Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Bank of America to move downtown? « Previous Next »
Archive through October 02, 2007Jt130 10-02-07  10:34 am
Archive through October 03, 2007Detroitrise30 10-03-07  12:26 pm
Archive through October 03, 2007Greatlakes30 10-03-07  9:10 pm
Archive through October 04, 2007Gnome30 10-04-07  3:14 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2940
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha, it does! It just needs the Manhattan Express winding through it. A testament to the fact that new buildings always kinda look "fake".

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 135
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

had a little trouble uploading ...

big changes afoot. Seems like the whole city is on the bandwagon.

boa

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2942
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow jjaba must have thrown down some serious money to get naming rights to Ford Field.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2943
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paulc
Username: Paulc

Post Number: 151
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LMFAO! :-) Nice work.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1756
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL @ how she's become such a celebrity from this...

Gnome

Post Number: 136
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LMAO, oh yeah, she's hot, she needs some horns.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10387
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just wish I could see her toes so I could make a decision if they are nice or if the guy that commented was crazy.

I think she mentioned her toes to gloss over the fact that she really has devil hooves.

(Message edited by jt1 on October 04, 2007)

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1757
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On second glance, she does look kind of sinister...

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 3422
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After reading her article, I've decided she's not Satan--just not so intelligent. Maybe that's why she writes for a rag like the Dispatch?

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 2733
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'm trying to picture that BoA tower across from bryant park. I don't think I like the idea of it, too imposing a structure right next to a nicely scaled oasis

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1758
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Who looks up that far anyway?

Gnome

Post Number: 140
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rb336, I'm not too sure what you're talking about.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1491
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who's amy saunders?

RB336 you can visit the architect's website here http://cookplusfox.com/

I have to say I'd usually agree with you, but take a look below. It's merely a "moth" amongst bohe"moths." This makes me kinda sad for Detroit...I don't think we have any buildings as tall as any in these pics.

d

f

a

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 186
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We probably would have had several buildings as tall as the ones in the pics if it wasn't for the Great Depression. The Peak of Downtown's Skyscraper Boom was interrupted by it.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4190
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit's peak was in 1928--a year before the onset of the Great Depression. There were obviously other factors in play then other than the depression.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 261
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Money centers, NY, Chicago stole that distinction.
Detroit was the start of the run on the banks in 02/14/1933. The Fed didn't want to back up Ford's loan to Guardian bank and Detroit Bankers Co.
This was the massive start of the run on banks Fed. Reserve was to anal retentive to back up the deposits in the banks! Well we showed them.
So here we are, gone full circle almost.

(Message edited by lefty2 on October 04, 2007)

Detroitrise

Post Number: 187
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Detroit's peak was in 1928--a year before the onset of the Great Depression. There were obviously other factors in play then other than the depression."

Not true, because Book Tower, the Fisher Building Project (2 or 3 additional towers), and other larger skyscrapers were planned to be built after the Depression surprised everyone.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 188
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

About time Detroit finally did recover (after World War II), people were investing more into the Suburban life than anything.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4191
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 1:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I read somewhere? that the other tower and building construction was halted prior to Great Depression,usually attributed to beginning on Black Tuesday October 29,1929. Somehow, supposedly the money was already tight before the first tower was done around November 1928. So, the construction of the other buildings was halted about a year before the stock-market crash.

The Great Depression then effectively killed that halted project for good. Maybe, somebody knowledgeable of Detroit's economy may chime in. For example, there was at least one local recession that killed the Rickenbacker Motor Company on Cabot Street in 1925.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1761
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 8:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This makes me kinda sad for Detroit...I don't think we have any buildings as tall as any in these pics.

Actually, the Ren Cen is as tall or taller than most buildings in that area. But other than that... Yeah.

Money centers, NY, Chicago stole that distinction.

Wasn't there a mayor or governor or something who was against putting an exchange in Michigan?

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 221
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

love the Amy Saunders references... I was falling out of my chair laughing.

PS - Bank of America should do a little something like this downtown. That's the new Signature Tower in Nashville. HOTT

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 417
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, those pictures of the new BofA look a lot like Downtown Troy. I think I even see the Monarch and the Citgo Station in there.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1766
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PS - Bank of America should do a little something like this downtown. That's the new Signature Tower in Nashville. HOTT

Looks a bit... phallus-like, lol.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4203
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 7:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, this now is the featured Move to Detroit thread on DY for the fall--after the QL mega-thread fizzled? Let's get those cards and letters coming in, folks, and pump up your post/thread counters in the process. And Lowell will like the added activity as it's good for business, and that's good.

Be advised that banks are rather conservative and will drop excess personnel whenever their usefulness runs out, especially when banks merge or take over others. Banks are notorious at downsizing. They invented the concept.

Gnome

Post Number: 150
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 8:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LY-
I think most folks realize that this "wishing" is just like Fantasy Football, but with buildings.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 269
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

gnome, a little obsessed with amy? a lot of time spent there....

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5472
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LY probably never had SimCity (or LEGO for that matter)...

So his fantasies lie elsewhere... :-)

Gnome

Post Number: 152
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lefty2-
Oh, I think the whole Amy and the BOA things are funny, so I tried to inject a bit of mirth into the threads.

Also, I did write Amy, and yes she did write back. She is montoring DY so my picture posts are really aimed at her and hoping she doesn't mind having her leg pulled a tad.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4212
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

LY probably never had SimCity (or LEGO for that matter)...

Actually, I first mentioned a couple years back that many of the DY pipe dreamers were into RPG--SimCity--especially those who never seem to get their train sets for Christmas and would prefer that the strapped taxpayers supply bigger versions for them to play with.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.