Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » ::: Detroit Schools Mega Thread ::: » St. Ambrose High and Church « Previous Next »
Archive through June 13, 2007Karen882430 06-13-07  5:20 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Newport1128
Username: Newport1128

Post Number: 57
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The cornerstone from St. Ambrose High (A.D. 1919) is now displayed on the plaza which covers the ARC gathering space, next to the church. There is also a stone statue, about 4 ft. high. of a figure in bishop's robes, which I guess is supposed to be Ambrose. I don't remember this statue either inside or outside the old school. Does anyone else? It looks like an outdoor statue.

Tony_box_42
Username: Tony_box_42

Post Number: 46
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is St. Ambrose. It was on a pedestal
outside of the Principals office.
I spent a lot of time praying to it
waiting to be called in side.

Conman
Username: Conman

Post Number: 25
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol. You too Tony?

Margaret
Username: Margaret

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow, that statue of St. Ambrose was only four feet high? I remember it as much taller, but that could be the pedestal thing. hahahaha, remember that one class, I think it was the class of 66, or 67, did a prank: they took that statue from its usual place in the hall and put it on top of the roof, looking over the front of the high school? hilarious for some reason. still makes me laugh. well, I don't remember praying to it, but maybe I should have been? big grin at all you Cavaliers...

Newport1128

Post Number: 60
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The statue indoors near the office was a taller, painted, plaster statue. The one I was referring to that is on the plaza is unpainted stone.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1279
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Newport, Lindsay said your name sounds familar but he can't remember a face. Chris said "Class before me, heavy-set guy with black hair"

Newport1128

Post Number: 62
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crew, not as heavy set then as I am now ;) , and, alas, the black hair is gray now. Does Lindsay have any of his old yearbooks?

Crew

Post Number: 1280
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Probably. He lives in Texas now though.

Newport1128

Post Number: 63
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Texas? What part? My daughter lives in Austin, and I'll be visiting her later this week.

Crew

Post Number: 1290
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lindsay is in San Antonio. Chris is in Kalamazoo and Marianne lives outside of Dallas.

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 52
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Conman : Me too ! I am the product
of a Catholic education,
and I have the scars to
to prove it.
Newport: Could it be the statue
that was over the entrance?

Newport1128

Post Number: 64
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tony_box,
I don't recall a statue over either of the 2 entrances that faced Hampton. Last week, I
e-mailed the church office to find out where the statue came from, but no reply so far.

Newport1128

Post Number: 65
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The mystery of the St. Ambrose statue has been solved! The statue was originally located on the exterior wall of the convent, and faced the high school across the street (Hampton). You can see where the bricks were replaced in the convent wall when the statue was removed. The deacon of the church confirmed its original location. The statue and cornerstone from the school are now preserved in a wall located on the plaza next to the church.

Newport1128

Post Number: 66
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Class of 1967 40th Reunion - Saturday, September 15 at the ARK gathering space next to St. Ambrose Church. For more information, contact Sue Molitor at suestruth@gmail.com

Check out the parish website at stambrosechurch.net. There is a neat picture of the dedication ceremony of the church from the 1920's, a brief history of the parish, and a photo of the renovated interior.

Margaret

Post Number: 30
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey Tony, let's compare scars! LOL...

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 58
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've still got 'em. Proud of 'em too.

Ginny_keusch
Username: Ginny_keusch

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Attended from 1st through 9th grade. Was in the class of '70

Newport1128

Post Number: 73
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome Ginny,
Also attended grades 1-12, Class of '69. Any brothers or sisters who attended Ambrose?

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 22
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody remember the name Tom Beer? I think he was an outstanding football player back in the early 60's? I think a friend of mine may have played football there also, John Gagnier.

Newport1128

Post Number: 115
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tom Beer must have graduated in 1965 or before. I was there 1965-69, and he's not in any of those yearbooks. I do remember hearing his name around the school when I was in 7th or 8th grades, though. I don't recall John Gagnier's name.

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 25
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

John G. probably graduated about '62 or '63. I think he participated in football, track and baseball.

