Discuss Detroit » Active Archive » Far Eastsiders on DetroitYes Forum » Far Eastsiders on DetroitYes Forum - 1 « Previous Next »
Archive through February 01, 2007Michmeister32 02-01-07  3:30 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1537
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba, you do your "lurking" on your own side of town. This is a Far Eastside thread which has originated , been arranged, developed, contributed to and otherwise devoted to Far Eastsiders--- far,far, and very far away from your neck of the woods.
So you just sit back, check it out occasionally, and reflect that you could have BEEN one of us if the fates had been kinder to you.
No Cass Tech roots, rather you could have been a Finney High man, even with a little conversion, an altar boy at Star of the Sea, a customer at the Mack Avenue diner. And a passenger on the Gratiot bus. The opportunities are limitless over here.

the_rock ( about as Far Eastside as you can be without getting wet)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3562
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^^ LOL at The_rock!! A true 48236er if ever there was one! :-)

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 659
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr. C's ruled at Warren/Bishop.

It disgusted me to see it turn into another neon yellow liquor sign craphole.

Why don't any of these places take pride in their store and not turn it into such a sin den o filth.

Eastside rules!
Long live Club 500!

Pinewood73
Username: Pinewood73

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok,

My mom and siblings all graduated from Finney between '69 and '72.

Gistok

Post Number: 3563
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What were their last names? Mine is Istok.

Jan
Username: Jan

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lived on Lemay in the 50s, Newport between Freud and Jefferson in the 60s, Pelkey just south of 8 Mile in the 70s and mid 80s. Then down to WSU/Cultural Center and finally Lafayette Park.

Went to Guyton Elementary, Jackson Jr. High and Cass Tech.

When we lived on Pelkey, we would get our pizza from this place called D's across from Osborn High School. As a kid, I hung out a lot at the Kresge's on Jefferson and Lakewood.

jan

Formerspringgardener
Username: Formerspringgardener

Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lived on Spring Garden (surprise) until I got married in '73.

Kindergarten - Robinson
Assumption Grotto 1-8
Nativity HS class of '70.

Hangout when we we younger was Johnson's Milk Depot on Chalmers.
Riding bikes to foot of Alter to go fishing in the river.
Bel-Air drive on 8 mile.
Window shopping at Lopo's on Chalmers and Houston-Whittier.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 481
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And then there's the house at Southampton & University (2nd house from corner) that blew up in the 1960's in a natural gas explosion... ditto for another along Cadieux between Warren & Mack in the last 10 years

______________________________ ___________________

Gistok, there was also a house on Guilford between Chester & Berden that blew up in 2000 from a gas explosion. I was washing dishes at the time on University and it shook all my windows.

Seems to be a large number of exploding homes in such a small area.

Vas, I too miss Mr. C's on E. Warren. I went into the old location on Morang yesterday,(now Mr.S's) and it looked nothing like when Tom owned it. "Dump" was the first word that came to my mind.

Gistok

Post Number: 3564
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitje72, the first house on the east side I lived in was on University. The house that Minerva dead ends into. But that was 1958. In 1960 we move to the next street (2 blocks over) onto Marseilles near Berden.

Courtney
Username: Courtney

Post Number: 112
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While I didn't grow up there, I made the 4500 block of University my home until last year. Miss it and feel like I'm a million miles away despite the fact that we're only about 4 miles from it.

The "better half" grew up in GPW and worked at Mr C's for awhile in high school.

Now I want to know more about the natural gas explosions. In the years we owned the house, the gas company was called out dozens of times because I KNEW there was a leak somewhere. I could smell it, guests could detect it, yet they always said everything was fine and dandy.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4811
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pronounce Cadieux. Somebody told me there's a "Jew" in there somewhere. What?

jjaba.

Gistok

Post Number: 3565
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba... based on your westside rationale... I suppose there's a "Jew" in there somewhere when someone sneezes! :-)

Detroitej72

Post Number: 483
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, I owned & lived at 6329 from 1995 until 2001.

Courtney, the house on Guilford exploded because the tenant moved out and left the gas on after removing the stove. There house filled up with gas and blew up several hours later.

I heard from a neighbor that the landlord and tenant had been at odds for some time, but have never sought to confirm the info.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 403
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grosse Pointe Parks are still private, and will end up being like that for a while (unless drastic changes happen). Anyways:

All GP for me:
Maire Elementary
Pierce Middle School
GPS

Courtney
Username: Courtney

Post Number: 113
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitej - well, glad to know that the latest one (at least) wasn't because of something the gas company did/didn't do.

