Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Detroit Police...Totally Useless « Previous Next »
Detroit Police...Totally Useless - 1Kathinozarks132 12-29-06  11:35 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 1992
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ribalda my point is that the person that gives genuinely and is not looking to boost ego does it anonymously.

Some would say that you are only boosting your own ego by giving money to someone.Especially since almost one hundred percent of the time the money is going in part or in full to drugs/ alcohol.And that is hastening the demise of those you are giving to. The money given to charity goes for all kinds of things needed to run various programs for the disenfranchised.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1250
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

... anonymously.

I happen to know someone who wants to donate to multiple charities (through snailmail addresses) anonymously, with no return address. What's the best way to accomplish it? Cashier's checks? Money orders? I'm not familiar with these transactions.

I hold no position regarding whether it's better to donate directly to the end recipient or through an organization. What's wrong with donating to both?

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 467
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since we seem to be doing "re-sets" here, and Ribalda mentioned me, I will point out that my original post was in response to Stecks77, who, I felt, had a crappy experience which may have been worsened, for Stecks, by the (apparent) fact that Stecks fostered a somewhat unreasonable expectation of moderate security, based on (what I thought was) an erroneous assessment of the situation in which he found himself. My comments pissed off Stecks. I can live with that, although it gives me no satisfaction or joy. However, I want to clarify that I am not hard-hearted toward the homeless, and I am not an uncharitable person. It's just that, what with living in Detroit for so long, and working very near downtown for 20+ years of that time, I am A) about f***ing tired of being unable to go ANYWHERE, even three minutes at a gas station, without being incessantly hit up for a handout, and B) keenly aware of the fact that a whole bunch of these shameless bastards are not mentally ill, not downtrodden & defeated victims of lives teeming with hard knocks, not such tragic figures at all, but SORRY-ASS MOTHER****ERS who, lacking the desire or guts to make it in the real world (which involves, among other things, EARNING money and surrendering about one-third of it to taxes, taking responsibility for yourself, and maybe letting SOMEONE ELSE depend on YOU,) have elected to wander around the streets, trying to squeeze money out of honest, upright citizens who already have problems of their own. Call me whatever you want to call me, think what you choose to think, but I'm not sleep-walking through life, and I'm saying that it ain't all Les-fuckin'-Miserables out there. A lot of it is 100% bullshit, and if you buy into it, you're getting suckered.

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 5519
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine, meet Gannon.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 101
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine, that was succinct! Amen and pass the biscuits!

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 7778
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 4:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great post Ravine.

Karl! What are you proposing with this introduction? Do you want me to teach him punctuation, paragraph spacing, or emboldening text to make the important words stand out?!

Jimaz, have him buy money orders from the Post Office...they are reasonable and secure...and he will have a receipt IF he wants to claim anything.

Cheers!

Msamericana
Username: Msamericana

Post Number: 57
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 4:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I feel for you. 2 years ago, on the big bar night before Thanksgiving, I had my car broken into there on W. Willis, under a streetlight, 2 cars from the corner of Woodward (and mine was not the nicest car out of the 10 parked there). Lots of people were walking around to the Majestic and Union Street. They didn't get anything but some pennies from the cupholder and broke a burned CD. But it was sad to see. I hear cars frequently get broken into in that area, police presence or not.

Pollybergen
Username: Pollybergen

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 5:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our car was broken into there a few years ago, as were a number of other cars.
The perps were actually caught, the police were called, they apprehended them.
We recovered all of our items, as did many of the other victims.
These boys were younger than us at the time, 18 and 19, black kids,
staring at a bunch of white kids whose cds they had just stolen,
from the back of a cop car.

All I could think was, "These are just kids."
Normally, they would have gotten away with breaking into people's cars at the magic stick
(as this thread testifies). All kids test their limits, the limits are just not well defined here in Detroit.

In short, the police did their job in this instance, but this was 4 years ago, so things have probably changed.

We kind of got off on a tangent on this thread, but I believe the real solution to the crime
AND Karl's tirade on abortion is: money and legal access to it.

When people (especially women) feel secure and that they can afford to care for a child,
they bring it into the world. When that child has access to the things it needs, (with one parent or 20)
he doesn't grow up feeling like he has to steal from out-of-towners.

But I guess we all knew that!
No need to argue about the semantics of, or judge, the choices people make when they have so few options.

Ribalda
Username: Ribalda

Post Number: 56
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 7:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Citylover-

So, you are intimating that by my telling that I give out of pocket to people who I deem downtrodden when I can, that I am only "blowing my own horn", and that my heart really isn't into it, but only to make myself seem charitable to other people. Is this what you are saying? I was using my persona to make a point. I must say that I feel good about myself with what I do for them...and, I will remain doing for them in the way that I do. Mainly because I know for a fact that all of the money that you give to charities does not go directly to the recipient. There is overhead involved. They are lucky to receive 30 o/o. I don't like you very much. You have issues from the past and are trying to take them out on me. I wish that I could bring up dick-size but Gannon has nipped that one in the bud. Darn.

Ribalda

(Message edited by Ribalda on December 28, 2006)

Ribalda

Post Number: 57
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 7:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine-

I think that it's time that you moved to the suburbs. You can get a mobile home in Sterling Estates in Sterling Heights for $500.00 complete, move in costs included. The lot rent is $444.00 a month. These are fixer-uppers, but it's like having a little house that you don't have to pay property tax on. Those people down there are ALL poor. You are living in a poor neighborhood. It must be hard trying to separate the crazy poor from the jive poor. What brought you down there anyway? You don't sound like you are from there. Maybe you should be where there are people from your social class. Maybe you will do better where you are from with people like you. They are not like you down there and will never know how to be like you. You can't stand in judgement of people who have not had the advantages that you have had. They are as they are. I don't live down there. I don't belong down there. I am from a totally different social class. I have friends down there. But, I would never live down there. I like being able to sleep soundly.

