Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » :::Tiger Stadium: Memories, Demolition & Saving Part of It::: » Photos of the Tiger Stadium Demolition « Previous Next »
Archive through July 22, 2008Rhymeswithrawk30 07-22-08  12:33 am
Tiger Stadium demolition photosMortalman08-26-08  9:30 pm
Archive through August 19, 2008401don30 08-19-08  12:43 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitrockcity
Username: Detroitrockcity

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can someone post an ariel photo and draw lines where they demolition will stop exactly. Are they done with demo on the western side?

Liberal_democrat
Username: Liberal_democrat

Post Number: 195
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This should help a little. Its an animated GIF I made with Navin Field superimposed on one of FlybyDon's photos. Its lined up as closely as I could get it.

They're saving the Navin portion... hopefully.

In other words: everything Frank Navin built is supposed to be saved, but everything Walter Briggs built is to be demolished.

http://i47.photobucket.com/alb ums/f177/detoth67/Navin-TigerS tad.gif

(Message edited by liberal_democrat on August 19, 2008)

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 730
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe they are only trying to save the lower deck portion of the Navin Field rendering, which would be 3000 seats.

Liberal_democrat

Post Number: 196
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everything I've seen is for a complete save of upper and lower deck. If you look at the conservancy site, there are renderings of their plan.

Tigersfan9
Username: Tigersfan9

Post Number: 172
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I met with the DEGC during the process of the city seeking demolition contracts, the plans were clear that the lower deck was to be saved, and perhaps a few rows of the upper deck. The third deck/press box, and all of the beams that support it, were to be removed. They are planning to save the radio/tv booth on the facing of the second deck.

Flybydon
Username: Flybydon

Post Number: 243
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tiger Stadium Demolition as of August 19, 2008

Click the link to see
http://www.aerialpics.com/G/TigerStadiumDemo.html

Liberal_democrat

Post Number: 236
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just talked with a friend who is close with the conservancy and has attended all meetings and council discussions:

The plan is to save everything Navin built (1st to third-including the upper deck) and demolish everything from Briggs-on.

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 293
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It looks like it would be tricky to remove the upper decks without extensive damage to the lower deck in the part that is to be saved.

Tigersfan9
Username: Tigersfan9

Post Number: 173
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I looked again at the plan, which I'd upload if it weren't 64 MB. The plan for the upper deck in the area between the dugouts is to remove all seating (new seats will eventually be installed), and to remove all the seating tiers and structures above a certain row (it looks like row 14). The risers and structure from the cutoff point and below will remain, including the radio booth; everything above will be removed, including the roof, according to the drawings I'm looking at.

Border5150
Username: Border5150

Post Number: 220
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow! More great pics Don! Hard to believe its already half-gone.

Methinks this will be like a typical Detroit demo and in tearing down the upper deck, they'll end up taking out one of the dugouts and then decide to raze the whole thing - essentially putting th kibosh on any plans for preserving any part of the stadium.

Didn't something like that already happen in right center field?

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1431
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trumbull is closed again. If anyone is interested in shooting video or photos, I asked a demo guy whether the other RF light tower was to come down tonight, and he said probably. So if you want to document it, I'd head up there by 8 or 8:30.

401don

Post Number: 733
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It looks like the point where the demo stopped on the 3rd base line would be the Navin portion that is to remain. Here's hoping.

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 99
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don, the demo is supposed to go from dugout to dugout, up to sections 215, to 225. Seating chart below.

The stadium groups's proposal is below.

Catman_dude

Post Number: 294
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^I guess opposite home plate would be condos, office buildings, etc. where the left, center, and right fields' seats used to be? Those would form the border of the outfield.

It appears that the 1st and 2nd decks are to be saved then they will be partially enclosed leaving part of the stands open for use. It would be neat if part of the enclosed stands were left intact to use for a indoor theater for showing Tiger film footage.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 878
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I took this tonight, 08/23/08:

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2778
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 1:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the rendering, what would be behind the enclosed areas?

Catman_dude

Post Number: 296
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The plan for the site, including what is in the enclosed part is:

"The Conservancy’s central goal for the site involves the preservation of the field, home to the Detroit Tigers from 1896 through 1999, as a public park for recreational and cultural programs, primarily youth and amateur baseball. We are also working to preserve a significant portion of the stadium for various uses, including a banquet hall, museum exhibits, and office space."

You can see further details at: http://www.savetigerstadium.or g/the_plan.pdf

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 651
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The grass is still getting cut in the City of Detroit"

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1432
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, Leland. That's amazing!

Detroitrockcity

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you've got to be kidding right. They're cutting the F****** grass still? Only in Detroit

Border5150

Post Number: 225
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if this guy is a city employee or if the city threw another juicy contract at Ilitch to "maintain" the field...

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4970
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

August 25, 2008...

Tiger Stadium demolition, detroit

Tiger Stadium demolition, detroit

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4971
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tiger stadium demolition detroit

Catman_dude

Post Number: 297
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if they would have to blowtorch some of this to leave standing just the part that has sections 215 through 225 as stated in the conservatory plans?

