Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » :::Tiger Stadium: Memories, Demolition & Saving Part of It::: » Contract awarded for Tiger Stadium demolition « Previous Next »
Contract awarded for Tiger Stadium demolitionJjaba04-22-08  12:35 pm
Archive through April 23, 2008Zitro30 04-23-08  4:44 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Lo_to_d
Username: Lo_to_d

Post Number: 67
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It really doesn't seem like these people have their schittt together. They should have had the website up and running months ago. I went there trying to donate. I mean really, I bet a million people would donate $5 to save a portion of the stadium. That's 5 mil right there. I realize the logistics of upkeep and future development are more complicated than this, but come on, try to get some momentum at least.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 1132
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Yeah, but what's the rush all of a sudden? I mean Tiger Stadium has been sitting there for years, what's a few more while the Conservancy raises the money?

You'd have a point if the conservancy were a doing a better job, but they can't even seem to raise what amounts to their down payment. Letting TS sit around another decade while they try to raise money is not an acceptable option.

Baltgar
Username: Baltgar

Post Number: 113
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If Illitch loves the Tigers so much then why isn't he stepping up with the 369K or at least willing to match what they raise?
I thought the whole reason he was against the saving of TS was the threat of revenue from his team. Well, if it is only going to be a community park and museum then where is the revenue threat?

This is really frustrating.

Oh yeah, I love the quote about do you really think the city can just throw away $300K?...maybe they should ask Kwame.

(Message edited by Baltgar on April 23, 2008)

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6391
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zitro, #136, classic HOF post. jjaba LOL. Thanks, that was funny.
Skipper's rules, sad but true.

jjaba, Tigers Fan.

Nedab3
Username: Nedab3

Post Number: 107
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes,Jjaba I still exist here in Nebraska just have not logged on much since my wife died over a year ago. GO TIGERS!

Thoswolfe
Username: Thoswolfe

Post Number: 57
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nedab3- Deja vu'? Rosenblatt? Tiger Stadium? "Hey look folks, here's a blueprint for a newer and better ballpark,Let's build it and condemn the old relic"

Jb3
Username: Jb3

Post Number: 286
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BOOOOOOOOOO!
Losers!

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1193
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"If Illitch loves the Tigers so much then why isn't he stepping up with the 369K or at least willing to match what they raise?
I thought the whole reason he was against the saving of TS was the threat of revenue from his team. Well, if it is only going to be a community park and museum then where is the revenue threat? "

Ilitch can't make any money off of it, so why on earth would you think he'd help out? He's not a philanthropist, you know. Now, if they were going to put parking lots on the corner of Michigan and Trumbull, he might bite.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 419
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great overhead shot of the old ballpark at the start of last night's ESPN broadcast. The field was so green. The shot was just far enough away to not see any of the "wounds".

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2332
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sunday's NYT Sports Section (page 2)did a 3 column spread on the fate of Tiger Stadium. It did not present a very optomistic view of its future, indicating that the recent auction resulted in a loss of several of the "fixtures",coupled with the fact that the stadium was built with quality steel back then, and its worth big bucks to scrappers who might get their hands on it.

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 404
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tiger Stadium Faces Partial Demolition Amid Opposition from today's New York Times.

Zephyrmec
Username: Zephyrmec

Post Number: 55
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When they overhauled Yankee Stadium in the early 70s in order to shorten up Death Valley and add the Monument Park, a group was selling one inch squares of the turf in a little pot for $5 each, they made a killing! That could be a decent fund raiser. To top it off, it would be an opportunity for die hard fans to get enough of a start to eventually plug their lawns and have genuine TS turf at home.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1202
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Overlooked in that New York Times story is Sen. Carl Levin saying he'd try to secure federal money to help IF the Conservancy can raise the $360K. Whether he'll succeed (or if there'll be any money to dole out thanks to Bush's war in Iraq) remains to be seen.

Jmarx
Username: Jmarx

Post Number: 67
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Latest News - Contract Finalized for Demolition.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20080612/NEW S01/80612029

Very sad, but probably necessary.

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 510
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, a DEGC demo contract and ole Bobby doesn't have a piece of it?

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 930
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So what happens to the site if the money isn't raised by august 1st?

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1318
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like he wants to score points with White people...

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20080612/NEWS01/ 80612029

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 442
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like if they don't raise the money by Aug. 1 the demolition will continue on to the parts the conservancy wanted to keep. I'd love to see some progress on the demo within the next 2-3 weeks. The conservancy has had quite a bit of time and they have yet to even get a website up for donors. I'm far from holding my breath for them to come through with the funding. I disagree with the extension as well.

