Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Why should I stay in Detroit? Help convince why this place is so hip? « Previous Next »
Why should I stay in Detroit? - 1Long_in_the_tooth74 07-13-07  4:13 pm
Archive through June 22, 2007Margaret93 06-22-07  1:40 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitrunaway
Username: Detroitrunaway

Post Number: 38
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Margaret....I beleive you. I rented a top unit of a two family flat on Lakewood. Then I remember driving down the entire block to see where it takes me. I was surprised at the size homes in that area...similar to home in Indian Village...and at the very end was that park you mentioned. Beautiful homes near the water and looked what happend. I'm sorry to hear about your parents lost. My mom lost on her home too. She bought the house in 1977...it was still a decent neighborhood at that time.

Not sure about Uniroyal....Maybe Mackinaw can answer that for you

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3076
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Definitly out of the city. All I know is the history of their site on Jefferson...which is now the location of what will soon be a massive condo and hotel development.

I don't know if the company is still in metro Detroit.

Your post brings to light the cause for so much of our downfall. All those great jobs provided by massive companies that were available right in the city, with jobs for people of all skill levels, are basically gone. We need to convert to the service economy, or start building things that are in high demand.

Beyond the tour on this website, I suggest paging through this massive bank of Detroit photos: http://www.flickr.com/groups/c ityofdetroit

Here's a link to one of my own photos, and you can click my screen name at the top of that page to see the rest of my photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zo om.gne?id=401209938&context=se t-72157594273942314&size=l

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 353
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw: just want to say that your skills as a photographer are excellent. I clicked on your link and especially enjoyed the home and alley photos of Detroit. Do you give classes? Seriously, great job.

Detroitrunaway

Post Number: 41
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw....great photos. I really enjoyed viewing them. You really captured the beauty of the city and AA.

thanks for sharing.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3079
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow you guys are way too nice. I'm pretty amateurish compared to some others who link their photos on Detroityes threads. Thanks.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2407
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never before have I seen an alley as well-kept as in that "Detroit alley" photo. Good job. I bookmarked your album.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3080
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha, that's IV for you. My title was a tad misleading.

Thanks.

I guess I'm using positive photo portrayal as a means to persuade on this thread now.

Detroitrunaway

Post Number: 44
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess I'm using positive photo portrayal as a means to persuade on this thread now

...and you're doing a great job at it...let's just pray it works.

Margaret
Username: Margaret

Post Number: 22
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks so much, Mackinaw! your photos are wonderful, and not the least bit amateurish, I think. I too have bookmarked your album, and want to continue looking through the photos. I have always wondered how IV manages, and has managed for so long now, to maintain itself so beautifully. I think you did a great job of capturing the feeling of that graceful area. thanks again!

hey, as a quick aside: does anyone on here have memories of the summer of 1967, as I do? just curious...

and, Mackinaw, I think Detroit would better benefit from building things that are in high demand than it would from service industry. the problem with the service industry is that most of the jobs it creates are lowsy, low-paying, often just seasonal.

Margaret

Post Number: 23
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

by the way, is Jhart still on here reading this? just wondering...

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3090
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, service just stands for everything other than manufacturing, in most economists' books. So, as we spoke about early, computer/information jobs, more professional opportunities (white collar positions), and more research outfits are a must. This is the service economy, and there is plenty of money to be made in rock-solid career paths here. The key is that most jobs require college education, which means more Detroiters need to go to college, or else they will be in the lower ranks (i.e. the secretaries or custodians at a new high-tech or accounting firm). Still, there is trickle down, and plenty of benefits to be had.

We really do still have a large workforce that is cut out for manufacturing work, and a short-term solution is clearly bringing in new manufacturers to put them and their skills-sets to use. To be quite frank, as a soon-to-be economist, I think becoming a right to work state and making union membership deregulated would do the trick. Then, the auto companies that are healthy (i.e. anything Japanese) would open plants in Michigan rather than Ohio and Kentucky and Indiana. Hell, you have the Ford Wixom plant that will now close: Toyota could literally buy that, fit it to their needs, and employ many of the same people who used to work for Ford.

Glad you enjoy the photos. Hopefully I'll get some nice ones on fireworks night and next weekend to add, so check back. And page through that pool of all flickr users' Detroit photos...tons of great Detroit photos of the good and the bad in there.

Indian Village is amazing. I mentioned this elsewhere, but I think the level of investment in these homes (i.e. rehabs, new roofs, new kitchens) is higher than it has been in a long time. Things are looking great there. When you have houses that amazing, nearby schools, access to downtown, and a tight-knit community, you will have success.

Margaret

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how do they keep the crime and "thugs" out of Indian Village?

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 729
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You should stay in Detroit if.......

1. You don't mind it at all that you receive few city services based upon the taxes you pay.

2. You feel that despite the fact the City Council members are basically incompetent, many are racist, and as a group have no business being permitted to use ink, they do provide a lot of valuable comic relief.

3. You feel fearful, and faint, if you have to drive close to Livonia, and 8 Mile appears to be an insurmountable barrier.

4. It's your opinion that not all large metropolitan areas need basic public transportation services.

4. When it comes to urban transportation, you think the People Mover is a pioneering, highly successful concept, despite the fact it serves very few people (riders), goes round in a circle, and has to be subsidized by the City by upwards of $7 mil a year.

5. You think, as I do, that KK is a 100 times better mayor than Archer. (I'm glad we agree on something.)

6. In your opinion your kids really don't need a quality public school system, especially when McDonald's and all those other fast food places offer on-the-job training.

7. You think the U.S. auto industry will rise again and will start building plants in Detroit and MI before you know it.

8. You are confident that people will get tired of foreign cars pretty soon notwithstanding many are built in our southern states, where the employees are too dumb to join a union.

9. You believe that the UAW "job banks" get a bum rap.

And last but not least,

10. You think Danindc should be put in charge of MI's budget and that he should be able to veto anything he dislikes about the Legislature's solutions to our fiscal problems.

(Please, I'm very serious about this thread and my response above. Don't hurt my feeling w/ unkind comments.)

Jhartmich
Username: Jhartmich

Post Number: 60
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Margaret wrote:
"by the way, is Jhart still on here reading this? just wondering...”

I have to admit, I never thought this post would last this long. I did stop reading daily because the topic (my dilemma) has wandered a bit. I still don’t know what I’m going to do. I fluctuate daily.

I have to admit, I was once again disappointed with all the crime that happened this past weekend. I know others will say it can happen anywhere; truth is, it happened here.

People have posted great thoughts which I am considering. I do want to leave Midtown. One poster made a great point that I probably need a less transient neighborhood. With that in mind – I’ve only lived in midtown and southwest Detroit – what other neighborhoods are safe and good to live in? I know Woodbridge (blah) and Boston Edison (blah), where else should I look before I move to Royal Oak or Birmingham?

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3092
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still maintain downtown.

West Village?

A waterfront high-rise?

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 860
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jhart, if your price range includes Royal Oak or an average Birmingham home, you can afford any neighborhood in the city with perhaps the exception of the largest places in Palmer Woods and Indian Village. It seems that your dilemma arises over the fact that you desire an urban, pedestrian oriented situation which most of Detroit's better neighborhoods do not offer. The CBD and Midtown are the only Detroit neighborhoods where one's lifestyle need not be beholden to the automobile. Indeed, nothing in the entire Detroit region may offer what you desire unless you can afford the CBD areas of Royal Oak and/or Birmingham ($350 sq. ft. and up).

If you don't have to have the urban walkable experience, but you must have less transience and more community (and, of course, safety), I think that N. Rosedale, Green Acres and EEV are your best bets. If you also want the BIG house, go for Sherwood Forest or IV. These neighborhoods offer their residents a very fulfilling lifestyle. They may not offer the urban cache', but they can be very satisfying places to live nonetheless.

Jhartmich

Post Number: 65
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 7:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very helpful Swingline, thanks!

Where is Green Acres and what is EEV?

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 99
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love what Detroit was....not what it is today.

Today, women, children, unborn babies, are being randomly shot and killed. Beating a 91 year old WW2 veteran who fought for our country half to death for his car. Drugs, gangs, violence, turf wars, fire houses with equipment that is outdated or not working at all to protect the citizens, understaffed police department with crooks throughout the administration, criminals in City Hall...there is no hope for Detroit at all.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3108
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You could dwell on the negatives on just about any place.

You can't just look at generalized stats as a whole for Detroit, you need to look neighborhood by neighborhood, as if each is a different city with different levels of crime. Jhart is looking at various central neighborhoods and a host of other great ones, so tossing out these comments about how some neighborhoods have drugs and gangs and some gruesome crimes happen now and then (just like they do in other places like, say, Grosse Pointe), does not mean that a certain fantastic neighborhood that is safe should be off-limits.

