Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Wonderful night in the D! « Previous Next »
Archive through September 22, 2007Kathinozarks30 09-22-07  9:16 pm
Archive through September 23, 2007Detroitrulez30 09-23-07  9:10 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 238
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon..I'm 29. I keep on getting tempted to go to the meet-ups, maybe I will one day.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11699
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 5:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just for a comparison, let's see what is happening over in Chicago, another big city where "these things" happen.

Woman found along river was strangled.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/ news/local/chi-riverbody_23_bo thsep23,1,3579524.story

Police shoot man in drug bust after he rams officers car.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/ news/local/chi-opshootsep24,1, 1210783.story

2 Shot to death in Kane County (suburb I assume)

http://www.chicagotribune.com/ news/local/chi-kanefatal24_bot hsep24,1,6276797.story

3 shot, 1 killed in Back of Yards neighborhood.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/ news/local/chi-laic_24sep24,1, 4996772.story

Man fatally shot at west side party.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/ news/local/chi-lynch_24_bothse p24,1,2448031.story

Fight ends in fatal stabbing.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/ news/local/chi-070923stabbing, 1,216125.story

Man stabbed, run over by car.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/ news/local/chi-070923stab-hitr un,1,6683610.story

Woman missing after threatening phone calls.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/ news/local/chi-franklin_websep 24,1,7286252.story

So, what do we have? I got 7 dead people, one missing, over 1 weekend's time in Chicago. YAY CHICAGO! Seriously people, let's be real here. Is this acceptable? No. Is it an example of typical big city urban America on a weekend? Appears so.

Supersport

Post Number: 11700
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 5:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Over in Philly, they have 304 murders to date. Compared to 284 during the same period in 2006.

http://www.philly.com/inquirer /local/20070924_A_Citys_Deadly _Toll.html

In Indy, which typically sees just a fraction of Detroit's total homicides, a man was stabbed to death over a bike.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/p bcs.dll/article?AID=/20070924/ LOCAL1801/709240340/1195/LOCAL 18

LA has their homicide report blog to follow their city's violence.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.co m/homicidereport/

Greatlakes
Username: Greatlakes

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 5:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you not understand the concept of per capita?

The only city you mentioned similar to Detroit's size is Indianapolis, and as you mentioned, they have a fraction of Detroit's homicides.

Raggedclaws
Username: Raggedclaws

Post Number: 56
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 7:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right on, Greatlakes.

I love the D too but come on Supersport et al...love it for what it is, not what you want it to be.

Chicago & Detroit ? Detroit isn't even close to being in the same league, apples and bananas.

If this were a movie you all would be doin' some serious suspension of disbelief...

The thing is...Detroit will never rise! with people like you. You need to acknowledge shortcomings before you can change them.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 347
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Do you not understand the concept of per capita?

We've been through this before with SS. Might as well stop arguing now, before he pulls out the theory that because there's fewer people in Detroit the ratio of "bad guys" is higher, and if the population was as high as other cities our good guy-bad buy ratio would be better and the crime rate would be less... Or something asinine like that.

You get the picture?

Drm
Username: Drm

Post Number: 1145
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Comparing one city's murder rate to another's seems to suggest that a certain number of murders is ok. The fact is that this country has a murder problem.

I think it's valid to point out, as Supersport does and gets mocked for it, that murders are far less common in middle class/UMC/wealthy neighborhoods than they are in poor neighborhoods. If you want to talk about a per capita rate, Detroit's per capita poverty rate is higher than Chicago's, so it only follows that Detroit's per capita murder rate would also be higher. Does this tell us anything meaningful? I think not.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2197
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it tells us to stop rationalizing away crime.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2694
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It tells us that people who have jobs and families have better things to do than participate in street crime. It also tells us that people who have a decent quality of life want to protect their lives and families, so are less likely to perpetrate crimes against the lives and families of other people, because they understand they don't want it done to them.

Deteamster
Username: Deteamster

Post Number: 47
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What I find hilarious...is that someone apparently threw a mattress out the window into my alley(and nowhere near trash pickup) since this thread started. It's still there, complete with box spring.

Greatlakes

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 6:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>>"Comparing one city's murder rate to another's seems to suggest that a certain number of murders is ok."

