Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Old Car Factories » Old Car Factories - 6
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
Top of pageBottom of page

Sven1977
Username: Sven1977

Post Number: 46
Posted From: 209.220.229.254
Posted on Monday, April 04, 2005 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I looked at four Sandborn books on Saturday. One book from 1895 (nor car factories there folks) and another one from 1910. They were great. Two others from 1915 and beyond had updates. The new configuration of the block had been pasted over the old buildings. The nerve! I'm not sure if the microfilms were taken from the original books or from the books where the changes had been made.

Carhartt factory on Jefferson about 1910

The Lozier factory on Mack. Later, Lozier moved to the Warren Motor Car Co. plant on Holden.

Lozier ad copied from "Images of America-Detroit 1900-1930" by Richard Bak.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 1603
Posted From: 24.22.6.155
Posted on Monday, April 04, 2005 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HARRY LOZIER CARS. (1910-1918)

The Lozier was built in a new Albert Kahn factory on Mack Avenue. It was the most expensive car on the market, rival to the Packard.

In 1912, Lozier was replaced by Harry M. Jewett, who also was Pres. of Paige Motors at the time.
Jos. M. Gilbert replaced Jewett in May, 1913.

In Sept., 1918, Lozier was kaput.

There are so many Detroit car stories like that.
Often, the owners had made money elsewhere and thought they could build cars too. It seldom worked out that way.
jjaba

Jjaba

Post Number: 1604
Posted on Monday, April 04, 2005 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are the namesplates of a sample of failed car companies in Detroit, Michigan, and around the area. You can see them now in museums.

Hudson
Packard
Desoto
Plymouth
Edsel
Joy
Wayne
Detroit Electric
Graham
Paige
Hupmobile
Locomobile
Marmon
Maxwell
Chalmers
Oakland
Rickenbacker
Winton
Nash
LaSalle
Essex
Cord
Oldsmobile
Anderson Electric
Blomstrom
Queen
Studebaker
Brush
Baker
Commerical
Dingfelder
E-M-F
Krit Lozier
Reliance
Delux
Rambler

jjaba, Westsider.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 3634
Posted From: 209.216.150.127
Posted on Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 2:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I noticed this building on Woodward, around Watson this past weekend.

Any connection to the Pierce Arrow?

pierce

Jjaba

Post Number: 1607
Posted on Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 2:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The campaign headquarters of Franklin Pierce, an American President.

jjaba, Detroit Historian.

623kraw
Username: 623kraw

Post Number: 580
Posted From: 68.41.224.200
Posted on Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 5:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba heres the caption for the above from the back of the postcard: "PLYMOUTH DIVISION - CHRYSLER CORPORATION - DETROIT, MICHIGAN This modern automobile factory invites you to make a tour of its plant . . . to see the two 1/2 mile long production lines fed by the amazing 25 mile long conveyor system...to watch new Plymouth cars being built right before your eyes. It's a sight you will never forget."

623kraw
Username: 623kraw

Post Number: 581
Posted From: 68.41.224.200
Posted on Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 5:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW, much of Lynch Road is still in use...

Sven1977

Post Number: 47
Posted on Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More factory layouts from the Sanborn Maps.

The Chalmers plant on Jefferson around 1910.

Sven1977

Post Number: 48
Posted on Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An unknown automobile factory on Jefferson at Bellevue around 1910.

The Hupp Yeats Electric factory at the end of Lycaste off of Jefferson around 1910.

The Cadillac Clark Street plant. Notice how new drawings have been pasted over the old layout.

The Timkin plant on Clark near Jefferson. Contrast this with the earlier Studebaker plant on the same piece of land.

Jjaba

Post Number: 1609
Posted on Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More nameplates which didn't survive the 1920s.
With all of these car companies, it is no wonder Detroit grew so fast and became so famous. Until you see all this factory capacity and all these businesses, do you realize how this must have been. Detroit put the WORLD on wheels. It helps us also to understand how Windsor was the manufacturer/market for our cars in the British Empire.

Besides Windsor, ofcourse, Detroit companies made cars in England, France, Ireland, Spain, Australia, South Africa, Palestine, Germany, Belgium, Brazil, Equador, Argentina Mexico, and many other places. Albert Kahn factories in Russia still make cars.

