Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » ::: Detroit Schools Mega Thread ::: » Who were your schools named for? « Previous Next »
Archive through September 04, 2007Ray193630 09-04-07  8:33 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 325
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, it's Thomas M. Cooley High School, too. I need to look up Cody, I went there for a semester, too.

Tammypio
Username: Tammypio

Post Number: 151
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In Hamtramck:
Started at Copernicus School.. named after Nicolaus Copernicus, Polish astronomer
then to Kosciuszko School...named after Tadeusz Kosciuszko, a Polish revolutionary war hero
then to Dickinson School... I have no idea (but would love to know...I was only there for 8 months or so when they changed Kosciuszko to a middle school when I was in 5th grade
then back to Kosciuszko Middle School (yes we all learned to spell it!)
then back to the original Copernicus building now renamed Hamtramck High School...named for the city and Jean Francois (John Francis) Hamtramck, an American Revolutionary war hero
then to Michigan State University (state named) and now I teach at Gesu Catholic (Jesus in Italian)

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 5986
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Ray1936
Another address on my block, that has a name associated with it. It's a Brownstone type of structure,

My home also like many on the street has a maid's room, and a hole in the dining room floor near the position at the head of the table that held
a foot switch to summon the maid while entertaining guests.

But not the Cooley High guy.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 326
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It seems Frank Cody was superintendent of schools and was the first president of Wayne State University in 1933. I see Ray 1936 is ahead of me, but I do have a bit more info.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 5987
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Francois (John Francis) Hamtramck, an American Revolutionary war hero

Also the Captain of the American advance party from Anthony Wayne's Army Corps, that raised the first American flag at Detroit in 1796.

Treble484
Username: Treble484

Post Number: 34
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fairlane was the name of the area in Ireland where Henry Fords ancestors came from.

Meaghansdad
Username: Meaghansdad

Post Number: 94
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damon Keith-Circuit Court Judge
Remus Robinson- ??
M.L King- Civil Rights hero and noted philanderer

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 160
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the great info.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4867
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Samuel C. Mumford first dean of students at Central High School
David McKenzie another Dean @ Central HS
Laura F. Osborn I believe she dealt with the Board of Education
John J. Pershing HS named after the army General who went after Pancho Villa
Charles E. Chadsey, Superintendent of Schools from 1912-1919
Davis Aerospace HS named after the first African American Air Force General Ossie Davis Sr.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 633
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tracey McGregor, a perfect kind of person, a good musician too...

Tracey McGregor, my grade school.

McGregor Song, circa 1982.

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4868
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 1:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

M.L King- Civil Rights hero and noted philanderer

And why was that so important?

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4869
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 2:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Louis Pastuer Elementary (my elementary school) Stoepel and Pembroke on Detroit's West Side, named after the french scientist who invented the rabies vaccine, and pastuerization...

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 636
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 2:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Burbank Middle School(formaly Burbank elementary), how many who atteneded it know for whom its named after?

<detroitej72>

Gary
Username: Gary

Post Number: 249
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 5:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Davis Aerospace HS is named after Gen. Benjamin O. Davis Jr., the second African American to reach the rank of general in the US armed forces (his father was the first). Ossie Davis was an actor.

Dr. Remus Robinson was a member of the Detroit school board among other things.

Dr. Charles Wright, a Detroit physician and civil rights leader. Founder of the museum that bears his name.

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4870
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 6:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good catch Gary I knew it was getting it mixed up...

Gary
Username: Gary

Post Number: 250
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 6:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No prob, Dstylin...I knew who you meant.

Hally is named after Patrick Joseph Hally, corporation counsel under Mayor John C. Lodge and one of the organizers of the U of D McNichols campus.

Still don't know who Loren Post was.

Meaghansdad
Username: Meaghansdad

Post Number: 95
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 7:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not really of any import, just adding some brevity to the post. Easssyyyy!

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 1901
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 8:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to Groves in B'ham. Even when I was there, I had no idea who Wylie E. Groves was

Dannaroo
Username: Dannaroo

Post Number: 149
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 8:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to Anchor Bay Elementary, Anchor Bay Upper Elementary,, Anchor Bay Junior High School, and Anchor Bay High School... not much creativity in those names but I think the elementary schools may have changed their names by now.

My schools were obviously named for the Anchor Bay and we were (and still are) the "Tars" which is a nod to our nautical heritage.

Udmphikapbob
Username: Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 439
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fun topic!

Walter Flickinger Elementary (Utica) - don't know a thing about him, so I wrote to the school administration to see what they can tell me. He's buried in Utica Cemetery and lived from 1889-1968.

