Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Gay & Lesbian in metro Detroit « Previous Next »
Archive through September 13, 2007Gannon30 09-13-07  6:28 pm
Archive through September 14, 2007Artistic30 09-14-07  3:46 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 393
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boycott Ferndale! The architecture is by and large mediocre....the scene is overrated...and don't let 'em kid ya. You are just as likely to end up living next to an oxycontin-addled hillbilly cracker clan with diaper-clad mongoloid children playing in the backyard as you are a friend of dorothy or stylish/childless hipster couple.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2449
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^

Detroitrulez

Post Number: 395
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah, that reminds me....the manhole cover thieves are creeping north into Ferndale. watch out or your meth-snorting neighbor's livestock may fall in.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2453
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha, good job.

Lobsterpots
Username: Lobsterpots

Post Number: 62
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've enjoyed this thread too. I wasn't expecting such a positive response.
I am willing to give Detroit a try. I've already been a couple of times, and have another trip planned around Columbus day w/e. For me, at this point in my life, I'm willing to make a purchase, although cannot move entirely, It seems very realistic. Based upon what I've seen, the city is on the upswing.

Ferntruth
Username: Ferntruth

Post Number: 153
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Boycott Ferndale! The architecture is by and large mediocre....the scene is overrated...and don't let 'em kid ya. You are just as likely to end up living next to an oxycontin-addled hillbilly cracker clan with diaper-clad mongoloid children playing in the backyard as you are a friend of dorothy or stylish/childless hipster couple"

What utter nonsense, Detroitrulez.

I'm sure you will make the right decision for you, Lobsterpots.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1746
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"You really ought to give De-troit a try"

Meridth Wilson forgive me!

Supergay
Username: Supergay

Post Number: 80
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would like to point out that you don't necessarily have to drive to the suburbs to get quality food, clothing, etc.

The grocery shopping thing is this myth that has taken on a life of its own. I don't meet a suburbanite who doesn't ask me where I shop for groceries. Aside from Eastern Market - which is unique to the region and obviously great - there are a bunch of other great options within a mile of my house.

As for clothing - there are some good places down here, but i do want to point out that the drive up Woodward from 9 mile to Somerset and the drive up 75 from downtown to Somerset take about the exact same amount of time.

Ferndale is definitely gay friendly. But THE gay neighborhood? I don't think so. One and a half gay bars, a gay shop and a gay community center does not a gayborhood make ... although it's a good start. Ferndale's lack of diversity in housing stock is what really prevents it from being anything other than a gay bedroom community. And I say that with love.

Lobsterpots

Post Number: 63
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look at Wilton Manors, FL. From what I've heard, it was a crime ridden area. Gays starting moving in, fixed, cleaned and now it a hotspot. Janesback said the same thing about Montrose in Houston...Dupont Circle in DC...It's the same tune. (of course set to a show tune music) over and over. From what I've seen, I am convinced that Detroit is ripe for gentrification. I'd be willing to bet this will begin in an area of huge historic homes that have fallen into disrepair. The prices are right, there are good deals. Probably will get even better with next year being an election year. I believe that gentrification will begin on one of these streets and become very concentrated. Just like what happened in the So. End of Boston. But gays are fickle...getting a bunch of mo's to do one thing together, is the same concept as working with a room full of cats instead.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2459
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ferndale's lack of diversity in housing stock..."

It's funny you should say that, and though I do know what you mean (Ferndale is bungalow land!), I always am amazed how different every house is from any other, because I grow up in the outer ring burbs where every house was a carbon copy of the next. In Ferndale, no two houses are alike! But they are mostly around the same size, which I think is what you are referring to.

Detroitrulez

Post Number: 403
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the lack of any semblance of a functioning (or funded for that matter) Detroit city government may be a bit of a millstone as far as gentrification is concerned....but what the hell.
you go girl [monotone staccato speaking cadence].

Sknutson
Username: Sknutson

Post Number: 936
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

LOL, I just knew you had that Spirit, heh.
When are you coming back to town for a visit?!

