Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » (Another) I-94 Expressway Question « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 643
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just finished re-reading the various threads about our local freeways. One question I am curious about has to do with the construction of I-94: Why does the road rise up from the 'ditch' level, to 'ground' level as you travel along the length of the Chandler Golf Course? Some one once told me it was because there was granite underneath that section, but I think it had more to do with need and cost. I know that the Southfield has many spots like this, but the Ford has just this one until you get west of Dearborn, or east of I-696. Any ideas?

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 695
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is under the freeway at that point? A bunch of folks on this site love to look at old maps to find rivers a streams which have directed under the city. Maybe, a creek runs under the freeway at that point! Just a guess.

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 373
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I remember reading the the Free Press 300 year anniversary book that there is a creek running under there.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4547
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it's nothing more than simple economics. What was the point of digging deep when there will be no bridges crossing that nearly half mile section of I-94. Ditto for the many spots along the Southfield Fwy (although that seems more like a roller coaster ride).

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 433
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope Conners Creek is under there.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5357
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok is correct about Southfield Freeway.
It was already a large surface blvd. so they simply had to dig out the major mile rd. intersections to get it ready for a real expressway. The blvd. median was extracted and resurfaced as an expressway.

jjaba has never been on I-94 East but would think that with no cross streets, it was cheaper to build it as surface roadway.

jjaba on the westside.

Gistok

Post Number: 4548
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fareastsider, I don't disagree with you, but it was probably a combination of factors.

After all several rivers, such as the Milk River on I-94 just north of 8 Mile, also cross freeways. In those instances they have pumping facilities along either side of the freeways to handle the below grade water flow.

Maybe at Chandler Park they took the easy way out, by bringing the freeway up to street grade, since no freeway bridges were needed in that area.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 86
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 1:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok,
I agree with you. Why dig when you don't need to. Also the aesthetics of traveling next to a golf course sure beats traveling along in a ditch.

Gistok

Post Number: 4549
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 1:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This whole discussion does bring up an interesting topic that I don't ever remember reading about on this forum...

What was the affect to the Detroit sewer system when the freeways were first built? And how were they rerouted?

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 645
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 7:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good question about the sewers, Gistok.It would seem that a dig that deep would be a challenge for the engineers. One can see some bridges that carry water mains, and there some visible concrete bunkers along any freeway stretch. I would presume these 'bunkers' handle the sewerage, and other infrastructure gear. I think you answered the original question here correctly as economics more then anything. But still I wonder...

Kville
Username: Kville

Post Number: 61
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I read in The Detroit Almanac (page 148) that Fareastsider is correct. Conner Creek runs under there. And as Gistok pointed out, because of the park, there's no need to dig it out.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 649
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well well well! So there IS something under there. Maps, any one? Thanks Kville. And you too Fareastsider.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 436
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do a search on the Milk River or it may be in the HOF. I know there is a 1910 map of Conner Creek courtesy of Mikem in the HOF I dont know how to link it though. Which reminds me I know it was posted before....how do you make links out of words on the board...a shortened link?

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3365
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Ford used to end at Conner (actually Norwood) before it was extended to Macomb County. When it was extended, there was no need to ditch it since there was only a park on one side, and a business strip on the other. It dives down again when is reaches a residential area.

Conner Creek does not flow under it at that point. The creek's enclosure runs between Conner on the east and the railroad tracks paralleling Conner to the west.

The main interceptor sewers were already below grade by 25'-50' along the path of the expressway.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2312
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fareastsider, try this:

\newurl{https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/89914/90917.html,Active Archive: Milk River?}

That should produce this:

Active Archive: Milk River?

Gistok

Post Number: 4565
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jimaz! My bad, it wasn't the Milk River that crossed I-94, but the Girard Drain, which empties into the Milk River.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 672
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So we all agree that the only thing under this portion of 94 is dirt? No river, or Nike missiles or Hoffa?

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live up in Chesterfield...the construction on 94 has been annoying. Hopefully they will be done by August or late august/early sept. Bulletmagnet..speaking of Nike Bases, there used to be one at Selfridge and one in Algonac.

Dtwflyer
Username: Dtwflyer

Post Number: 61
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those concrete bunkers you see are the stormwater pumping stations used to pump out the water that collects in the low spots under bridges in depressed highways.

If there is a power failure during a heavy rain/t-storm, or the pumps fail, then its possible for several feet of water to collect in these low points. Thats when you hear about the highway flooding and then the TV news crews run out there to fill footage of idiots flooding out their cars.

As said, the sewer mains/intercepters are well underground. The collector lines underneath neighborhood streets are usually at least 7-10 feet underground. The mains that go underneath an expressway would be as said at least 20' or more, far enough the depressed road bed in most instances.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 943
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If there is a power failure during a heavy rain/t-storm, or the pumps fail, then its possible for several feet of water to collect in these low points.

A lot of times, the scrappers are the cause of these failures. They steal the copper wiring and the theft is not discovered until the next rainfall.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.