401don

Post Number: 545
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't secretive fundraising an oxymoron?

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 571
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 975
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anybody have a phone number or email address for the Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy?

They should make getting this website and donation link up and running ASAP if they stand any chance of getting there by Aug 1.
http://www.oldtigerstadiumcons ervancy.org/

I'm willing to chip in $20 for the cause; know quite a few others who I'm sure are willing to do the same.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 1132
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's amazing that no donations have been asked for. I'd be willing to chip in but I haven't heard a darn thing.
Ernie will have egg on his face if this doesn't get done. Did they think that some corporation would foot the bill?
Grass roots contributions from all over the country would have saved the place if they had just asked.
What the hell is going on?

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 1269
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Get in there, Paul! Get angry! Fight!

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 346
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that site seems to have been under construction since i heard about it. alot of people around the world would chip in.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1402
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I won't tell anyone about the time I skipped 9th grade school to go to the home opener. And I wont say that I stood in a church parking lot and collected 5.00 each for four cars before a man came outside and said what the hell are you doing?
I didn't know I could run so fast.
But I did get to see the home opener that fine day with my newly found entrepreneurial wealth.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1171
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All they had to do was set up outside of Comerica Park last season and this one. Figure you get $1 from 1/3 of the people that attend the games and you could have raised more than $1.5 Million.

That is one of the easiest projects in Detroit history to get support for. All they have to do is open their pockets and people in this struggling economy would literally beg them to take their money.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 1161
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're right this one project in Detroit that should have no problem finding support. It's not that hard to set up website to allow people to make a donation, I don't know why the OTSC can't do such a simple thing.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2145
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

one thought comes to mind, i'm not sure i would trust an organization that can't set up a simple donation (web)site to run and actual historic site. for all the people out there that want to save a chunk of this thing for the neighborhood and posterity, there are certainly a whole lot of people looking around at each other hoping someone else will lead the drive.

harwell's "nice old man" charm obviously isn't really translating into dollars. someone with a keen interest and the knowhow needs to take some real leadership here.

i have no personal interest in the stadium, i never saw a game there and only moved here two years prior to its closing, but i do think that the conservancy's proposal for that land would be far better for the neighborhood than another flat lot or years old rumors of possible big box retail.

(Message edited by gravitymachine on June 13, 2008)

401don

Post Number: 551
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this conservancy supposed to provide on-going funds for maintenance as well? We know what state the field will be in if the city is left with it. As much as I would love to see it happen, there appears to be no planning for revenues from amateur teams, Wayne State, etc. Why not put the Michigan Sports Hall of Fame there? Or a Detroit Tiger/Lions museum? (aside from Ernie's memorabilia) Or move the Motown Museum over there as well? They need a plan transferring existing $ to that location. You could even earmark .25 of every Tiger/Lion ticket to the maintenance. Sadly, none of the political/business leaders who could make this happen appear to be interested.

Paulmcall

Post Number: 1139
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If Roger Pensche got on the bandwagon, it would be a done deal. That guy gets things done.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 745
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 5:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you ever see the lobby of Penske's world headquarters?

NASCAR and Indy trophies galore.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 745
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 6:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always thought it would be a good idea to save the Michigan and Trumbull Entrance plaza. It could be a sort of food court. The fence could either be removed or left up to enclose a outdoor seating area.

The corner could also leave up the offices/announcer building and turn it into a year round cafe.

It all depends on what sort of shape that area is in. Maybe they could get an extension and use the space to help raise money. Not to mention that they could continue to seek out donations. Why would they not reuse that building? Why demolish it? A business may come along that needs those types of facilities.

I think this could be done for much less, no?

Paulmcall

Post Number: 1142
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really haven't seen any hot plans for the place after it's torn down. I've heard some vague strip mall ideas but that's it.

Mdoyle

Post Number: 444
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just keep the ticket box right on the corner. Put some history in the windows (on this site stood blah blah) and call it a day.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2641
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Besides keeping a good portion of the field, keeping the ticket box is the only other thing that needs to be saved for history buffs. Good call, Mdoyle.

Jb3

Post Number: 365
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought people in Detroit were supposed to be creative. Serious lack of imagination here. So long existing superstructure.

Aren't we trying to market the city as part of the creative class...i'm so confused. More like, we are the schizophrenic city. One personality can't get on the same page with tho other. Instead we end up making a mess during one episode and cleaning it up and paying for it with the other.

George Jackson's patience is wearing thin?? the DEGC has bent over backwards to keep the Stadium thus far??

We'll they better bend over forward and start taking it like the rest of us.