One of the neatest things was when Finney's marching band would be practicing. Several times a year we'd get a mini parade in front of the house. They reminded me of my hs marching band - small but far better than the average hs band.

Chalu64
Username: Chalu64

Post Number: 62
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Clark School.
St. Matts.
Bishop Gallagher.
First Job: Woos Chinese
Favorite Job: Mr. Cs
Most Memorable hangouts: Alger, Sanders, Kresges, Club 500, St.Philomena Fair, East Warren Festival

Walterwaves
Username: Walterwaves

Post Number: 70
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW!!!!! the Bel-Air,,,,,,thanx for that memory. i forgot all about sneakin in while in my brothers trunk!!!! lololol

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1901
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chalu64's mention of the St. Philomena Fair brings to mind the Austin Fiesta!! That was a spring event that we looked forward to every year!! Did anyone else go to it each year?

Gistok: My only recollection of a stamp store in the neighborhood was the one at University and Mack. Yet I only remember the Lippert name, and I associate it with the Mack Ave. store, but it's been soooo many years that I'm probably not remembering right. I also, of course, purchased my stamps directly from the Mystic Stamp Co., as well as buying some at Hudson's downtown. Was the stamp department on the mezzanine? or upstairs somewhere?

I also have add to my earlier mention of Kaleidoscope at Bedford and Mack. It was a place to buy small gifts, some imported, and they wrapped gifts with the thick yarn, which they also sold by the yard. I was always buying yarn to make hair ribbons that were generally multicolored to match my outfit. Every week I picked up my Grande Ballroom psychedelic postcard promoting whatever upcoming concerts were on the schedule. (Sure wish I still had that collection!!) Down on the next block was Ole, a little store that sold Mexican imported gift items.

Cosine
Username: Cosine

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Born on Cadillac, lived on Bewick, Hurlbut and Cadillac 'til 1952; moved to Grosse Pointe and been there ever since.
Howe Elementary (Det)
Kerby Elementary (GP)
Brownell Middle
GP South

Hangouts: Dunkinburgers Drive in on Vernier
Toddle House on Mack
Lemon-Cherry pool hall on Jefferson
and St. Jean
Burkemo's on 9 Mile and Jeff
Woods Theater
Alger Theater
Esquire Theater
Memorable
Moment: Crash of the British jet on Ashland

Chalu64

Post Number: 66
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathleen,
I remember going into the Kaleidoscope with my mom. Is it where that antique shop is now?

Kathleen

Post Number: 1902
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chalu64,
I know that there are a couple of antique stores on both blocks at Three Mile and Mack, if they are still both in business these days. But I can't picture what is currently at Bedford and Mack; Kaleidoscope was on the northwest corner.

Chalu64

Post Number: 69
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I need to take a detour this weekend. I'm still in the area.
I remember that store being very interestingl. Very "hippy" if I recall correctly.
There was also a toy store down there maybe a block south? Do you remember the name?

Mcwalbucksnfitch
Username: Mcwalbucksnfitch

Post Number: 42
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't really say anything about myself because I was born and raised in the burbs, but my mom grew up at the SE corner of Lakeview & Canfield and went to St John Birchman K-8 and Servite HS 9-12...class of '72. My grandparents moved from that home to Warren in '78. At the time, my grandfather had a store on the NE the corner of Lakeview and Canfield...directly across the street. My grandmother worked at Hudson's downtown during the Christmas seasons wrapping gifts, but was otherwise a stay-at-home mother. My mom tells me that one of her most memorable moments is when the riots started, and my grandfather came to the corner and yelled her and her siblings' names..and they had to stay inside for a few days. She also talks about Twin Pines milk, and the Good Humor/Mr Softie Ice cream men.

Gistok

Post Number: 3566
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of "hippie"... anyone remember "The Groove Shop" on Mack (it's still there)... for that special gift... :-)

Also wasn't there an "Irv Steiner Promotions" shop across from the Alger? I remember seeing that place many years ago.

Good old Erv... he lived in that huge Mansion in Grosse Pointe Farms... on that curving street which used to be a race track in the Farms many years ago. And wasn't his daughter Susie Quattro, the rock musician?

