Discuss Detroit » Active Archive » ItsJeff has passed away » Wake for ItsJeff « Previous Next »
Get together tonight to talk about JeffDday02-21-07  7:40 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1404
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you are planning on attending the services on Tuesday at 3PM for Jeff Colby (ItsJeff) in Pontiac.
http://www.sparksgriffin.com/
Arrangements have been made at the Fox and Hounds Restaurant in Bloomfield Hills for a gathering of DetroitYES and other friends following the service.

Fox

http://www.foxandhoundsonline.com/

The Fox and Hounds was built in 1928 and retains the historic character of the era.
There will be a cash bar.
There is valet parking in the front and free parking in the rear.
We have a room set on the side of the pub.
The Fox and Hounds is on Woodward just south of Long Lake on the East side of Woodward.

I didn't want to post this in the other thread, wanting to keep that for condolences and memories.

If you plan on coming, please post a note here so they have an idea of how many people to expect.

Even if you can't attend the service, please come by.

(Message edited by PSIP on February 19, 2007)

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9224
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget those at the other site (I guess I cannot put any name similar to that site on here). I know Jeff had many friends at that site (Lotsa Fudge that is hot) as well. I am sure they would want to attend.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3683
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

[2 coming] I'll be there with Mrs. Lowell. A link to this thread will has been added the 'ItsJeff Has Passed Away' thread announcement line.

Billybbrew
Username: Billybbrew

Post Number: 242
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be there and AllanM will be riding with me. so there's 2 more.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 489
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will be there following the wake.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1013
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I should be able to make it. I'm going to be at the memorial service

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11290
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As for donations and what they should go towards, how about a brick for the riverwalk? "IN MEMORY OF JEFF COLBY, from his friends," or something along those lines?

It was brought to my attention that another website has decided to dedicate their brick they were raising money for in memory of Jeff. I think it would be great for him a couple to pay him tribute.

(Message edited by supersport on February 19, 2007)

Supergay
Username: Supergay

Post Number: 28
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow, what a great idea!

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 490
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with the riverwalk brick idea.

Mtm
Username: Mtm

Post Number: 191
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't make the wake or memorial but ItsJeff was one of my FAVORITE forumers so please let me know how I can contribute toward the River Walk stone.

With DEEPEST sympathy on a GREAT LOSS.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4852
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba can't make the events but would contribute to a memorial for Itsjeff.

A very sad day.

jjaba.

Bumble
Username: Bumble

Post Number: 35
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about putting aside the snippy back and forth and instead pool resources in Jeff's honor? Jeff could see beyond the pettiness, why can't DY and Fudge for this one occasion?

Msamericana
Username: Msamericana

Post Number: 59
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love the Riverwalk brick idea. I'm willing to donate. Or is there any particular Detroit-based organization or cause to help others that he felt strongly towards / participated in?

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8402
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will be there along with Jams, Harmony, and another seat-filler to be determined. Might be my Corktown cousin, could be YOU?!

Who needs a ride from the city?

I daresay both the funeral home nor Fox&Hound is prepared for the outpouring of those with Itsjeff memories and perhaps a wee repayment of the debt of love and grace he kept lending to us, no matter how little we deserved it!

Supersport

Post Number: 11293
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Better than a brick would be to display his picture some place for public display, as his smile spoke as to what kind of person he truly was. Is there any such place where you can purchase a dedication for display? Local heros, or something of that sort?

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4854
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With that photo with the Yellow Tigers hat, make a poster and put it on display in the lobby of the Federal Courthouse, Detroit. A small note can be left to explain his passing. He worked there 20 years as a Law Clerk in service to the people.
His co-workers would appreciate it.

jjaba.

Supersport

Post Number: 11294
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is an amazing idea jjaba! I'd chip in what I can for that.

Gannon

Post Number: 8404
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aren't they OFF today, too?!

Hope Andy and some of the others can get through to them today.

It will be a very curious mix of people at this funeral home service, I don't think anyone knows what to expect...except that ONE room will not be enough to contain us.

Heh. There will be BELLY rolls of laughter from the heavens tomorrow, as our grief turns to joy with each other...as we relate the facet of the Itsjeff-gem that we had the pleasure to glimpse.

I cannot wait for this numbness to end.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1931
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If anyone is looking to give to a non-profit in Jeff's name, which is also a good idea, I know that he was a big supporter of the Triangle Foundation, and in fact had just met with Jeffrey Montgomery, the director, last week.

www.tri.org

I am sure there are other causes that were close to his heart as well, but this is one I know of for sure.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1960
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeff's mom told us that she talked with someone at the Court where Jeff had worked and they told her that time off would be given to whoever wanted to attend the memorial service. I imagine that we will see many of his former colleagues there tomorrow.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1961
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Almost forgot to add that I expect that I will stop at Fox and Hounds too. Dave has a gig, so not sure if he will be able to join us.