Goirish1966
Username: Goirish1966

Post Number: 26
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 7:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

stinger4me:

tom beer graduated in 1963. he then played football at u of d until the school cancelled the program, then transferred to u of houston. he played professional ball with the denver broncos.

Crew

Post Number: 1351
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was he related to Rob Beer? He was a GPF fireman for a long time and a friend of my brother's.

Jmtouran
Username: Jmtouran

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 6:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi all,

I'm trying to put together a gift for my father and would like to verify something first. He's a St. Ambrose alumn from about '48 to '52. Is/was the mascot back then the Cavaliers? Also, does anyone know where an image of the mascot is? Groing up, all I remember is him repeating a "ambrose, ambrose, ra, ra ,ra . . . " etc chear. Thanks for any help.

Newport1128

Post Number: 119
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jmtouran,
Unless someone else on here knows different, I believe the mascot was always the Cavaliers. I have yearbooks from '66-'69 that have the Cavalier on the cover, and would be happy to send you a photocopy. You can e-mail me at jddelaney@wowway.com and give me your mailing address. Margaret, a frequent poster, was an Ambrose cheerleader. She might be able to give you the words to some more chants. One I recall is: "We are the Cavaliers, the mighty, mighty Cavaliers. Everywhere we go, people wanna know, who we are, so we tell 'em, We are the Cavaliers, the mighty, might Cavaliers....etc."

Jmtouran

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Newport. That helps.

One other question: what are the Cavalier's colors?

Thanks,

Jeff

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 86
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maroon and White for the sports teams.
BLACK and BLUE for the rest of us.

Margaret

Post Number: 94
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL Tony! Jmtouran, I'm trying to remember. I was a St. Ambrose cheerleader in '68 and '69, we did lots of dancing-type cheers, in the Motown style: A A, M M, B B, R R, O O, S S, EEEEEEEEEE, A-M-B-R-O-S-E!!!; then repeat (forever LOL). it was done with a "soul" beat, as were most of our cheers as I recall. yes: "Maroon and white fight fight, maroon and white fight!" again in a rhythmic soul style. having a difficult time remembering others that were specifically about the Cavaliers or Ambrose. I'll keep thinking, though. I don't recall us having an actual mascot for the teams...anyone? One of my favorite memories is of the stuffed, rowdy football buses to our "home" field in Hamtramck, all of us screaming that "We are the Cavaliers" song/cheer pretty much all the way across town to the field. member that, anyone? sorry I can't think of more cheers for you, Jmtouran...like I said, I'll keep trying!

Newport1128

Post Number: 123
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Margaret, how about "Gimme a ticket for an Ambrose game/Ain't got time to watch no other game", sung to the tune of "The Letter" by the Boxtops: Gimme a ticket for an air-o-plane, ain't got time to take a fast train...".

Yep, I remember those bus rides to Hamtramck and wherever else we played. We also prayed on the bus, too, remember? Not just for a victory, but so that our players would be safe and injury-free. After we got back, the players always stopped outside the church and said a prayer, win or lose.

Margaret

Post Number: 99
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jump back, Class of '69 at Ambrose! Newport here is beginning to organize the big bad 40th Class Reunion! be afraid, be very afraid...

oh, right, Newport, I remember that "gimme a ticket" cheer now...

Newport1128

Post Number: 124
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn straight, Margaret. It's going to be a themed costume event. Come dressed as your favorite nun. I got dibs on Sister Catherine John. Punch will be served from the baptismal fountain. That funny smell in the parking lot? It's just incense, officer.

Jmtouran

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 6:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey all - thanks for the help. This is the site that I am using for some christmas presents for all my family. www.prepsportswear.com The only school not listed that I need is Ambrose. I have followed the link to add a school - so hopefully they will add it soon. Anyone interested in Ambrose apparel may want to follow the link to add a school.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3465
Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check with The Pointe After, Mack Ave, one block south of Moross:

http://www.thepointeafter.com/ Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen= CTGY&Category_Code=HMST

Jmtouran

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even better - thanks. Order is placed!!!

Thanks,

Jeff