Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » What can be done to remove Monica Conyers from office? « Previous Next »
Archive through March 05, 2009Crumbled_pavement30 03-05-09  11:36 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Samjkra
Username: Samjkra

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to "Ms. Bell" at the City of Detroit Elections office, there are only two qualifications to "petition" for a seat on City Council...(1) resident of the City of Detroit and (2) 18 years old. Are we saying that there is nobody in the City of Detroit who fits these qualifications. She also said you can pick up a petition packet at the Election Office "on the Blvd". Any takers?????

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 994
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MICHIGAN ELECTION LAW (EXCERPT)
Act 116 of 1954
------------------------------ -----------
168.960 Recall of elective county commissioner or township, city, village, or school official; recall of elective district board member; filing petition.

Sec. 960.

(1) A petition demanding the recall of an elective county commissioner or township, city, village, or school official shall be filed with the county clerk of the county in which the largest portion of the registered voters in the electoral district reside.
------------------------------ -------------
168.952 Recall petitions; requirements; submission to board of county election commissioners; determination; notice; meeting; presentation of arguments; appeal; validity of petition.

Sec. 952.

(1) A petition for the recall of an officer shall meet all of the following requirements:

(a) Comply with section 544c(1) and (2).

(b) Be printed.

(c) State clearly each reason for the recall. Each reason for the recall shall be based upon the officer's conduct during his or her current term of office. The reason for the recall may be typewritten.

(d) Contain a certificate of the circulator. The certificate of the circulator may be printed on the reverse side of the petition.

(e) Be in a form prescribed by the secretary of state.

(2) Before being circulated, a petition for the recall of an officer shall be submitted to the board of county election commissioners of the county in which the officer whose recall is sought resides.

(3) The board of county election commissioners, not less than 10 days or more than 20 days after submission to it of a petition for the recall of an officer, shall meet and shall determine whether each reason for the recall stated in the petition is of sufficient clarity to enable the officer whose recall is sought and the electors to identify the course of conduct that is the basis for the recall. Failure of the board of county election commissioners to comply with this subsection shall constitute a determination that each reason for the recall stated in the petition is of sufficient clarity to enable the officer whose recall is being sought and the electors to identify the course of conduct that is the basis for the recall.

(4) The board of county election commissioners, not later than 24 hours after receipt of a petition for the recall of an officer, shall notify the officer whose recall is sought of each reason stated in the petition and of the date of the meeting of the board of county election commissioners to consider the clarity of each reason.

(5) The officer whose recall is sought and the sponsors of the petition may appear at the meeting and present arguments on the clarity of each reason.

(6) The determination by the board of county election commissioners may be appealed by the officer whose recall is sought or by the sponsors of the petition drive to the circuit court in the county. The appeal shall be filed not more than 10 days after the determination of the board of county election commissioners.

(7) A petition that is determined to be of sufficient clarity under subsection (1) or, if the determination under subsection (1) is appealed pursuant to subsection (6), a petition that is determined by the circuit court to be of sufficient clarity is valid for 180 days following the last determination of sufficient clarity under this section. A recall petition that is filed under section 959 or 960 after the 180-day period described in this subsection is not valid and shall not be accepted pursuant to section 961. This subsection does not prohibit a person from resubmitting a recall petition for a determination of sufficient clarity under this section.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(3pdiry55ianj2e450llgdb55))/ mileg.aspx?page=mclbasicsearch

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 1681
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I propose we officially stop calling her MonCon...and in light of some of her allegations and police altercations...

ConMon...?

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 375
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Recall is a non-starter. First of all because there's an election coming up anyway, and most of all because there's no way the votes are going to be there to achieve it.

We'll have a much better idea who the alternatives are once the filing deadline has passed in May and we know who's actually running. But, again, the point is to elect enough good people to render Monica useless. It is highly unlikely that she won't win her seat back, but a swing of 2 seats will probably be enough to cut her off on most important issues. And one of those seats will be vacant (ie. not held by a difficult to defeat incumbent) if Cockrel wins the spring mayoral election.

Ruxy17
Username: Ruxy17

Post Number: 104
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

btw, i was only kidding about shooting miss monica. i cry when my brother kills spiders. i'm not the violent type.

