Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Could We Please Just Stop It!? « Previous Next »
Archive through October 01, 2007Margaret30 10-01-07  11:59 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Margaret
Username: Margaret

Post Number: 186
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(how long will it take Jt1 to charge in here and call me names again? LOL LOL)

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10284
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Margaret - Given the names that you have thrown out towards me it is a little late to take the high road.

I guess it is easier to ignore racism and claim 'reverse bigotry' than acknowledge the past and current issues that we face in society.

Feel free to carry on playing the role of victim.

Jt1

Post Number: 10285
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rise - I understand and agree with what you are saying. The simple fact of the matter is that this forum (that Lowell created to highlight the positive) has been taken over by people that lived here in the past and want to reminisce while also saying how much Detroit sucks, those that live in the suburbs and like to point out how horrible Detroit is and those that are an agenda to preach to the black community.

The forum has gone downhill and it has gone down the more that people that willingly and proudly fled the city/state just to come back and tell everyone how easy it is to fix the problems while ignoreing the past that has contributed to the problems that we currently face and know of all too clearly.

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 806
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lets all stop being so aggressive and pissed at each other!
Communication has turned into full fights, especially about racism.

Chill out and get along in Dtown. Well, at least on this site

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 3199
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boo hoo.

Michigan
Username: Michigan

Post Number: 1240
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit does not need sycophants to succeed.

For a myriad of reasons, Detroit is not as good a place to be as most other cities. Get mad at the whole world if you want, but don't get angry with posters on this site. They are simply reflecting what the market already knows. Given the right circumstances many of them, if not most, would move back.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 955
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vas, I get where you're coming from, but what you're asking is impossible.

Best thing to do is stay away from threads that sound like a fight a'brewin'.

Anything with these words: murder, what's going on?, carjacking, robbery, etc. :-)

Bostonedisonrocks
Username: Bostonedisonrocks

Post Number: 20
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitrise / Jt1 - Bravo --- god forbid anyone tries to be optimistic and focus on the positive. I try regularly to point out the positives of living in my neighborhood - and the negative folks seems to "POUNCE" and say I'm naive, delusional, kidding myself, etc.

For those of you who actually live in the city and like it --- I say -- RISE UP AND CONQUER all "those people".

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5077
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Especially when the majority of the doom sayers do not/ have not lived in the city for years/ decades...

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 3206
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the public safety issue were truly addressed once and for all in Detroit with ongoing, consistent results, people would be rushing to invest and live in the city. There are bargains to be had all over in terms of land and buildings.

The other things that the city lacks would be taken care of as the revenue poured in. CRACK DOWN ON CRIME AND DOORS WILL OPEN PEOPLE.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2832
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I say its a vicious circle. Crime will not go away until poverty is dimished. Poverty will not be dimished until opportunities are available. Opportunities will not be available unless businesses move in. Businesses will not move in with all the crime around.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 2419
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Read this thread and wonder no more why our region continues to decline!

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1682
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Huh!?! Bobj, caring about a city and not wanting people to glorify crime causes decline? You lost me there.

Bobj

Post Number: 2420
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some are caring about the city, most are sniping at each other regarding who "they" is, of course only people who live in the city have valid opinions, etc, etc

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 807
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boston edison does indeed rock and Bobj.

I concur with the islands of perseverance in the storm.

Bobj

Post Number: 2421
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

B-E does rock, I wish more people like you would buy houses there as well as Palmer Park, etc.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1684
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I agree with you Bobj.

Bobj

Post Number: 2422
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There will always be negative stories about any big city, Detroit stories are already sensationalized, so when people here just blow then further out of proportion, it really isn't helping anything.

We used to focus primarily on what is right in Detroit on this forum, not attack each other so much, and debate the issues as adults. I don't know what happened.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 959
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The simple fact of the matter is that this forum (that Lowell created to highlight the positive) has been taken over by people that lived here in the past and want to reminisce while also saying how much Detroit sucks, those that live in the suburbs and like to point out how horrible Detroit is and those that are an agenda to preach to the black community".
------------------
Jt1,

I am one of the people who found DY last year. I have been able to gleen some information on my old neighborhood and my father's party store on Jefferson from this site. I've enjoyed reminiscing with others about the 'old days'so much. This site is wonderful for that.

There are, however, many more issues that people care about, and want to give their opinions on. Old pictures of Hudson's are awesome, but what more can you say? We all seem to have such common memories.

I do feel sad for Lowell if in fact he just wanted positive stuff here and it has morphed to more negative. What to do?

I will personally try to never post a comment on a negative thread as it is not my business because I don't live in Detroit.
Seriously, I will do my best to only add positive comments (and continue to enjoy the food thread). :-)

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4192
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yikes. There's an awful lot of words being put in my mouth in this thread. While I am personally positive and optimistic about Detroit's present and future, I did NOT create this forum to "highlight the positive" or "just wanted postive stuff here".

The purpose of this forum is to discuss and examine all things Detroit, the good, the bad, the ugly, the promising, the humorous - to take a deep and continuing look at Detroit [the entire international metropolitan family of communities that are Detroit] and try to answer some questions -- what went wrong, what went right, how can we solve our problems, where are we going...

As matter of fact, only a small minority of the posts on this forum are negative toward Detroit. The vast majority are neutral, informative or even positive.

Don't believe me? Take my challenge. Go through ~every~ current thread and add up the total posts and those that are negative.

You will discover a very small number, probably less that three per cent are negative. Of that small amount a very large share are attributable to an even smaller number of posters.

For some reason, those small number of negative posts by a small number of posters seem to appear very large in the eyes to another small number of posters.

It is an optical illusion.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4166
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 1:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In case anybody's interested (maybe for those without lives)... Lowell could easily administer the DetroitNo (DN) forum if he chose because he is the administrator of that registered domain. But, he registered the domain to deter any others from using it instead...
quote:

Registrant:
AtDetroit, LLC

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: DETROITNO.COM
Created on: 21-Oct-06
Expires on: 21-Oct-07
Last Updated on:

Administrative Contact:
Boileau, Lowell admin@atdetroit.com
AtDetroit, LLC

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on October 02, 2007)

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 962
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the response, Lowell. Your post was very inclusive of everyone here, and made me feel welcome once more.

I'm glad you cleared it up. Thanks for starting DY for us ALL.

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 4194
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DetroitNO^ is already administered... right here. Click it -> DetroitNO.com and keep it in your Favorites bookmarks.

I believe LY may be the leading poster on the forum. :-)

"The purpose of this forum is to discuss and examine all things Detroit, the good, the bad, the ugly, the promising, the humorous - to take a deep and continuing look at Detroit [the entire international metropolitan family of communities that are Detroit] and try to answer some questions -- what went wrong, what went right, how can we solve our problems, where are we going..."

Jt1

Post Number: 10311
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, I recant my original statement but I have a question Lowell:

I am fine with discussing the negative. It is the "Detroit sucks", "You people are stupid for living there" crowd that offer no discussion that have really hurt this forum.

Jt1

Post Number: 10312
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, I recant my original statement but I have a question Lowell:

I am fine with discussing the negative. It is the "Detroit sucks", "You people are stupid for living there" crowd that offer no discussion that have really hurt this forum.

PS - I know I am guilty of not adding to constructive conversation in many aspects.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2273
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^I think many times you're confusing the "you people are stupid for living there" crowd with the "you people are stupid for tolerating and defending criminal behavior and corrupt government officials" crowd...

Just about everyone here on this board likes Detroit and wants to see it improve...but there are those of us who think that the people who sympathize with carjackers and reelect corrupt government officials are part of the problem and are doing nothing but slowing down Detroit's resurgence

Jt1

Post Number: 10314
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not confusing anything. I am fine with the discussions. I think you represent the prime example of someone that points out the negatives but does so in a realtively (but often condescending and misinformed) productive manner. There is a distinct difference between the two crowds that you mention.

Many of the anti-city crowd don't care to discuss and just spout how much the city sucks, etc.

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 4195
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1, I find such 'bomb-throwing' statements annoying but again, relative to all the posts and participants on this forum, this is voice of a very small minority. Personally, I just brush it aside.

Nonetheless, those voices and attitudes are part of the discussion of Detroit, part of the challenge we face, part of the negative image we need to overcome. Embittered detractors will always be here. Oddly, the fact that they engage in such statements displays a back-handed concern. After all, as the old saying goes, "The opposite of love is not hate; it is indifference."

We have to move forward in spite of it.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 241
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell,

Thank you for your hard work and dedication. It is appreciated more than you know.

If I knew Kwame... I'd tell him to give you and Santa each a key to the city at Thanksgiving! :-)

James

Margaret
Username: Margaret

Post Number: 198
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm with Kathinozarks, Lowell: thank you so much for your welcoming, inclusive responses.

and a much bigger, louder THANKS for starting DY. thanks for your artwork, too, while I'm at it.

and, yes, a key to the city would be perfect!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.