No, it doesn't. It provides a way to standardize data so that you can compare the characteristics of cities that differ in population. If you don't understand that, ask yourself why we don't go by headcount to compare demographics between two cities. Detroit had more than 116,600 white residents in the 2000 census. Why, that must mean it's a whiter city than Sterling Heights, which only had about 112,895 white residents.

>>"I think it's valid to point out, as Supersport does and gets mocked for it, that murders are far less common in middle class/UMC/wealthy neighborhoods than they are in poor neighborhoods."

He was NOT pointing out that murders are far less common in middle class neighborhoods, and so he was NOT mocked for that reason. He was trying to show that the high number of murders in Detroit are just (in his own words) "an example of typical big city urban America on a weekend," using much larger cities then Detroit such as Chicago (2.8 million, more than triple Detroit's pop.), LA (3.8 million, >4.4x Detroit), and even Philadelphia (1.4 million. >1.6x Detroit) to compare.

Using that same inane way of thinking, a high school that sends 120 kids out of 400 into college is just as good as a school that sends 120 students out of 122 because the same number of students got in from both.

(Message edited by GreatLakes on September 25, 2007)

Greatlakes

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 6:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I realize now someone out there is going to say, "Wait, isn't 120 out of 400 pretty good? That's a big number, 120."

That's 30 percent.

Drm

Post Number: 1147
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 8:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

No, it doesn't. It provides a way to standardize data so that you can compare the characteristics of cities that differ in population.

Yes, it does that, but it also does what I said. If City A has X/100,000 murders and City B has <X/100,000 murders, then people conclude that City B is safe, while City A isn't, even though both have too many murders.

It's like comparing a person worth $1 billion to someone worth $2 billion. One conclusion is that the second person is twice as wealthy as the first person (which is, of course, mathematically true), but a more meaningful conclusion is that both of them are extremely rich and can buy anything they want.

quote:

He was NOT pointing out that murders are far less common in middle class neighborhoods, and so he was NOT mocked for that reason.

You're right, he didn't in his message above. I was referring to Dds' comment regarding things that Supersport has posted in the past.

Dds

Post Number: 352
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

You're right, he didn't in his message above. I was referring to Dds' comment regarding things that Supersport has posted in the past.

If SS would stick to the "crime is higher in poorer neighborhoods" argument, there would not be any discussion. His argument about good guy/bad guy ratio is farcical, and I wish I could actually search the board to find it.

Supersport

Post Number: 11701
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never once have I hear somebody say that Chicago is unsafe, even though their homicides dipped below 500 for the first time in the past couple of years. They often were 600+. Yet because more people live there, it's not a concern, for whatever reason.

The only way to honestly compare apples to apples would be to forget about lines drawn, borders between cities, and take a realistic sample. Most every top 10 city posts larger land mass than Detroit. Covering a larger area, you'll get a wider range of crimes stats, more nice areas, safer areas, and wealthier areas.

I stand by my opinion which I have stated many times before. This region suffers from disconnect from it's core city. People have forgotten what types of crimes and problems exist in big cities in this nation, because they have grown so accustomed to their suburban lifestyle. The same news that makes headlines here, makes headlines in most any other major city. Here however, if a few stories are ran back to back, it sends some into panic mode.

Buddyinrichmond
Username: Buddyinrichmond

Post Number: 236
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Never once have I hear somebody say that Chicago is unsafe, even though their homicides dipped below 500 for the first time in the past couple of years.

You have obviously never talked to the folks in suburban CHICAGO. There are plenty of people saying that except you are too far removed from the actual area in question to hear it.

quote:

The only way to honestly compare apples to apples would be to forget about lines drawn, borders between cities, and take a realistic sample. Most every top 10 city posts larger land mass than Detroit. Covering a larger area, you'll get a wider range of crimes stats, more nice areas, safer areas, and wealthier areas.

Does the statistic of murders per square mile even make any sense?

Your pal DRM is throwing you a lifeline but you aren't sharp enough to use it.

Dds

Post Number: 353
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Does the statistic of murders per square mile even make any sense?

It has the word "per" in the phrase.

quote:

People have forgotten what types of crimes and problems exist in big cities in this nation, because they have grown so accustomed to their suburban lifestyle.

How can you say people have forgotten, when they use crime and other "problems" as a reason to leave an urban area in the first place?

When you say "accustomed" do you mean used to being comfortable and safe?

Supersport

Post Number: 11702
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh look, it's my groupies! lol

Greatlakes

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>>" Yes, it does that, but it also does what I said. If City A has X/100,000 murders and City B has <X/100,000 murders, then people conclude that City B is safe, while City A isn't, even though both have too many murders."

Using your thinking, from my previous high school example, high school A which has a college matriculation rate of 30/100 is not worse than B which has a rate of 98/100 because they both have the same number of kids matriculating to college, even though they started with different student populations.

I'll try one final example for you, but if you still don't get it, I suggest you consult your nearest middle school math teacher.

On average, company A makes 1,000 cars per year, and 700 of them end up needing to be recalled. Company B makes 100,000 cars per year and 700 of those cars end up needing to be recalled. Which company has higher quality?

And no, murder rates are not like your billionaire example because you only described one characteristic (analogous to say, a city's population). We're talking about another characteristic in relation to the first. So, with billionaires, you could have suggested say, how much they pay in taxes. Let's say you're the guy with $1 billion. The IRS calls and says both you and the $2 billion guy need to pay $500 million in taxes (you're friends, so he told you he got a similar phone call). Most would think it's unfair and/or a mistake since you have to give half of your money, while he only has to give a quarter. However, you strangely agree with the IRS (much to their delight) that it's not a mistake or a disproportional amount since you're both going to pay the same thing and that sounds fair to you.

(Message edited by GreatLakes on September 25, 2007)

Buddyinrichmond
Username: Buddyinrichmond

Post Number: 237
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Groupies with valid rebuttals that you refuse to engage, as it were.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1693
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He was NOT pointing out that murders are far less common in middle class neighborhoods, and so he was NOT mocked for that reason. He was trying to show that the high number of murders in Detroit are just (in his own words) "an example of typical big city urban America on a weekend," using much larger cities then Detroit such as Chicago (2.8 million, more than triple Detroit's pop.), LA (3.8 million, >4.4x Detroit), and even Philadelphia (1.4 million. >1.6x Detroit) to compare.

What was wrong with his comparison? Detroit and Philadelphia are the core cities of metropolitans with comparably sized populations. Thus, no surprise that the raw count of crimes is similar.

The difference between Detroit and Philly is that the population in Detroit is more tilted to the suburbs than it is in Philly.

If you want to be picky about it, then choose neighborhoods in Detroit with comparable demographics to it's Philly, Chicago, New York, D.C. counterparts. Or better yet, choose neighborhoods in the city with comparable demographics to their suburban counterparts and then do the analysis.

That should be an interesting discussion.

Raggedclaws
Username: Raggedclaws

Post Number: 57
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Supersport: I think the lack of love for you and your argument is this - many of us know you to be a flip-flopper (tee-hee). While judging others for not having enough compassion you are snarking about the possibility of unleashing the Dobs on the crack heads "over there" (remember that post ?).

While arguing that Detroit is NOT in fact a dying city with a major crime problem you are open about the fact you don't really go anywhere without a firearm.

For many forumers you lack credibility and sincerity. And as a relatively new Detroit resident (having grown up in the sticks) you can only relate to the here & now - to understand Detroit is to have lived its past. Get it ?

Michigan
Username: Michigan

Post Number: 1206
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, he doesn't

Drm

Post Number: 1148
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Using your thinking, from my previous high school example, high school A which has a college matriculation rate of 30/100 is not worse than B which has a rate of 98/100 because they both have the same number of kids matriculating to college, even though they started with different student populations.

No, that has nothing to do with what I said. This is a more accurate representation of what I said:

If High School A had a matriculation rate of 5/100 and High School B had a matriculation rate of 10/100, one might say that High School B was twice as good as High School A. I would say that the difference isn't relevant because they are both terrible.

quote:

And no, murder rates are not like your billionaire example because you only described one characteristic (analogous to say, a city's population).

You are missing the point, or perhaps I am not explaining it clearly. I am saying that if one person has a billion dollars, and another person has 2 billion dollars, they are both so rich that it doesn't really matter who is twice as rich as the other. Similarly, given the high rates of murder in US cities, I don't think the comparison of per capita murder rates among those cities is very meaningful because they all have too many murders. To put it another way: who cares whether 500 people are killed in a city with 800,000 people or in a city with 2mm people? Is it ok to have 500 murders so long as they are spread out over more people?