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 376
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I don't think Eastsideal is saying that the history of racism against blacks justifies racism against whites, but rather perhaps explains why it may exist.

Exactly, I would never condone racism. But to act like the years and years of the worst sorts of racism that preceded the present period weren't going to have some counter-effect or give rise to some powerful resentments and suspicions is to deny something very basic to human nature.

History also gives us some guide as to how to come together, work together, communicate, and heal, but ignoring history or treating it like it doesn't exist or shouldn't matter to some people is almost certain to lead to more mutual incomprehension and further conflict.

I'm always surprised when people act as if any history that happened more than a couple of years ago doesn't exist, or at least that it shouldn't have an effect on anyone. And I must admit that my BS detector goes off pretty powerfully whenever I hear white people whining about black on white racism, given that most of our history, even within living memory, consists of nearly endless examples of the opposite.

In Monica's case the objections to her and the labeling are pretty clearly justified, but very often I feel that what's being called "racism" is just someone's problem with African-Americans controlling and using political power.

(Message edited by eastsideal on March 05, 2009)

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 795
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I already have a solid list of who I'm NOT voting for in November..and a few choices amongst the non-incumbents to replace the bad apples, but nothing firm.
John Bennet (of DetroitUncovered & FireJerryO) seems like a fair enough choice..that whacky local news guy Charles Pugh seems like a calm & sane fellow, which puts him ahead of at least three incumbents regardless of his ability to run a city..and then there's CUB, who I'd like to vote into office whether he likes it or not, in revenge for making me run into deep right field too many times..
:-)
Cub's prolly a no-show at this point, but Pugh & Bennet are both real alternatives.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1615
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After May, let's do our homework. We can research the candidates, assemble a slate, then get the word out.

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 732
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Originally posted by Lodgedodger:

After May, let's do our homework. We can research the candidates, assemble a slate, then get the word out.

Sounds like a plan. I'm down for this, especially getting the word out (i.e.: passing out pamplets, campaigning, etc.)

quote:

Originally posted by Eastsideal:

Exactly, I would never condone racism. But to act like the years and years of the worst sorts of racism that preceded the present period weren't going to have some counter-effect or give rise to some powerful resentments and suspicions is to deny something very basic to human nature.

History also gives us some guide as to how to come together, work together, communicate, and heal, but ignoring history or treating it like it doesn't exist or shouldn't matter to some people is almost certain to lead to more mutual incomprehension and further conflict.

Pretty much what I was saying. If you hit a person long enough they are going to hit back - as you said, it's basic human nature. In fact, I'll take it even further - it is the nature of all animals. The point I was trying to make is it's amazing how many people don't understand this. They expect people to be beat up decade after decade and be appreciative for the ass whooping. Ever see a movie where the husband beats his wife and he's wondering why she's in the corner crying and sniveling?

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 1187
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"btw, i was only kidding about shooting miss monica. i cry when my brother kills spiders. i'm not the violent type."

Here's a tip "Ruxy17", if you don't want Lowell to get a visit from the Detroit Police, State Police or the FBI looking for information about your identity, stop posting idiotic comments like the one prior to that one. However you feel about any individual in this community, making comments like that is a good way to get a visit from the local, state and federal authorities. Even joking about it isn't a joke.

Deteamster
Username: Deteamster

Post Number: 195
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a NEW Council-at-large petition going around. If you are a resident of the City of Detroit and want to sign it, let me know.

"I really wish her husband would rein her in"
Not going to happen. They lead seperate lives. He married her because he knocked her up. If he went against her, she would probably go public with the whole "he likes boys" thing he's got going on.

She won the first time because of her name- that's it. She will not come in 1st or 2nd this time because of her actions, but she may well be re-elected.

I am voting for:
Sheila Cockrel
Brenda Jones
Kwame Kenyatta(probably)

Not voting for:
JoAnn Watson

I absolutely fucking despise:
Monica younotmydaddy Conyerz
Princess BRC
Martha washedup Reeves
Alberto Tinsley-Talabi-Williams

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3600
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like your list Deteamster, with the exception of JoAnn. (Although it's nice to see her name spelled correctly!) She's been sort of the point person on council for the incinerator opposition, which marks her as a worthy person on the body. As for MonCon, Tinkerbell, Tinsley-Talabi and Martha, DTMFA!