Ribalda

Ribalda

Post Number: 58
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 7:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon-

Yes, I walk right up to them and hand them the money. As a female, I don't think that it would be wise of me to linger. I kind of liked my dick-size schtick. You are just trying to make me question myself by throwing all of that psychology at me. I know that I was right. I can sense a pin-dick from a mile away. God has granted me this vision.

Ribalda

You have also intimated that I cannot sense when I am being insulted. I can sense it. Maybe you can't. But, I can. Your way of winning is by commenting on my reaction to these insults as delusional or my own reaction to my ingrams. I am a grown woman and I know when I am being insulted.

Ravine

Post Number: 468
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ribalda, you are bringing up the irrelevant concept of "social class," and speculating about from which one I come, where I would be better off living and working, and telling me Who I Can't Judge (even while your posts virtually froth with judgment.) And, to top it off, you imply that I would "do better" in Sterling Heights, (*gasp*) where there are people from my (har-har) social class, who are more (ohmagawd) like me!! Hopefully, you are very young. Either way, since you are responding not to what I said, but to what you think, this conversation is over. Bon chance, mademoiselle.

Ravine

Post Number: 469
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And, oh Gannon, thanks for the thumbs-up, but don't you mess with me about my punctuation, now. I am very proud of my laboriously over-long run-on sentences. I take pains to keep them (mostly) grammatically sound, but the punctuation part of it gets tricky, so bear with me, or better yet, place bets on the comma or parenthesis over/under for my posts. As for paragraph spacing, when I try to do it, once I hit "Preview/Post Message," my whole post just shoves up into one big mass, so I quit worrying about it, and rant on with no thought to paragraphing.

Ribalda

Post Number: 59
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine-

I was simply stating that since you have nothing in common with your neighbors that it may be better for you to live somewhere else....where you wouldn't be so annoyed with them. You don't sound happy with your present living situation.

Ribalda

By the way, "social class" is not a concept. It is a reality.

On second thought, Sterling Heights is too calm for you. You should stay where you are and be annoyed. At least annoyance is some form of feeling.

Karl

Post Number: 5520
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pollybergen said: "...the real solution to the crime AND Karl's tirade on abortion is: money and legal access to it. When people (especially women) feel secure and that they can afford to care for a child, they bring it into the world. When that child has access to the things it needs, (with one parent or 20) he doesn't grow up feeling like he has to steal from out-of-towners."

Nonsense.

Working backward thru your post: It doesn't matter that victims are from out of town. Most thieves would steal from their granny if they thought they could get away with it.

Sorry to tell you, but security comes from values, not money. Values are taught by parents, preferably from a mom and dad since they bring entirely different perspectives, which then the child gets to hear both of.

Since 1964 when LBJ brought us (and Detroit, as its "model city") The Great Society, billions of $$ have flowed to "the poor", and not only did those on welfare have money and benefits, but they got more money if they had more kids. Today, we have cheap or free abortion and the even the "poor" enjoy a standard of living unimaginable in most other parts of the world.

Your statement "When people (especially women) feel secure and that they can afford to care for a child, they bring it into the world" contradicts all that. If the parents are not secure and can't afford children, then why are they here? Remember, proponents of abortion blather "Every child a wanted child."

Values, values, values. If you don't teach your kids, the street will - and then prison will take over, if the morgue doesn't first.

Janesback
Username: Janesback

Post Number: 186
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine, you stated "Since we seem to be doing "re-sets" here, and Ribalda mentioned me, I will point out that my original post was in response to Stecks77"

------------------------

Ravine is correct in her statements.

I called the SAMM Shelter and Ministries that houses and feeds homeless , indingent and mentally ill people daily, and has done so for decades. They point blank say "DO NOT" give money to homeless for numberous reasons including your own safety.

Not only are you enabling them to continue their unsafe habits of drug usage and drinking, but you put yourself in harms way by exposing your money to them. They are now offering coupons, redeemable by the poor for meals , toiletries and medicine. They, (the professionals) are dead set against giving money to the homeless. Thanks, Jane

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11051
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ya know, I wasn't even gonna respond to this thread, but I can't let this one slip by.

While at my last job, up in Novi, our office was broke into TWICE within a year. Even with an alarm system in place, the criminals still got away with thousands of dollars in hardware both times and never got caught. The police told our office both times that they figure there was a crew hitting most every office in the surrounding area. Where was the police presence? Where were the preventative measures?

The police can't be everywhere 24/7, nor can they respond to every 911 call when faced with much more serious crimes than a vehicle break-in. My best suggestion is preventative measures taken by the individual. Don't store ANYTHING visible inside your car. This means empty cans, jackets, or even empty bags that a passer-by may suspect contains something. Get a club for your car, wheel locks, and perhaps even a car alarm. I personally encourage everybody to obtain a concealed weapons permit, though I realize on here there are TONS of anti-gun folks that would rather be a victim than to protect themselves.

My perspective is that it has more become the obligation of the individual to take the steps required to insure ones safety and that of their belongings. Unless you live in some white picket fence community where the highest priority is catching the driver going 38 mph in a 35, chances are that your vehicle getting broke into isn't going to be at the top of their list.

Gannon

Post Number: 7782
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RiBOLDa,

Girl, God didn't grant you shit. IF He did honey, you've GOT to go get it calibrated. Heh.

I'm trying to get you to question yourself?! That is some grasping for gold...God at least granted you PRIDE!

I was merely questioning you about your exact statement, you said you merely walked up to strangers and gave them cash IF they didn't ask.

IF you are specifically saying that you believe God has given you discernment to 'know' who needs help...then fine, that is another thing entirely that many on this board will simply not understand.

Ribalda, as a grown woman...you need to learn when to realize that a comment doesn't need EVER be an insult...it is often how YOU take it. Even if it WAS intended as such (and originally it wasn't, but afterwards it was because you asked for it) it is STILL on the receiver whether to add their energies being upset about it and lashing back. (you know, just like what I'm doing now to you! damn shame that I have to learn from myself while typing)

I never said you couldn't realize you were being insulted...that is an incorrect perception and understanding of exactly what I said (typical spousal translation error). The words I spoke originally could be taken as an encouragement to put some effort into trying to pull your head out of your apparently fat ass...because it will be a mightily embarrassing emergency room visit, and if you don't address it soon could certainly become impacted, if that isn't already the case.

I tossed it out at first because of YOUR confrontational language...you dissed someone before ME in this very thread, lemme remind you:

quote:

Livernoisyard-

Lay off the pot.

Ribalda

and again:

quote:

You all are just being cold and selfish.

and again:

quote:

You are just blowing words out of your a__, and being uncaring and cold.

So it wasn't even just ONCE...you started throwing shit bombs all over this thread from your third post onwards! (at least now I realize why Karl immediately came to your defense, he senses a kindred spirit for SURE!)

I know I just put way too much work into an attempt at schooling you, but if you didn't so obviously need it...grown woman, gifted by God...then I wouldn't spend the energy or time. Lucky for ME, as usual the schooling went both ways, as I saw myself in the analysis...too often this damn computer monitor acts like a mirror!

And...I would have NEVER brought up anything about your ass if you would have dropped the dick. I know how hard it is for some of you to not envy us, though. Thank God.

Cheers!

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 102
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ribalda, If I don't comb my hair and dress in shabby clothes and pass you on the street, can I have $20?

(Message edited by kathinozarks on December 28, 2006)

Gannon

Post Number: 7783
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karl,

Can we revisit the history of the Great Society?!

It was my understanding that many of the really good programs originally went stale when the government simply started throwing money at the inner-cities to quell the violence nearer the END of the decade.

Only AFTER that did we have the excessive child-production-for-income schemes...and I wonder if any changes in THAT policy didn't then fuel greater abortions once these children lost their economic value to their mothers.

I am NOT justifying any deaths due to abortion...do NOT misunderstand me...I am merely addressing the overall analysis in light of memories of my old mentor's raging against negative analysis of the Great Society. He was one of the original advisors here in Michigan, and even might've worked with those in Washington early in that decade...and just simply hated how it devolved after the riots.

I believe from HIS harsh words (memorable because he NEVER, EVER got that angry with anything else that I remember, save maybe when he met Xtians like you...that's where I get it, btw) that the Great Society was derailed by unwise reactions to the horror of the civil unrest that percolated to a boil during that special time in history...if I am wrong, then I await others to correct me, but I cannot ask my mentor directly since he passed away in early 1998. Damn, cannot believe it's been that long.

Ravine! No worries, if I was going to do anything...it'd be done by now. I don't consider myself one of the grammar nazis, but it was fun to ponder why Karl was making sure we were introduced. (he is SUCH the plotter...)

Cheers.

Gannon

Post Number: 7784
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathi,

NOT if you ask...

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 103
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

tee hee Gannon!

Ravine

Post Number: 471
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon: On the subject of grammar, I posted something on your Plea For Tolerance thread, over in Detroit Connections. Hope you find it amusing.

Karl

Post Number: 5523
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, you've been around long enough to realize government is not the solution to these problems - either by cutting off money for "child production" or funding more money for "programs".

Rather, values (which come originally to our society here in the USA from the Bible, not thru the Constitution) are the best (and only) way to solve these problems.

And please, Gannon and everyone else who've mounted their high horses, dismount and listen: if you can't handle the God/Christian/religious aspects, perhaps start with the values imparted therein. It is the basis of our founding, is not state-sponsored religion, and it is what we've wandered from and tried to replace with "government" - then wonder why it doesn't work.

It starts in the home, folks, and as I said, if it isn't solidly based there, an entire cadre of willing participants will form your kids' values. However, it's potluck out there, so don't be surprised if your kids choose (or accidentally wander into) the wrong pot.

PS - it still takes a man and a woman to make a kid - and that is exactly what it takes to raise 'em too. And spare me the stories of success/failure by deviating from that. Want success? Go with the best odds. No guarantees, just the best odds.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4401
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And what if those ideal parents were never taught those values you hold as sacred?

Ravine

Post Number: 472
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hhmmm... Since Jesus did not have himself, to use as an example, he must have not been much of a Christian. Or something like that. I guess. Huh. I dunno.

Pollybergen

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry to tell you, Karl, "values" do not equal good, law-abiding people. The facts support my statement. Historically, the least number of abortions have taken place when the economy was at its best. Ironically (or not!), those times RARELY coincide with a social conservative government, one that touts the "values" of which you speak.

edited to add abortion statistics by year:
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0005099.html

I'll try to find more recent stats, too

I want to make clear that I wasn't equating money with values, because we all know that is an oxymoron! (Hi GW, here's lookin' at you!)

(Message edited by pollybergen on December 28, 2006)

Pollybergen

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Annnd I want to add that you are perpetuating a stereotype that low class citizens are the only ones that commit crime. How on earth do you back that up?! It is also not true that only lower class citizens have abortions! You are stating your opinions as though they are fact.

That, I would call, nonsense. I will teach my children values, such as: back up your arguments with fact, not judgment.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 804
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thread should go in the Hall of Fame for most off topic posts ever.

Karl

Post Number: 5525
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams asked: "And what if those ideal parents were never taught those values you hold as sacred?"

If ya keep on doin whatcher doin, ya keep on gettin whatcha got.

More for Polly later.