Goose
Username: Goose

Post Number: 28
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

born (1968) and raised on the 3900 block of chatsworth
clark elementary and then st. clare to 3rd grade until we "moved on up" to the GP's in 1976

not 100% sure but i think the catholic school choice was made due to bussing, was gonna be shipped halfway across detroit for some reason for public school.....

i think clark pricipal was parlato, he rode a snowmobile up chatsworth to work when it snowed....

sr. sylvia was my third grade teacher.....

dont remember too much about hangouts, i was young, but do remember once or twice a summer a gravel hauler like truck would park at the end of the street and it would be filled with water and turned into a makeshift pool

also remember swimming at heilman pool and sledding at balduck

the dairyqueen on warren was a frequent stop

Boshna
Username: Boshna

Post Number: 153
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2002-present: Organist at St. Matthew
2007-present: House on Harvard at Linville

Restaurants: Louie's Ham Shop on Harper, Rabaut's Cafe on Warren, The BluePointe, Geneva Hamburgers, Dish.

Shops: 884-BIKE on Warren, Mancuso's on Harper, Yorkshire Food Market on Mack.

Kathleen

Post Number: 1905
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 6:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chalu64,
Is the toy store you're thinking of the one at Devonshire and Mack, right on the corner? We used to hang out there a bit...I remember buying marbles, all kinds of marbles (cats' eyes, purees, boulders, etc.) for 10 cents and higher from them.

Gistok,
Suzi Quatro and brother Mike (along with a couple other kids) were born to Art and Helen Quatro. No relation to Erv Steiner as far as I can tell. And yes, he did have a storefront for his Promotions business across from the Alger, in the later 70s, I believe, after a couple of the storefronts were vacated, including a menswear place and the Sanders store.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 993
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 6:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Suzi Quatro and brother Mike (along with a couple other kids) were born to Art and Helen Quatro

Suzi had several sisters who also played music:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg .dll?p=amg&sql=11:kysqoayaiijx ~T1

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 1409
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 8:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bong-Man's birth home on Detroit St. is still holding it's own. A dead-end street...at the end was a wooden fence we crawled through to get to St Philomena's and Granny's house on Neff. The crazy Belgians next door raised lots of pigeons and killed a lot of rabbits. I remember the fruit truck (Ciammitaro's ?) coming down the street every day. East Warren lanes, Balduck, Cadieux Cafe. I was small..but my siblings were crushed when we moved.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1540
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cosine--you were a theatre buff. But what about the Punch and Judy? You paid a buck more to sit in the balcony. Been there and done that?
I remember the Toddle House on 6 and Woodward, but the one on Mack escapes me. Senior moment ( again). Where was it?
I guess I was more tuned in to Howard Johnsons on Mack up near the current Farmer Jack. It was owned by the Shermans who also had a summer cottage (in the same colors )on Mackinac Island on the West Bluff.

Crash_nyc
Username: Crash_nyc

Post Number: 757
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok:
"anyone remember "The Groove Shop" on Mack..."

As an avid tobacco connoisseur, as well as having a side-gig as a whipped-cream whipper, I frequented 'The Groove Shop' at least twice a month for many years.
Always needed to stock-up on my 'tobacco water pipes' and 'creamer-chargers'.

Formerspringgardener

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was that the place by Moross?

That was THE place to go in the late sixties and early seventies to get any sort of paraphernalia
you required. I remember they even opened some stores in the basement where they sold all kinds of crafts popular at the time.

Has any one mentioned the EastTown theatre when it was converted to a concert hall? Everyone raves about the Grande but us EastSiders had our share of bands make it to that venue. Joe Cocker, Alice Cooper and many others that the fog of memory has forgotten...

Pinewood73
Username: Pinewood73

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok,

Their last name was Cipriano.