Matt_the_deuce
Username: Matt_the_deuce

Post Number: 707
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be attending the gathering at the Fox and Hounds.

Newman
Username: Newman

Post Number: 76
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will be attending at The Fox and Hounds.

Awfavre
Username: Awfavre

Post Number: 104
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I’d like to attend at the Fox & Hounds, since I can’t attend the funeral services, but I can’t get there until after I pick up my carpool rider & drop her off. Will anyone still be there around 7:30?

Psip

Post Number: 1405
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I plan on being there until at least 9PM. I am sure there will be a few people left. I don't expect that it will start until 4 or 4:30

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1159
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Count 2 more in for the group meeting after the service.

I love the brick idea. Someone gave us one for Christmas. I was wondering...do they have larger bricks for sale? If we all contributed, I think we could get a pretty nice "memorial" for Jeff. If anyone had contacts with the conservancy, please check it out. Their website only hase the normal brick size ( which would be fine...just wondering)

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 305
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a larger brick, $500. Not sure of the size.

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 306
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

https://qnet.e-quantum2k.com/~ whitlock/Custom/DRFC/RETAIL/cg i-bin/nph-prod-list-jwf.cgi

8x8 Paver

Psip

Post Number: 1406
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spritofdetroit, if you give us your username and password, we might be able to see that page :-)

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 307
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmm...

8x8 Paver, $500
5 lines at 14 characters tops per line.

Go to detroitriverfront.org, click on Buy a Brick Program, and then Buy a Brick for the details

Gannon

Post Number: 8406
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dial,

I cannot think of a more appropriate venue to continue Jeff's heritage and patronage, thank you for that link.

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 928
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Count me in for the brick. I think if we each gave 25 bucks, we should be able to get the larger brick...just from the number of folks who have positively responded to the idea on both threads. Can anyone get a paypal account together just for this or an address to send the money? Anyone willing to tackle this project? If not, I would be happy to do it, but I really think someone who was really close to him should be the one in charge.

Psip

Post Number: 1407
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitteacher Lowell has said he will set up a paypal account. See the tribute thread.

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 929
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

great, thanks for the info...I am trying to read everything and just hadn't gotten there yet :-)

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 455
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I plan to attend.

Psip

Post Number: 1409
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I count about 18 people at this time.

Vic_doucette
Username: Vic_doucette

Post Number: 318
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope to be there.

Supersport

Post Number: 11301
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be there, as will ErikD whom is riding up with me. I can vouch that a good number out last night said they would be there, out of 13 of us. A few others I spoke to on the phone said they were attending as well, so I'd bump that up another dozen at least.

I would expect that the number will be much higher than that though, as I'm willing to bet many simply haven't chimed in.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3061
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr & Mrs MikeM

Gannon

Post Number: 8407
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Psip,

I've got four in my car alone, they will not leave without me.

Jams, Harmonie, Histeric, and myself.

I plan on testing the roof joints in the place...heh.

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1187
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Count me in for the brick donation. That would be a beautiful tribute to a man that really loved this city!!!

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 231
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd be honored to contribute to the Riverwalk brick memorial for Itsjeff. I was unable to attend Jeff's memorial or the wake at Fox and Hounds. I will be at the FSC this Thursday to share a few Itsjeff memories.

Psip

Post Number: 1412
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I want to thank everyone for coming to the Fox and Hounds. The management was very pleased with the turnout and our server was very happy.
It was wonderful meeting so may forum member, I hope I can remember the names when we meet again.
Thank You
PSIP

Corktownmark
Username: Corktownmark

Post Number: 257
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 3:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^ Docmo -- me too. on both the brick and FSC. I only met jeff a few times really. He was a warm and humorous man and Mrs. corktown and I were always better for haveing spent time with him.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3690
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regarding a tribute / memorial to ItsJeff, I was approached by a family member [an aunt I think] who said the family was interested in taking part in some gesture.

She said they were likewise searching for an appropriate expression. I mentioned that a conversation in that regard had evolved here and that some nice ideas were being thought of. Since this occurred right before the memorial started I took her card and plan to talk to here today or tomorrow at the latest.

I will report back here with what I learn, but just thought I would throw that out now.

Also as mentioned on the other threads, in case you didn't notice, there is a very nice audio tribute to ItsJeff now on MichgianNow.org by Chris McCarus.

http://michigannow.org/listen. php?storyID=89

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 224
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Count us in for a donation too for the brick.

Ragtoplover59
Username: Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 48
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Count me in for a Donation as well.

Velma
Username: Velma

Post Number: 2823
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone else remember when Jeff got a bunch of forumers to playfully hi-jack threads and type, "ItsJeff is the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful human being I've ever known in my life." ??? ;-)

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4837
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Velma,
Thanks for that remembrance. I tried my damndest to find or remember the exact words last week.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 985
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, that was a good one. He got it from the Raymond Shaw thing in the Manchurian Candidate.

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages here. To participate click JOIN THE DISCUSSION at the left to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: