Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Do you pack heat in the city? « Previous Next »
Archive through October 07, 2007Eric_c30 10-07-07  1:48 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Detroits_own
Username: Detroits_own

Post Number: 65
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2056
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now, here's my theory on that.......

Barney

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 195
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I actually live in Detroit and DO NOT PACK HEAT.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 502
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My motto is, if you live by the sword, you............

so never.

<313>

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1935
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No. Although I have no problem with other people having CCW's and not backing down when threatened.

Unclefrank
Username: Unclefrank

Post Number: 101
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those of you Sheep who think Law Enforcement will protect you

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20071007/NEW S07/71007012

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 70
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trust everyone but cut the cards yourself. We left Motown more than 25 years ago and the heat was always close at hand. If I venture back to the city insurance is close as hand. Better to need it and not have it than need it and not have. I was very familiar with the neighborhoods of Detroit. Always pack and never tell.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2676
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whoever said Saginaw is much more violent than Detroit is a liar.It isn't.If it were we would know about it.Saginaw is an urban city and I am sure it has it's share of trouble but worse than Detroit? Nope, sorry them just aint the facts.

I would not live anywhere where I need a gun.I support anyone that lives in Detroit with or without a gun. It is your right to live where you want to.

But please can we dismiss with the bullshitting? No one is buying it.No one believes that you are as likely to encounter trouble in Ann Arbor or the suburbs as you are in Detroit because you aren't, you are much more likely to encounter someting in Detroit; the stats make that an unargueable point regardless of any personal experiences.

So live where you want.But stop lieing about how Detroit is the same as everywhere else.It aint the same.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3436
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For what it's worth:

http://saginaw.areaconnect.com /crime/compare.htm?c1=Saginaw& s1=MI&c2=Detroit&s2=MI

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2895
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and Saginaw's numbers got even worse for 2006

Interesting to note that the FBI uniform crime report has been so commonly manipulated and quoted for ranking purposes that they now have a Caution against Ranking notice on their website.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10403
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Whoever said Saginaw is much more violent than Detroit is a liar.It isn't.If it were we would know about it.Saginaw is an urban city and I am sure it has it's share of trouble but worse than Detroit? Nope, sorry them just aint the facts.

2006 crime stats from the FBI.

Violent crimes per 1000 residents.
Detroit: 24.19
Saginaw: 29.85

It is a little unfair to call someone a liar unless you are willing to back it up with facts. The fact is the violent crime rate in Saginaw is higher than Detroit.

I think that you may someone an apology for calling them a liar.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1058
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

2006 crime stats from the FBI.

Violent crimes per 1000 residents.
Detroit: 24.19
Saginaw: 29.85

It is a little unfair to call someone a liar unless you are willing to back it up with facts. The fact is the violent crime rate in Saginaw is higher than Detroit.

can we at least agree that on an order-of-magnitude scale, they're both pretty rough? we all know that crime stats change annually - and 2006 was a particularly bad year for saginaw. we also know that not all crime is reported, especially in bad areas, and compiled crime stats have politically influenced inaccuracies.

i think the original author might have said that saginaw has crime "on par with, or maybe even worse than detroit."

Thecarl

Post Number: 1059
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh, i forgot...this thread is not about detroit vs. saginaw for crime title.

yes - i carry in the city.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 271
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

do you mean Hydro
Paulmcall - hows about you, packin?
i prefer a glock 19

(Message edited by lefty2 on October 07, 2007)

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10404
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

carl - I agree that they both have issues. I do however take exception to someone being called a liar when the facts don't support that claim.

No guns for me.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3438
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Again, for what it's worth (or not), I think this has already been referenced in another thread:

2006 Metro Area Violent Crime Rates

Saginaw ranks 5th. Detroit ranks 33rd but is lumped in with Warren and Livonia. I'll grant a nod to Lilpup's warning about ranking based on this data.

Tigers2005
Username: Tigers2005

Post Number: 142
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My feeling is that if two people both have guns, someone is getting shot. If only one person has a gun and the other gives them what they want, then there is a chance. I'll take those odds.

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 109
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol ray1936, I wish we still had some dpd officers of your magnitude around. If we did we wouldn't need ccws. Seriously all joking aside.

Public_servant
Username: Public_servant

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live off of Davison and Dexter in an area called Russell Woods. Been here since 2000 and have never had a need for a gun. I don't believe that they are necessary.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5117
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lifelong Detroiter lived in various areas East and West and have have never felt the need nor desire to carry a gun...

If you dont make yourself a target, or if you don't put yourself in questionable circumstances your chances of becoming a victim of a crime is minimized greatly...

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 851
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree Stylin. I've been all over this town and I think a gun is more of a harm than a benefit. It will get you into more situations than it will get you out of. Just IMHO.

I recall being in a cop-tavern a few years back, and the wife (who has some law enforcement background) quietly and nervously asked me why so many of the patrons were packing; she was able to detect this from the way their clothes were hanging.

