Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: Archives » Wings/Penguins « Previous Next »
Archive through May 23, 2008Tkshreve30 05-23-08  12:02 am
Archive through May 27, 20087andkelly30 05-27-08  8:41 am
Archive through June 01, 2008Jrvass30 06-01-08  1:09 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 542
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How could I forget Vernon? Well, I'm a little slow on Sunday mornings, especially after a big win.

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 1089
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After that 5 on 3, Hank has to be the favourite for the Conn Smythe.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 8003
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd have to say Zetterberg's the inside favorite right now for the Conn Smyth based upon his point production and the defensive gems, he's been serving up BUT there's still another (and hopefully last) game to be played. I'd like to see him shut down Crosby one more time, score a few more and walk away with the trophy. But then Osgood might need to stand tall in this game and take the trophy as well. I wouldn't say it's a lock for any of these two guys just yet- the likes of Datsyuk & Lidstrom still need to be taken into consideration as well.

This trophy is nice but it's still not as nice as the biggie.

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 381
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Conn Smythe - If Ozzie shuts out the Pens tonight, then he might have the trophy in his hands at the end of the game. C'mon.... three shut outs in a 5 game series? But Hank has been pretty darn good the entire playoffs. Datsyuk will be an outside contender, and heavy consideration will be put on him also. I don't think they can give it to Franzen due to his absence, but had he maintained his attendance, whether he continued to post ridiculously high points or not, he would have been a serious contender. Unfortunately, I still think his absence brought him back to earth. First in goals (Z is 2nd), but T6th in points (Z is 2nd).

I guess I will find out tonight..... at the Joe!

That's right baby, me and a friend got tix before game 3, which actually made them affordable. Seeing some of the prices, I can't believe I got in for so cheap. They really weren't that cheap either. :-)

GO WINGS!

Upinottawa

Post Number: 1091
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course, if the Wings win then Lidstrom will make history: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey /2008/06/02/lidstrom_history/

Downriviera

Post Number: 549
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I want the Wings to win the cup, but if they win tonight that means no more hockey. It would be great if they could win it in game 7, but I doubt the Pens can win any more games.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 715
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's all Downriviera's fault! :-)

I'll be happy with hockey with the cup and the local ice arena.

Craigd
Username: Craigd

Post Number: 4693
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 7:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, I'm tired. Fleury (sp) played his heart out. What a barrage of shots and he stopped 55 out of 58. Wings dominated overtime, but couldn't get a goal. The goal on Ozzie looked easy.

Downriviera

Post Number: 551
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a saying, be careful what you wish for. I should have heeded this. It has to be my fault, how else can you take 58 shots and lose? The hockey gods are having there way with me now. Ok, I can't take it anymore, lets end it in six.

Smogboy

Post Number: 8024
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't wear it that heavy Downriviera. Look at the positives though. The Pens couldn't compete with us at even strength- it took a pulled goalie and a power play to beat us. Our lads showed toughness throughout and will still pull through. Beg forgiveness from the divine hockey gods and let's win it in six.

Kennyd
Username: Kennyd

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the game 5 overtime, it must've been midnight when the Joe's music guy played Don't Stop Believin' during a stoppage. Right after the line, Just a city boy... the ref drops the puck. That was the very least of the jerky ref moves made that night.
But the whole arena sang out "born and raised in south Detroit..." I watched on TV and it was loud.
Don't stop believin'

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 980
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kennyd - i caught that part too, funny.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4883
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kennyd, I've heard that in a couple recent games, but that was the loudest. The atmosphere had to be the best ever in the Joe (or at least since '97-98). The third period and portions of the overtimes were probably about as lively as a hockey arena could be, owing to the amazing storyline of the game and the dizzying pace of play. I would have loved to have been there, in spite of the end result.

I think our Wings are still very confident, and they know how much they outplayed the Pens on Monday (and how most of the Pens chances-- especially the first two goals) were a result of our mistakes. I see us making fewer mistakes and playing a similar-tempo game tonight, which would probably mean a definite win, but Fleury is really up to the task now and the Pens will also play an amazing game. This will be a battle royale, and if it goes to OT again it will be a matter of who has more guts and who gets lucky bounces.

A game 7 would not surprise me, but it definitely won't happen because we play poorly (or because of Ozzie-- don't even go there).

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 713
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think when it comes to toughness...my hat goes off to Ryan Malone...m'f'in guy took a slapshot to his face...most likely broke his nose...and returned to play!

You wouldn't see a baseball player getting hit in the face with a ball...or a basketball player...