Conman
Username: Conman

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Raised at 1131 Ashland(now a vacant lot)between Jefferson and Kercheval. Funny how no one knew of Ashland until I mentioned "The Ashland Bump".
I can recall an archway of elm trees lining the street, ice skating down Fox creek and walking to Kresge at Jeff and Chalmers . I delivered the Detroit News for 4 years and had a blast, good money for a teenager, even went on a few trips with the paper. Anyone recall Pebbles Restaurant at Mack and Somerset? How about White Castle at Jeff and Maryland? Fond memories of growing-up on the eastside.
Attended St.Ambrose from 1969 to 1977
Bishop Gallagher from 1978 to 1981

Audioswhite
Username: Audioswhite

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grew up and lived on lower east side, Marlborough btwn Essex and Freud.
Guyton, Guardian Angels, St Ambrose, De La Salle
Driver's Ed in Demby Parking lot.
Worked for Erv Stiener at the Civic Theatre

Built Picture frames in an empty store front on E Warren next to Wimpy's in the late 80s

Ate at Pebbles after church (ST. Martins) at least twice a month. There is a restaurant in that location still (name escapes me), stopped by there last time was in town. Still have killer strawberry pancakes.

Weekly swims at Heilman's (sp?) pool.

Conman, we were at St Ambrose at the same time. (76-79 for me)

(Message edited by audioswhite on February 02, 2007)

Dday
Username: Dday

Post Number: 873
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grew up and lived on the Northeast side. Pinewood and Pelkey (7-Schoenherr)...19500 block

Schools: Pulaski Elementary, Richard Middle, and Lutheran East for HS ('83). Then left for the Army.

Hung out at the Electric Palace Arcade when it first opened by Ward's, Sander's and the shopping district at 7-Gratiot (now, for the most part gone). The Electric Palace was Stereo City before the arcade. Was a paperboy for two routes. Freep - Pelkey-Hickory between 7-Manning, News - Manning between Gratiot and Schoenherr. Played Wish-Egan Heilmann Little League and went to the James and Lynelle Holden Boy's Club on Schoenherr and Bringard. Had a ton of friends growing up. Most of them went to St. Raymond's (now closed, I think). Mom shopped at Farmer Jack's on 8 - Schoenherr and sometimes at Great Scott at 7-Hoyt. went to movies at Cinema City and when I was real young, the Ramona theater, but that was torn down around 79.

Great place to grow up.

(Message edited by D-Day on February 02, 2007)

(Message edited by D-Day on February 02, 2007)

14509glenfield
Username: 14509glenfield

Post Number: 310
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok...Chatams
Hayes & Mayfield...prior Big Bear
7 & Gratiot ... Bi-Lo?/ Great Scott
Morang & Kelly ... Kroger?
For a while Chatam I believe?.. was on Kelly a block of the split of Hayes...but not 2 stores Mayfield at the same time!

(Message edited by 14509glenfield on February 02, 2007)

Gistok

Post Number: 3572
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Huh? I'm not sure what you're saying?

There WERE 3 Chathams along that stretch... Hayes/Kelley area (#2), Morang & Kelley (#8, I worked there for 5 years 1969-74), and east of Moross (#1).

I don't remember the exact location of the Hayes/Kelley store, except that it was near where Kelley split from Hayes.

And there was one at EIGHT Mile and Gratiot (#7).

14509glenfield
Username: 14509glenfield

Post Number: 311
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Formerspringgardener: Add Ritters and Kirchners and "bike shop" and "florist" in the near/across the street proximity. Mad Dogs & Englishmen Recorded Live at the Eastown. Many memories, POP, substance abuse at that venue. How many hooks and sinkers did you lose at the foot of Alter?

Formerspringgardener

Post Number: 24
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

14509glenfield - A lot!
It wasn't a big deal for the sinkers cause we used to make our own from the lead they used to use for balancing wheels.
The pizza place on Chalmers between Alma and H-W.

Conman - The Ashland bump... I had my license all of a week, grandfather's car full of teenagers.
I go over it a tad fast, bottom out and the car stalls out!!!
Lucky for me I got started but I was scared shitless!!
Thanks for bringing back that memory.

Cosine
Username: Cosine

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The_Rock--
Ah, yes...the Punch & Judy. We could smoke in the balcony. The Toddle House I'm thinking of was out around Mack and Oxford, open all night, as I recall. As far as Ho-Jo's, I can recall a bowling alley the pre-dated it (or was next door) and then a seafood place that was there for a couple of years....name escapes me for now.

Harsensis
Username: Harsensis

Post Number: 155
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spent some time on Collingham south of 8 mile by Eastland,
Half of Kindergarten at McGregor
The whole 1070's bussing thing
Moved to Grosse Pointe Farms
Kerby Elementary
Brownell Middle School
Grosse Pointe South 1988
Memorable Moment, one is the gas tanker crashing and burning under the 8 mile bridge at I-94, we could see the black smoke in the Farms over a mile away!
Trying to climb that hippo at Eastland and finally being big enough to do it!