Townonenorth

Post Number: 105
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looking at the above photo, it might be more stable if they stop at what appears to be a natural divide in the stadium. Just after the press box.

Flybydon

Post Number: 244
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

August 25, 2008

See more demo photos at: http://www.aerialpics.com/G/TigerStadiumDemo.html

Detroitrockcity

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why are the seats missing in the lower deck in the part that is supposed to stay?

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 555
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 2:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If gas wasen,t so high i,d been down to take some pix. Oh well thanks FLYBYDON

401don

Post Number: 742
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The Natural Divide" where the stands jut out in right field is actually the original location of home plate.
The seats are missing in the lower deck because any seats were removed that could be sold. This was before any firm plan was pending approval to save the stadium.

Townonenorth

Post Number: 108
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the website "ballparktour.com" See below for picture. I'm assuming that that upper deck double girdering is the addition of the upper deck to the existing structure in 1936. The reorientation of the field happened when the new stadium was constructed in 1912 (see below)

Navin Field opened on April 20, 1912, with the legless Charlie Bennett catching the first pitch, a rite that continued until his death in 1927. The new field was rotated 90 degrees to the right and featured a single deck design down both lines and bleacher seats in right field - seating capacity was 23,000. The first game on April 20th saw George Mullin single in Donie Bush in the 11th for a 6-5 win over Cleveland. In the game, Ty Cobb and Sam Crawford pulled a pair of double-steals in the 1st inning, and Cobb later stole home.

In 1924, the stands between first and third base were double-decked with a new press box installed on the roof (below left). The next year, an elevator was installed to the press box - the first of its kind in the big leagues. After the Tigers had won two pennants and a World Series, they invested their money into park improvements in 1936. The right-field pavilion and center-field bleachers were double-decked which raised capacity to nearly 40,000. After the Tigers won the pennant in 1934, Navin built a 17,000-seat bleacher section along the left field wall just in time for the World Series. During one game in the series, which the Tigers lost, fans in the new bleachers pelted St. Louis Cardinal outfielder Joe "Ducky" Medwick with fruit, vegetables and even their shoes. Medwick was forced from the game for his own safety by commissioner Landis. Navin kept the bleachers, but the baseball commissioner ordered him to put up a screen between the fans and the field.

Navin Field 1924

(Message edited by townonenorth on August 28, 2008)

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 899
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 1:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

flybydon, every time i see your pics, i want to cry, but thanks.

Flybydon

Post Number: 248
Posted on Monday, September 08, 2008 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

September, 08, 2008

See the latest demolition images at: http://www.aerialpics.com/G/TigerStadiumDemo.html

401don

Post Number: 759
Posted on Monday, September 08, 2008 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great shots again, Flyby. You should contact Sports Illustrated, The Sporting News or USA Today Sports Weekly to see if they are interested.

Treinman
Username: Treinman

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, are they going to take down that last stripped section with the light tower? Looks like they've stopped.

-- Tim

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1466
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, they haven't been working on it in more than a week. My guess is they're waiting to see if the conservancy meets the fund-raising goal. Deadline was Monday. I think with all the mayor schitt going on, it's kinda been put on the back burner.

Border5150

Post Number: 236
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree rawk. "Kwame-gate" kinda trumps everything else in town right now. But a demo getting "put on the back burner" sounds all too familiar in Detroit.

I am all too confident that the conservancy will not meet their fund raising goal nor will the city proceed any further with the demo.

Just been burned too many times by this town...

Flybydon

Post Number: 250
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

September 20, 2008

http://www.aerialpics.com/G/TigerStadiumDemo.html

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 1419
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow...

Border5150

Post Number: 254
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The conservancy got what they wanted - a Navin Field era Tiger Stadium. I guess its up to the now...

Catman_dude

Post Number: 306
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It appears that what is left to do in the demolition efforts is to shave off the ends in line with the end of the infield along first and third base lines, then the remaining light stands and second-deck roof will come off. The rest will be reinforced for structural support to partially enclose it for offices, Tiger Stadium museum, etc. The part of the stands not enclosed will be painted green (I guess) and the field maintained for baseball games. I guess they'll have movable outfield fences for little league games as I doubt they'll be able to hit a 400+ feet centerfield homerun!

Jmarx
Username: Jmarx

Post Number: 79
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My understand is that the upper deck/roof/lights are staying for now until the conservancy group determines whether they have the funds to preserve both the lower/upper deck. No?

Catman_dude

Post Number: 307
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From my looking at the conservancy groups plans, it appears they want to keep the upper deck stands but take off the roof and lights and build a normal roof and enclose it to a point.

Border5150

Post Number: 262
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Catman: the 440' to centerfield is no longer a problem because the fance is gone!

Border5150

Post Number: 263
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Catman: the 440' to center field is no longer a problem because the fence is gone!

J_stone
Username: J_stone

Post Number: 437
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Question: So by saying the field will be used for Little League, does that mean that the dimensions of the infield will be changed?