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 526
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about the Jimmy Hoffa limo service?

Nickstone
Username: Nickstone

Post Number: 61
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First off, very important that the emerging young and thinking population of Detroit register in the city... the fears of sky-high car insurance can be avoided (i saved a ton of money switching to AAA when I came into the city a few years back) and outside of that, there's no reason not to register. It's important... She has made us look bad enough for too long. She in no way represents me or most of us in the city. I vote, I'm going to do what I can to get rid of her. I'm so sad to hear what people I know out of town hear of our city politics and her in particular...

Barebain
Username: Barebain

Post Number: 30
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It seems to me that the demeanor of council has changed since Conyers took over. Yes, there have been instances in the past of BRC with her quotes, and JoAnn with her ideals, but I feel like the president-come-lately has allowed some pretty toxic stuff to go down in chambers. Would the activity of the past weeks have been so... weird with Cockrel setting the agenda?

I fear that Conyers will get back in this next election, albeit with a much lower vote total, but hope that a marginalized presence will diminish her influence.

All I know for sure is that my vote counts.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4227
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bare, yes, Monica has changed the whole tone of council meetings for the worst. Cockrel was halfway able to offset her poor behavior with a steadying hand. Without his steadying hand on council things look to have become a free-for-all.

Conyers is pretty deft at manipulating this chaos and pitting the different personalities and interests on council against each other to disasterous results. It's obvious that she thrives on animosity and these train-wrecks.

Faygoredpop
Username: Faygoredpop

Post Number: 37
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hopefully who ever is running for city council will just go and take the "Worst of the city council" clips and say "Do you want a council member who acts like this??" Then shows the clips, or "Do you want a council member who will actually get things done and not put Detroit to shame doing so."

Zrx_doug

Post Number: 800
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guys, after seeing today's BRC & Mon-Con show, I think it's time for us to make our presence felt at a clownsel meeting.
Someone has GOT to stand up to these fools -hopefully in front of a television camera-, and make the world aware that the whole damned city isn't a part of their insane greek chorus..
Who's up for next Tuesday's regular session? Gnome? Gannon? Cub? Anyone?
I'm mad as hell, and I'm not gonna take it anymore..who's in?

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 781
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 2:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am voting for Kwame,Sheila, John Bennet and Charles Pugh.

I've been in front of council many times with large groups over many many issues. They are out of control and have no problem showing how much they disrespect our citizens.

If you want to start the fun rolling, just remind them that they are public servants. That gets them going every time.

I don't have the stomach to watch them at play anymore. When the weather warms slightly, suggest/organize a demonstration in front of the Spirit of Detroit. I'll be there in a heartbeat.

Zrx_doug

Post Number: 805
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 3:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay..'sposed to be sixty degrees tomorrow.
:-)

Sumas

Post Number: 782
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 4:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'sposed to rain too.

Seriously, talking to this council is a waste of good energy. It is more important to write letters to the press, anything to get out the word that this council is on beyond useless. It is more important to canvas neighborhood organizations, churches, other non profits and community groups.

We have already been canvassing east area groups for consensus on slates. As an Eastsider for 55 years, I feel very strongly that we need a Ward system again.

Most neighborhoods have been neglected for decades but nobody more so then the Eastside.

We live in EEV and also have a very strong neighborhood organization. We are one of the six communities highlighted for special attention. Our streets are paved, our garbage picked up, our streetlights work, the dead Ash trees removed and crime is low. Police response is so so. While this works for us here, EVERY neighborhood deserves these basic services.

I remember the Detroit that was. It is fun to remember but we now need new solutions and new leaders.

I have strong (even controversial)ideas regarding the direction the city needs to go, but alas, I lack charisma and political savvy to push my agendas so I will work hard to support candidates that are not buffoons and that will show personal integrity and vision in addressing the needs of our sprawling neighborhoods that are in decline and quickly being emptied.

