Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Race complaint filed against Chesterfield Township police department « Previous Next »
Archive through September 05, 2007Cybersanford30 09-05-07  11:52 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9943
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sj - I must have miunderstood your first post.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1653
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1 -- In high school a girlfriend was driving three of us to a classmates house at Joy and Southfield when we got pulled over.

They thought we were there to buy drugs. We were there for a Christmas party at our friend's house.

Guns drawn, had to put our hands out the windows and everything. Looking back it was super silly. The cop telling us he's not racist since his wife is white, telling us that he could take us down the street (that my friend, who was Irish, lived on) and show us the IDs on the ground of all the white kids who were killed there while buying drugs. But they managed to scare the crap out of us. Which was their intent.

We had a great story when we got there though.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 483
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lets get all the facts before we rush to judgement. Maybe the two Americans rights were violated. Isnt if possible that the cops in question are two hypersensitive emotional jerks who turned the defendants emotional reaction or voice raising into 'disorderly conduct'. My money is on the 'disorderly conduct' getting thrown out. The cops behaviour may have influenced the girls reaction. Supposedly we live in a free society and can go wherever we want but Americans restrict one anothers freedom of movement with intolerant antagonistic behaviour.

Michigan
Username: Michigan

Post Number: 1064
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cybersanford- let's just bypass the stupid langauge, and tell me where you got those facts. I would be very interested in seeing them. Thanks

Umcs
Username: Umcs

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's Chesterfield Township for crying out loud. They pull people over, white or black, for going 3 miles over the speed limit.

If you mouth off to them, they toss the book at you, regardless of you being white or black. Given my past experience with Chesterfield Township, this stuff happens regardless of race. Sometimes an overzealous cop with nothing to do is an overzealous cop with nothing to do except write traffic tickets.

Jt1

Post Number: 9946
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Susan - Appreciate the story.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 484
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We dont need overzealous cops in our 'free' society. They should immigrate to another country: Let them go live somewhere else if they want to be jerks. We have too much antagonistic behaviour in our society. The police should be fighting for social justice instead of acting like jerks.

Jt1

Post Number: 9999
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A little update on the story:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=20077090503 80

quote:

Mercedes Johnson, 23, and Kentia Nichols, 21, were stopped by police on Aug. 24 in the parking lot of a Wal-Mart store near Gratiot and M-59. After being detained in the lot for more than an hour, they were arrested and jailed overnight before being released without charges, they said.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1578
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

chestertucky is notoriously racist as is the majority of folks in that area

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 348
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terry - I admire the sentiment, but among the last people that I want "fighting for social justice" are the po-leece. There's plenty of crime-fighting to be done, and a force that works to professional standards should be good enough for all of us.

SueR - was that party in Herman Gardens? (just kidding) The cops may have been jerking your chain, or they could have thought that they were doing you a favor. White suburbanites got beaten, robbed and even killed when they came to my little 'hood for drugs. The crap that I took from the DPD for just being a white kid in my own neighborhood (must be here to buy, they thought) made it difficult for me to feel sympathy for that parade of fools.

One_shot
Username: One_shot

Post Number: 333
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did it ever occur to anyone that maybe the real racists are the black people this time? Is it just because a white officer stopped them in a white neighborhood? I'm sure that was their attitude right from the start and they began their ranting and raving. Thats my take. If I were stopped for something I would obey the officers and answer any questions they had especially if I was innocent! Now if the cop wanted to play the power card (which is also common)and treat me with no respect thats another thing. It does NOT necessarily mean it was a racially motivated stop. People can act like idiots no matter what their skin color OR profession.
Of course they plan on suing...its the new thing to do for free money.
And then were gonna have an Al Sharpton speech.
ENOUGH of the damn race card!

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1660
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Craig -- Yeah, a lot of kids who went to Bishop Foley lived in Herman Gardens.

As I said before, I'm not sure of their intentions, but they sure scared the crap out of us.

Meaghansdad
Username: Meaghansdad

Post Number: 103
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its easy to say "ENOUGH" of the race card when you've not had that card played against you for the majority of your life, or, better yet, when you are given the benefit of the "DOUBT", in most instances.

If a cop pulls me over for something thats "LEGAL", I would listen and follow directions as well, but at the point that the young ladies asked for and were refused (as the story indicates) the name and badge number of the officers, they had every right to question the validity of the detainment.

It's fairly easy to say "HEY DONT PLAY THE RACE CARD, or " WATCH THEM CALL AL SHARPTON".

Who the fuck else do underprivileged, persecuted minorities have to turn to for, imagined or real, representation.

Hispanic and Caucasian America (as if theres a real difference now) have the majority of the Senate, Congress, and the freaking White House, not to mention the predominant strains of medium (TV, radio, internet) as your soapbox. What else do you want?

Michigan

Post Number: 1078
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH

Meaghansdad

Post Number: 105
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very mature
Good luck in life!

Daf
Username: Daf

Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oneshot - you just PLAYED the race card. Get a grip. You can't have it both ways.

Does ANYONE here seriously believe that suburban cops have stopped racial profiling? Anyone?