Gannon: I was actually in Detroit for a day or two in June, primarily for an unveiling ceremony (at least Jjaba will know what this is). In and out way way to fast - I need to come back for a longer visit and be able to meet up with some forumers.

Janesback
Username: Janesback

Post Number: 395
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Janesback said the same thing about Montrose in Houston...Dupont Circle in DC...It's the same
----------------------------

MMMhmm Lobsterpot. I bought when gays were small in numbers and now its like the land of Oz. They even have a parade each year on Gay Pride Day in June. Its the highlight of the year.
Also, because of its location downtown, real estate has gone thru the roof. There is a strong gay presence in Houston and a strong political presence . I cant tell you how much I love living in Montrose and how welcomed I feel here. Im safe, they watch out for me, critique my boyfriends, my hair and my fashion. Thanks to gays, Im no longer a fashion disaster , lol, as my neighbor who lives across the street, loves to help pick out my attire for the night. He is always critiquing my look and style, and this is all for free. He just loves dressing me with his stamp of approval. Hes so hot too...yum yum.
Yes, I have benefitted from gay men both financially and personally, for that I am so thankful. I couldnt imagine living anywheres else but here. :-) Love, Jane

Lobsterpots

Post Number: 64
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Artistic:
I made it a point to check out Brush Park. I was looking for Old Slumpy but couldn't find it.
I did find the Ransom Gillis home on Alfred St.

Artistic
Username: Artistic

Post Number: 56
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I first drove through Brush Park in 1986 it was most bizarre, time had stopped in 1885 and everyone left. I feel in love with the place right then. The city was selling house's for 1 dollar with grants providing that you brought them up to code in 3 years. I was to late when I actually looked into buying on Alfred street. The city stopped the deals. Today it is being rebuilt, most houses have fallen or been torn down. Crosswinds development brought there design ideas to the plate with "Woodward Place". I certaintly give them credit for there work however I'm not a fan of the way it looks. Go to the web site...the ruins of Detroit and take a look at Brush Park circa 1980 something.

Lobsterpots

Post Number: 65
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recently learned that the very beginning of Beverly Hills Cop was filmed at the Gillis house.

Margaret
Username: Margaret

Post Number: 140
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Artistic...I lived in Saugatuck during the summer of 1971, and loved it so much. I've heard it's been developed a whole lot, is that true? someone told me the dune area behind Oval Beach, for example, where I recall gorgeous birch trees growing from the sand, is now all built up. true? just curious...anything you can share re. Saugatuck I would appreciate hearing! thanks...

Supergay

Post Number: 81
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The enthusiasm for gay gentrification is really gratifying, but I really want to issue the caveat that, in my experience anyway, the gay community here does not function like gay communities elsewhere. It really doesn't. There is a general sense of the primarily-suburban gay crowd that they will move into Detroit when it's nice.

Just like with straight folks, there are a lot of people who came into the city, tried living here and for one reason or another it just proved too annoying and they moved out to the burbs. Crime and low standards are annoying to some people, apparently. I think it is truly an issue of getting a critical mass, but I doubt you'll see a sudden influx of gays into any one particular neighborhood anytime soon.

I'm not saying you won't have gay neighbors, I'm just saying in absolutely no way should anyone expect the kind of gentrification seen in Dupont Circle or Boston's South End. I've lived in the hearts of both before the gentrification was out of control (17th & P in DC, Dartmouth bet. Columbus & Tremont in Boston), and there is nothing like that kind of momentum - or even gay visibility - in Detroit.

Sknutson
Username: Sknutson

Post Number: 937
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Supergay: Where in Detroit do you live?

Lobsterpots

Post Number: 66
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Supergay:
What you just described as reality is the ideal situation that I'm looking for. I don't have the desire to live in the gay ghetto. In fact, I grew tired of that portion of "gay culture" long ago, and quite frankly i'm past my prime for that sort of stuff. I don't want to live in the thick of it. I could be living in the South End right now if I wanted to. Years ago it was fun when I was a twink..dancing on the cube and going out five nights a week and endless circuit parties, always out. Like I said before, I'm not faaaahbulous (anymore). I'm partnered now and have been for a long time and I have a teenage daughter, and my partner has three teens. Thurs or Fri is our night out, I shop (for myself) at Wal Mart! Gone are the $400. D&G jeans along with the 29 inch waist and abs and 20 miles a day on Rollerblades. I'm not a bear either, just happy as a clam and settled. I guess you could best describe me as a suburban police wife. It's comforting to know that there will be some of the Velvet Mafia in the Detroit neighborhood that I choose, and also relieved that the moral majority isn't going to stage a protest on my front lawn when they figure out that all they see is the same two guys together all the time. Certainly it would be nice if more of us moved in, but its not a must.
Im really looking forward to making over one of these homes next summer.

Artistic
Username: Artistic

Post Number: 57
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Margaret..Saugatuck has changed over the years but remains a charming town as does neighboring Douglas which has been completley restored and developed. The dunes by Oval Beach continue to be a hot button. The property was owned by the Denison family and they sold all of it to one very wealthy man who wants to have very large homes built on the lake front.What makes this area truly unique is that all people can go any where and be who they are without any problems. I came back here because of the people.

Supergay

Post Number: 82
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lobsterpots, I did a post on my blog a little while back about gayborhoods that reflects my opinions on the matter a lot better than my posts here. It's long, otherwise I'd just cut-and-paste it here.

I do think a gay center is important, I'm just not bullish on it happening very easily. You seem like the exact kind of gay this city needs, though!

http://supergaydetroit.blogspo t.com/2007/08/on-gayborhoods.h tml

Sknutson, I live in the Lafayette Park area.

Jazzstage
Username: Jazzstage

Post Number: 105
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 2:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting how gays come into areas renovate areas resulting in better shopping, higher property values etc. Next come the young hipsters. Ferndale seems to be stuck in this phase. In the next logical step, the breeders move in/hipsters grow up and force the schools to improve. Ferndale, with mostly smaller homes doesn't really welcome the square footage needs of the modern family. I loved my little home I had at 9 and Woodward. Back then I had a 900 sq foot home. Now I have 900 square feet of children's toys.

Also, I remember how Palmer Woods was still hanging on as a pretty strong gay community back in the 90's. I recall Menjos, Bookies and Footlights. Footlights had jazz so I went there a couple times. It was too bad when it burnt down. Was the area historically gay? Did Detroit ever have a historically gay area?

Supergay

Post Number: 85
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jazzstage that blog post I linked to has a link to a great Metro Times article about the more recent history of gay neighborhoods in Detroit, sort of from Palmer Park onward, and also some comments from gay Detroiters familiar with the more long-term history.

Jazzstage
Username: Jazzstage

Post Number: 108
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the heads up. Your blog posts are hilarious. But you should know that Kylie Minogue sounds more like Andy Bell than George Michael.

Jenniferl
Username: Jenniferl

Post Number: 398
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just thought y'all might like to know that there's a new bookstore downtown Royal Oak called Five-Fifteen. It's on Washington between 5th and 6th. I was in there yesterday. Although it isn't what you'd call a gay bookstore, a la Chosen Books or Just4Us, they have a lot of books and magazines that are targeted toward gay men, along with T-shirts and buttons and other merchandise. Overall, I'd call it a store for political progressives.

Mw2gs
Username: Mw2gs

Post Number: 278
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Highland Park is the perfect locale.

Ferntruth

Post Number: 156
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The grocery shopping thing is this myth that has taken on a life of its own. I don't meet a suburbanite who doesn't ask me where I shop for groceries. Aside from Eastern Market - which is unique to the region and obviously great - there are a bunch of other great options within a mile of my house."

The Brookings Institute would disagree with you on this in addition to me. I read a report they did a while back on food shopping in Detroit, and they put it at a "critical" level. The lack of availability of fresh produce, fresh meat, etc.
So, it's not just my pro Ferndale bias (which I freely admit to having) that makes me say that Detroit has little decent shopping options.