I do know some folks who are in cash-heavy businesses, and many of them do feel safer carrying a weapon, because the nature of their business elevates them as targets. (I'm talking about completely legal, above-board businesses here, like car repair or owning a grocerette.) I don't blame them for that, but for myself, I don't see a need.

Karl_jr

Post Number: 110
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"If you dont make yourself a target, or if you don't put yourself in questionable circumstances your chances of becoming a victim of a crime is minimized greatly..."

So you are telling me when I went to the gas station at 9:30 at night I was doing something unreasonable or questionable??

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5119
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is not to say that crime will not happen ever. As long as you have desperate people then there will be crime. However it is documented that most crimes that occur are crimes of opportunity.

But if one makes themself a 'hard' target as opposed to a soft one (one that is visibly not alert to their surroundings, and looking like a babe in the woods), then most would be criminals will not try you.

One thing that a would be criminal does NOT want to do no matter how callous or hard core he/she is, is draw attention to them selves especially when they are in the middle of committing a crime...

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5022
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lemme ask this: Has anyone ever dropped heat in the city?

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5123
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone ever used HEAT to alleviate muscle pain after playing basketball?

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 590
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used a heat gun to strip paint off old woodwork. It was in Detroit. Does that count?

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1802
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reading this thread makes me nervous... All these wannabe cowboys walkin around the D with penis extensions guns.

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 72
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If a gun was a penis extension why would people carry snub-nose revolvers?

Karl_jr

Post Number: 112
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol snub nose yea thats me! "wannabe cowboys" don't think so, I did my cowboy shit years ago - it didn't involve a ccw. "looking like a babe in the woods" not, I weigh in at 200 lbs @ 5'10" Penis extensions, shit I already used the one God gave me enough to careless about that idea.

For me it's about survival until I can join the ranks of ray1936 and be the hell out of the D.

I pray I never have to use lethal force, but I have faced too many situations in the past 38 years of my wonderful life in the big D to let me know what's best for my situation, I personally think if you can't or don't want to protect yourself that's your option, you live in America. I say 38 years because shit started happening to me in the D when I was 10 in the f'n summer of love 1967, my first fist fight which drew blood at the YAK field lovette and rich. And still hasn't ended, even stayed in this war torn town after my Step Son was shot and killed In the sw side {no the perp didn't have a ccw. just a kmart .22}.

Oh yea I also think the term "heat" is stupid, I carry concealed.

So say what you want I still stand by my decision.
Walk in my shoes and we'll see what your decision is.

Kslice
Username: Kslice

Post Number: 172
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's why I conceal a bat under my coat.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1386
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't carry a gun. If I feel as though I must get rid of someone, I just pick a topic for which I feel some passion, and start talking about it.
Most people back the fuck up, QUICK.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 204
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I sure do carry heat in the city. My good ol' 98.6 follows me everywhere I go.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 278
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i wonder what paulmall is packing?

Thecarl

Post Number: 1070
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how does somebody blast a carjacker when the carjacker has the barrel of a gun pointed right at the victim's head? is that a crazy-ass risk for someone to try to shoot the assailant? i can't imagine that.

Karl_jr

Post Number: 116
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My last post in this crazy-ass thread

"how does somebody blast a carjacker when the carjacker has the barrel of a gun pointed right at the victim's head? is that a crazy-ass risk for someone to try to shoot the assailant? i can't imagine that."

You don't if you have an ounce of a brain.

To carry a concealed weapon and use it to judiciously use lethal force to protect yourself means a hell of a lot more than just getting a hand gun and "packing the HEAT"

It means you better know the repercussions of the use of lethal force. If you decide to carry you had better know what is lawful or not.

Do you want to pay for the rest of your life for the upkeep of a criminal or go to jail after you wound a would be robber, asskicker, psychopath etc. after it is decided in court that he did not pose a threat to you, or no longer did because he was retreating and no longer posed a threat to you after they raped your wife, was driving away in your vehicle etc.?

Do you have at least 10K in the bank to support yourself and pay for your lawyer after you make the decision to use lethal force {use your PACKED HEAT}?

Yes I carry concealed, but I also carry at least 50$ wrapped around a matchbook so I can give to some one that might get by my street radar, or if I think that I could survive the encounter just give it to the idiot to just leave me the hell alone, so I don't have to escalate the situation to the use of lethal force.

If you are stupid enough to try to "blast a carjacker when the carjacker has the barrel of a gun pointed right at the head" you haven't an ounce of brain matter and deserve to have them splattered on your passenger seat.

The problem is if you let a carjacker get near you, you just might get blown away any way they don't give a shit about your life.

As Detroitstylin' said "But if one makes themself a 'hard' target as opposed to a soft one (one that is visibly not alert to their surroundings, and looking like a babe in the woods), then most would be criminals will not try you.

There is alot of truth to that and that judgement should be used if you "PACK HEAT" {god i hate that stupid statement} or not.

Pussygirl313
Username: Pussygirl313

Post Number: 39
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shoot first ask questions later.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 247
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I suggest you don't reveal what you do. That is why it is called "concealed carry".

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.