E-M-F each had their car.
Everitt
Metzger
Flanders
Owen
Carnation
Regal
Detroiter

jjaba listed a whole lot more above.

jjaba, on the Westside.

Jjaba

Post Number: 1610
Posted on Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

623kraw, now that Plymouth is history, how is Lynch Road plant used today? Are there tours?

It that dual 1/2 mile assembly line still being used?

jjaba is amazed that at one time, Plymouth made all of those cars in this one Detroit factory.
Talk about 24/7. Does anybody know which model year was THE MOST PRODUCTIVE BY UNITS BUILT THERE?

jjaba

Bate
Username: Bate

Post Number: 30
Posted From: 4.247.134.202
Posted on Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was some talk about subdividing Plymouth Lynch Road Assembly into an industrial park years ago. Would have worked about as-well-as Packard Industrial park... Chrysler still uses the 6700 Lynch Rd. address as a axle mfg. plant > see link 0-5-8793-1-12913-1-0-0-0-0-0-9 1-7155-0-0-0-0-0-0-0%2C00.html ,http://www.daimlerchrysler.co m/dccom/0,,0-5-8793-1-12913-1- 0-0-0-0-0-91-7155-0-0-0-0-0-0- 0,00.html

Bate

Post Number: 31
Posted From: 4.247.230.174
Posted on Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With assets like mikem, sven1977 and aiw, in the air and on the ground, it's hard for us "out of towners" to keep up with the pace of discovery here lately. I think eventually a tour bus rental, and proper look-see, is in order. Judging from the comments here I think we have enough interest.

Sven or Mikem, you made mention of shooting some video while checking out some sites. Could I persuade you into making me a copy? I have some demolition video footage of Buick City and "Chevy in the hole" in Flint you might be interested in.

I made an earlier post regarding building Plymouth Roadrunner Superbirds at Lynch Road, and here is another interesting article from the same site. It really gives great insight into working in the factories- during the 70's- before major automation took over. http://www.wwnboa.org/slaprer. htm

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 1595
Posted From: 12.75.21.206
Posted on Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keep up the good work, fine forumers. This thread ought to be stuck at the top as an example of the best sort. I'm just hanging back, watching and enjoying...
popcorn

Hamtramck_steve
Username: Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 2002
Posted From: 68.41.218.4
Posted on Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Part of the Lynch Road plant is the HQ for the Parade Company, I think. I'll scoot by there tomorrow morning to confirm.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 1351
Posted From: 68.43.13.241
Posted on Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Track! I've been away for a while and need to catch up.

First, E-Z, your first two pics...one is Hudson/Cadillac on Conner and the other that you though might be the Mound Road plant that was demoed, is a former Briggs body plant and is still there at 3675 E Outer Drive at Mt Elliot:

ChryslerEOD

However, next door, the Mound Road Engine Plant is now just a big cement lot. It was taken down last winter and engine production moved to the Mack Avenue Engine Plant, coincidently the former site of a Briggs plant:

MRE
MoundRoadEngine

The sign on the door of the remaining building says "Daimler Chrysler Human Resources Service Center" and there doesn't seem to be any type of manufacturing activity going on anymore. This was originally a Briggs plant supplying bodies to the Plymouth Lynch Road Assembly Plant:

BriggsEOD

Today

Now, a couple of points about your Plymouth-Lynch Road postcard. The front office building shown in the bottom right corner is gone, but it seems to match the style of both the Chrysler/Briggs plant above, and the old Chrysler HQ in HP:

HP HQ

Also, the view is from the northwest looking southeast. In the background, between the tracks, is the Winfield (Street) Foundry, replaced by the Huber Foundry which was built in '62. In this image, Winfield was in the middle where the large cement area is, similar to Mound Rd Engine now, with Eldon Gear & Axle on top, Huber Foundry on the bottom, and Lynch Assembly on the left:

Winfield

Same area back in 1981 with Winfield in the middle:

Winfield'81

Going back to 1961, before Huber Foundry was build on the south side of the complex:

Winfield'61

jjaba, Plymouth Lynch Road is no longer used by Chrysler, excuse me, DCX. However the Eldon Axle Plant to the east is; I believe they now call it Detroit Axle. In my previous post about Lynch, a long time ago, I was quoting the brochure I had that said Plymouth was unique in that it produced all of its models at one factory. That is either incorrect or out-dated, as before WWII, Plymouth opened a factory in Los Angeles, in 1932, to produce autos for west coast distribution. In 1939, Dodge opened a plant in San Leandro near Oakland, and these two plants each built the other's brand for a more even western distribution. The former Graham Brothers (Graham-Paige) truck plant in Evansville was acquired by Dodge (before the Chrysler takeover of Dodge) and in 1935 it was used to assemble Plymouths for southeastern US distribution.

The San Leandro plant was closed in 1955, the Evansville plant in 1959, and the Los Angeles plant in 1971. Of course others were opened in the meantime in Newark, St Louis, and Belvidere. Lynch Road closed in the early eighties and sold, along with the Winfield and Huber foundries, to the city for $10.

Aiw

Post Number: 3639
Posted From: 67.71.67.162
Posted on Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That seemed to be a popular style for Chrysler offices...

Here is the former Windsor office - Canadian HQ - replaced by the office tower on the riverfront. It was demolished in early 2003.

Track75

Post Number: 1597
Posted From: 12.75.19.73
Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sven1977, I have a favor to ask. Would you please email me the photo you took of the Cadillac Clark Street Sanborn Map in full resolution? I used to work there. Thanks a lot.

Lowell/Admin-types: can you break this thread off into a page 6? It's about 4 MB on this page now and it's killing my dial-up. (I know, I'm a dinosaur) Thanks.

Aiw

Post Number: 3643
Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 1:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sven, if you're taking requests... :-)

Could you e-mail me a full size version of this one?

studebaker

Thanks!

Andrew@internationalmetropolis.com

Aiw

Post Number: 3644
Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 1:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also... to note, on the maps, pasting changes on to the older maps was standard practice.

It made revisions much easier. The photos I posted from the Windsor maps were the 1920 maps, updated to 1937.

That's how they did it in the pre-digital age! :-)

Track75

Post Number: 1598
Posted From: 12.75.19.73
Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 1:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, thanks for the quick service on the new page 6!

Mikem

Post Number: 1352
Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 2:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes AIW, and also look at their Missile Plant in Warren.

Sven's black&white Sanborn copies of the Fort-Clark Street area above (p5) are helping to sort things out. I'm working from this 1949 aerial that covers from Fort down to the river, and W Grand Blvd west to near Junction:

Sven's first (and last) B&W is bounded by Clark on the west, Scotten on the east, Oak (practically W Fort) on top and the Wabash Railroad tracks on the south. Timken-Detroit Axle seems to occupy the west side of the block and some Studebaker buildings are on the east side:

Studebaker3?

Not sure how this old sketch of Timken fits the landscape. I assume it shows the intersection of Clark and the railroad tracks in the foreground, looking northeast:

Timken

The next B&W is one block down toward the river, south of the tracks, with W Jefferson on the south side. In the map we see Studebaker Plants 3 & 4. Not sure of the year, but that helps verify that Studebaker was on the east side of Clark at W Jefferson. Nothing left today and not much back in 1949 either:

Studebaker3

The third Sanborn skips a block to the west, with McKinstry on the east and Summit on the west. The block is occupied by the Detroit Copper & Brass mills:

Copper&Brass

Now, across McKinstry is one of the few buildings left in the area. I posted this picture earlier thinking it might be part of the Paige factory that was on McKinstry. On Sven's map it appears to be another mill of Detroit C&B:

Paige?

So where on McKinstry was Paige? Going back north toward Fort, I see this group of buildings between Clark and McKinstry:

Paige

We found a previous account of Paige having several plants around Detroit with the main one on McKinstry, pre-West Warren, Graham-Paige days. Andrew's postcard from page 2 of this thread has been bouncing around in the back of my head, and now I think that it shows the McKinstry Avenue factory, looking southeast from Fort and McKinstry. The layout seems to be the same:

PaigePostcard

Terra-server is down at the moment - I think I broke it - and I can't visualize what's there now. I get this corner mixed up with Fort and Livernois (Ternstedt).