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 221
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Detroitrulez,

The oxycontin-addled hillbilly cracker clan with diaper-clad mongoloid children playing in the backyard on my block moved out a couple weeks ago after getting foreclosed. They did manage to go out with a bang, squealing the truck tires in an acrid, ashen cloud of burning rubber out on the street and leaving their home and yard filled with fetid trash. But us remaining dorothy or stylish/childless hipster couples in the neighborhood made sure to help clean up and pester code enforcement, and now the house is secured and clear of rodent-attracting trash on the outside. We are now eagerly awaiting the sight of the home's new owners as proof of neighborhood progress in Ferndale.

Detroitrulez

Post Number: 406
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool. Just hope it doesn't turn into a rental, or they'll be right back with some cousins in tow.
Now's a good time to be a landlord, as there are a lot of folks unable to own (anymore).

Supergay

Post Number: 86
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ferntruth, I am just reporting my life. Obviously the Brookings Institute knows it better though.

Don't confuse interpreting statistics with real life experiences.

Ferntruth

Post Number: 158
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^and don't confuse your personal experience as being true for everyone in the city....

Detroitrulez

Post Number: 409
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

meow

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1895
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back to the topic at hand... Lobsterpots, since you say you are looking for a "mansion", that does rule out some areas such as Ferndale, and probably most of midtown/Woodbridge. Although to be fair there are some mansions scattered around midtown such as W. Canfield street, and parts of Brush Park. Woodbridge has great historic homes but they're more in the 2000 sq ft range.

For a large neighborhood of generally intact and consistently large (minimum 3000 sq ft) mansions, you'll want to check out Indian Village, Arden Park/Boston-Edison, and Palmer Woods. I live in Indian Village and it has a substantial gay community (as does adjacent West Village), probably 20-30% gay, so you would not feel out of place here at all. I'm actually not gay myself so I'm not as up on composition of the other neighborhoods... I think the gay presence in the others may be smaller, except possibly Palmer Woods.

I hope you're looking at a substantial number of homes in each of these neighborhoods. There are plenty for sale (which is true all over metro Detroit), so you should be able to get a great deal on a fixer-upper, not just a good deal. Shop around!

As a last plug, I will mention that there's a big neighborhood open house in the "Villages" area (which includes Indian Village/West Village) on Sept 30. If you were in town then you could look at a whole bunch of homes at once. See http://www.thevillagesofdetroi t.org/villages_landing_page.ht ml

Not sure what your price range is, but here's a smattering of Indian Village homes to check out:
http://tinyurl.com/2b56cq
http://homes.realtor.com/prop/ 1083925053 (West Village)
http://tinyurl.com/2l7fc5
http://tinyurl.com/295pe7
http://tinyurl.com/2bkxbz
http://homes.realtor.com/prop/ 1087428063
http://homes.realtor.com/prop/ 1080901931
http://homes.realtor.com/prop/ 1086893828
http://homes.realtor.com/prop/ 1088779185
http://homes.realtor.com/prop/ 1077789502
http://tinyurl.com/26lq7w
http://homes.realtor.com/prop/ 1088063756
http://homes.realtor.com/prop/ 1067765152

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 322
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ferntruth, I have to agree with Supergay on his comments, I think we live in the same area (Lafayette Park), The Brookings report is probably true for various areas in the city but seriously flawed in our area. Supergay speaks the truth, for food/alcohol, and eatibles at least , there is more than ample choices in the area. To negate that this exists is quite simply wrong. I had this silly discussion again last week with someone from Troy who asked me the same old questions and said I must get tired of driving to the burbs to get food. I told him to come to my place and showed him that everything I buy is from the city, and we are not talking basic food items by any means, Infact, I had some products he had never seen before,, I also then asked him if he can walk to the baseball game after he puts his shopping items away,, walk to 30 restaurants or walk to the theater to see a professional entertainment act, or ,go for a walk along the riverfront. Not meaning to be silly here but its just that so many of us down here continue scratching our heads at the some of the comments on here regarding no conveniences. We do have to drive 20 minutes to get to a mall if we want to but I did the same when living in Huntington Woods three years ago. I also had to drive there to all my "conveniences".

