Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Belle Isle Rises! [Pics] « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3191
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Today we stole a day from winter and played handball on Belle Isle which, on the way, led to these pleasant discoveries....

The first new picnic shelter in decades rises just past the Woodside Drive Bridge by Lake Okonoka.
ps

The completed restoration of the rest station at Woodside and Lakeshore.
rs

Construction of a paved walkway to downriver point.
ww

A perfect day on Detroit's Crown Jewel.

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 248
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

excellent news

Justbeamensch
Username: Justbeamensch

Post Number: 18
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love it, and the Conservatory opens back up this week.

Naturalsister
Username: Naturalsister

Post Number: 851
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 4:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is the best news. Give us a minute, and much of our riverfront will tie together quite nicely.

later - naturalsister

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 287
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 6:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Things are looking good. Now we have to make sure they stay looking good.

I'd like to see the picnic tables be replaced. I would guess that probably 1/2 of them are beyond repair.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2056
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And if you're replacing the picnic tables, please pour a concrete foundation/floor for them. There's nothing worse than not being able to use the picnic tables at Belle Isle for lunch because they're a mud pit or you have to get a ladder and safety net for your kids to get up to and safely use them.

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 473
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

And if you're replacing the picnic tables, please pour a concrete foundation/floor for them.

Please do not pour concrete under them. I can sit at a table on a concrete slab in my back yard.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 296
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least pour concrete footings to the tables so they are not tipped over, distorted and mutilated in a thousand ways. A few weeks ago I saw a car drag with a table tied to it down the road and slam on the brake to watch the table roll.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 220
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looking good.313

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 221
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looking good.313

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 1287
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice to see some rehab!

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 115
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Make the picnic tables out of concrete.

Jonnyinlaguna
Username: Jonnyinlaguna

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great pics Lowell! It is nice to see the city dumping a little money into BI. I remember spending many afternoons there while growing up in the D. I can’t wait for them to finish the river walk. It will be nice to be able to ride my bike there from CBD during the summer along the river. Keep the pics coming as Detroit Rises!

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 311
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bvos has a good point, why not place the same stuff that is used in Campus Martius (tiny aggregate) under the tables? That way spills will largely wash away and the area remains drainable as opposed to the non-pervious surface that you get with concrete? Heck go the extra nine yard and use the same rubber stuff you see in the play-scapes in the neighborhood parks we al see every day, well us out in the neighborhoods get to see them.

Sister
Username: Sister

Post Number: 18
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The conservatory is scheduled to reopen around November 21. The Belle Isle Women's Committee is funding extensive renovations to Sunset Point and will have the ground breaking on November 14 at 10 AM.

Quickdrawmcgraw
Username: Quickdrawmcgraw

Post Number: 72
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Think the city will hand over Belle Isle to the Friends of Belle Isle? Wish we can get our aquarium back! Is the Nature Center still open?

Bjl7997
Username: Bjl7997

Post Number: 105
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is going to happen to the abandoned restaurants in Belle Isle?

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3209
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"What is going to happen to the abandoned restaurants in Belle Isle?"

More Parking? :-)

The only restaurants I know of on BI are at the Detroit Yacht Club and a fledgling sometimes warm month place in Athletic Building. Is there something else?

Detroitstar

Post Number: 298
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone think there is a bottom line amount of money that could restore Belle Isle: Aquarium, slides, restaurants and all?

I mean there has got to be $2 million in grants and other private monies available somewhere to provide a top to bottom face lift.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If run right, Belle Isle could not only be the city's greatest jewel, but could also be a huge source of revenue. Between the Aquarium, Conservatory, golf course/range, and the possibility of the restuarants/concessions, it has the components to remain a haven for Detroiters and a money making machine for the city. If only it was properly maintained and promoted.

I know that Archer had visions of creating this on Belle Isle, along with kayak/canoe rental, horse-drawn carriage rides, etc.

What happened?

Detroitstar

Post Number: 299
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know nothing about the golf complex out there, other than driving/walking by...could it be a viable 9 hole course? Could a restaurant/clubhouse be added to make it a summer destination?

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its a par-3 course and includes the driving range, which is lighted. It is certainly in no way an amazing golf course, it is however capable of being used more than it is. Many par-3 courses are viable and include restuarant/clubhouse, and those arent on an island inbetween 2 countries....

The whole island really is underutilized. Its sad

Jonnyinlaguna
Username: Jonnyinlaguna

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I mean there has got to be $2 million in grants and other private monies available somewhere to provide a top to bottom face lift.

$2 million is not going to get you very far. It would probably take about $150 million to restore BI.

Jenay
Username: Jenay

Post Number: 163
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad to see the progress!

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10813
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Belle Isle needs a liquor store more than anything. Secondly, give me a place that serves fried chicken and ribs and I'll never leave.

ps...save the white jokes.

Dbc
Username: Dbc

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is the status of Flynn Pavillion? I haven't heard anything since maybe 2004 , when Kwame, Levin, et al. announced it was being renovated and would have skating again.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.