Jb3

Post Number: 366
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

“We also have to move quickly on this project; we don’t want to be stalled with chasing after programs that would take several years to fund while stalling development in one of the fastest-growing areas of Detroit,” Zeiler said.

Is this the mentality of the DEGC? Coming from a guy that got so fed up with lack of progress in the city that he up and left. Can't say i blame him, with backwards drivel like this i'm right behind him. How can anyone seriously think that Tiger Stadium is barring development in Corktown. that's like saying the Russel Industrial Complex is barring investment in the Russel Industrial Center. Start leasing out ground floor retail to whoever the hell wants it for dirt cheap. Change the damn zoning into a SUP and let retailers build out there own damn space. Leave the structure, leave the seats that the Conservancy wants, sell the rest of the memorabilia and let this thing take on it's own life. Get the DEGC and there cronies the hell out of the way. I wonder how much of a kickback they are getting from the demo contractor 5%, 10%? This thing stinks to high f..kin heaven.

Within a year of retailers opening up storefronts along Michigan and Trumbull, you'll start to see Condo plans for the upper levels that can build off of the existing superstructure. Those condos can take advantage of the upper level deck for their balconies, terraces, green space...etc. The field stays as the anchor to an organic community, not another destination recreational park that has to compete with ten thousand more convenient venues for youth ball games. Gimme a break.

What kind of 1950's mentality still exists in the damn town? You can't plan a dynamic city and a vibrant neighborhood, you can only lay the proper groundwork and let the chaotic market forces give it it's life. Wake up Detroit!!

Mdoyle

Post Number: 446
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JB im thinking redeveloping the existing structure to come even close to meeting code for residential use would cost more than demo. The entire super structure is built on an angle to accommodate stadium seating and would require MAJOR retooling to hold anything resembling a home. Tear it down, leave the box office. It'd be another thing if the exterior of the building had been kept up for the past several years but instead its gone to hell.

(Message edited by mdoyle on June 14, 2008)

Jb3

Post Number: 370
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not talking about retooling for a home. I'm talking about cheap community space, decks, terraces, green space..etc. The condo development would be new construction for it to be viable. New construction is new construction, no mystery there, they'll just have to accommodate the new column spacing within the existing bay sizes of the structure. Of course there will have to be selective demolition, but so what. The foundation costs will be a wash if they plan for the right amount of units and the right price point. It's really a no brainer. If they are looking for 'progress' to happen on that corner of Corktown, why would you tear down it's biggest marketing tool?

History,
Innovation,
Novelty,
Sustainable,
In the Center of it all...etc.

Serious lack of imagination here.

Just open it up to retail tenants and let it grow on it's own. I'm only offering one possible scenario here. The alternative is more of the same crap that is killing this city.

Sure we'd have the ticket office, sure we'd have a venue for a demand that doesn't even exist. But we have that now anyway. It's only the crackheads that can't seem to understand any real problems of the city that they have to fixate on only what is in front of their eyes. TEAR it DOWN! they say. We can't bear to look at it anymore. We'll i'm f..kin sorry, but i can't bear to look a the goddamn empty six acre parking lot sitting next to the icon of american culture. If you want an avenue for continued progress in Corktown, then fixate on that and let the people have the stadium back! Guess what, now it's a win win because now retail can exist profitably on all four sides and not just the Mich/Trumbull corner.

(Message edited by jb3 on June 14, 2008)

401don

Post Number: 567
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I have the answer. We put in a museum, a snack bar and a drive-in theater on the field and only show "Field of Dreams" 24/7. People will come. People will surely come from all over America. They'll come to see where Cobb and Kaline and Jason Grilli's dad once roamed. They'll just hand over their money and they won't even know why. Sort of like the casinos.

Gotdetroit
Username: Gotdetroit

Post Number: 179
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JB3: That's great and all, but the time for that was a long time ago (back when the switch over was being planned).

You can't rush into what you are suggesting. The street level spaces you refer to for "people to set up shop" are in tatters. It would cost a nice chuck of money to change those spaces to store fronts (both in terms of construction AND renovation) without EVER having a guarantee that someone would come along and say "yeah, condos. Great idea". Because, if those people don't come along, then what?

Back right where you started. Tear it down already.

Jb3

Post Number: 375
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 6:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What switchover was ever planned? The damn thing was abandoned and people started screaming to tear it down. The city agreed because they saw a grass roots movement in Corktown that has led to rebuilding the neighborhoods. They started drooling at the prospect of a major commercial corner being open for clean slate development that people could associate with through name recognition. Never mind if it would face the same problems of any corner in the city, lack of interest, lack of demand, lack of investment, lack of amenities...none of that mattered, only the fixation on a corner lot everyone knows as 'the corner' and the prospect of a one time cash out. These are the same problems that we have seen over and over in this city and we continually rush head long into our own self-fulfilling prophecy that keeps retailers away and keeps residents from seeking to move into the city. Same story, different site. Tear down the existing building so developers can all come running from all over the world to invest in Detroit? Yeah, great idea.

