canton and eventually Ann Arbor with another manager, but eventually just quit to pursue other opportunities (I have less than average interest in job security). La Shish put a lot of stress on job security, taking care of their employees, and working your way up from the bottom. That is what made their closing a extra hard blow for many of their employees who were led to believe they had a good employer up until the day they closed.

The restaurant was slow. It was said by some that that area of Westland simply had to many restaurants, and to much of a low income base. Dinner was often dead, and virtually everyone shared plates and stayed away from anything remotely expensive.

We had some real strange employees that worked there. There was one individual who came to work still on (ecstasy?) after a night at the electronic music festival Downtown. We didn't realize it until customers started complaining that she was being a little to personal/emotional with them. She was also checking on them oh... about every five minutes or so, and kept pacing all over the restaurant. Oh, and that was her first week on the job.

While I am telling stories; there was a girl that frantically came in and ordered a soda one day. One of the waitresses noticed she was frantically looking out the windows and such, and didn't want to seem to leave. When we asked if she was alright, she told us a white van had been following her on the way home from school, and a man/men had been trying to get her to enter the van. She ran, and the van followed her, eventually the man had gotten out and tried to catch her, she outran him and entered our restaurant. We offered to call her parents to pick her up, but she said she stayed home alone until her Mom got home.

I seriously questioned to myself, whether she was telling the truth (I still thought the suburbs were safe back then, and somehow different from Detroit, like most suburbanites). However, she then started having a panic attack when she looked out the window. Sure enough, there was a running white utility type van across the paved urban prairies (parking lots) behind the Big Boy, just watching the restaraunt.

I tried to call the police, but was told (this was early on) that the phones couldn't be tied up. When I said I'd call from my cell phone, they took me aside and told me the restaurant didn't need anymore bad press. Instead, he just had one of the waitresses take her home (leaving me with a double work load, grrr).

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2311
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wazooty, the point of this list and thread is more for informational purposes and documentation. As to keeping it positive, it is, it just isn't apparent.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 1889
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget the Borders Express at the RenCen.

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 462
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Coldstone in Royal Oak

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 690
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Big Boy's....14 & Gratiot.

Jdkeepsmiling
Username: Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 338
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My wife and I and the in-laws try to eat out once every couple of months together. Last night we were at Buca Di Beppo in Livonia. In the past we have eaten there and had to wait for seats. However, this time their was no wait, and they had the entire back portion of their dinning room closed off. I would imagine we are going to see more restaurant closings very soon as people retrench and eat at home more. The Wife and I really only eat out for dinner once a month anyway, so we are not making anyone's month.

Maryellen22471
Username: Maryellen22471

Post Number: 128
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the only thing that is going to stay open Walmart? I hope Target survives this.

Thedeadofnight
Username: Thedeadofnight

Post Number: 23
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Starbucks - Eastpointe"

The Starbucks in Eastpointe (Gratiot @ 9 Mile) is still very much open. I pass it every night driving home from work!

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3811
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not just Detroit. A quick snapshot of a few recent closings in the Chelsea and Greenwich Village neighborhoods of Manhattan: http://www.ireport.com/docs/DO C-217670

These are two of the most popular neighborhoods in New York City.

Detmsp
Username: Detmsp

Post Number: 73
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maryellen, you don't have to worry about Target. While other retailers are flirting with bankruptcy and liquidation, Target is still turning a profit.

Ktkeller08
Username: Ktkeller08

Post Number: 28
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 3:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In a real estate class I'm in (who is taught by a veteran and very informative professor), he told us that you could burn down about 1/2 of all the small little strip malls and stores (not the big huge malls, as they have more anchor tenants and usually don't go out due to an anchor tenant pulling out) but usually the single anchor tenant places... and we'll be just about where we'll be at when we're at bottom.

I would imagine that it's actually just as bad if not worse in other parts of the country. I recently drove up to the twin cities and I couldn't believe all the vacant retail space up there... which actually surprised be because the area is known for being the star growth center of the Midwest. It is just that they overbuilt during the building boom. I guess what surprised me the most is that I'm used to seeing old vacant store fronts, but these were brand new places.. Just built and ready for tenants, but there were simply no takers.

So I wouldn't get too down that places are closing, because it's happening everywhere.

Bobby08
Username: Bobby08

Post Number: 143
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"It's not just Detroit. A quick snapshot of a few recent closings in the Chelsea and Greenwich Village neighborhoods of Manhattan: http://www.ireport.com/docs/DO C-217670

These are two of the most popular neighborhoods in New York City"

Not to keep bringing up Anthony Bourdain but his episode on monday featured "Dissapearing Manhattan"
Kinda sad, its going on everywhere

Goose
Username: Goose

Post Number: 106
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

izzy's on the ave. resturaunt in SCS (think this was a place that had a home at one time in New Baltimore)

also the Blockbuster in SCS on Mack appears closed...

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2125
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i believe the plans are to rebuild 14 and gratiot big boy

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 538
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of La Shish, there is a place called Sheesh
located in the CVS strip mall at Newburgh and % mile that has basicly the same menu. The hummus and chicken lemon oragano shish tawok are excellent.

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 539
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of La Shish, there is a place called Sheesh
located in the CVS strip mall at Newburgh and 5 mile that has basicly the same menu. The hummus and chicken lemon oragano shish tawok are excellent.

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 678
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those national chains are closing all over the country. Not just Detroit.

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 583
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Downtown Birmingham is being crushed. There must be 20 stores closing in the past 6 months. I can't even count. It's like every third store on Maple west of Old Woodward.

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 584
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Downtown Birmingham is being crushed. There must be 20 stores closing in the past 6 months. I can't even count. It's like every third store on Maple west of Old Woodward.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2471
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 6:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was there last week at the See Eyeglasses store and nextdoor at Churchills. Both places reported that things were a little slow, but not terrible.

I'm sure Bham is a little ouchy, but if you want "Crushed" I could take you to any number of places and show you crushed. Overstating the straits that Bham finds itself in as desperate will not garner you much sympathy Ray.

When Bham closes all of its store that carry handmade gifts for pets, I will begin to worry, but until then I'm not going to sweat too much.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.