Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: Archives » Wings/Stars « Previous Next »
Archive through May 08, 20087andkelly30 05-08-08  10:02 pm
Archive through May 12, 2008Zitro30 05-12-08  3:39 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 288
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

:-) :-) :-) :-)

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 392
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"They called us names!" Hanson Brothers from Slapshot.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 681
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smogboy,

Say you're sorry or you will have to go to your room without dinner! And no hockey watching for a week, young man!

:-)

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 1220
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just like the butt end by Osgood, we will never know if he meant it!

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 7808
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone explain to me how calling someone "the judge, jury and executioner" even bordering on anything mean spirited? And just because you've been complimentary to my posts means I have to apologize? Again... for what?

I'm sorry you're too thin skinned to being called "the judge, jury and executioner"??

In the meantime, I'll be watching the game tonight and cheering the Wings onward to a victory... hopefully. As far as dinner, I'm thankful for the hearty lunch I had today and that'll last me well into the wee hours (to which I hope the game won't be). :-)

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 450
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Datsyuk scores! Hat trick! Wings win!

I'm so happy right now I am forgiving Smogboy for having offended me even though he isn't sorry, and then even adding "thin skinned" to the mix.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4776
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nine in a row- Wow! Go Wings.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 669
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7andK, I'm glad to see you can be a forgiving man. You make SJS proud :-)

7andkelly

Post Number: 452
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Jc. I am sure you had your special socks on once again for this important game. In watching the Wings' games I find I can't take my eyes off them for a moment, but the Pistons make me a bit nervous. Always have, especially during the Bad Boys era when we spent most of the 1989 playoff season at Humphrey's, and most of the 1990 run scrambling for an alternative after the fire.

Jcole

Post Number: 675
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I must have run across you at one time or another in Romeo. Did you ever drink at The Ugly Mug down the street from Humphrey's?

7andkelly

Post Number: 457
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The name rings a bell. Where exactly is it? Is it still there, and if not, when did it close?

Tried Clancy's once, but Clancy's was no Humphrey's.

20043_stotter

Post Number: 292
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7andkelly, don't be upset with some of the posters here. Especially #### and ####. I'd give the names but that wouldn't be politically correct.
:-) :-) :-)

7andkelly

Post Number: 459
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

20043..., all is well in Hockeytown tonight. I am declaring this a night of Jubilee!

BTW, love the smileys. They never get old.

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 324
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 2:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone noticed how the refereeing has not been an issue this year? I mean, I put myself in the shoes of the Stars every time they take a call, and I say to myself..... that's a call even if it was a wing.

Now is it because we are winning, or is it because we are a very disciplined team and stay out of the box effectively?

Hell of a game for Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Hudler. Great goal for Hudler. Hope he's sparked and ready to go.

On a sad note...... I will be holed up in Delaware as the Wings move closer and/or into the Stanley Cup Finals. My 2-week long work trip is falling dead around where I predict a game 5-6 SCF will take place. My luck, the Pistons will finish it off in the same night. I will spread a little Detroit terror in the state of Delaware while our great teams are winning.

1) Anyone know if the VS. channel is going to be a problem for me out East?

2) Anyone able to accurately predict Stanley Cup Final game dates and times?

Just trying to set myself up in the least bit.

Stupid Work! <--- edit

(Message edited by tkshreve on May 13, 2008)

Jcole

Post Number: 680
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 7:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7andK, Ugly Mug was in the next block north of Humphreys. It's now called Main Street Bar and Grill.
Wasn't Clancy's at the far South end of town?

Thnk2mch

Post Number: 1224
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tkshreve, use the suggestion from Scs100 previously:

quote:

If anyone does not have Versus, there is a way to obtain the TSN feed via computer. Go to justin.tv and click on sports. Look for a channel called richsportsonline. Click on that and there you go.

7andkelly

Post Number: 460
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jc: Yes, Clancy's was around 29 Mile Road, and I think it later changed to Old Stone Bar and Grill, and I think that's closed now too.

Tk: Too bad you have to work. Delaware was actually one of the few places left for which I couldn't drum up any animosity, real or imagined...until now, now that we know they are holding part of our fan base hostage at this critical hour! It's a conspiracy I tell you!

Jcole

Post Number: 684
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7andK, Old Stone is open. I ate there a couple weeks ago. Their food is a little higher end than it used to be, and they serve some game on the menu.
The place has been there forever. First it was Stone Bar, then Carraige Inn, Clancy's and back to Stone Bar.

Tkshreve

Post Number: 325
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for everyone's advice and support. Delaware should be a pretty (ok) time. From what I can tell, VS is a channel out there and I should at least be able to find it at the local taverns. God knows what else I'll find there....

If the Pens and Wings both sweep, will they start the SCF any earlier?

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1694
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, so the debate is....