Dds

Post Number: 354
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the world of relevancy, then, what is an acceptable number?

Are you a realist or a possiblist?

Philbert
Username: Philbert

Post Number: 281
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahh, supersport and Chicago.

You added two murders in the way out suburbs to that total of 7 for Chicago.

It is actually 5 for the weekend vs. 10(the thread starter stat) for a city one third the size.

I think your best comment about Chicago was when you were in bar in Chicago, half of Detroit visits or lives here it seems,and some guy told you that just about everyone has been a victim of a violant crime in Chicago and you believed it. Come on lets get real here. What is your fascination with Chicago and its crime rate?

quote by supersport

"The only way to honestly compare apples to apples would be to forget about lines drawn, borders between cities, and take a realistic sample. Most every top 10 city posts larger land mass than Detroit. Covering a larger area, you'll get a wider range of crimes stats, more nice areas, safer areas, and wealthier areas."

One thing, yes, Chicago has 100 more square miles than Detroit but it has over 2 million more people than Detroit. 13,000 people a square mile.

Wayne County has 3357 square miles vs 234 square miles for Chicago. The City of Chicago has a lower murder rate than Wayne County. Wayne County is well over half suburban while Chicago is not suburban at all in comparison.

Drm

Post Number: 1149
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

In the world of relevancy, then, what is an acceptable number?

quote:

Are you a realist or a possiblist?

"The laws of nature are laws according to which everything does happen; the laws of morality are laws according to which everything ought to happen; they allow for conditions under which what ought to happen doesn’t happen."
-Immanuel Kant

Dds

Post Number: 357
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"What is, is what should be"
--Nietzsche

"What is, sucks."
--Dds

Dds

Post Number: 358
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The the way:

Is that a per capita, or total number, or some other type of ratio?

Drm

Post Number: 1150
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Is that a per capita, or total number, or some other type of ratio?

It's pi rounded up to the nearest tenth.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4977
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Then that would be 3.1 DRM

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2412
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"What is, is what should be"
--Nietzsche

"What is, is. What was, will be. What will be was, but will be again."

Arnold Horshack

Supersport

Post Number: 11703
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DRM seems to be the only one who does get it. As he stated, what's the difference if it's 500 people here or there? It's still 500 people. Here, it would be 500 people throughout a city where many neighborhoods no longer exist, aside from a house or two on a block. If today you dropped 1.2 million more people into Detroit, building on every vacant lot, occupying every vacant building, your reasoning would say "Oh, 500 murders is ok now, because we now have a comparable dense population. 500 is 500, whichever way you want to look at it.

It just continues to baffle me, year after year, when there are a handful of murders in a narrow time frame how people seem to flip out. Let's face it, none of us really know how many homicides there are until preliminary numbers are announced at the end of the year. So what everybody bases their assumptions on are the news releases. If the media chooses to cover most of the murders that take place, likely because there isn't much else to report on, then all of the sudden it's doomsday. If they go a long period without reporting murders, then people naturally seem to assume that crime must be down.

This is a shining example of just how manipulative the media can be. Disregard this cities size just for a second, I know, for some of you that is impossible to comprehend. Now, simply read the newspapers online from other major cities, again, disregarding their size. You will find that the same types of crimes happen, sometimes with multiple homicides over a short period of time. Yet here, for whatever reason, people think crime is on the rise, when in fact both shootings and homicides have been drastically reduced thus far this year.

DRM and I have talked about this very topic many times over the years, as has ErikD and others. It is unacceptable how many homicides take place, but it's not a Detroit problem, it's a nationwide problem, an urban problem, a low income/poverty problem, and unemployment problem. I personally find it shocking that the homicides are down as much as they are, considering this states economic crisis we are going through. I would have guessed this to be the highest homicide total in years if I were to have guessed.

Now, allow dimwitted duo to respond and offer their opinions, and tell me how wrong I am. If it's good, perhaps you can cut-n-paste it to that other site so everybody can sit around in a big circle jerk and laugh about it. Oh yeah, that is a shout out too isn't it? Make sure somebody documents it, because ya just wouldn't be cool if ya missed a shout out.

Dds

Post Number: 359
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Let's face it, none of us really know how many homicides there are until preliminary numbers are announced at the end of the year.

quote:

Yet here, for whatever reason, people think crime is on the rise, when in fact both shootings and homicides have been drastically reduced thus far this year.