I could probably write a volume about my feelings, concerns and ideas for a Greater Detroit but long posts don't get read.

Stay angry but stay focused. We want to effect change not spin our wheels in the mud created by council pissing in and on our vacant lots.

PS: Told you I am not very diplomatic.

Noodles
Username: Noodles

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 6:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I am voting for...Charles Pugh.

Why is that? Because you saw him on the TV?

I can't think of one reason why he's qualified but I look forward to you explaining why you think he is.

Locke09
Username: Locke09

Post Number: 39
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 7:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sumas,

I like your comments, but I also wonder what makes Charles Pugh qualified.

So far, I am only comfortable with Kwame Kenyatta and John Bennet. I would include Sheila Cockrel, but she seems to simply take the side of whoever is the mayor. That's fine when you have a good mayor, I just wonder if she is able to be independent.

That being said, we need a much more diverse council than what we have now. Segments of Detroit's population are not represented at the table. There is no balance.

Don't we also need to have at least one person who the citizens trust to be a strong advocate for them? Someone with the passion (and class) of past councilmembers like Erma Henderson and MaryAnn Mahaffey?

Janesback
Username: Janesback

Post Number: 518
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 7:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now I understand why I have seen so many Michigan license plates on cars here in Houston , Texas........

I had to watch both videos twice, reassuring myself that this is the 21st century

A group like that is self serving, has their own agenda and is obviously out of touch with reality

Sad thing though, many major corporations would avoid Detroit at all costs because of stupidity and ignorance like that shown on the video

Dont they realize they are destroying a city because of their racism, their ignorance and stupidity.......

Well next time I see a Michigan license plate on a car here in Houston, I will wave and ask them if Monica was the reason or were they in the auto business.......Jane

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1620
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zrx, I won't be able to make any meetings for a while. I burned up a lot of time last spring and summer fighting the KK fight. Quite frankly, as angry as I feel right now about those racists on the Council, I might say something I might regret. (But I have written letters...)

Sumas

Post Number: 783
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charles Pugh is a native Detroiter. He suffered horrible tragedy in his youth but is not bitter. He showed focus when young, deciding on a career in Broadcast Journalism. Attended and graduated from a University out of state. Worked around the country but wanted to come back to Detroit. He is upfront about about being gay. When he decided to consider a run for council he sat down with his employers to make sure there would be no conflict of interest.

He has integrity, education, clearly loves this city, knows all of this city, is young and brings diversity to the table. It is a hugh plus that he knows how to act with decorum in front of a camera.

Locke09

Post Number: 40
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just felt like Charles Pugh was a Kilpatrick apologist when he was doing double-duty on the radio (I think it was WJLB). I didn't think he took the negative impact of the Kilpatrick Administration on this city seriously enough.

I'll try to maintain an open mind but I haven't stopped being irritated yet with all the people who I feel propped Kilpatrick up and made it possible for him to hold on as long as he did.

Angry_dad
Username: Angry_dad

Post Number: 333
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Supercharge her trampoline???

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 1351
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe that the majority of your Legislature either despises Detroit or views it as a long running joke. I believe that when the Cobo enabling legislation was passed, the requirement that the Council had to approve any deal was put in with the knowledge that what has happened is exactly what they expected, for their amusement.

All they have to do is amend the legislation to provide that the Mayor's consent is all that's needed. Let's see if they do that. If they don't and change the deal in any way, it will kiss her racist tactics, enable Monica further, and she'll run Detroit for life.

Great thread, very thoughtful. Summarized best in my opinion by Benfield #108 above.

Sumas

Post Number: 784
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the heads up on Pugh. I'll keep an open mind too. My husband agrees with you by the way. He perceived him as too soft on the KK scandal.

A little more disconcerting is a friend teaches a remedial class at a local college. The youth in the class to a person see nothing wrong with KK's behavior, which is a little scary.

Locke09

Post Number: 42
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well Sumas, I know young people who graduated from universities who did not see anything wrong with KK's behavior.

But now some of these same people are looking at Monica and BRC and wondering if they need medication, or at the very least "charm school". So there is hope.

A good slate of candidates to replace them just might work this time.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.