At this point it doesn't even matter if condos ever come. You see that as the end game, i see that as a bonus that comes around from vitality and activity generated by those that would could call the place their own. So don't hurt yourself wondering if the condos ever come, the market will take care of itself if it's given a chance. And whose money are we talking about? Not yours, so what do you care. Not the city's, retail tenants pay rent they don't get anything for free.

Just put the damn signs up. '30,000 s.f retail for lease', '50,000 s.f. retail for lease...whatever it is. Offer incentives that retailers can't find elsewhere, like dirt cheap rent, like two years tax free, make it it's own renaissance zone or enterprise zone...whatever, just get the damn signs up and get some money rolling into that place.

whatever, i know i'm just wasting my time here, this city is hell bent on cutting it's own throat. the one chance we have to create a new paradigm we would rather throw away. Tossing out the baby with the bathwater i think it's termed.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1248
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In news that's sure to bring smiles to the faces of some people on this forum, a demolition fence is currently being erected around Tiger Stadium.

Personally, I'm a stadium-hugger. I think some of these people who are cheering for its demolition are going to miss seeing it at the corner of Michigan and Trumbull once it's gone.

Gotdetroit
Username: Gotdetroit

Post Number: 184
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JB3: The "switch-over" I was referring to was the Tigers switch from Tiger Stadium to Comerica. That was known for awhile - since the day the land was purchased, or at the very least, from the day the first shovel hit the ground for Comerica.

So there was AMPLE time for SOMEONE to come with a viable plan. The interest just wasn't there, and quite obviously, still does not generate any real, overwhelming support or interest.

Also, I certainly wasn't suggesting that tearing down a structure means that people will flock to the spot to start to build. In 99% of the cases, I would wholeheartedly agree redevelopment should come first. But 99% of the time we're NOT talking about a 50,000 seat baseball stadium. We're talking, instead, about something that could be used very near the actual purpose of the original use.

A 50,000 seat baseball stadium is not the same. Unless another team is coming to town, the only viable, cost effective use of that site, is as a 50,000 seat baseball stadium.

I know you can pull an example of a large stadium being reused as condos and such, but those are not in Detroit. The market just isn't there. If it were, we wouldn't even be having this discussion now. It would have been built out by now - or, at the very least, there would be a serious plan on the table. The one redevelopment I can think of, off hand, was the old Arsenal Stadium in England.

Sure, it would be great if we could keep the old place around, for some useful reason, but it just doesn't have one - other than sentimental attachment, if we're being honest. Sure, using it as a field, with an attached museum, utilizing parts of the historic stadium, would be great. But in the end, wouldn't it be just another financial drain on the City? Just like it is now? I mean, in the end, the museum idea seems to be talking about changing over a dead-end, single use structure, into another dead-end, single use structure.

It's been almost 10 years. How long do we have to keep going back-and-forth, debating whether or not the old stadium can be reused before we just call it a day, and move on?

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1249
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bill McGraw of the Freep has the scoop on the demo fence:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20080624/NEW S01/80624059

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 954
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been involved with this issue since I was 5 years old, and 21 years later I am very saddened by this. As a Corktown resident and a true lover of Detroit history and baseball I am going to miss this beloved piece of history.

Some of my favorite memories are from the corner of michigan and trumbull. I have helped fight for the stadium because it deserves a better fate than this. Despite what many on the forum and the conservancy believe I am on there side because I want what ever can be saved to be saved.
Is anyone from the conservancy still posting? I really truly hope your efforts succeed can anyone update me on the latest? Whatever I can do to help further the efforts of the conservancy I am for. Please let me know.

I will miss the old girl tremendously
-Urban

Scooter2k7
Username: Scooter2k7

Post Number: 106
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 4:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The new Wal-mart will look great there! What a sad, sad, day when that piece of history falls to the ground.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1250
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wal-Mart isn't coming to the city of Detroit. No major retailer is. It will be an empty, vacant field littered with empty 25-cent chip bags and smashed liquor bottles. Far, far, far better for property values than a landmark, albeit, an empty one.

Funaho
Username: Funaho

Post Number: 55
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't be so pessimistic. I'm sure a nice new shady parking operation will take over the empty lot very quickly. :-)