Supergay

Post Number: 87
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will say this - I am glad that the people who fixate on minutae like how far away groceries are stay in the suburbs. In the grand scheme of my quality of life, driving 5 minutes to work and 20 to Whole Foods, if I want to go there, is a reasonable tradeoff. Imagine the reverse?

It's actually a nice aspect to living in the city, for now, the way that it is self-selecting.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2404
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Supergay --

That is the first time I have seen somebody use that logic in the years I have been here.

But who would not rather drive 20-30 minutes once a week to go to Whole foods/Papa Joes, than drive 30 minutes 5 days a week, and then 3 minutes once a week to the grocery store.

And that is assuming that you need to do a major shopping at an upscale grocer weekly. Which most don't.

You are brilliant, I tell you.

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 859
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 8:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Supergay is my Hero! Although, I DO have to drive 20 minutes to my Job in Troy (and if I NEED anything from the Whole Foods, I just stop by on my way home). Regardless, I think people use the whole Grocery thing as an excuse. If we had a Grocery on every corner, they would complain there's nowhere to park or they don't want to cart the bags 2 or 3 blocks or whatever. I can usually call out those questions in 2 seconds, then the naysayers are left dumbfounded.

Ferntruth

Post Number: 159
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 8:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ferntruth, I have to agree with Supergay on his comments, I think we live in the same area (Lafayette Park), The Brookings report is probably true for various areas in the city but seriously flawed in our area."

You're certainly entitled to your opinion. I just find it odd that since Lafayette Park seems to have a few choices, that you can extrapolate to the entire city. I'm not defending the Brookings report - that is not my place. I'm simply saying that after they actually studied the issue(and did not just base it on an immediate neighborhood), they determined that on a CITYWIDE scale, Detroit is seriously lacking in quality shopping. If you choose to live there despite this, then go for it. For me, lack of decent shopping, lack of decent city services, and apathetic neighbors is not an enticement to locate to an area.

Supergay

Post Number: 88
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK yeah, but Ferndale is not that much bigger than the greater Lafayette Park/Eastern Market area. So you really are making a huge leap by comparing 3-4 square miles to what, 140?

When my friends in other cities ask in shock why the gay community is not gentrifying neighborhoods here, I tell them about the typical SE Michigan "suburban gay" mentality, and you are exactly the kind of person I describe. It's like the polar opposite of fabulous.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

(Message edited by supergay on September 19, 2007)

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 579
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If you choose to live there despite this, then go for it. For me, lack of decent shopping, lack of decent city services, and apathetic neighbors is not an enticement to locate to an area.

Ferntruth,you may well be correct, as long as you are focusing on the city as a whole. But for me, living in Lafayette Park, Detroit is very walkable for many of the activities of my daily life. Within easy walking distance I have movie theaters, clothing shops (Brooks Bros. & Jos. Banks), the River Walk, the Boll Family YMCA, Border's Books, banks, Eastern Market, churches (2 Episcopal, 2 Lutheran, 5 Catholic, 2 Presbyterian, 2 Baptist, 1 Greek Orthodox, 2 Jewish), an auto mechanic shop, a drug store, a hardware store, countless restaurants, coffee shops, florists, and many, many good neighbors and friends.

Also, in my experience, some city services are quite satisfactory. Our trash is always picked up when it should be, the Water Dept. has gone to extraordinary lengths to fix area main breaks, and the Detroit Public Library system is first rate.

As far as your reference to "apathetic neighbors," you clearly have never been in a conversation with 2 or more Lafayette Park residents at the same time. :-)

Also, in the interest of honesty, I don't actually walk to all those churches: but I could if I wanted to.

Living in Detroit, in general, and in Lafayette Park in particular, has worked for me and enabled me to have a quality of life that I could not find elsewhere in the metro area. However, I realize that it is not for everyone and my satisfaction does not require me to disparage the choices of others. You, clearly, enjoy your quality of life in Ferndale and I can understand why.

Detroitduo

Post Number: 861
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, once again? Why don't we have a REAL GAYborhood in Detroit? Not because of lack of Grocery stores. Not because of gaybashing or übercrime. Not because of a lack of diverse housing stock. Nope! But because of attitudes.