And Pam's as clueless as ever.

Jams

Post Number: 4408
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is an answer?

I've recently observed your "ideal two-parent" family that came from a not so ideal background. They, at best, could be termed "ill prepared".

Using your favorite term, they were "clueless" in raising a family.

What would your solution be?

Or will your solution be to "cut and run" from the hard questions?

Jams

Post Number: 4409
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry for continuing the off-topic posts, but it all has a bearing..................maybe ??

(edit for spelling, ok Karl?)

(Message edited by jams on December 28, 2006)

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 33
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Biology drives us to procreate and spread our genes regardless of class. All children are special and beautiful creatures with potential whether born in or out of 'marriage' which is a cultural construct. Some of the worst monsters in the history of humanity were raised in two parent households. Issues of urban decay and decline; police apathy and misconduct; broken homes; etc. tend to be more complicated than they appear on the surface. There are no guarantees with 'marriage' whether it be the legitamecy (wives cheat)or child behavioural issues.

Jams

Post Number: 4411
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So sad, some of the former posters here that dealt with these issues on a day-to-day basis are not here to add their input.

If you are still lurking, please chime in. If not, I wish you a Great New Year anyways.)

Karl

Post Number: 5526
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams, I'm flattered that you think I have all the answers - sorry to disappoint, but I don't. I'm simply saying that this thread began by seemingly blaming everyone except the parent/parents/family unit initially responsible for instilling values in a child. It is not the job of government, police, schools, courts or whomever to handle this aspect of life.

Yes, I know we can drag out exceptions to every case - monsters came out of ideal homes, wonderful citizens came out of the worst conditions. But in terms of the odds they are best when children are raised in a home with a mother and a father - and those values are instilled there, from the beginning, and emphasized throughout those early, formative years.

Period.

Jams

Post Number: 4412
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, I'm amazed you're willing to concede that much.

I'm a great-uncle six times over, without the attendance at a single wedding of anyone of my nephews or nieces. All of my siblings as well as myself have been through a divorce, we are not unique.

The world defined by Leave it to Beaver or Ozzie and Harriet no longer exists (if it ever did)

Morality is going through a transitional period, and whether or not you accept it, there are few "Absolute Truths".

Karl

Post Number: 5530
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice try, Jams. Moral relativism has always been popular, so enjoy the current fad. With your line of thinking, soon it will be OK to walk up to anyone and pop them (fist, spit, gun or ? take your pick) with no consequences. After all, as you've said, "Morality is going through a transitional period, and whether or not you accept it, there are few "Absolute Truths"."

Sorry, I don't "accept it" and there are more than a few "absolute truths". But I understand your CO thinking - whatever you think, everyone else should accept.

Like I said, nice try.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3473
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell when you run the numbers for 2006, can you tally up a percentage of how many threads no matter what the subject was got turned into tirades on poor parenting, failed liberal policies, and abortion?

Damn Karl is worse than Faux Snooze....

Karl

Post Number: 5532
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, and Lowell, while you're at it, could you tally up (probably on one hand) in how many posts stylin actually makes a point?

Thanks -

Jams

Post Number: 4415
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

. Moral relativism has always been popular, so enjoy the current fad

So a few centuries ago, you would have gone willingly to the rack or stake to be be burned for your beliefs as a Protestant?

Values change over time, accept that, no matter how difficult. No matter how much you have a desire for the "ideal" two parent family to cure society's woes, it is not going to happen soon.

What do you have to offer in the meantime as an alternative?

Karl

Post Number: 5537
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing.

If a single parent doesn't seek out something to fill the void (and/or work doubly hard to fix the problem) expect trouble - trouble that the Detroit Police Dept/court system/prison will wearily & feebly attempt to solve.

Jams

Post Number: 4418
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you for your judgmental attitude without a clue to change the reality.

Did not your Son of God offer more?

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 50
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I look at the crimes that we are talking about in this thread as crimes of opportunity(car break-ins, stick ups etc.) versus crimes of passion which is directed a person. The crimes of opportunity are the crimes that affect the quality of life in a city. We can talk values, parenting etc and I agree that all are important.
Regardless of class and upbringing people are going to make decisions, many times that decision is based on if they can get away with it.

I contend that as a society we have to look at a fundamental change in the way we sentence people who are convicted of a crime. The sentence must be long enough and sure enough that it sends a message not only to the person but society at large that these quality of life crimes aren't worth the effort. For example using a handgun in the commission of a crime is an additional 2 years. How about making it 10 years. The person may think to stick someone up and risking 10 years minimum isn't worth it. Now that person might instead put a box cutter or knife to your throat but at least you as a victim has a fighting chance. Of course the down side is in the short term our prisons will be overcrowded until people get the message. However in the meantime if we change our corrections philosophy from rehabilitation to punishment we can accommodate and pay for the additional prisoners.

I am not a heartless person but sometimes people must be made to do the right thing. For most people proper values and parenting will do the trick. However there is a significant group that you have to play the reward and punishment game with.

Without a shift in how we address these crimes of opportunity we will continue to do the things we are doing... car alarms, localized police presence(no such thing as prevention) and avoiding certain areas all together.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 104
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
If you didn't buy it, make it, or have it given to you - it isn't yours to have.
Respect is earned.
Have integrity.
Do what is right, because it's right.
You get more bees with honey than vinegar.
Don't litter.
Respect your property and that of your neighbors.

You all know at least one more moral gem that your parent(s) taught you. They all seem simple to me and you, but for some reason millions of humans don't get it. Go figure.

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 131
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Firstandten,

You make many intelligent points. I do not entirely agree with all of them, but you raise several interesting issues.

I am not sure that I would support a ten year punishment for the use of a firearm during a crime (though I think in some cases a punishment greater than 2 years is warranted, too), but I do think your point about sending a sure message to those who commit crimes is very important.