Thats why hockey is amazing

Downriviera

Post Number: 570
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobby Baun scored the game winner in OT for Toronto years ago after he broke his ankle earlier in the game. You're right, hockey players are tough.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 1104
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hockey players have always had less security than other pro players. A lot of that toughness was self preservation.
When Baun played there were only six teams. The players got paid peanuts. Winning that cup meant a big money day and remember goalies didn't wear masks
and most players didn't have helmets.
You also didn't have contracts for more than a year or so either. Bobby Hull also had a band aid put on a broken nose during a cup game against the Wings in the early 60's and he was a star.
That stuff doesn't happen much anymore.
Guys want to protect their careers so most aren't
going to risk it.

Upinottawa

Post Number: 1093
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting ESPN story about one of the referees in the Wings/Penguins series:

http://www.canada.com/windsors tar/news/story.html?id=0e01c97 c-2a48-4d61-b42d-1f254cf94372

The referee is Dan O'Halloran of Essex, Ontario (which savvy DY'ers know is a 25 minute drive from the Ambassador Bridge).

One interesting tidbit is that he was once shot in Detroit.

Downriviera

Post Number: 573
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If he calls another goalie interference on us he risks being shot again.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4891
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a strange incident.

Whelp, Go Wings! Here we go.

Smogboy

Post Number: 8032
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GAME ON!

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4892
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We're champs again. That was awesome.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 1735
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amazing! I'm glad they won it tonight - my ticker couldn't have taken another game!

We're #1, We're #1!

Smogboy

Post Number: 8034
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm still hoarse from all of the screaming. Amazing. It was absolutely amazing.

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 1276
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a great series!

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 874
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 12:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I loved seeing Fleury score us a goal with his ass!

Congrats Wings!! Great job all around! Thanks for a great season and for bringing the cup back to Detroit.

Smogboy

Post Number: 8036
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 1:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was the game winner a classic goal? Was it a rip from the point? Was it full of dekes and moves before it slid across the line?

Heck, the puck barely crossed the line but in hockey (unlike figure skating), points are awarded not on style but content. The game winner was by no means pretty but thank goodness that referee was right on top of things, didn't blow the whistle and let things progress.

I'm still winded by all of the excitement.

Craigd

Post Number: 4716
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 6:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stanley is back where she belongs!

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 963
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 8:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is no better playoffs then the NHL playoffs...

Are we a dynasty?

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 701
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm so happy (and relieved) we won. As a fan I feel like I've been through a war:-)

This Red Wings team may very well be the best one I've ever seen (and I go back a ways). Superior skill, poise, balance, goal tending, coaching...

When you've got Hasek on the bench and Chelios as a healthy scratch, you know you're looking at a team with talent and depth.

Zetterberg, Datzuk, Babcock...all vindicated!

Franzen, Hudler, Lebda...rising stars!

Rafalski, Stuart...more of Holland's masterful work!

Congratulations to the Detroit Red Wings, 2008 Stanley Cup Winners!

GO WINGS!

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6931
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hockeytown is on top again! Congrats Wings!

Downriviera

Post Number: 574
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A shout out to all my fellow Wings fans who suffered through the dark years, when the team rarely made the playoffs, yet we were at the games when it was not the place to be. I can remember games when the Wings couldn't make two passes in row. Now they look like they have it on a string at times. Enjoy the parade.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6934
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

when the Wings couldn't make two passes in row

Or when every single shot was from the blue line.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 523
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very classy move of the Ilitches to have a party at the airport last night to welcome the players back. It allowed all the Wings staff a chance to celebrate with the players after the Wings failed to win at home.

Craigd

Post Number: 4804
Posted on Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 6:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice to see Michigan number one for something other than unemployment rates and housing foreclosures.

14509glenfield
Username: 14509glenfield

Post Number: 1695
Posted on Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wednesday night about 7:21 PM a major severe storm came thru my area. Recently, classified as an EF-1 tornado. Home is okay, but lost some tree tops and two completely uprooted trees.........AND POWER until 5 PM Thursday.

Missed the entire game, pissed about damage/costs, but..........but........but sure enjoyed the SQUIRT into and the SLIDE as the game ended. Ya-ba-daba-doo!

Craigd

Post Number: 4830
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 8:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.realclearsports.com /video_log/2008/06/detroit_rep orter_calls_pittsbu.html

Smogboy

Post Number: 8162
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 1:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PennGOV.jpg

Ahh yes, the Pennsylvania governor having to settle the bet.

Lovely. Just lovely.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 760
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 3:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahh, it seems like whenever a butterfly farts, I lose power.

Lost it yesterday... Clear blue sky. I had to reset all the clocks.

James

(Message edited by JRVASS on June 17, 2008)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.