George Eppler Junior High (Utica) - Eppler served a few terms on the Board of Education; that's all I've got. Born 1890, died 1951 at Harper Hospital. The first school in Utica was located there in 1820, and the rock out front was from the class of 1884. The building was the original Utica High School.

Henry Ford II High School - Hank the Deuce was the son of Edsel and grandson of Henry Ford. Pres. of FMC from 1945-1960. Hired and fired Lee Iacocca.

Udmphikapbob
Username: Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 440
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Principal Steere of Flickinger sends this:

Mr. Flickinger was a Utica businessman and MSU Extension Agent, who began his career as a chicken farmer.
Walter Flickinger Elementary School has been part of the Utica Community School district since opening its doors in 1964. Flickinger Elementary is the only one of 29 UCS Elementary schools to be located in Utica, Michigan and as such, we enjoy a school-community relationship that is uncommon in larger municipalities. (I didn't realize it was the only elementary in Utica proper!)
Mr. Flickinger, a local businessman, had served on the UCS Board of Education for 21 years at the time of the building’s dedication. When he began his service on the board, the district was approximately two square miles of farm land, with two schools and a total student population of 439 students.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 331
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is from a historic look at Movies in Birmingham. starting in 1913, so we know what Wylie Groves was doing in the late teens or early twenties:

Almeron Whitehead, one of the founders of the ECCENTRIC as well as the EXCHANGE BANK had suffered a stroke and was confined to a wheel chair. Earl Randall, Wylie Groves and Percy Burnett were some of the young men who wheeled Mr. Whitehead up Woodward to the theater, each evening, from his residence on the site of the present BIRMINGHAM THEATER.

http://www.geocities.com/Heart land/Hills/5144/movies.htm

Wylie Groves was treasurer of Birmingham High (Seaholm) when it opened in 1951. Ernest Seaholm was the principal. From wikipedia on Seaholm High School.

Arc312
Username: Arc312

Post Number: 45
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In Livonia (a community that isn't popular on here) the elementary schools were named after Presidents (for the most part), the junior highs were named after American Writers/Poets (Riley/Emerson), and the High Schools were named after Statesmen (Adlai Stevenson/Churchill/Franklin).

However after the school reorganization its not exact.

I think in our schools there might have been a display about the person whom the school was named after, but I don't ever explicitly remember learning about them.

Elsuperbob
Username: Elsuperbob

Post Number: 76
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting to see the list of familiar names and not so familiar names from around the area.

My first school was Woodworth named for Alfred Woodworth, an early Dearborn area settler and on whose land the school was built.

And then Fordson named for the then village of Fordson and the Fordson tractor company I suppose. And still the tractor is the mascot.

Yaktown, William Thorne was a state rep in the 60s and a township clerk before that.

(Message edited by elsuperbob on September 05, 2007)

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 459
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Samuel Mumford:
http://www.mumfordhsdetroitalu mni.org/history.htm

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1886
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've always had a cold feeling when some New Yorker refers to his old school as "P.S. #12". Never knew New Yorkers to be unimaginative, so wonder why they couldn't come up with some names. :-)

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 4113
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Burt Elementary - Ernie's pal & a collector of pigeons."
Thomas Burt was a farmer who donated land for the school. His farmhouse once stood at Grand River and Burt Rd. (from another Burt alum)

Gingellgirl
Username: Gingellgirl

Post Number: 42
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

McColl Elementary:
Jay Robert McColl was a prominent Detroit construction engineer. He made a great contribution to the development of the Detroit Public Schools system in the planning of many of the school buildings. Mr. McColl was also an educator. He served as Dean of the College of Engineering at the University of Detroit. McColl’s first principal, Eleanor M. Callahan spoke of Mr. McColl in tribute, saying "Mr. McColl was noted for his uprightness and integrity...it is fitting that one of our schools should bear his name".

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Post Number: 266
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 7:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zachariah Chandler Elem. School (recently closed)
I believe he was a small-town educator (I'll do research if I'm tapped for time)

Gabriel Richard MS (now elementary) I went there for 2 years and we ALL transfered to Fred Butzel MS on Van Dyke. The Richard kids @ Butzel were called 'Area E' students, come to think of it, the portion of Butzel that we attended, certain wings were called 'Area E' MS. The teachers/administrators were so anal about us going over to the other wings of the building it was sick! (2 much water under the bridge)

I know little about Fred Butzel, But Gabriel Richard was known to be a priest, what denomination I'm not sure.