I sure don't. Good for the MMA.

Bratt
Username: Bratt

Post Number: 611
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One Shot is probably one of those cops...sounds like it to me.

I know of two incidents where people were pulled over while driving black. Both happened in the suburbs. One was pulled over for no reason. When he asked the reason, the cops just kept asking him questions like, how did he pay for his car...why does he have so many air fresheners in his car...why does he have so many miles on his car. They brought in the dogs and everything. He was only 18 and scared....shit if that was me it would have been a totally different thing.

I have only been pulled over once for doing absolutely nothing. Yes, I was still harassed....but I just looked at it as this white boy just pissed because a sistah is driving a Lexus and he probably can't afford one. I just looked at him like he was crazy because I knew I had done nothing wrong.

All this crap should not be happening today. Really, it should be over with. And white people keep saying quit playing the race card. Well if there weren't so many racists IDIOTS still among us, we wouldn't.

I say when someone is caught committing a racist act, we stone them to death! Does everyone agree with me?

Umcs
Username: Umcs

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Racists are idiots. I've dealt with waaay too many of them. This applies to all races by the way, since I'm still a "barbarian" to the Japanese I know. I don't think there is a good way to "deal" with the issue frankly.

I'd hazard a guess though, that getting an attorney and threatening lawsuits is something that just continues to breed ill will though.

Meaghansdad

Post Number: 107
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bratt,
I feel your pain, but stoning them to death is too good. That would make us no better than them.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 118
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's hope they release that video from the police car's camera so this can all be cleared up.
I know, like THAT will settle anything.

Jt1

Post Number: 10015
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Let's hope they release that video from the police car's camera so this can all be cleared up.
I know, like THAT will settle anything.

My guess is that somehow the tape will get lost or accidentally damaged.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 119
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just throwing out a question: If someone gets stopped who fits the description of a specific criminal suspect (height, weight, clothes, car, location, etc.), is that profiling?

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 2088
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Obstructions hanging from the rear-view mirror (Air fresheners) is a moving violation.

Jt1

Post Number: 10018
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Obstructions hanging from the rear-view mirror (Air fresheners) is a moving violation.

If you are referring to Bratt's post, Why are you assuming that the airfreheners were hanging from the rear view mirror?

_sj_

Post Number: 2089
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why are you assuming I am. Maybe I am just pointing a common violation that many people are not aware of.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4877
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd say take the cops and arrest them and put them in general population of Jackson and broadcast to the inmates that they are/were Cops!

See how Billy Bad Ass handle himself in that situation...

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1295
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

_sj_ is correct. If you have stuff hanging from the rear-view mirror, that is a violation, and the shitheads can pull you over for it. It may be perfectly obvious that they are f***ing with you for no good reason, but no amount of bawling about it changes the fact that they were totally within their rights to pull you over.

Craig

Post Number: 352
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't offer this as a "poor me" tale, but rather an alternative POV.

Me, "Craig" oft confused with others, was stopped on a number of occasions by black & white DPD officers while motoring in my own neighborhood. My "crime?" I suspect that it was my race (white as hell). Why? White suburbanites buying drugs were, other than me the mailman and a few scout car crews, the only "whites" in the area. No joke.

Cops may be racist (that's a bone - I don't believe that its an epidemic), but they're also professionals who are paid to deal with the worst that society offers. Accordingly, they see and know things that we don't, hence your law-abiding informant having to explain for the umpteenth time why my white ass was driving on Fenkell and Outer Drive. "They" look for crime and thereby roust the criminal-appearing types. Based upon my observations of younger vs. older officers I believe that the younger generation receives a lot of sensitivity training and is generally aware of the evils of popping someone only because they do/don't pass the paperbag test.

Skin color alone should never be permitted to trigger an officer's professional sense that something is awry. Training, training, & more will protect us, I trust.

One other point... in nearly every encounter that I've had outside of Detroit (distressingly many - I must look guilty) the police have been dicks (as in the accounts of posters above). But cold, cagey professionalism is the stock and trade of these guys. About the time that I wish that they were gentler I'm reminded of the thugs and other types who need to be away from the rest of us and I'm glad that the blue line stands.

Michigan

Post Number: 1086
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exactly Craig

Bratt
Username: Bratt

Post Number: 613
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just an FYI: No air fresheners hanging from the rear view....know all about those laws.

Benjo
Username: Benjo

Post Number: 31
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chesterfield township cops are corrupt. I'm white and I hate driving through there. Does anyone remember the murder of 16 year old Justin Mello about eight years ago where they kept John Kaled locked up for six months after they had found the real killers?

Craig

Post Number: 358
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Corrupt or incompetent, Benjo? Very big difference.

Further, wasn't it the Prosecutor that acted to keep JK in jail?

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2029
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I'd say take the cops and arrest them and put them in general population of Jackson and broadcast to the inmates that they are/were Cops!"

What if the cops' action were justified? Or is that just too hard for you to imagine

_sj_

Post Number: 2090
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't that New Baltimore and didn't they confess?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.