Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Bo's the Difference between U-M and MSU « Previous Next »
Archive through September 27, 2007Citylover30 09-27-07  3:20 pm
Archive through September 28, 2007Kellyroad30 09-28-07  2:46 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Mccarch
Username: Mccarch

Post Number: 137
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 7:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"When your in the top 20 or 30 schools it's kind of like being in a private club where everyone gets along."

A private club where everyone says: the hell with spelling!

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 816
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have two excellent schools here, actually for 3rd world lets throw in WSU. It amazes me how people can hate an educational institution thats in their own state. All this hate is crazy.
I graduated from UM but spent 1982 as a student at MSU. I loved it their, however Im a proud UM grad.

(Message edited by kenp on September 28, 2007)

Spartacus
Username: Spartacus

Post Number: 243
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see nobody responded to my post regarding national championships since the INCEPTION of the coaches poll. Probably most people didn't believe it. If you want to win a bar bet that's a good one.

Another bar bet winner is what % of UM MSU games did UM win from 1950-1999? Answer 54%. You might start a fight over both of those questions. No UM fan will ever believe you.

I don't begrudge the fact that UM has had great success in football. Really the most impressive thing they've done is be consistent. They've probably had fewer bad seasons then anyone since BO. Still, the smugness is completely unwarranted for many of the reasons cited above.

Mackinaw is Exhibit A for the smug arrogant UM fan. He can barely post without citing some sort of ranking. This is apparently where he derives his validation in life. He tells us his high school is the best in the state and that he is in a "private club" like setting with the likes of Ivy Leaguers (apparently because US News likes UM's graduate programs). He did allow that MSU was "ranked" higher as a party school. I'm sure whatever think-tank came up with the party school rankings did so scientifically. Dude, you need to get a grip.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 2107
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan actually has a lot of excellent schools, it really is a shame that more citizens do not use these vast resources to their advantages.

The National Championship stuff is really exaggerated as Michigan only really has three authenticate poll National Championships (47, 48, 97). If the 11 is really used then Yale has what 24. At most Michigan has 7 and no less than 3. The leader is still Notre Dame with 13 and USC and Alabama close at 11.

That would be like considering Albion College victory of Michigan in the late 1880 as the greatest upset ever, if you counting the early areas of college football.

Soomka1
Username: Soomka1

Post Number: 49
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We can boil these posts down to a few truths.
#1 Michigan dominated the leather helmet era.
#2 The worst U of M homers are people who never went to school there, but are attracted by the football team and by the basketball team's many NIT banners.
#3 The female population of MSU blows U of M's away in every area except maybe future earning power, but most of us can live with that.
#4 U of M draws the kind of students who need to compensate for certain shortcomings. The kind of people who would actually try to lump U of M in with Ivy League schools by referring to a mythical grouping of "the top 20 or 30 schools". Sorry Mackinaw, but I worked for an Ivy League school and they wouldn't consider you a peer. It reminds of of Mark Grace referring to San Diego State as "The Harvard of the West". At least he is kidding.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2658
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you are one bitter motherfucker soomka_ as for um being on par with ivy leagues it is.I have spoken with many people in many disciplines looking to go to um and it is always one of their top 3 choices and the particular programs they are interested in are ranked similarly.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 477
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I worked for an Ivy League school and they wouldn't consider you a peer.

I worked for one for 4 years, consulted at two others; it depends on your field of study.

Soomka1

Post Number: 50
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Citylover, are they all from Michigan? Then is that a surprise? U of M is fine, it just isn't as impressive and important nationally as some of you seem to think. http://colleges.usnews.ranking sandreviews.com/usnews/edu/col lege/rankings/brief/t1natudoc_ brief.php
I have nothing to be bitter about, I graduated from a Pac-10 school. If you look carefully, there are three Pac-10 schools ranked ahead of U of M, plus UCLA is tied with them and USC one spot below them. I think the last two bloodbaths in bowl games should give USC the tiebreaker. Claiming that U of M is almost Harvard is just like saying Cal-Irvine is almost U of M.

(Message edited by soomka1 on September 28, 2007)

Kenp

Post Number: 819
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is starting to get ridiculous. Those PAC 10 guys are so arrogant.

Citylover

Post Number: 2659
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Soomka 1st understand this: none of this means much to me.I simply do not like it when misinformation is tossed about.It is misinformation to imply or say directly that um is over rated or to say that it categorically does not compare to Harvard(your example).

Um music school is on par with any_ I know this because the other top schools are constantly trying to inveigle staff to their institutions; I am sure UM does the same.

I would also think that the same holds true for the medical school and the law school.And as I have said from talking with many people in other less glamorous disciplines their choices including um are always highest on the list

And to answer your question, no they are not from michigan or a good percentage are not.

Soomka1

Post Number: 51
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Citylover quote: "It is misinformation to imply or say directly that um is over rated or to say that it categorically does not compare to Harvard"

It does compare to Harvard. Harvard is ranked #2, Michigan is ranked #25. There is your comparison. I am not implying that U of M is over rated. I am stating a fact. If you think U of M and Harvard are comparable, you are over rating Michigan. Whenever people are reaching, they will pull individual programs out of their hat as examples of superiority. I will admit that MSU people are guilty of that at times, but it is funny to see U of M boosters resorting to that too.

Soomka1

Post Number: 52
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kenp, you went to MSU in 1982? I think I remember a guy in Wilson Hall who always talked about U of M. He never got invited to any parties and would complain to the R.A. when our parties got too loud. Was that you?

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1560
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^lol. That reminds me of when we pissed on and in the door of these guys on our floor in Akers who had a U of M poster on their door and talking big shit the day we lost to Michigan back in '03. I think they transfered the next semester all of the verbal abuse and intimidation they got that weekend probably scared them shitless.

Citylover

Post Number: 2660
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You really are a bitter motherfucker soomka_ I tell you directly that um music school is tops as well as being on par with harvard meaning within 2 or 3 in medicine and law and you come up with crap_ did some one from um steal your girlfriend or something?

Mayor setkou good to see how your education is working for you hopefully you move far away because frankly you sound like a schmuck

Kenp

Post Number: 820
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was at Mcdonnel hall. A few times I locked my door, put my UM flag out the window and blared the Victors as loud as I could. Now that I look back I am suprised I never had a problem. The RA was pissed.
As far as parties go, I didnt miss many. Probably why I got the hell out of there, I was stoned most of the time. I loved MSU, drugs sex and rock & roll.

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1561
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frankly CL I don't give a fuck what you think I sound like. Curious are you a U of M alum or one of those goddamn Walmart Wolverines I despise to no end? Because if you are of the latter then you responses on this topic hold less weight than air.

I drove in Ann Arbor during move in day last month with my big Spartan T-shirt, MSU shorts, my car with Spartan plates, and to top it off some very stylish Green and White airforce ones. I got some glares from the new Michigan students parents, a lot. I couldn’t tell whether it was because of my attire or because their daughters were giving me the eye so I wont say for sure. Not so much from the students themselves other than a snide remark from the move in helper person and my sister. My license plate drew an interesting comment that I wont post here.

Other than that it was uneventful, same thing that happens every time I go to Ann Arbor . I am assuming with a few exceptions, mainly the sporting seasons, nothing really happens to most U of M people when that stroll around the Lansing area, which leads me to believe that most current students of each school care less about each other. Most of the bitterness and the pissing matches comes from alums and just fans, so perhaps the alleged bitterness between the two schools is overrated and/or imagined?

Kenp

Post Number: 821
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with the previous post by major. I have never been in anything but a friendly rivalry with MSU people, except for here. I have a lot of MSU friends, we have gone to MSU home games and UM home games in all sports together. I attended the MSU alumni summer football party in Genesee county as a guest of MSU people. I won the 50/50 drawing and somebody joking yelled out, "he's a Michigan guy". It was all fun. I ended up buying a Izzo autographed basketball.
Everybody arguing go have a beer, its friday.

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 186
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mayor- I'm a State grad and if I saw you walking around with that much MSU gear on (even on game day) I'd make a few snide remarks too! j/k.

Coco Chanel’s advice to women on wearing accessories was to always take one thing off before leaving the house. That advice applies to school gear as well...except in your case, take the last 3 things off before leaving the house.

If you tell us that you also have one of those reversible "pleather" jackets, seriously, we need to talk.

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1563
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah I did it to piss my sister off because she said I wouldn't "dare" do it. So I did.

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 187
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh. Well, in that case, by all means. I believe "pissing off one's sister" abrogates the rule.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3714
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh and there's Spartacus with the immature ad hominem attack so typical of a MSU person upon being told some simple facts. Yes, of course, I'm soulless, and derive meaning from rankings. You could pretty much say everyone at UM is like that. We all fit the caricature of people who are smart but suck at life; we're all artificial and only care about prestige and membership, et cetera.

You just keep up your immature type-casting of us, though. It works well for your simple intellect.

What I type on a thread like this should not help you in the least in knowing what sort of person I am.

Soomka1

Post Number: 53
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spartacus, I think you stung old Mackinaw. Maybe we need to back off of these U of M guys a little. We don't want their teardrops to short out their computers.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3715
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HA!

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 291
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TO ALL - I know where Go Blue lives........anyone interested ???

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 4553
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, the cardinal sin of blogging is to get to personal...dont go there.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1061
Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Absolutely not!~

Let's congratulate GoBlue for having the hutzpah to make this thread up and from a Spartan perspective, celebrate his insight.

Bo is the difference between MSU and UofM! No question.

God Bless Bo.

Now he is dead....and so is UoM Football.

Long live Spartacus!

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 295
Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 1:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To All - I think I will post the photos of Go Blue actually in his MSU cheerleader outfit or wearing his MSU hockey jersey ....... he actually checked the Bo book out from his local public library on N Harrison in East Lansing......Go Blue still hates those Banana Head looking helmets.....and actually has his MA from MSU....

Spartacus
Username: Spartacus

Post Number: 244
Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw-- You have completely mischaracterized my post and I don't appreciate it. I NEVER intended to imply that you were in any way intelligent.

Pythonmaster
Username: Pythonmaster

Post Number: 103
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The man who hid under Monahan's desk after firing Ernie Harwell and did TV ads for Bush is no hero of mine.

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 350
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bowl Games: 38 games 18-20-0 winning % .473

Lilpup,

How come you didn't highlight this little stat. A losing record in bowl games?! If a team has the nerve to call themselves the "leaders and best" perhaps they should win more games when it counts. Also, can a team that has suffered so many defeats to the PAC-10 in Southern California really call themselves "the champions of the West"? Everytime they go out there, they lose.

If you REALLY want to look at Michigan's legacy as a football program, it is basically a history of winning a ton of games against inferior opponents (until App State) so that they qualify for a bowl game. Then going to said bowl game and laying a gigantic egg. There is your legacy. That yellow winged helmet represents the yellow streak running down the back of every Wolverine when they have to leave the friendly confines of the Big House.

Oh, congrats on starting the year 1-4. Nice job playing an ineligible player. Love them forfeits.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.