Why should anyone respond when you can't even agree with yourself in the same post?

Monahan568
Username: Monahan568

Post Number: 225
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok people yes detroit sucks there is crime and murder but i am one of the few people that is willing to accept this fact. however there are a lot of people of this site that feel it is going to change well i got news for ya it's not. thats why so many people left in the 60's and 70's nad that is while people are still leaving to day. so i am sorry that you got caught up in the XL hype and wanted to be different and smoking american spirits and drinking red stripe wasn't doing it so you bought a loft and now consider yourself cool and urban. now you take it upon yourself to defend all the fucked up things that happen in the city because you have just realized that you will never get your money out of that stupid loft unless you strike a match. so please for my sake for the sake of everybody else suck it up.

(Message edited by monahan568 on September 25, 2007)

Yooper
Username: Yooper

Post Number: 87
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you build any of those lofts, Monahan?

Ffdfd
Username: Ffdfd

Post Number: 194
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yikes.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070925/METRO/709250377/1003

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 426
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

obviously, the FBI hasn't heard about a little city we like to call "Chicago."

Dds

Post Number: 360
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or the 1.2 million law-abiding people we are air-lifting in to make us say, "500? Meh. Whatever."

Supersport

Post Number: 11704
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

obviously, the FBI hasn't heard about a little city we like to call "Chicago."

Chicago doesn't submit their statistics to the FBI, as they are apparently special.

Philbert

Post Number: 282
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

year after year we go through this. And I shall explain again. Why are you so obsessed with Chicago?

All of Chicago's statistics are reported to the FBI.

As I have in the past for you several times I shall post this again this is from crime ranking surveys. These surveys get their info from the FBI.

"However, to see how Chicago might fare in our rankings, we calculated a separate, internal ranking that took rape out of the formula. Under this scenario, Chicago came in as the 52nd most dangerous city."

The state of Illinois measures rapes as not just female rapes. That is the only thing that is different from other states. Nothing to do with Chicago.

52nd 52nd 52nd 52nd is Chicago's ranking Supersport. Not number 1 or 10 but it is 52nd.

But alas like you view Detroit suburbinates on their crusade against Detroit that is how I view you about Chicago.

Why are you on some crusade to show incorrectly how Chicago is one of the most dangerous cities in the country when actually it is ranked 52nd. Why I don't know.

That Detroit news article is wrong, it is not per 1000 but 100,000.

Chicago's homicide rate is about 15.5 per 100,000 not 40 plus like whose city? Compare that please.

Dds

Post Number: 361
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Chicago doesn't submit their statistics to the FBI, as they are apparently special.

They do.

FBI 2006 table (with disclaimers about data collection)

Philbert

Post Number: 283
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^It doesn't matter, year after year all the time he will post the same thing about Chicago. So strange.

Would love to hear an explanation from Supersport himself about his Chicago obsession thing and his falsifying data and facts continually.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1613
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

chicago seems a hell of a lot nicer than detroit to me

Ffdfd

Post Number: 196
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Detroit News graphic has a typo. The stat is murders per 100,000 residents (not 1,000).

The numbers I've seen for Chicago:

2006 population: 2,873,790
2006 murders: 452

So, murders per 100,000 residents: 15.7

Chicago wouldn't make the list even if it did report stats to the FBI.

(Message edited by ffdfd on September 25, 2007)

Ffdfd

Post Number: 197
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't see the dentist's link before I posted. I was busy working on my math and befuddled until I figured out the DNews typo. Here are Chicago's stats based on Dds' link:

2006 population: 2,857,796
2006 murders: 468

Murders per 100,000 residents: 16.4

Dds

Post Number: 362
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But guys, you're missing the point. If 1.2 million people suddenly appeared in Detroit, the murder rate would stay the same. You guys need a refresher course?

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 374
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, that would depend on who the 1.2 million people were. If they were from groups less likely to commit crimes, then the crime rate would go down. If you dropped 1.2 million elderly people in Detroit, the crime rate would not remain the same. (Though there might be more crimes on defenseless elderly people, so that could partially compensate.)

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 547
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I seen a kid reach through a store window on Woodward at Ferris in Highland Park filling up with bags of chips. This was around 11pm. It looked like the window was broken, and he was able to get his arm around the bars.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.