Mikem

Post Number: 1353
Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 3:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sven, you came up with some great finds. I'd like to know more about the Cadillac Motor Co "Body Dept" on W Fort @ 23rd. Any idea what year those black & white maps are? Nice color maps too; I assume you photographed them with a digital camera?

The Chalmers (Chrysler Jefferson) factory is a great find because the map shows it at an early stage of development, before the individual wings were connected. The first buildings were built in 1907-1908 and by 1912 they were connected.

Lozier is also a good find since they didn't move into the plant until February 1910. The map even says, "This plant to be greatly enlarged". Here's the fraction that existed in 1910 outlined on a '49 picture:

Lozier

After Lozier moved out, Motor Products Corp used the plant until the '50s when Briggs, next door, expanded into or over this plant.

AIW, I have a picture of a Pierce-Arrow dealership in San Francisco and it's a much nicer building than the one above, and has "Pierce-Arrow" clearly engraved in the stone. I have a feeling the Pierce Building above isn't related to the auto company.

Aiw

Post Number: 3647
Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 3:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike, I think you may be right about my postcard...

As for the Pierce building, it may not be related, but it caught my eye and I thought I'd throw it up here...

Aiw

Post Number: 3648
Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 6:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back to Piquette Ave...

Here is the Studebaker plant in 1949

Going back to the Fisher's posted earlier by Mike:

Interesting to note that in 1949 there was a walkway between #21 & #23.

Aiw

Post Number: 3650
Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A few more...

Does anyone recognize this one? Photo is from 1917, the building belonged to The Schlieder Manufacturing Co. A google search shows they made Valves for Chevrolet. The left the city and moved to Milford (!) in 1924.

Also from 1917:

Dodge Plant (was this Dodge Main?):

Assembly

Foundry

Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 2003
Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

aiw, I'd have to say, yes that's one of the Dodge Main buildings. Probably the main building, not long after they opened, judging by the car at the curb.

Bate

Post Number: 32
Posted From: 4.247.134.174
Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was digging back through some of my favorite links and found this one on the Ford Highland Park plant. http://www.mtfca.com/books/ff3 .htm
An additional book title (for all you collectors) to look for is "The Matchless A" regarding the building of the Ford Model A, Highland Park and Rouge plants.

Sven1977

Post Number: 49
Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Track, I'll need your e-mail #. AIW, I'll send you the shots in high rez . My computer is down so I am using a co-worker's. I am pretty busy today so give me a day or two to get them scanned.
Somehow, I missed a block in the scans of Jefferson & Clark, but I believe that it was a Timkin group of buildings.

Track75

Post Number: 1599
Posted From: 12.75.21.106
Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Sven1977. Just click on my name to the left (turquoise colored font) and it'll pop up with my email.

I'm in no rush so take your time and do it at your convenience. Thanks again.

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 1411
Posted From: 130.132.177.245
Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thread needs to have some careful loving attention paid to it by Lowell and it would make a fantastic "webisode"!

Keep it coming, this is great stuff ...

Mikem

Post Number: 1354
Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What ARE we going to do with this beast? It's out of control!

AIW, nice work finding that bridge between the Fishers. I see you are on to my ways, although I have a weapon you probably don't have; a high power stereoscope to make it all 3-dimensional.

I'll keep an eye out for the Schlieder Mfg Co although the small ones are tough as they could be anywhere, and I'm sure those windows have been bricked over long ago. I also have some Dodge Main stuff for later.

Bate has some great finds too. That Ford booklet from 1912 is cool. The last page shows five other Ford assembly plants around the world. Ford, and really two of his officers, James Couzens and Norval Hawkins, came up with the branch plant concept. The three other plants in the states were just the beginning of a massive expansion that was being held back by the Selden Patent suit. Once Ford successfully appealed their case in 1911 (ten days after the Highland Park plant opened), they went on to build factories in 29 cities around the country before the start of the depression.

Yesterday, I found this 1939 artist's map and decided to post it since it gives a good view of the relative locations of the major factories around Detroit, especially for out-of-towners.

Whole Enchilada

west

east

north

I see Gar Wood's factory was near Hamtramck. Anyone have a more specific location?

Aiw

Post Number: 3652
Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike you've got me on the Stereoscope... :-)

As for the Schlieder bldg., agree it could be anywehere, and it may be gone, however dating from 1917 I have a huch it may be between the Bldv. & the river.

