Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Detroit Residency Requirement « Previous Next »
Archive through September 18, 2007Andylinn30 09-18-07  5:12 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1403
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hahaha. Good luck, Andy. You already have the most important educational detail down: Waving around your diploma to awe those less well educated than you.

Bowing and scraping,

detroitnerd

Oakmangirl
Username: Oakmangirl

Post Number: 392
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Andylinn,

"...or links to scholarly articles on the topic that I could read?"

I inferred from this statement that you were confusing anecdotal supportive info with scholarly research. It's actually a good idea to include real world stories to round out your essay; I'm now even more surprised to hear you're a UM alum. Don't they teach you there that solid research is gleaned through peer reviewed journals in databases accessible only through your library system? I don't think you're at fault, but it sounds like the University failed you.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 584
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oakmangirl,

people are encouraged to seek personal anecdotes and thoughts when doing research. It is what sparks a thought that may end up being of great use in a paper. You are taught to exhaust all avenues of potential leads or information when researching.

As a student, Im near speechless.... It sounds like your University failed you.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1945
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm amused that so many are impressed with their academic credentials. For what it's worth, I dropped out of WSU in my Freshman year and never looked back. I was bored silly. :-)

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 394
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spirit,

I agree; I even said so:

"It's actually a good idea to include real world stories to round out your essay..."

I'm more concerned that a grad school student would think he/she could find "scholarly articles" freely on the Internet. Even if I wanted to share such an article link, as Andylinn asked (see the first post), it could not be accessed without a password. And I say this with some authority- I have a Master's in Library and Info Science. Please read more carefully before getting all defensive.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 586
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know what you mean, I felt like you exaggerated his "problem" a little bit by stating that the university has "failed" him and what not...

just spicin things up :-)

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 396
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spirit,

Didn't mean to sound harsh or melodramatic. As a former librarian I get too worked up over these things. It really is a bummer that colleges don't properly teach research. At the very least, he'll have some colorful anecdotes from here!

Choquant
Username: Choquant

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"For starters, very few née any, scholarly article links can be shared..."

Oakmangirl, for all your snobbery in this thread, from throwing around your "master's degree" and criticizing someone simply for gathering opinions on a paper, one might guess that your grammar would be better.

Sorry for the threadjacking, Andylinn.

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 399
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Choquant,

You're right; I had French on the brain when I wrote that, it should read "nay". I knew it didn't "look" right- see, I can admit when I goof; I also apologized for seeming harsh- I admitted to the degree because I wanted to back what I was saying. It's nothing to brag about; it's from WSU.

If you read what I said, I did not criticize for gathering opinions; I was concerned (did you not read Detroitnerd) that a grad student didn't seem to know that scholarly articles can't be readily found on the Web. Why don't you focus on that? Or the fact that the original post is ambiguous? Or the fact that many posters must have a broken shift key? Sorry, I must have misunderstood the request...

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1406
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just somebody trying to remind you that you are not all-knowing. Any good follower of Socrates would already know, though! :-)

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 400
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 1:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gentle now, remember, my degree is from WSU.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1408
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 1:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha. Mine is from the SHN, a much less distinguished institution... ;)

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 401
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 1:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shouldn't that be SHK? I need a Twelve Step, bad.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1409
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 1:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha. You got me!

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 538
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i hesitate to request anymore information on this thread for fear that oakman girl and detroitnerd might find me in my apartment and kill me with their jabbing upturned noses - lest I actually LEARN something from this forum instead of receive insults... but here goes.

I'm planning on going to the main library tomorrow to look at the microfiche of freep and news articles from 1999 regarding the residency requirement. I can't seem to find too much ACADEMIC conjecture about the Detroit example specifically so I need to go play with microfiche... does anyone know what date range i'm working with here (date that the residency requirement was lifted)? I seem to recall it being fall. what month was it? thanks. -andy

p.s. bonus, when was the requirement ORIGINALLY enacted? I might as well go read those articles as well... thanks!

(and oakman girl... don't accuse me of not doing my own work again... i'm just at the beginning of my research... I have not even written an outline yet)

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1418
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, boo hoo. You have spent a lot of time in the academy: Look how hurt and huffy you can get!

Seriously, though, you keep coming here for pointers on your research. But how will you filter the WAGs (wild-ass guesses) apart from the correct answer, supposing you get it?

I have a better idea. Do your research, then come back here with solid information. That way, you will get your discussion, and we won't think you're lazy. ;)

Andylinn

Post Number: 539
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you think i'm lazy, i think you and oakman girl have sticks up your asses. we're all obviously great thinkers.

there will be no WAGs as you put it because i'm dong extensive research. I already have 15-20 sources on this topic... just can't find much from 1999 about the detroit example... -andy

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1956
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Andy, you might try giving the Detroit Police Officers Association (DPOA) a call and ask for one of the association officers. Let them know you're doing an academic study, and they just might turn out to be extremely helpful on your topic. The phone number is 567-8770; their office is at 1938 E. Jefferson. Good luck.

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 405
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitnerd is playing smartass today, I'm playing nice. Save yourself lots of guess work...ask a librarian!

I think you should try the law books in the form of city code; it will give you the entire history in one place.

Good luck. Now I have a stick to attend to....

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1419
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, I was being nice. But now, no lemon cake for you, pal ... well, maybe just the one with the broken crust ... but only if you promise to stop sulking! ;)

Andylinn

Post Number: 540
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no more sulking. i want some of that crustless lemon cake. and i'm sorry both of you about the stick comment. I was just feeling frustrated.

anyway, I believe the ban on the residency requirement was enacted on December 8th 1999.

and thank you ray and oakman for your tips...

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 406
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nerd,

I've coined WAA (Wild Ass Assumptions); Lyard drove me to that...careful, you're getting perilously close with WAG.

Since when does lemon "cake" have a crust? ;<) Note the direction of the nose.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 1485
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Andy, your budz over on Dwight Street say hello!

Andylinn

Post Number: 541
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what!? sweet. are you serious?

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 1486
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very serious brother. I will refrain from mentioning any names but was informed a few weeks back you were the kid who was home schooled. I guess I should have written Lodge, Fiske and Parkview Drives too.

Good luck on the graduate essay.

(Message edited by quozl on September 20, 2007)

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1420
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oakmangirl,

Must have subliminally picked up on your WAA. Is it infringement or homage? You decide. Then all will be well or, er, have your lawyer call me...

As for lemon cake having a crust, I guess that's just how crusty I am!

Andylinn

Post Number: 542
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Qouzl - ok, knowing that makes me VERY curious... how do I know you? - andy

Username: 7051

Post Number: 42
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As of 2002, New York had a residency requirement which required one to live in a multi-county area(but not in New Jersey only New York State)>

Pmardo
Username: Pmardo

Post Number: 60
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oakmangirl,

I have found that many scholarly articles can be found through google scholar. Is this not true?

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 424
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pmardo,

It's great for sciences, but it largely depends on publisher contracts. I wouldn't discount it, but I still think databases provide more comprehensive coverage. I think it's a supplement; how many brick and mortar libraries offer only Google Scholar?

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 435
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Inquiring minds want to know...how's the research going?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.