Charles F. Kettering HS. Scientist and lecturer. Established AC Delco in the 1950s shortly before his death. I believe Delco stepped up GM's production back then like it's doing now (correct me if I'm wrong you older folks out there).
To this day General Motors and the Kettering family/estate maintain a very tight bond (unlike Ford and Firestone)!

Cornelius L. Golightly Vocational Technical Center
(now Career Technical Center). I didn't know until after I started working there six years after I had graduated that Dr. Golightly was the first Afro-American president of DPS.

Henry Ford (I) Community College. 'Nuff said!

(Message edited by waxx on September 09, 2007)

Gtat44
Username: Gtat44

Post Number: 156
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Burbank on Crusade and State Fair was named after Luther Burbank. I believe he had something to do with farming.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 376
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gabriel Richard was Detroit's pioneer priest. He wrote Detroit's motto in 1805 after the city was destroyed by fire, including the first school he built. He was pastor of Ste. Anne's which is still here, and Detroit's oldest church.

Oh, yes, the motto:

Speramus meliora; resurget cineribus; We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes.

He was arrested by the British in 1812, and released after Tecumseh interceded for him, withholding the Indian fighters while Father Richard was imprisoned.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 377
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More of Father Richard's achievements:

* He was considered the "second founder" of Detroit.
* He was the first priest to serve in the U.S. Congress.
* He gave Detroit its first library.
* He brought first printing press west of the Alleghenies to Detroit.
* He published Detroit's first newspaper.
* He co-founded the forerunner of the University of Michigan.
* He helped Michigan get its first good road from Detroit to Chicago.
* He co-founded the Michigan Historical Society.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 489
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackensen Elementary- Named for an educator in Bay City.

Western MS- named for its Western location in Bay County.

Western HS- named for its Western location in Bay County. (So creative I know)

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4886
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kettering HS on Vandyke in Detroit: Named after Charles F. Kettering more in the wiki article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C harles_F._Kettering

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4887
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Longfellow Middle School named after Henry Wadsworth Longfellow- author

Ronald McNair Technical Middle School Named after the African American Astronaut who was one of the seven who died in the Challenger explosion in 1986

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 150
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gazhekwe-
Thanks.
Im Seaholm Alumni and never knew who he was-Im pretty sure none of the other students did, either.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 533
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mine are all kinda easy...

waldorf 'til second grade - obvious...

then i went to homeschool 2nd grade-college - named after alfred pennyweather homeschool. he was a cool guy.

u-m - undergrad

wayne - grad

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 402
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HPgrmln (by the way, our first brand new car was a 1970 Gremlin, Big Bad Blue), I didn't know who Cody or Mackenzie were when I went there, either. I went three years to Sault High, named after, of course, the city and rapids of Sault Ste. Marie.

Kaptansolo
Username: Kaptansolo

Post Number: 260
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Information totally not having school name information.

Gaz-I attended Hubert elementary in the 1970's

Caldogven
Username: Caldogven

Post Number: 117
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about Wilbur Wright--guess who?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5295
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 1:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jared W. Finney - (My alma mater, grad 1971), US District Attorney for the Michigan Eastern District 1894-98.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5905
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 2:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gee... Henry Ford. But then the best part about it is the mascot... the Detroit Henry Ford High School Trojans (you can only imagine all of the snickering).

I always assumed it was named off of the street adjacent to the school but it could've been the other way around too.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6484
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 5:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gen. George Custer Elementary on Linwood St. was changed to Thurgood Marshall Elementary because Custer was racist.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6485
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 5:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since black folks took over Detroit after 1975. some DPS school names have been change to honor black heros in the great resurrection.

COLEMAN A. YOUNG ELEMENTARY

MALCOLM X ACADEMY

MAE C. JIMERSON ACADEMY

PHILLIP RANDOLPH VOC. TECH SCHOOL

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 409
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, Kaptansolo, did the "new" part of Hubert still have those cool round sinks with the water spraying down in the middle? I've wondered how those wore with use.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5296
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny, I always wondered since Detroit is now a majority black city... why they never got rid of the name "Lynch Road"??

I realize it's probably named after someone, but it must have a bad connotation to a lot of older African-Americans.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 81
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 5:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In 1919, David Mackenzie - then Principal of Detroit Central High School and Detroit Junior College - was officially appointed first Dean of the college that he had originated in 1917.

A native of Detroit, David Mackenzie was born on May 28, 1860; he attended Capital High School and the University of Michigan, where he graduated with a teaching certificate and Master's Degree in 1881 . Prior to accepting the position of Principal at Detroit Central High School in 1904, Mackenzie had served as Superintendent of schools in Flint and Muskegon, Michigan.

