Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » St. Matthew » St. Matthew - 1 « Previous Next »
Archive through February 05, 2007Tarkus65 02-05-07  8:18 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Chalu64
Username: Chalu64

Post Number: 85
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't our logo have a skull/crossbones on the hat?

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 112
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our marauder definitely had an eye patch. And a hat kinda like the one Cap'n Crunch wears.

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 258
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok how about this one.

Chalu64

Post Number: 86
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't he have a knife clenched in his jaws, too?

Would that be traditional Cap'n Crunch or Berry Cap'n Crunch?
; )

Carm
Username: Carm

Post Number: 27
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was thinking that the logo was a profile of a pirate.

Chalu64

Post Number: 87
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe it's more like a pirate. My mom still has tons of the trophies and i believe the graphic is on one of them. And i'm sure Harper Sport still has the file.

Harpernottingham

Post Number: 115
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a St. Matt's T-shirt somewhere. Just searched the whole house, though, and can't find it. To the best of my recollection, the mascot does NOT have a knife in his teeth, but I might be mistaken. Nevertheless, he's one cool mascot!

Harpernottingham

Post Number: 116
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That logo is close, Tarkus. Throw a Cap'n Crunch hat on that guy, and a mustache. I think our Marauder had a sort of flowing Fu Manchu kinda mustache. Definitely some facial hair.

Imperfectly
Username: Imperfectly

Post Number: 196
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have found a photo of myself wearing one of the tshirts.
I scanned it in but I have no clue how to post it on here !!
Also I look nuts but I will sacrifice that so you all can see the logo.
There is definately a giant mustache on the face of our marauder.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1499
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Imperfectly, see this FAQ item to see how to post photos. :-)

Carm

Post Number: 29
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any more information on our beloved marauder? Imperfectly, hurry up with that picture!!

Imperfectly

Post Number: 198
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok lets see if this works...
now someone with more skills than me might be able to get the tshirt to stand out more...

yes i am holding a pile of cats so they sorta block the view and the logo is white !

Imperfectly

Post Number: 199
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh god while im at it here is another :

me and Fr. Gordon 1983 ??

Carm

Post Number: 31
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's the logo all right. If I tilt my laptop screen just right I can make out the details. Also, love the kitty kitties.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1503
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good caption for the first photo: HAPPY!

Harpernottingham

Post Number: 118
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our Father ... (Father John T. Gordon, that is).

He looks resplendent in purple, doesn't he?

That's about how he looked the day he presided over my father's funeral in 1980.

I used to bus Father Gordon's table at the Blue Pointe in the mid- to late '80s. He always had wine and whitefish. Later, I was the broiler chef and actually had to cook his whitefish. I always made sure I cooked it perfectly.

Haven't seen his face in years and years.

I miss the ol' guy ...

Imperfectly

Post Number: 200
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jimaz- who wouldnt be happy with all those cats ???

:-)

Boshna
Username: Boshna

Post Number: 158
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone else have photos of of the church? I'd especially love to see interior shots where the baldacchino and old high altar were still up. I took some pictures a few years ago of the interior, if you want to look. http://www.umich.edu/~jcbal/st matt/stmatt.htm

Carm

Post Number: 33
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only a few pictures showed up for me. I think St. Matthew is the most beautiful church. I didn't appreciate it when I was younger, but I sure do now.

Chalu64

Post Number: 89
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.teamsportswear.com/ logo/teamuniformdesigns/Pirate s

Scroll 3/4 of the way down the page....Look at the graphic above the stenciled numbered ones. I think that's our logo!

Carm

Post Number: 34
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the link posted the eye patch is on the pirates left eye. In Imperfectly's picture it looks like the patch is on the pirates right eye.

Harpernottingham

Post Number: 120
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, gang ... now we're the Cheshire Pirates!

Show that Pirate Pride.

Great photos, Boshna. Thanks for sharing. Brings back a lotta memories -- both good and bad. But it's all good.

Chalu64

Post Number: 91
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think those images can be "flopped' either way when being printed. I'm calling Harper Sport tomorrow.

Carm

Post Number: 35
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't even think about that. Duh!

Boshna
Username: Boshna

Post Number: 159
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So I am the organist at the church now. I have heard that back when Fr. Novelly came, he drove a ton of parishioners away from the church. What was this about?

I have little trouble imagining that Fr. Novelly would make decisions without regard for the people that they affect.

Drm
Username: Drm

Post Number: 1084
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm surprised to hear that the church was built in 1954. I am positive that the parish was established in 1927 - I'll never forget the "golden jubilee" in 1977. Was there a previous church building?

Chalu64

Post Number: 92
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boshna,
Many families left over some issues they were having with Fr.Novelly regarding funds. Many families who were parishioners for a long,long time.

Harpernottingham

Post Number: 121
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it's time to bring back Father Gordon!

Imperfectly

Post Number: 201
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can literally stare up at that mosaic tiles in the domed part for hours...
I know for sure at my parents we have more pics of inside the church. I will maybe search this weekend if I can.

Harpernottingham

Post Number: 266
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BUMP!

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages on the DetroitYES forums. To register click the JOIN button at the top to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: