Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Fort Wayne » Historic Fort Wayne Coalition Workday - Sat. Aug. 18 « Previous Next »
Thanks for the help at Historic Fort Wayne Plymouthres07-26-07  10:07 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Usnsubvet77
Username: Usnsubvet77

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope no one minds if I do some plugging here.

On July 21st, the Historic Fort Wayne Coalition will be holding it's monthly workday at Historic Fort Wayne Detroit.

The primary goal of this workday is to paint the picket fencing near and around the restored Post Commandant's quarters. <Where you will also be able to see the beautifully restored front staircase completed by Detroit YES's own PLYMOUTHRES and his wife.

Also, we will be tackling a large area of overgrowth along the ramparts on the NorthEast corner of the Fort wall. The overgrowth is getting into the mortar. This wedging into the 7 foot think brick facia is causing areas to "peel" away from the rest of the wall.

There will not be a lot of structural work this workday. We are trying to keep a balance between preventative and restorative with the available manpower who shows up.

The overgrowth removal is similar to the attached photo done by reenactors during the Civil War days event on July 7-8. If you can bring pruners, loppers, hand saws or even a chainsaw, it would be of great help.

Please respond if you are interested and we cna exchange contact information at that point.

Thanks!

Historic Fort Wayne Coalition - Projects Committee

Area of overgrowth removal near interior Fort wall

Usnsubvet77

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did fail to mention that the workday is from 9am - 5pm.

If you would like to volunteer, you can come out for as many or as little time as you would like. No problems at all.

I asked for advance notice so it will help the work crew chief's plan accordingly.

Thanks again for anyone who is interested.

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 120
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Come on out and help us take back one of the most historically significant structures in the D!! We could use all the help we can get!! The more folks we get helping-out, the bigger impact we can make. Here is your chance to say that you are making a difference in your city and it's history today!!

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3992
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Usnsubvet77, please use this forum to plug Fort Wayne and its activities all you wish. Keep up the good work and thank you and Plymouthres for all the effort you and others are putting in to preserve this most valuable historical asset.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1238
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll try and get there around 2. I have to work between 10 and 1.

Zimm
Username: Zimm

Post Number: 19
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

unfortunately, I will be out of town this weekend, but I would definitely like to volunteer in the future. please post any future work days!

Usnsubvet77

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell,

Thank you very much for the opportunity to promote the Fort. It is a very special place for many of us. Speaking for the Fort Wayne Coalition, helping to bring the Fort back to its historical splendor truly is an honor.

I would also like to let folks know that tours are given for a small donation <$3> every weekend. I can only encourage everyone to bring their families and friends, especially those who were inducted or served in the military here to come and see it.

Without physical interest in the forms of visitation and tours, it becomes very difficult to validate the need to retain the fort to the City of Detroit. The tours are very professional and offer a unique perspective to the history of the fort from the 1840's through the 1970's. Very enjoyable.

Thanks again and I hope to see some of the folk out on Saturday!

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keep those posts about Fort Wayne coming! Our family would be helping at the work day this Saturday, if we weren't already planning to ride with Detroit Synergy on the same day.

Mikie
Username: Mikie

Post Number: 55
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can stop by Saturday afternoon for a couple of hours before I head off to the 4th Street Fair. Do we need to bring our own paint brush?

Usnsubvet77

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Future Historic Fort Wayne Coalition Workdays

July 21st
August 18
September 15
October 13
November 10
December - none due to holiday season

Anyone coming out you need to sign in at the security gate and meet at Building 112. Bdlg 112 is straight through the gate and on your right hand side 3rd street up <where everyone else will be parked>

Ask for Bob or Tom and we'll get you settled in to meet everyone and get you with a work party.

Thanks Zimm and Scs100, I hope that you can make it out. It would be great to meet some new faces.

(Message edited by usnsubvet77 on July 20, 2007)

Usnsubvet77

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All paint brushes/paint etc will be provided.

The only thing that we could use more of are tools such as:

hedge trimmers,
loppers <big>,
a chainsaw <another>

Work gloves are HIGHLY recommended. We may have some extra that other folks have brought, but if you have some, bring them. Also, wear clothes that you don't mind getting trashed <potentially>.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 121
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell-

Thanks as well for allowing us to use the site. It is the only way that we can be assured to get the word out to all and we are very grateful for your permission! Please feel free to come out anytime you wish and we will hook you up with a very special tour of what we are doing and access to areas that others have not been in in quite a while.