What I agree with wholeheartedly is we should focus more heavily on enforcement, especially when it comes to what you call crimes of opportunity. The vast majority of people would not go out and murder or rape someone, even if they knew they would not be caught (though a greater number would). The crimes are simply that awful, and most people are decent people and would not do such terrible things. When it comes to small scale property crimes, however, I think that many people would commit those crimes if they believed they would not be caught. Whether this comes from poverty or lack of good parenting or whatever remains secondary. Most important is that if people believe they will get away with small scale crimes, they will be significantly less deterred from committing them.

Frankly, I think that Detroit's crime problem continues to worsen because of systematic underenforcement of the criminal laws. When police to do not adequately patrol high crime areas, when the judicial system remains inefficient, and when even 911 calls are sometimes not responded to, it becomes inevitable that criminals will become more brazen. If the city had enough resources to dedicate to effectively enforce laws against small property crimes, not only would the city pick up offenders wanted for more serious crimes (see the "broken windows" theory of crime fighting), but we would see a drop in all kinds of crimes of opportunity.

Criminals must be sent the message that crime will not pay, and that if they commit a crime, they face a significant chance of being caught.

Lastly, I do not entirely agree on is that the system should pursue greater enforcement at the expense of rehabilitation programs. In some cases, rehabilitation can be very effective. I think any effective crime fighting system must employ both approaches.

Gannon

Post Number: 7787
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 1:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karl,

I understand where you're coming from, and while I largely agree with you on all the probable potential benefits of the ideal household...we are so far beyond that being a solution to society's ills that is ridiculous to propose them as THE solution. They are NOT ridiculous ideals by ANY stretch of the imagination! (just not the solution here and now, with of course NO way to legislate how many parents occupy a dwelling with children, nor how good a job they do singly or in multiples or in any blend of genders)

We've done a bang-up job making THINGS more important to life's apparent fulfillment than PEOPLE or IDEALS...which is actually a product of unchecked corporate capitalism unleashed on unsuspecting sheople! I'm not going to propose an immediate rush to socio-capitalism as the solution, because it would do NOTHING to fix things NOW. (no matter how crucial I consider it to the continuation of American society)

So...that said, and I HOPE to have helped calm the heat down in this thread with that statement (since it does acknowledge Karl's ideals along with the reason why they are not a solution that would be applicable immediately, but rather a generation or two down the road)...where do we go from here?

Do we help those desperately enough in need or want to justify encroaching upon other's property and person...or do we hold them in some jail where they will be a burden to society instead of a potential future benefit if and when they get their head on straight?!

Are they redeemable or not?! That is always the million-dollar question...reform or incarcerate...or both?

Thing is, we all know how bad the crime is here in Detroit...I am keenly aware EVERY time I leave my loft...but without resources for more cops (which really isn't the solution anyways)...how can we as citizens come together and learn to make things improve?

It seems the Majestic has continued to be a magnet for unsuspecting sheople...suburban emo kids, as I think I read over at Fudge...and they MUST know this is an issue.

Perhaps they can give a wee discount on cover or product to anyone who can prove they paid for parking in their guarded lots to encourage that practise...then advertise very clearly that they are NOT responsible for what happens in the street.

Give people an attractive option with benefits (not just the pain of paying for parking, which for many is just one less drink in their budget)...then let folks KNOW about it, so they can choose wisely.

Hell, it wouldn't be tough to give drink discount tickets right when the emos strut through the door with their parking stub...or better yet, free cover and sodas for the designated driver of a full carpool. (2 seat vehicles excepted, heh)

Is this the FIRST thing I've said ON TOPIC in this thread?!

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 827
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ribalda, for a newbie, you sure shoot the insults. If YOU don't like the folks on this forum, go elsewhere. There is NO NEED for such language and anger here. If you want someone to leave you alone, then stop feeding into and responding to them! Are you 12? Calling people names and telling them to go F themselves is no way to act. Your last post on here reeks of HATE (and you are a self described "good person"? Good people don't spew hate as that last post did.

Ribalda

Post Number: 62
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitteacher-

Now, don't you start on me too. Just correct my grammar and leave it at that. Go back to the last post by this Gannon character where he was saying something about my head up my big ass. J.C. And, I don't hate this guy. His stupidity and ignorance revolts me. I also said that they were not getting the last word. And, so far I don't like it here. Read this whole thread to see how this manifested itself.

Ribalda

(Message edited by Ribalda on December 29, 2006)

Ribalda

Post Number: 63
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Janesback-

That's my point. I am not afraid to give them money.

Ribalda

Ribalda

Post Number: 64
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathinozarks-

If you are broke, for some good aberration, I will give you $20.00 bucks. You don't even have to be messy.

Ribalda

Karl

Post Number: 5540
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I won't pile on Ribalda's case. It is obvious she is a product of the ghetto, and her short fuse leading to explosive language is most likely tied to her diet of lead paint chips as a child.

I'm sure she's a very nice person, small a-- and all.

Ribalda

Post Number: 65
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon-

I have gone back and have been reading all of your posts on this thread. You are a quasi-intellect who is extremely full of shit. You have no vision and no sensitivity....until I bring up the size of your member....which leads me to believe that I am right about it....visionary that I am.

Ribalda

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1159
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow there's been some quick deletion of posts in here.

Ribalda

Post Number: 66
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karl-

I am beginning to like you a lot. How did you know? "In The Ghetto" "In The Ghetto" (sung to the tune of "In The Ghetto").

Ribalda

Ribalda

Post Number: 67
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pffft-

I guess it was a little harsh. Cityteacher made me see the error of my ways.