Sven1977

Post Number: 51
Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MikeM, I'm not sure when the Cadillac map on Jefferson is from but it is probably around 1920. I saw it and thought it looked like something fellow chimney chasers would like.

Picture taken on Lynch Road two weeks ago.

Jjaba

Post Number: 1614
Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Incredible maps and photos. We are learning so much. Amazing, all these factories. If you read jjaba's list of retired nameplates, you realize how many kinds of cars, trucks, and vehicles were made here. Thanks for the sleek post-war Chrysler bldg. shots.
jjaba

Mikem

Post Number: 1357
Posted on Thursday, April 07, 2005 - 1:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Attached is an article written by Wayne State professor Charles Hyde, who also authored many of the historical building studies at the HAER website and the book "Riding the Roller Coaster, A History of the Chrysler Corporation". The article, "Dodge Main and the Detroit Automobile Industry, 1910-1980" was written for the Spring 1982 edition of the historical journal "Detroit In Perspective". Certainly not for sale anymore, and probably hard to find outside of a southeastern Michigan library, I thought I'd make it available here. It has lots of detail on the numerous buildings at the complex through the years, some brief biographical info on the Dodge brothers, and a little bit about the effect of the plant on the village of Hamtramck.

application/msword41608,DodgeMain 1
Dodge MainI.rtf (30.7 k)

application/msword41609,DodgeMain 2
DodgeMainII.rtf (26.8 k)

Mikem

Post Number: 1358
Posted on Thursday, April 07, 2005 - 2:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fisher 23 at 601 Piquette:

Fisher23
Fisher23-2005

Aiw

Post Number: 3659
Posted on Thursday, April 07, 2005 - 6:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Going back to the Studebaker plant...

It was originally built as the Wayne Automobile comapny factory, became the E-M-F plant, and then Studebaker...

I found this image here: http://dreamwater.org/emfauto/EMF_photos_factory.html - With the ususal artist's embelishments...

EMF

Bate

Post Number: 33
Posted From: 4.247.134.250
Posted on Thursday, April 07, 2005 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As Mike mentioned, here's additional HAER infromation, by Charles K. Hyde, with some additional information on plant layout (map) and individual building text.
http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ ampage?collId=hhdatapage&fileN ame=mi/mi0100/mi0166/data/hhda tapage.db&recNum=0&itemLink=r? ammem/hh:@FIELD

Mikem

Post Number: 1360
Posted on Thursday, April 07, 2005 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chalmers

This Chalmers postcard seems to match the layout of the factory from the Sanborn map above. The postcard was mailed August 4, 1913, so it's from the same period as the map. The factory gave 80 good years to Chalmers, Maxwell, and Chrysler before being demolished in 1990. A good recap at the HAER site: 12200 East Jefferson Ave

The back of the card states:

quote:

"The Chalmers factory consists of 18 buildings, having 1,250,000 square feet of manufacturing floor space and occupying a site of 30 acres. The Chalmers Company employs on an average of 4000 workmen, and builds annually about 8000 cars. The value of the annual product of Chalmers Cars is approximately $18,000,000."

It was mailed from Detroit to Exeter, Devonshire, England therefore costing 2¢, twice the usual postage.

Sven1977

Post Number: 53
Posted on Thursday, April 07, 2005 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here a Sanborn scans of the Maxwell/Chalmers plant from 1915-1920. I was going more for street documentation than a good factory layout.

Sven1977

Post Number: 54
Posted on Thursday, April 07, 2005 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two more Sanborn scans from 1915-1921.

The Liberty plant on Charlevoix.

Motor Products on Mack. Formally Lozier.

Mikem

Post Number: 1361
Posted on Thursday, April 07, 2005 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know where the Gar Wood Industries plant in Detroit was located? I've always thought of Gar Wood as a boat maker with a factory in Marysville, Michigan. However, I found that they were a maker of garbage truck bodies ( http://www.classicrefusetrucks .com/GW.html ) among other things, with plants across the country.

