Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detnews: Det close to snagging Quicken » Quicken Consolidated Archive » Detnews: Det close to snagging Quicken - 2 « Previous Next »
Archive through July 07, 2007Gistok86 07-07-07  1:56 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Wordonthestreet
Username: Wordonthestreet

Post Number: 148
Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livonia mayor: Detroit to get Quicken

Livonia Mayor Jack Engebretson said Friday it is likely that Quicken Loans, one of the city's flagship employers, will move its headquarters to downtown Detroit.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070707/BUS INESS06/707070356/1002

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3189
Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another convincing sign. Great!

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1584
Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sweet! I wouldn't call that a sign...I'd call it a done deal

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 919
Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Statler.

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 227
Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see this as bittersweet. It's potentially a real loss for Livonia, both in tax revenue and in entertainment spending. A big boost for Detroit, but just barely above null for the region as a whole.

There is a lot of disposable income spent at the nearby mall, bars and restaurants. They will suffer when 2,000 young people with a lot of money to blow are relocated.

Less revenue to the businesses, more vacant office space, and less income for a city already on a tight budget.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1544
Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(Most Likely Sites)
41 Statler
4 Hudson
(other)
1 Monroe Block
1 United Artist
1 Fisher Building

(Message edited by Urbanize on July 08, 2007)

Urbanize

Post Number: 1545
Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well we've gotten Livonia to act like they want a real Regional Cooperation. 1 down, 50 more to go. Did the Mayor of Troy ever give us any congratulatory comments after Compuware left from there to Downtown? One way this region cold come together is by one city supporting the another like Livonia is doing to Detrot.

(Message edited by Urbanize on July 07, 2007)

(Message edited by Urbanize on July 07, 2007)

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1272
Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wazootyman, that is why I was disappointed with the other thread about relocating company HQ's to downtown Detroit. If you moved Dow Chemical to downtown Detroit for example, sure it would be nice for Detroit, but it would prob. hurt the people in Midland, MI more. So it would be little good news.

On the other hand:
"Engebretson said Livonia has done all it could to convince Quicken to stay, but cannot compete with the star power Detroit has brought to bear with businessmen Mike Ilitch and Peter Karmanos -- who also own major professional sports teams -- recruiting Gilbert."

Who ever thought that Detroit would be seen as having "star power" over the suburbs. Good news!

Urbanize

Post Number: 1546
Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Wazootyman, that is why I was disappointed with the other thread about relocating company HQ's to downtown Detroit. If you moved Dow Chemical to downtown Detroit for example, sure it would be nice for Detroit, but it would prob. hurt the people in Midland, MI more. So it would be little good news."

It just goes to show you the type of region we have.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 886
Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the short term it's a loss for Livonia, but long term you'll it see it as a gain. The boost that it'll give Detroit will ultimately make it more desireable also making Livonia and the entire region more desireable.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3191
Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exactly, Eric. A dynamic center city makes all parts of the metro better off. An HQ in Livonia helps Livonia a lot, but doesn't make the region as a whole stand out compared to other metro areas.

Thejesus

Post Number: 1585
Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I concur. Quicken in Detroit is far more beneficial to the region.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4757
Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanize... the mayor of Troy didn't care if Compuware moved downtown... but the mayor of Farmington Hills did... :-)

Their HQ used to be on Northwestern Hwy., just west of Middlebelt Rd.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1559
Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, this is just a out of the blue random question:

How would you all feel about a Glass Tower for Quicken? I mean, it's the 21st century. Glass SkyScrapers are all the rage in the Corporate world right now. Or, would you prefer to stick with a Art Deco style Tower for Quicken, seeing it may benefit us (Metro Detroit) in decades to come?

*Please don't question my question, I just want a choice and why you picked it. Again, it's a question out of the blue, nothing associated with their blueprint*

Urbanize

Post Number: 1560
Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, someone told me they used to be headquartered in Troy. Thanks for correcting me Gistok.

Thejesus

Post Number: 1586
Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a modern-looking glass tower is a no brainer...people need to see it and know instantly that a big company recently invested big in the city...

While I enjoy the style of Comerica tower, people see it and think it was was built in the 1920s and assume that no significant investment has occurred in the city north of Jefferson since the early 20th century...

Gistok

Post Number: 4758
Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No problem. Compuware offered computer classes at their old Farmington Hills HQ, and my company sent me there for several of them. I had always thought that it would be a nice company to work for, since that complex had many nice amenities.

Gistok

Post Number: 4759
Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would prefer something made of stone that matches the neighborhood's historic look. And if the United Artists Building gets restored as part of a bigger project, it would be nice for a complex that complements it, rather than be a complete contradiction in style.

I would like to see something Post Modern.

Most large American cities contain huge amounts of modern glass towers. It would be nice to not be just like any other American city.

And we do have a decent quantity of modern towers... RenCen, One Woodward Ave., 150 W. Jefferson, Hotel Ponchartrain, 211 W. Fort, Chase Tower, 1001 Woodward Ave., Compuware HQ, etc.

With the historic Statler and Tuller hotels gone, it would be nice to infill with something that complements the historic nature of Grand Central Park, rather than merely reflect (via glass) its' surroundings.

And glass is NOT the rage right now... looking at the the pics of the 100 tallest buildings in the world (can't remember the website), many future planned skyscrapers are made of natural materials such as stone, etc.