Ribalda

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1430
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i thought everyone knew that parking on alexandrine and willis near the majestic was a risky venture, its been that way for YEARS and even if you didn't, perhaps all of the broken glass on the ground would've tipped you off.*

*this is not making excuses for the police, its a pretty shitty situation, but its not a new phenomenon

Ribalda

Post Number: 68
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thread makes me feel like an animal in a cage where anybody can come and look at me and throw stuff of do whatever because I am locked up and can't do anything to them but snarl and hiss. Breaking the ice with new people is really wierd. And, do you know what the bloody answer is? Shut-up and quit trying to intellectualize everything with those big dime-store words and just love each other. Love solves ALL problems. Jump in my shit now.

Ribalda

Amy_p
Username: Amy_p

Post Number: 741
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ribalda:

With undue respect, you might want to look back on your role in shit-jumping. It's kind of crappy that you blast out and then delete your most egregious posts, leaving responses to you hanging out of context. And talking about member size of the fellas on the list? If you were young, that could be dismissed and disregarded; but...

From the last disappearing post of yours, this line was the silliest to me, given the tenor of your posts:

quote:

And, this goes for the rest of you ass-holes that think that you can keep on jumping in my shit.

Breaking new ice isn't easy, but you might try a warming up approach and leave the ice picks out of it.

--Just another asshole (I prefer the non-hyphenated version) with too much time on her hands this morning

Pffft

Post Number: 1160
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ribalda,

"Love"? Wow, that's rich.

Your version of "getting to know people" has nothing to do with love.

Detroitteacher stood up to you, therefore, like all bullies, you backed down.

Ribalda

Post Number: 69
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK Amy-

I'm feeling good. I like member jokes. Especially directed at serious quasi- intellectuals (as you can see, it's hyphenated) with a lot of words and nothing to say. As James Brown (R.I.P.) would have said; "Like a dull knife. He's just not cuttin'. He's talkin' loud. And, sayin' nothin", sayin' nothin', sayin' nothin' ". Care to do the boo-ga-loo (down Broadway, yeah, Funky Broadway. Baby, oh Baby....)? I used to speak in bumper stickers. But now, it's song lyrics.

Ribalda

Ribalda

Post Number: 70
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pffft-

Detroit teacher didn't stand up to me. He gave me some advise....which I took. Everybody is like, had too much coffee or something. I'm a bully? LOL Yo Mama!!

Ribalda

Ribalda

Post Number: 71
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Listen Guys-

I have to go to get some cat litter. I will tell you one thing about me so that you will have something to relate to and to pick apart while I am gone. My favorite bass player is Anthony Jackson. He plays with a pick.

Ribalda

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 7290
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ribalda, keep an eye on the Detroit Connections threads entitled "FSC." I want you to come to the next one and sit by me.

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 51
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cman710- thanks for the feedback just for a couple points of clarication. The 10 years for a gun charge is just a number. I don't know what that number is but it needs to be a number that would register to the majority of people that the crime isn't worth the time. It could be 5 years or 8 years. I think we can agree however that 2 years is not enough of an incentive not to do these types of crimes.

If as a society we ever decided to enforce the laws and not underenforce in the short term the strain on our corrections system would be too much. Thats why I said focus on the punishment aspect, and let other organizations focus on the rehab part, once the inmate completes the sentence.

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 134
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Firstandten,

I agree with you that the number needs to be something that would register with the majority of people. For some people, two years would be enough to accomplish that (for the vast majority, in fact). But for others, who may have repeated experience with the criminal justice system, such a penalty might be far less threatening and a heavier sentence more appropriate.

To actually set a number across the board would actually be difficult without looking at the punishment for the underlying crime. If you consider murder, for example, the penalties are often pretty steep (I am from NY, so I do not know what the penalties would be in MI). That being so, it might not be necessary to add the extra punishment for the commission of murder with a firearm, as the normal sentencing range might be sufficient to provide adequate deterrence. On the other hand, with some other crimes, like assault or armed robbery, the punishment for the underlying crimes might be less severe, and may thus warrant a greater increase in punishment for the use of a firearm during commission of the crime.

These nuances are why many states formulated sentencing guidelines, but because of the recent Blakely and Booker decisions from the Supreme Court, states and the federal government can no longer make sentencing guidelines mandatory. That means that states need to rely on legislation (like mandatory minimums or mandatory sentences for use of firearms), rely on judges' sentencing discretion, or a combination of both.

Lastly, I think you make a very fair point regarding the high short-term cost of increased enforcement. How to allocate limited resources remains difficult, but I would agree that more resources need to be allocated to (1) increase Detroit's police force, and (2) enforcement the laws combating "small" crimes (this may be costly, since it may entail getting more officers out on foot). Greater enforcement will also bring higher costs in terms of housing those caught in jails.

At least as effective, of course, would be better leadership and more efficient use of the DPD's current resources. That would cost little, if anything, and would have great impact.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9094
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am laughing my ass off at this thread. It is hilarious! Keep giving each other shit...misery loves company!

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 107
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Goat! You're really pissing me off right now. Don't sit there acting like you didn't do anything!

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9103
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please post what I have done?
I think it is hilarious watching people feed off each other. I'm guilty of getting pissed off on the 'net too (why I don't really know but I do sometimes)but it is fun to watch other people go at it for a change.

Now back to the fighting you bastards!

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 112
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I shouldn't have to tell you, you should know!
And since you don't know I'm not going to tell you!

Janesback

Post Number: 187
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ding ding ding...........round 2.........

Happy New Year Detroiters and Peace on Earth. .........

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 113
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

eh..heh, heh, heh. Goat, I'm just messin' with you, tee hee :-) Starting some fake shit.
I really "got your goat", huh!? I hope i didn't really upset you.
When Ribalda is gone everyone is so silent. I can't wait til she gets back from the store. :-)

(Message edited by kathinozarks on December 29, 2006)

Janesback

Post Number: 188
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^6

wonder what the name of Ribaldas' cat is? Anyone want to guess?

Ill try Fluffy, Fluffy the cat........

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 828
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Teacher is a "she" btw, not a "he". I didn't point out jack to you, Ribaldo...I stood up to you. Get my intentions correct.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 114
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yay! As soon as Ribalda gets back she will try to destroy Detroitteacher!!!
But, Dt will be up to the task!! A heated discussion on 'intentions'. Oh man, I can't wait!:-)

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 829
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hehehe, I just HATE when folks think they know what I am thinking and what I am trying to do. Baldo is acting like a 3rd grader (nothing against 3rd graders if anyone has one) but jeez, name calling, being rude...I wasn't pointing that out, had already been done...I was standing up to the juvenile acting "adult".

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3816
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is Jalrone back?

Moreta
Username: Moreta

Post Number: 285
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My thoughts exactly, Patrick.

Lurking around here is so amusing sometimes.

Janesback

Post Number: 189
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

pass the popcorn please, something tells me we are going to be in for a bumpy ride when ribaldi comes back and takes on Detroit teacher.......

ding ding, round 3.......... Jane

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 61
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thread should be reported to the DPD for its assault and battery of my intelligence. What was it about again?

Iseries840
Username: Iseries840

Post Number: 322
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Theft, Detroit Police, Pizza, Abortion, Welfare, 2 Parent Households, Penis size, Homeless people, Charities, Mobile home parks, The Great Society, Grammar and quasi-intellectals.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 830
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've said (typed) what I wanted to say. Balda can have the last word with me, I am NOT going to banter with someone who is obviously challenged.

Gannon

Post Number: 7796
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

:-)

Jacaden
Username: Jacaden

Post Number: 28
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dear Iseries840,

Please add "well-intended bad faith" to your list.

Love,

Detroit Professor

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 118
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RIBAAAAALDA!.RIBAAAAAALDA!.Come out and playeeeaaayyyy!!!!:-)

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 27
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For gods sake, I'm the teenager here and even I haven't said anything as bad as Ribalda.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 831
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's keep it that way, Scs...

Welcome to the forum!

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 120
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scs100, welcome to the best, most wierd thread I've found so far on DY!
Unfortunately, Ribalda went out for kitty litter early this afternoon and hasn't been heard from since. She has single-handedly made this the multi-topic thread that it is.
How old are you? Do you live in Detroit or the area? Can I even ask these questions?

Scs100

Post Number: 28
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks.

Ribalda, can you honestly tell the difference between a guy down on his luck, a guy who uses drugs, an alcoholic, or mentally unstable. I give out cash when I have spare change or dollars but only to people who will do something for it. Like playing music for example. This means they are actually doing something for it and it shows that they are not likely unstable (or unstable and just very good at music.) Besides, you can't tell who you are giving the money to. I know someone from Grosse Pointe who's dad went to I-94 and Moross and got at least $20 acting like a homeless person. Dont give money away like that if you are smart. Eventually you'll end up going bankrupt from over generosity.

Scs100

Post Number: 29
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm about around 20, I live on the eastern edge of the metro area and I'm trying to answer these by being as general as possible. I ended up reading the whole thread before I posted.

Scs100

Post Number: 30
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh and as to the kitty litter, she probably got held up by some guy she was giving charity to.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 832
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe her cat attacked her...

Scs100

Post Number: 33
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now THAT is good. Any other ideas?

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 121
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've read every post and it's hard to figure out some of them! Rambling.
Good to you for being general and shame on me for even asking. Just curious I guess.
What's your take on the supposed "useless" police force in D?

Scs100

Post Number: 35
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't worry, I've got plenty of shotguns in my basement :-) Actually no. But as for the police, I've seen enough to say they are only good for sweeps on criminals and not actually responding to the field. And as I live near two hospitals and about 500 burned out houses in one block, I'd say the cops aren't great. Besides, if someone can run around stabbing people in downtown and I find out about it through the archdiocese, that can't mean good things for the force.

(Message edited by SCS100 on December 29, 2006)

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 122
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well done, Scs100.
I don't, however, see anything in your latest post that Ribalda can pick apart.
Maybe she will refer to your post of 8:12 and try to rip you apart. Be warned! tee hee

Scs100

Post Number: 43
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathin, might wanna delete that one as well or it won't make any sense, like half of this thread.

Jams

Post Number: 4422
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, this has been one of the wildest rollercoaster threads in some time. We had been a bit passive and polite for awhile.

Scs100

Post Number: 44
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Definitely. I got into a fight with trainman about commuter support, although that involved a blanket statement made in there. Nothing like this. And no problem.

(Message edited by SCS100 on December 29, 2006)

Jams

Post Number: 4423
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A fight with Trainman?

How unique. :-)

Scs100

Post Number: 45
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Something to do with bus service not having handicapped service. Seen that lately?

Jams

Post Number: 4425
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trainman still posts here?

I wondered what those blocks of letters were as I scrolled.

Scs100

Post Number: 46
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, haven't seen him since before Christmas, so I don't know about now. Maybe I should start a separate thread asking :-)

Jams

Post Number: 4427
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hell no!

Scs100

Post Number: 47
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hehehe. what a waste of space that would be.

Jams

Post Number: 4428
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's with all the red dots? Those were exclamation points I typed to reinforce the point I was making.

Scs100

Post Number: 48
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's the way the type is set. Try making a smiley face with a colon and 0 parenthesis. It automatically turns it into a smiley.

Jimaz

Post Number: 1256
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

\rgb{ff0000,\char{149}} does this too:

Scs100

Post Number: 50
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok..... thats a new one. not trying that all out though. too much for one like me. :-)

Jimaz

Post Number: 1258
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scs100

Post Number: 51
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WHATTTTTTTTTT! This has gotten really off topic. And none of the ones I try work :-(

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 129
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

!