Chalu64

Post Number: 72
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Conman,
Does your first name start with a "D"? And do you have a nephew whose name starts with a 'N'?
(cryptic, aren't I?)

Detroitej72

Post Number: 488
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As far as Ho-Jo's, I can recall a bowling alley the pre-dated it (or was next door) and then a seafood place that was there for a couple of years....name escapes me for now.
------------------------------ -------------------

Hojo became Bonanza Steak House, Seafood place was Red Lobster. Now a CVS and Farmer Jack.

Anyone remember the old East Warren Businessman's parade they used to have in the late 70's/ early 80's? My Cub Scout troop used to march in it and we thoght it was sooo long a route! I also had a parade every opening day while playing little league for Wish-Egan Heilmann. That route was St. Fair from Schoonerr to Brock.

My first year, Ronald McDonald was riding on a fire truck and was supposed to sign autographs afterward at Heilmann's. Mid-way through the parade the fire truck was called away for a fire, dumping Ronald so he had to walk the last half. At the end, instead of happily signing, he was bitching about how his feet hurt from the big clown shoes he was wearing! As pre-teens, we thought it was pretty funny, but many parents were outraged at the treatment he showed the smaller children

Conman
Username: Conman

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chalu64
Yes it does and yes I do.

Paczki
Username: Paczki

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived on Kirby and Moran. Went to St Hyacinth Grade School and St. Lad's High School. Spent a lot of time at the Butzel Branch Library on the Boulevard, a place on McDougall called the Stone Shop. Rode the Chene bus to school or downtown to go shopping at Hudson's.

In high school we hung out on Belle Isle after basketball games and dances. The party was at the "docks" or casino. We would drive down Tanglewood Lane, turn off the lights, park and wait for the "white lady" (urban legend).

Attended Wayne State. Hung out at a greek place with good pizza on Warren and Cass. Went dancing at Club Polske on Conant, Swinging City in Hamtramck and White Star. Played softball at Softball City and Jayne Field, dated guys that played in the Lutomski softball league.

Got married and moved to Kelly and Morang. Went to Kavan's for dinner, Mr C's for beer, Chathams for groceries and Sam's (cant remember the name) dry cleaners.

Imperfectly
Username: Imperfectly

Post Number: 193
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I took swim at Heilman, totally forgot about it.
Does anyone remember jasons bakery on whittier ?
I can still smell the donuts right now !

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3958
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to Cross of Glory Lutheran Church on corner of State Fair and Kelly. Very familiar with that whole area. Grandma lived in Rossini, mom and dad grew up there. they went to MacGregor, Burbank and Denby. Jeez, now that I think about, everyone I know is from the far east side.

Detroitej72

Post Number: 489
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 1:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Went to Kavan's for dinner
______________________________ ___________________

Kavan's Coloney East Bar & Grill(Since 1926), East Side...

I miss Kavan's , & Madges' home cooking...

During the last days, her son (during the late 90's) tried to turn the place into a sports bar. It failed.

I went inside the current business; i.e; bar this week, (for my job) and was plesantly suprised to see everything intact...

Gistok

Post Number: 3577
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 1:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Geez, did someone say Kavan's... (on Morang just north of where Cadieux ends)... so many memories... There were other Kavan's later on... are any left?

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1097
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 2:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

one on 12 and hayes

Gistok

Post Number: 3580
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 2:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah... the one that used to be "Six Pense Restaurant"....

Detroitej72

Post Number: 490
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 2:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There were other Kavan's later on... are any left?

------------------------------ ------------------

Gistok, tell us your memories from Kavan's on Morang.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 2:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was conceived at 5241 Farmbrook, and born at St. Johns Hospital. My dad went to Northwestern, my mom Regina. I went to Marquette, St Philiomenia, Finney High School, and the school of hard knocks.I moved to LaFontaine at 17. At 18 I moved to Devonshire, and then to an apartment at E Warren and Three Mile Dr. above the old Papercraft (Tiffiney). After that, I moved to the wild west side to Casper and McGraw.From there back to the east side to Whitehill St. Presently, we live in funky funky Ferndale. I work for the city of GPF and travel thru my old neighborhoods every day.I try to keep a camera with me at all times.I love Detroit, and I hope you do too.