In 1913 Under Mackenzie's direction, a one-year, college-level premedical curriculum was offered at Central High School - the first junior college curriculum organized in Michigan. By 1916, the program had been extended to two-years, and in 1917 the state legislature approved Mackenzie's plans for establishing the Detroit Junior College. With Mackenzie at the helm, Detroit Junior College became the third largest institution of higher learning in Michigan.

The college was granted four-year degree status in 1923 - becoming the College of the City of Detroit; David Mackenzie continued as Dean until his death in 1926. In 1934 the College was renamed Wayne University; becoming known officially as Wayne State University in 1956.

In 1927, the Detroit Board of Education dedicated its newest high school to the memory of David Mackenzie. The three-story structure still stands on the city's west side - at 9275 Wyoming Avenue; Mackenzie High School closed its doors for the last time in June, 2007.

(Message edited by chuckjav on September 21, 2007)

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 3:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i work at 2 schools in the burbs, Taft/Galloway&Vandenberg. Taft is easy, Galloway was a principal, Vandenberg was a senator.who names them? school boards. there is a pattern. Henry Ford has a few. they run outta presidents,then come the inventors, board members, etc.detroit had at least north,south,east, &west,covered. if you went to western you were a westsider, enuff said

Historyguy
Username: Historyguy

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Loren Post Intermediate School was named after Loren M. Post, a teacher and director of health activities for Detroit Public Schools for many years.

(Message edited by Historyguy on September 27, 2007)

Historyguy

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nolan Intermediate School, which opened in 1927, was named after Benjamin Nolan, one of the city's first intermediate school principals. MacDowell Elementary, on Outer Drive, was named after composer Edward Alexander MacDowell.

Historyguy

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hutchins Intermediate School was named after Harry Burns Hutchins, president of the University of Michigan from 1909 to 1920. Nichols School, located in Indian Village, was named after John F. Nichols, principal of Cass Union School. Field School was named after Moses Field, a landowner whose farmhouse still stands on Field Street. Sherrill School was named after Dr. Edwin Sherrill, who graduated from a Detroit high school and went on to the University of Michigan and Columbia Medical School. He later served as a member of the Detroit Board of Education.

Pmatylonek
Username: Pmatylonek

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi there Tammy Piotrowski!

I'm Paul Matylonek.

How are you?

Johnamos
Username: Johnamos

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amos School at Military and Regular (razed in 1060's) was named for Ferdinand Amos. Ferdinand Amos began legislation which led to Detroit school children being provided with their books as opposed to having to buy them.

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 504
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St. Agnes on Rosa Parks Boulevard (12th Street) several blocks north of West Grand Boulevard:
6th thru 8th grade, since then had changed their name to the Martyrs of Uganda Parish.

St. Martin de Porres (9th thru 12th grade) was a Dominican friar who was beatified in 1837 by Pope Gregory XVI and canonized on May 6, 1962 by Pope John XXIII.
In iconography, Martin de Porres is often depicted as a young mulatto priest with a broom, since he considered all work to be sacred no matter how menial. It is also shown with him, the dog, the cat and the mouse, eating in peace from their dish.

Kennyd
Username: Kennyd

Post Number: 18
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joseph W. Guyton Elementary was named for the first American killed in action on German held soil in WW I. He was in a foxhole near Alsace, France and rose to give fire when he was shot by a german machine gun. He was from Evart, MI and had a wife and young daughter.
He was buried at a nearby churchyard until after the war when several thousand US soldier's remains were returned home. President Harding gave a speech with hundreds of soldier's remains at Hoboken Pier in NJ and placed a special wreath on Guyton's coffin. He was later buried in Evart.

Does anyone have first-hand knowledge of Guyton Elementary's school colors and what the mascot is?

Eastside_man
Username: Eastside_man

Post Number: 33
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how about Osborn high school.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 892
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From Wikipedia:

"Laura Freele Osborn was a noted suffragist and a campaigner for school reform and temperance. She was a member of the Detroit school board and the first woman ever to be elected to any office in Detroit".

"Some of the reforms she successfully instituted include: school lunchrooms supervised by trained dietitians, special programs for children with special talents, special instruction for handicapped children, visual education, health education, and classes in manual and domestic arts. She devised better business methods for school administrators and insisted upon fire-proof school buildings".

PS According to the official January, 1935 Mackenzie High School Graduation program; Mrs. Osborn presented diplomas to the young men and women.

BTW...the January, 1935 MHS graduation ceremony was conducted at Cooley High School.

(Message edited by chuckjav on October 01, 2008)