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 130
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that's wierd.

Scs100

Post Number: 52
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no kidding

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 133
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These are exclamation points.
I guess multiples are not allowed!
Too dramatic!

Scs100

Post Number: 55
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol. going by the coney line, and to be general, what state are you from, since you asked me.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 135
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

missouri/arkansas area in general, eh..heh, heh,heh...

Scs100

Post Number: 58
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

good enough. thanks, although I doubt any coneys would make it down there. hehehehe

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 136
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It seems that as inexpensive as they are they would be popular in our city full of cheap people. I would love to open a Coney restaurant, but probably never will.
This has nothing to do with DPD, so I won't post anymore about anything not DPD related.
I think this thread is done anyway.
It was way to caustic!

Scs100

Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amen.

Jams

Post Number: 4434
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why not, we started with a window being smashed and argued many different points so...

Lafayette or American?

Jams

Post Number: 4435
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Although no one ever answered my question....

Where did the cops get the pizza from?

Scs100

Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lafayette. Best Coneys.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 138

Lafayette and say hi to motownman on the other thread about his grandpa opening THE first Lafayette in Detroit!

Scs100

Post Number: 66
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nearest pizza shop?

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 139
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The place on Woodward by nine mile. Oh, what is it called?...Last time there 1 1/2 years ago.
I know it's not Detroit, but it is my favorite pizza place. Thin crust, perfect amount of tomato sauce and great cheese. Not Rialto, or is it? You go in the back where there is a parking lot and it's down from The Post bar. Someone help me!

Tkshreve

Post Number: 62
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laffayette is the home of the looooooose!!

Scs100

Post Number: 67
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't been down there in years so don't ask me about that pizza shop.

Gannon

Post Number: 7797
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathi,

Shame on you for trying to show such excitement in front of the youngsters. Heh.

Lowell covers those exclamation points for a reason.

Hey...I only ramble because I'm handicapped!

Overactive brain coupled to eager fingers...y'all are LUCKY there is an edit button.

LUCKIER for the 'digital filter' of the internet and your computer.

(I guess my fingers count in that descriptor as well...never quite thought of 'em as filters, but they certainly are digits)

There's a REASON I have a reputation with the 'tangibles'...what I call those I've met in real life...or IRL, as Lowell says it.

Damn shame they haven't discovered what a damper alcohol can be on this run-on-stream-of-consciousness handicap, or they'd ALL be buying me drinks when we meet just to get me to that point where I shut-the-fuck-up earlier.

(that would be STFU, before the acronym police arrive)

I guess my problem is following a few years behind ErikD...because HIS works the opposite.

(Message edited by Gannon on December 30, 2006)

Gannon

Post Number: 7798
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure both of the other long-term forumers would agree.

Scs100

Post Number: 68
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What would we do without you Gannon.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 140

I looooooove the looooooose! Why, oh why haven't Coneys been brought down south!
Boring old biscuits and gravy, chicken fried steak, bad chinese buffets, bad pseudo-Mexican. The list of food monotony goes on. *weeps*

Tkshreve

Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ALERT ALERT ALERT

Detroit cops do not respond to break ins unless looooooose burgers are included in the report!

Gannon

Post Number: 7799
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who cares at this point?

I really wish Lowell would or could publish the number-of-views count like I've seen on other forums. Occasionally the number of posts will indicate the popularity of a thread, but it almost ALWAYS shows the temperature.

I'm craving a couple Duly's loose burgers now, you two are mean.

Tkshreve

Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

looooosen up Gannon :-)

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 141
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, you are a hoot! I'm not even sure I understood half of what you just typed! I think it was funny, though.:-)
I have to go to sleep now, so you guys have a great evening. Maybe Ribalda will chime in somewhere.

Gannon

Post Number: 7800
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, you three.

Heh.

Gannon

Post Number: 7801
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WAIT a minute, Kathi...I lost you on 7799?!

Gannon

Post Number: 7802
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Handicap might be worse than I suspect.

More I learn, the more I think I have a case against the Catholic Church for not recognizing it during my expensive twelve-years incarceration at ol' St. Alphonsus.

Jams

Post Number: 4436
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon,
Night-Night, see you at Heather's SASS tomorrow afternoon, my friend. No Duly's tonight.

Observe the watch as it gently swings to and fro, your eyelids are getting heavy, you can barely hold them up....

Karl

Post Number: 5561
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rosie = woof woof

Pffft

Post Number: 1166
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hmmm..,.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1011
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mmmmmmmm dulyyyyys agagaggagaga...

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 149
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, off topic stuff gets erased to save space or something? That's cool I guess.
Well, on topic I'll just say that I wouldn't be a cop in D for anything!
Just seeing crime scenes with all the blood and gore would mess me up too much. No thanks.
Since so many Detroiters say the problems start way up, I would say that the cops are doing the best with what they are given.
You get a bad attitude when you are treated like crap by your bosses and no one seems to care what you think or say, you know?
(just one of my two cents!)

Qweek
Username: Qweek

Post Number: 108
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I feel like Linda Blair (head spinning) after reading all this!

I'm hungry, disturbed, perplexed and thinking about penis size, oh yeah...the law and order thing.

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 1968
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

mmmmmmmm dulyyyyys agagaggagaga...

Just smoked a fatty, eh, Chuck?

Pffft

Post Number: 1167
Posted on Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 12:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's really been cleaned and sanitized in here, hasn't it? Someone has a big mop and a bucket of Clorox.

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 551
Posted on Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think Riblader is coming back. Maybe she walked out for the cat food and was hit by a dump truck. If only...

Amy_p
Username: Amy_p

Post Number: 742
Posted on Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BANG!