On the map I posted above, their plant looks to be on the northeast side near Hamtramck. On page 3 of this thread, AIW posted a sketch of the factory in Detroit. Also, I read references to Malcom X working in a Gar Wood factory in Detroit, Warren, or Wayne, depending on the source. The problem with places like Warren or Wayne is that the person making that claim could be mistaking Warren Avenue for Warren, MI or Wayne County for the city of Wayne, and Detroit could be a more general reference to the metropolitan area. At the website above, there was only this reference to the Detroit factory:

"This LP-300, mounted on a Ford F-series tandem chassis, was owned by the City of Detroit, Department of Parks and Recreation. It was part of a fleet of nearly 500 Gar Wood Load-Packers in use by that city in 1956. Load-Packers were originally built in Detroit, and (by the early 1950's) in nearby Wayne, Michigan."

Mikem

Post Number: 1362
Posted on Thursday, April 07, 2005 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hate to stray too far from Detroit otherwise this thread will never end, but I passed this factory in Warren this week and I noticed the water tank had the Chrysler pentastar on it. It's located at roughly 21900 Hoover Rd, just south of Nine Mile Rd. Any knowledge of what Chrysler did here?

Hoover1

Hoover2

Hoover3

Hoover4

Hoover5

If you've ever been to Washington Dulles airport, you've probably taken the mobile airport lounge from the terminal out to the aircraft. Chrysler, in a joint venture with Budd, made these at a factory in Warren. Wondering if there's any connection?

(Message edited by MikeM on April 07, 2005)

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 67.192.63.244
Posted on Thursday, April 07, 2005 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great thread guys; I've joined up because of it.

I'm taking a guess by looking at the drawing, that the Gar-Wood plant is east of Oakland, and maybe around Euclid. {I'm looking at my old map that I've seen scanned here. The one with the DSR lines in orange from around 1930.} One thing that I did find on this old map was that Lawrence Institute was just north of the Highland Park Ford plant.

Aiw

Post Number: 3663
Posted on Thursday, April 07, 2005 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike not sire about that plant, however the cirular part is quite Art Moderne in style, I would date it the early 40's? Maybe wartime production?

As for Gar Wood, intersting to find out they made Garbage Trucks.. I have always seen reference to the Gar Wood Truck plant in Windsor and I wondered what they made there...

gw

The plant is long gone, now a Banquet Hall sits on the site, but around the corner is Gar Wood Park.

park

area

Mikem

Post Number: 1363
Posted on Friday, April 08, 2005 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Hornwrecker! You're just in time; after this post, I have to leave for a while.

Moving back south to Hamtramck, this sawtooth at 3901 Christopher caught my eye a long time ago. It belongs to Haron Machinery, a dealer of used industrial equipment. I have to believe they are not the original occupants, but who was? This is located east of Conant, and south of the GTW railroad tracks:

Haron1

Haron2

Haron3

overhead

31ford
Username: 31ford

Post Number: 203
Posted From: 152.163.100.195
Posted on Friday, April 08, 2005 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bate,
The book Matchless Model A is a Post reprint of the 1929 Ford Industries book. Matchless Model A can be bought for under 5.00 while the original "industries" is around 30.00. Only drawback to the reprint is about 8 less pages.
If your'e into Ford, get "Rouge pictured in it's prime" by Ford Bryan. Henry's Model T shows lots of Piquette & HP interior shots too. Any of the Nevins & Hill trilogy history of Ford. Lots of good info. I'm still needing "Vol 2. of that set; Ford Expansion & Challenge if anyone runs across one!
BTW, AIW & Mike, Sven &others, this thread keeps getting better..

Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 2014
Posted on Friday, April 08, 2005 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only info available about the sawtooth is from circa 1947, when it was a Grinding Machine Company. Unfortunately, the only source we've found is a reproduction of a hand drawn Hamtramck map, which blurs the name of the company.

To add to the list of Fisher Body Company locations, they also had a plant at the corner of Clay and St. Aubin. The plant was on the NE corner, which was plowed under for the Poletown project.

Bate

Post Number: 34
Posted From: 4.247.134.2
Posted on Friday, April 08, 2005 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I once helped out on a Gar Wood race boat restoration. I recall it having a PT boat Packard v12 in it. Mikem, I truly enjoyed the garbage truck fan site. You are the search mastergeneral. 31 Ford, thanks I just orderd the two Rouge related titles from Amazon.
Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Old Car Factories » Old Car Factories - 6
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24