If some gays feel safe and comfortable in their cute suburban communities with a cornucopia of "conveniences", they make the gays who want and enjoy a decidedly Urban, Edgy and Diverse community out to be "out of their minds" and (quite honestly) vice versa.

I have no problem with people who like Ferndale and want to live there. But don't tell me it is some "Übercool" up and coming gayborhood, JUST because it has a Gay Community Center! It is not! All it is, is a suburb where many many gays have decided to call "home". Shit, even Wilton Manors in FTL at least has a "GAY" stripmall to go with their Community Center! Ferndale doesn't even have that. So, sorry, If Ferndale is the best we have to offer, I will continue to live downtown where, at least I have diversity, an amazing selection of dining/bar(not gay) options and a spread-out network of gay friends, throughout the City (and suburbs).

It's just really too bad that the mentality and attitudes are such that there is NO chance of reforming what once was, somewhere else in this grand City of ours. In the meantime, I LOVE where I live and I am glad you do, too.

Margaret
Username: Margaret

Post Number: 157
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks, Artistic. I would love to see Saugatuck again one of these days...good memories.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 324
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Neil, it seems like Ferntruth doesn't seem to understand what Lafayette Park is like..I actually think both areas offer good living standards but the strengths and weaknesses are very different. Ferndale is a great place from what I can see but doesnt offer to many of us what we are looking for, and vice versa..we all make our choices. Its rather absurd to lable us to be living in a neighborhood that is full of apathetic neighbors, poor services and no shopping when as you brought out is far from the case in our area. We have within walking distance amenities very few areas could claim.
I have lived in several cities, and suburban neighborhoods as well and have never seen a group of people so committed to an area. The co-op membership meetings are often very well attended, and full of concerned people who are willing to help and participate. I also agree with you that one could not duplicate what life offers us anywhere else in this metro area, which makes our area unique, its full of people who feel the same way yet are very diversified. Thats the beauty of it, we get to know each other very well here.

Detroitduo

Post Number: 862
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Come on, guys! Why do you have to RUIN Detroit with your nice, clean, well cared for neighborhood!??? Don't you know we ALL, in the City, live in shit holes, full of poverty, no shopping and worst of all, no City services!

Lobsterpots

Post Number: 67
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry that I haven't written. I got pre-approved for a mortgage. It was so weird, just pick up the phone and the packet is sent in the mail. Bank of America is having a mortgage sale, they pay all the closing costs , and PMI, and let you borrow 95% with a 30 year fixed rate 6.6% mortgage. How weird is that? They gave me up to three months to find a home.
It's like ordering out for a pizza.

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 665
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit use to have a gay hood in Palmer Park,I heard?

You also can't just have a an area with just houses. You need apartments to hold that early 20 something who is going out on his own after coming out, etc.

Gay areas are not what they use to be anyway. Many gay people don't feel the need to surround themselves in a gay area anymore, as they are accepted for the most part everywhere.

Many gay areas including the one in Toronto have seen this. With many gay people moving out and living among the general population, and hardly ever setting foot in the gay district anymore, except for maybe a community centre or something.

Lobsterpots

Post Number: 69
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

still actively looking, I have to buy real low because the taxes and insurance are very high.
B of A doesnt want to lend on any fixer uppers either, so that makes it a little more challenging.

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 176
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

You also can't just have a an area with just houses. You need apartments to hold that early 20 something who is going out on his own after coming out, etc.

You also need somewhere for these people to go out to. Would Boystown be Boystown if only one gay bar was there, with the rest shotgunned around the city?

It's probably a variant of the "chicken or egg" discussion about getting the general population to consider Detroit when looking for a place to live, but; what triggers the gayborhood's development? thriving coherent gay "scene" that draws gays to live, or a bunch of gays moving into a neighborhood and creating a "scene"?

I've only been a tourist in gayborhoods so, for me, the concentration of gay life (not just bars, but restaurants, shops, coffee shops) is what made them attractive places. If I were new to the city or newly out, that is where I'd move.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.