(Message edited by Gistok on July 07, 2007)

Eric

Post Number: 887
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you think when any of the great buildings of this city were being built they gave any consideration to matching neighborhoods historic look? No, the architects that we so admire wanted to be innovative and modern. Yet, you're advocating for a play-it-safe, blend in building. Nothing, built in that manner will ever make statement, it'll seem like a cheap knock off in comparison. We should absolutely strive for something that is modern and looks was built in the 21st century

(Message edited by eric on July 08, 2007)

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5766
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit's played "blend in with your surroundings" enough in its downtown. It's more than the time for something ultra-modern and bold.

Gistok

Post Number: 4761
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just want something that is attractive on that site. As long as it is something that people will enjoy to look at from the 19th century park that abuts the 2 blocks facing West Grand Circus Park... and not something that people hate but make architects orgasmic...

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 172
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 1:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think what a lot of you don't realize is that Detroit's eclectic mix of architecture makes it stand out in the architectural world. Much of Detroit's modernist architecture (think Yamasaki and Van der Rohe) complements the great art deco and classical architecture surrounding it. This is a city in constant flux, constant change, and our architecture shows that. If everything was the same, we'd look like San Francisco or Phoenix. But we're DETROIT... a city always looking foward with hope and back with pride (and a bit of sadness).

I welcome whatever approach the architects take -- radical, modernist, art deco, post modern, or classical. But I will not demand that the architecture must 'match the surrounding neighborhood'. Lets save that kind of talk for Ann Arbor and San Francisco. Quicken is new, it is big, and it is hoping to make an impression in Detroit. The building should reflect that.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5767
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 1:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok,

That's exactly what I don't want. Detroit has more than enough architecture that can make people feel good and comfortable. I want something attractive, but provocative, as well. While I don't want to see something that looks like an architect designed it on an acid trip, I also don't want to see any safe designs like One Detroit Center. If it's to be built on GCP, I want it to healthfully contrast with the historic architecture, something that draws your eyes too it, but without being too offensive.

Now, if they go to the Hudson's Block, I want to see something that looks like spaceship landed at the site, that's how wacky I want it to look. lol That is a very "look at me" kind of site.

It's time Detroit got another architectural landmark, not some inconspicuous corporate headquarters.

Man, I love that we're even discussing this instead of if another company was moving downtown. Oh, how great it is to have these type of 'problems'. :-)

(Message edited by lmichigan on July 08, 2007)

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1173
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 3:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanize, once again, give me a .5 vote in two categories.

1. Hudson's Site should be Art Deco
2. Statler Site should be a Glass Tower

Don't forget a new "Arts and Craft" People Mover station to replace the current GCP stop.

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 391
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 7:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"Man, I love that we're even discussing this instead of if another company was moving downtown. Oh, how great it is to have these type of 'problems'.

Interesting that for the most part we've only identified two big sites for a company the size of Quicken.

Therefore, once Quicken eats up one of the two, if there is any other company looking, better move.

Kind of like two houses for the sale in the neighborhood and one has a contract on it.

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 328
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 7:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If we are voting for what the building should look like, I vote an updated version of the Hudson’s building on the Hudson’s site and an Art Deco building on Statler. Leave the "glass towers" for plots of land that are not facing a 200-year-old park with beautiful turn of the century buildings. God knows if they build something "modern" or "unique" we will regret it in 20 years when the fashions change. They need to build something classy...not another Ford Auditorium that people will scoff at in the future as not belonging or worth saving.

Southen
Username: Southen

Post Number: 232
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 8:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know they are building contemporary "glass" towers that look great these days right? What has made Detroit great over the years is the architectural diversity that we have. Post-modern can be very nice, but its replicating the past and something weve already done. It always fascinates me that year after year we celebrate the newest and latest car designs but in terms of our built environment we always want the same thing. In my eyes what makes out collection of older buildings stand out and more prominent is the addition of other styles that clash with it. Grand Circus Park would benefit greatly from a little architectural diversity and the addition of a modern tower there would make people appreciate the great pre-depression buildings that are already around the park.

Eric

Post Number: 889
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, 200 years old parks and beautiful turn of century buildings can't possibly mix with modern buildings

The horror that is Bryant Park in NYC

http://www.dustandrust.com/ima ges/bryant_park1.jpg

http://flickr.com/photo_zoom.g ne?id=189584961&size=o

Or Philly's Rittenhouse Sq.

http://flickr.com/photos/vinni e-g/135347974/

http://flickr.com/photos/camer agirl/452825027/

Urbanize

Post Number: 1573
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Urbanize, once again, give me a .5 vote in two categories."

MY MORONIC ASS SAYS YOU CAN KEEP YOUR VACOUS SPLIT VOTE! One full vote per person or no vote! You don't have justified reason why I should give it to you, and there will be NO SPLIT VOTES when Gilbert makes the decision of One site of the other! Don't move up here where I'm at. I'd rather watch The Weather Channel all day instead of seeing your old dramatic self. And I Despise The Weather Channel More than I despise the Devil and I hate the devil with my heart and soul.

(Message edited by Urbanize on July 08, 2007)

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 963
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a friend who is an executive at Quicken. I saw him the other day and told him how excited I was about the move downtown. And he said, essentially, it's not happening due to logistical concerns and a lack of transit, but that there would be a move of some assets downtown as a sop to the city.

I hope he's wrong.