Jhart, EEV is East English Village, north of Mack and Grosse Pointe Park, west of Cadieux. Streets like Kensington, Yorkshire, Outer Drive, Audobon, and Three Mile. There are some great houses with mostly 1920s architecture, backyards and garages, little to no blight, and enough safety such that people are just about always outside in their front yards or on the sidewalks during nice days. The same can be said for the neighborhoods north of Warren toward 94 and west of EEV in "Morningside," although there's just a bit more blight in these areas.

I recommend EEV for someone with a family who wants to stay in the city, but it may be a bit too suburban and too far from the downtown (15 minutes tops) for you. You do have perfect access to a nice array of retail and services along Mack and Warren, though.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 861
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jhart, Green Acres is immediately north of Palmer Woods and Sherwood Forest. S. of Eight Mile, E of Livernois.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 686
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Green Acres is the place to be!

acres

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 100
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You must be dreaming. There are no "safe havens" in Detroit any longer.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3112
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there a true "safe haven" anywhere in America, though?

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 202
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just be careful not to get trampled by everyone else still left that are leaving the neighborhoods.

Jhartmich

Post Number: 67
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looking at a map, is Green Acres 8 mile to the north 7 mile to the south, Woodward to the east and Livernois to the west? Just wondering, never heard of it. That's damn near Oakland County???? You're in Detroit - JUST BARELY. No?

Detroitrunaway

Post Number: 45
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Jhartmich....Have you considered East English Village? You have immediate access to I-94 and you border The Points. Great community...

P.S. I've missed you all...its been awhile.

Christos
Username: Christos

Post Number: 92
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dude, if you have to ask, then you just dont get it.

Downtown_remix
Username: Downtown_remix

Post Number: 423
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MOVE ANYWHERE DOWNTOWN, THE GREAT TAKEOVER IS UNDERWAY!!!!!

Detroitrunaway

Post Number: 46
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MOVE ANYWHERE DOWNTOWN......

That's no-brainer...when in doubt...move downtown. I loved living at the Millendar Center. Perfect location to everything. I rented...back then (1997-98) paid $815 for a one bedroom. Everyone thought I was insane. But I made up the difference because I sold my car...cuz I worked for the Metrotimes (five minute walk) No gas, car note or insurance made up the difference. As for grocery shopping...that's when I spend quality time with my mom. I mean...how cool is it to look out your window and see the fireworks, the implosion of the Hudson bldg, Saint Andrews, Sweet Water Tavern (great wing-dings), GM center, well...you get the picture.

Damn I miss that place.

Oldoak
Username: Oldoak

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitrunaway – I would favor Downtown Detroit as a convention site but to give your VP a really clear picture, please see the website for a brand new conference facility in Novi:

http://www.rockfinancialshowpl ace.com/index.php

Even regional conferences help the whole area.

Oakmangirl
Username: Oakmangirl

Post Number: 430
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I mean...how cool is it to look out your window and see the fireworks, the implosion of the Hudson bldg, Saint Andrews, Sweet Water Tavern (great wing-dings), GM center, well...you get the picture."

Which one of those *cool* things does not fit in the above? Hint: A city that routinely demolishes historic landmarks is neither cool or hip.

Monahan568
Username: Monahan568

Post Number: 233
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

please stay in detroit the schools are great, the shopping is first class, the crime is low, the people are friendly, the police are will come and every time you call them.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 49
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"please stay in detroit the schools are great, the shopping is first class, the crime is low, the people are friendly, the police are will come and every time you call them."

And the Exaggeration award goes to Monahan! Congrats!

Stay in Detroit if you want. I would hate for you to leave. The city itself can't afford to lose anymore people in my opinion. Just keep your valuable possessions hidden from the eyesight of others (criminals, stangers, weirdos) and mind your business when out in public. Send your children to a school likie St. Bartholomeu or one of the Top Public Schools in the city. Stick whatever you can for bulk day in the big black trash bin if you're unable to keep up with the bulk regulations.

Do Those things and life will be simple in Detroit.

Monahan568
Username: Monahan568

Post Number: 235
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

also living in fear will cause you to become constipated so get some exlax and have a nice day in the D