Is this the best wings team I've ever seen (27 years old)??

I'm starting to believe it is. The way they're playing is absolutely SICK.

Couldn't ask for anything more from anyone. Dats, Hank, Lidstrom, Ozzie, and Johan Franzen??? Wow. Watching McCarty get better and better every game is a real joy. I love it. Chris Chelios is still out there, doing his thing, and doing it well. Draper winning face offs over and over. Holmstrom continuing to do what only he can.

I honestly think this might be the best Wings team I've ever seen, or at least can remember. They're in total, complete control. Nothing has fazed them. Nothing seems to be able to stop them. I'm actually shocked they haven't dropped a game in 9 tries. How do you do that in the SC playoffs??
I just hope that if/when that loss comes, they can remember how to handle it. We've seen them go from some good win streaks to some good losses this season. Lets not see that now.

I will definitely be doin my best to get to the Joe from Chicago for the finals (knocking on wood). Never seen Wing playoff hockey in person. I wanna make it happen this year.

Remember this. It is truly a gem of a team. Hopefully a gem of a year :-)

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1089
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have really been enjoying the Wings playoff run. Tonights game is a win/win for me. If The wings win we advance, if they lose I got tickets for game 5.

Downriviera

Post Number: 401
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While most are amazed at the offensive talent of this
Wings team, and with good reason, I am really impressed by the ability of the teams defense. The smoothness with which the forwards and defensemen move the puck out of the zone under heavy pressure and fore checking is unreal. To pass the puck from the corner to the d man in front of the net is normally a dangerous move, but the wings make it look so easy.

Tkshreve

Post Number: 329
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes sir.

I personally love our tiny pass under pressure from the wings defensive zone corner to a waiting wing in front of our own net. 99% of the time it leads to a controlled and effective breakout. They coined this move 3 or so years ago and still it has not caught on around the league.

This and many other little things make us a big team.

Downriviera

Post Number: 414
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah well, another home game, good for local economy.

Eastsiderules
Username: Eastsiderules

Post Number: 85
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 1:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bettman needs the game on NBC to make money. Thanks refs!

Smogboy

Post Number: 7820
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 1:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's awfully easy to start pointing to conspiracy theories here about how Mike Ilitch would love to have another money maker in game five or how NBC would love to have another shot, but I'd give some credit to Dallas too. Their backs are against the wall; they had to have this game or it was tee time this weekend. Game five should be a great one to watch- Detroit wants to end it and Dallas wants to fight on one more day.

This is playoff hockey- some of the best sports entertainment out there.

Jrvass

Post Number: 685
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 2:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought I heard tonight that VS is showing game 5, not NBC.

Bah! I'll try CBC first. Their announcers don't get excited about every pass.

20043_stotter

Post Number: 298
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 7:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wings looked slow last night, the lack of energy hurt them. It should be all over in the next game.

Thnk2mch

Post Number: 1230
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree, they looked a little slow.

The game was 2-2 in my eyes.

Tkshreve

Post Number: 330
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awful "makeup" call to keep the wings from leading and kill all momentum. Really never seen anything like this before. Homer was pretty clean on that goal. Not much can be done now, but do the refs owe us one, or is everything even?

Tough to really know what kind of shadow will be lurking over this next game.

Downriviera

Post Number: 423
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I chose CBC over Versus even though the picture on Versus is better with the same feed, must be a Comcast thing. Mike Emrick gets on my nerves, too much information at times. And Eddie Nocheck is as bad a color man as he was a player.

Jrvass

Post Number: 686
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No calls-Bad calls, should be even now.

Jrvass

Post Number: 690
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crap.

Lick-'em on Monday.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5397
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Watch them blow the series.

Tkshreve

Post Number: 342
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

double crap!

Has someone told Dan Cleary that the Wings are in the Conference Finals? Hope he finds his game soon, because without him and Franzen, we have a serious gap in our offensive lines.

Good game for Drake and Kronwall again. Also good to see Hudler producing.

Thnk2mch

Post Number: 1237
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

O boy.

If I didn't know better, I'd say it looked on purpose.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3139
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know what happened to the HDTV telecast on NBC, but for the whole 2nd period there were no commentators, just crowd noise and the sound of the puck hitting sticks and players hitting the boards. It was beautiful. May have been my local server (cox cable), and not the 'net.

Then, between periods, someone plugged in the microphones again. Drat.

Thnk2mch

Post Number: 1240
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lucky you!

On my end, there was just this big "sucking" sound.

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 427
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3-zip Red Wings over Stars in the 1st period!!

Draper-Datsyuk-Drake: Detroit

Smogboy

Post Number: 7865
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah yes, another night of listening to the CBC play-by-play announcer accentuate Feeeel-poo-LA and Leeeeel-ya. I do miss Ken & Mickey making the call on TV but it's still a Wings victory.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.