To all of the others who have or will reply-

Thanks so much for offering to come out and yes, we can use anyone who can get out there anytime tomorrow-even an hour is a lot to us! I, too, would like to meet some new faces and welcome you out to the Fort!!!

PlymouthRes

Plymouthres

Post Number: 122
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just had to write in to update this thread in regard to the Fort.

The Historic Fort Wayne Coalition hosted it's monthly workday today and we achieved total success in regard to taking back two of the outside walls and the entire Northeast corner of the Star Fort from the vegetation that threatened to collapse the wall further!!

We were able to pull this off with the dedicated effort of 22 people, but what I was most impressed with was the fact that one quarter (approx.)of the participants were members of this forum and website!! What a great thing to be able to say about this place and it's inhabitants!!

Thanks so much to Mikem, Mikie, and SCS100 (and dad!!) We could not have even come close to what we got done today and you are definitely THE reason we were able to accomplish so much! At one point there was myself, Mikie, SCS100, SCS100's dad, Mikem,and Subvet in a line and we managed to clear what I would estimate to be about 50 or 60 running feet of berm! You could say that the DetroitYes members were responsible for the most extreme Northeast wall of the Fort single handedly!

Most important, though, is the fact that we were able to SAVE the entire wall from future destruction by exposing the concrete cap, as we will be parging the cap with concrete now that the vegetation has been removed. This will help to shed water, which was getting behind the brick face by leaking through the cap and knocking the brick off from behind. Not any more!!! Thanks again!!!

Our next workday is August 18, 2007. As promised, if you guys send me your e-mail addresses at bcjaxson@comcast.net and I will then put you guys on the distribution list for future events!! Once again, thanks so much!!

Subvet will be posting before and after pictures on Monday for all to see the hard work that was done!

Crystal and Zimm-

It would be nice to see you two out at the next workday! Please try to make it or send me an e-mail and I can add you to the distribution list, too!!!

Anyone else interested please stay tuned-we will be posting updates about activities at the Fort as they come up!!!

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1245
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plymouth

I assume you already have my email. And yes, it was a blast trying to hack away at Milkweed and god knows what else that was growing there. See ya next month.

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 16
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plymouthres, can you please add my email address crystal@kellerfarm.com to your address book? An email I sent this evening was rejected as spam. Thanks!

Jenniferl
Username: Jenniferl

Post Number: 380
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had to babysit today, but I hope I can make it next time. I'm glad to hear that so many Forumers turned out to defend the Fort!

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 731
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You guys are fabulous!

Usnsubvet77

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 7:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Echoing what PlymouthRes previously stated... I CANNOT believe how the members of this forum came through on such short notice at Fort Wayne!

I have never been so proud of so many people as I was on Saturday looking at the progress and sharing the excitement of doing something productive, measurable and effective.

DetroitYES! Forum members MikeM, Scs100 and his dad, PlymouthRes, myself and Mikie were absolutely incredible. the amount of work accomplished in a few short, but hot hours paid in dividends that cannot yet be calculated.

The removal of the growth from the mortar will not only ensure the preservation of the fort wall, but with the removal of the brush along the interior side of the wall opened up the fort to show it's grandeur.

We had approx 20 people assisting the Fort this Saturday. SIX of them were from this forum!

I cannot thank you enough for all of your dedication. The Historic Fort Wayne Coalition has well surpassed the 2200 volunteer man-hour milestone this year and it isn't even August yet!

Thanks to people like you who see something hopeful and make it reality; who see something dismal and bring in the sun; who see something that needs aid and comes to its rescue.

You are what the spirit of Detroit is made of.

Here are some pics of the Coalition workday with the DetroitYES Forum members...
East side of Fort Wayne's NE Corner

DetroitYES! members at the North side of Fort Wayne's NE Corner

DetroitYES! MikeM hacking away at the underbrush

DetroitYES! Scs100 working hard hauling brush up the rampart

DetroitYES! Mikie helping load cut brush onto some pickups outside the Fort

Deep inside the brush of the Fort wall!

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4007
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

[Applause!]

Great pics Usnsubvet77. It's a jungle out there eh?

Thanks to your efforts the old fort might survive until governmental arms and the public wake up to the need to fund its preservatgion.