Carm
Username: Carm

Post Number: 16
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember Jason's bakery. It always smelled so good in there.

Stryker81
Username: Stryker81

Post Number: 16
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There used to be a Kavan's on Hall road up until about 3 or so years ago. The place always seemed busy, so I have no idea why they closed it up. It is now a Bone Yard BBQ.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2385
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bullet, you've shown such enduring dedication to the east side...you should move back. There are more than a few neighborhoods in GPF, as I'm sure you know, where the homes are affordable and not too different than the ones in Ferndale, although I'm not saying that Ferndale doesn't have its own redeeming qualities.

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 85
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lived at Nottingham & Linville near I-94 from 1969 to 1987, with a brief sojourn in '86 on Woodhall near Chandler Park Drive. Later lived on Bedford between Cornwall and Munich from '93 to '96.

St. Matthew's K-8 ('74-'83), Bishop Gallagher '83-'84, DLS '84-'87. WMU '87-'92.

Hangouts were my great-uncle's grocery store at Warren and Marlboro, near Chalmers. Lik-a-Dip on Warren, Gabe's penny candy store at Warren and Nottingham, M&M pet store, etc.

Later hung at Zapperz arcade, Mr C's, Balduck Park, Stellwagen, Serv-Well and Frank's Deli on Harper, Ray's Delicatessen and Nino's on Warren, Rose and Dom's, the Hungry Penguin, Burger Chef on Mack, and always the library behind the Alger.

When I was old enough, the Cadieux Cafe and Ye Olde Tap Room. Oh, and anyone remember Pointe Billiards?

Movies: Alger, Woods, Civic, and Vogue.

Restaurants: BJ's on Warren (my mom and uncle worked tere), Cal's, Cracker's Pizzeria, and later, Mr. Lou's Rhythm & Blues.

First real job was busing tables at the Blue Pointe in '85, and later I was the broiler chef.

Also bused tables at Park Place Cafe at Nottingham and Mack.

First robbery in '82.
Best robbery in '86.
First drive-by in '96.

Harpernottingham

Post Number: 86
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bulletmagnet, I'm in Ferndale now, too. Just north Livernois, just north of 8 Mile. E-mail me if you care to chat more. dmesrey@hotmail.com.

Chalu64

Post Number: 74
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just mentioned BJs to my mom yesterday. Remember going in there for hot turkey sandwiches. Zapperz...I used to frequent that with my husband many moons ago....fond memories of watchiing him play TRON.

Harpernottingham

Post Number: 96
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A guy named Nick used to run BJ's in the mid- to late-'70s. I remember the smell of that place like it was yesterday. And the leather booths. They say scent can produce the strongest memories. Man, my memory is producing the scent even in reverse.

I preferred Asteroid and Defender up at Zapperz.
Oh, and the cheeseburgers next door at Wimpy's.

Later on, there was a club nearby on Warren called Club LePosse.

Man, Warren was the avenue of bowling, wasn't it? Who hasn't bowled a few frames at Dallas Supermarket?

Chalu64

Post Number: 78
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny that you mentioned the Hungry Penguin. I mention that place to my friends from the area and they have no clue.
I still can picture that Penguin spinning around on the sign.
What was the name of the Dairy Queen down the block from St. Matts? I remember buying novelty stuff, smoke bombs etc from there.

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 817
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grew up on Novara same as detroitej, Went to carmens party store all the time. all public school in east detroit(eastpointe). Lived in east english for a few years. also lived on lodewyck near chester(near balduck park). many memories.

Carm
Username: Carm

Post Number: 23
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you mean Ted's Dairy Bar?

Eastside_charlie
Username: Eastside_charlie

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok,
no susui quattro wasn't steiner's daughter!
she grew up in the PARK.

Eastside_charlie

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok,
no susie quattro wasn't steiner's daughter!
she grew up in the PARK.

Eastside_charlie

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

parks
When you start paying Taxes for the Parks,
then you can enter the tax subsidized parks.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathleen you mention Three Mile Drive? How about the Rishers? Brodeurs,Clayes? I think they were there. I went to school and knew them.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bullettmagnet! You work with Gator?

Yawdamp
Username: Yawdamp

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathleen do you remember Sister Christopher from St.Clare?@1968?

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages on the DetroitYES forums. To register click the JOIN button at the top to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: