Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Corktown Conquistadors? Secret agenda revealed. « Previous Next »
Archive through September 27, 2007Southwestmap30 09-27-07  5:08 pm
Archive through September 28, 2007Detroitrulez30 09-28-07  2:25 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 2781
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You need to lay off the coffee, DRZ.

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 437
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No kidding....talk about yer Montezuma's Revenge. I'll give ya Montezuma's Revenge but good.

phew.

Penelopetheduck
Username: Penelopetheduck

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love how we are all supposed to assume that business owner and transplated suburbanites who are organizing against a soup kitchen for the love, have only honorable motives. While in teh same discussion people who have devoted their entire lives to making Detroit a better city for all its residents (not just the ones with ironic haircuts) are being mocked or accused of being a "concerning group" or so-called reverse racists.
After one of the "lets be nice first" meetings with St. Peters and elderly corktown resident took on the conquistadors aside and schooled them as to how they would have their nice little shotguns to renovate if not for St. Peters and Pastor, who fought hard to keep the entire neighborhood from being destroyed for urban renewal in the 1950s. Zoe Bonez (who is only 19 something years old) has been running community spaces, working for immigrant rights and social justice since she was in high school. NoSnowHere (the haha haha arab-american feminist) has done some amazing things around art, education and race issues, including putting on the Allied Media Conference this summer. Obviously, they are all a bunch of no nothing slackers and some dudes who run a restaurant are pillars of the community.
I don't like crime and drugs and homelessness in my neighborhood either, but I'm not the kind of selfish idiot that thinks that making sure I don't personally see homelessness is nobel position to take.
You want to end homelessness? Work on minimum wage issues, domestic violence issues, veteran's issues (some 25% of homeless people in the city are veterans), substance abuse and mental illness issues. Don't just going trying to get a soup kitchen to limit its hours.

Detroitrulez

Post Number: 439
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So now it comes out. "Business owner [read: mercenary] and transplanted suburbanites [read: "non-Native Detroiters"] = Bad. Soup Kitchens and their patronage = Good.

Kinda sounds similar to lower Cass Corridor....ceptin' without any residents....where people would like to make a go of cleaning things up for a more viable residential component but unfortunately all of the social service agencies, missions et al. are a bit of a millstone on those plans. So we sit and spin. The thing is....to a certain degree, both sides can indeed co-exist. But people need to recognize the limitations of both sides and that strident intractable positions will inevitably lead to an impasse. Just because St. Peters has been actively ladling since the 1950's does not mean that it cannot be questioned. Just because those sporting "ironic haircuts" find the homeless unsettling does not mean they should not allow them to use their showers from time to time.
So you're not a "selfish idiot." Whaddya want? a "nobel" peace prize?

Raggedclaws
Username: Raggedclaws

Post Number: 62
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awww...Penelope, you're so cute. When you say Zoe's been working the immigrants rights things "since high school" that would mean that last 18 mos or so ? She's 19, right ? Impressive !

The restaurant "dudes" took a chance on a commercially run-down area. They get to be as concerned about the area as they want. They've earned it.

Gdub
Username: Gdub

Post Number: 1146
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I'm just worried that a friend of mine who runs a community organization is going to get strong-armed."

Strong-armed? Have you seen Phil's arms?

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 2783
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And the people who were there before Slows have the right to be there too.

Sometimes the people on this forum make me very very sick. The only thing that hasn't happened in this conversation is no one has called Zoe or NoSnowHere a fat chick. Yet.

Penelopetheduck
Username: Penelopetheduck

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes. I want a nobel peace prize for my ability to hold onto the bare minimum of basic human decency in not wanting to decrease services to the homeless. lord.

Business owners and community workers can indeed coexist. They can't coexist if business owners are looking to remove people's access to things like food, clothing and basic social services because they find those people "unsettling". They can't coexist if one group with money and influence decides to completely ignore the history of a neighborhood and remake it to fit their own hipster utopia.
You know what unsettles me? Skinny girls with skunk looking hair-dos and gigantic record collections. I don't go trying to get their kind evicted.

Detroitrulez

Post Number: 442
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how noble of you.

"hipster utopia" eh? Can we say hyperbole? You make it soundlike the Cooley clan has a fleet of bulldozers smoking and champing at the bit.

so who's fat? Certainly not the skunk hair-doos with the vinyl stash.

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4636
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

*sigh* whatever.

Here's a chance to make a difference for both sides. Start at St. Peters, end with drinks and dinner at Slows.

FUNDRAISING CONCERT for Manna Meal Soup Kitchen
Friday, Sept. 28 7:30 PM

Featuring:
Trina Hamlin (from New York), Rev. Robert Jones (WDET), Celeste Headlee (formerly WDET), and Julie Beutel.
Singing songs that have moved people to action over the decades. (anti-war, union, civil rights, etc.)

$12 a person St. Peter's church in Corktown. Mich Ave & Trumbull.

For more info, click on St. Peter's website below.

I wonder how Celeste would feel about a soup kitchen opening around the corner from her home in Grosse Pointe.

Not to say anything bad about Manna Meals because that's not my place and nothing against Celeste she's a good person but a convenient example. When someone is criticized for having issues with the nature of soup kitchens in their neighborhood then it's only fair to question the motives of people who want soup kitchens in other people's neighborhoods.

J_stone
Username: J_stone

Post Number: 396
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was I excluded from joining the group because I don't have an "Ironic Haircut"? I couldn't help but wonder that myself.

I definitely have a very "Chach" style haircut and I suppose I'm one of those "striped shirt guys" as well.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1711
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm so confused...

Slows has soup now?

Detroitrulez

Post Number: 443
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cafe Zuppa reopened?

Supergay
Username: Supergay

Post Number: 94
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why has no one mentioned how after that first meeting with St. Peter's, which seemed to go so well with all feeling they learned more about the real issues at hand, and after some people in the young'uns group volunteered at the urban garden planting, they were then told that their future time and/or monetary help were not wanted?

Sounds like a preacher just found a handy fundraising rallying point.

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 126
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You should all move to Hamtramck. Where we all co-exist and no one gives a shit about nothin.

Detroitrulez

Post Number: 444
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and that's where Cafe Zuppa was originally located, so that makes sense.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4116
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Susanarosa, no soup for you!

Raggedclaws
Username: Raggedclaws

Post Number: 63
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's all relative isn't it Oldred ? When you say the "people who were there before Slows" do you mean the drunk leanin' up against the bulding before it was Slows, the Native Americans (mostly Huron and Ottawa), the French, maybe the white business owners from the more prosperous 1940s, or what ?

Please clarify...

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1219
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wear striped shirts, and I do not have an "ironic haircut". Does that mean I am for the Conquistadors or the Soup Kitchen?

I would like someone to clear this up for me.

Detroitrulez

Post Number: 445
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Depends on what you'll be selling/buying at the Boot Sale. If its Franciscanware and tiki mugs, grab your helmet. If its macrame plant hangars and home made soap and candles, grab yer ladle.

Michigan
Username: Michigan

Post Number: 1225
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"When you're a Jet you're a Jet all the way from your first cigarette to your last dying day!"

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2205
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wait, that haircut's not ironic??

Detroitrulez

Post Number: 446
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's get ready to RUUUUUUUMMMMMBLE!

Detroitrulez

Post Number: 447
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember Jerry Vile's old band, "The Bonerz? That's what I first thought of when I saw the name Zoe Bonez. Bonez....Bonerz....whatever.

Umcs
Username: Umcs

Post Number: 57
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where can I get one of those striped shirts? Does anyone have a picture? Are they organic?

J_stone
Username: J_stone

Post Number: 397
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That Striped Shirt Guy

Umcs
Username: Umcs

Post Number: 58
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I want one!

The_recycling_people
Username: The_recycling_people

Post Number: 57
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where there are crumbs, there are mice. Stop the crumbs, and the mice leave. No soup = no eats = moving out to a place where one can get some free eats.

As bad and cruel as this statement may seem, it is reality.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1351
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well now. This thread has been rather interesting to read, even though I have no idea what the hell is going on in Corktown. I suppose that "what happens in Corktown, stays in Corktown," eh? I don't live in Corktown, although I am qualified. I do, however, work very close to it, and I am very disturbed to hear that the Bagley-Trumbull Market has turned into something ugly and despicable, although I say that based only on the statements in this thread. If true, that is such a shame. I very much liked the market, before the new owners came in and fucked up what was a classic old-style place. Most of all, I was very, very disappointed to see the former owners go... Felix, Tony, Junior (before his motorcycle mishap,) the girl whose name I do not remember and, of course, Mom. I had Felix's phone number-- he wanted me to call him if I heard of any openings at my place of employment-- but I lost it. If any of you have it, and are not uncomfortable with passing it along, please say so.
Hard drugs, and prostitutes? Alas and alack!!

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 909
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who is the new owner of the Bagley Trumbull market? Perhaps a protest at his home is in order?

Drm
Username: Drm

Post Number: 1152
Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The owner of Bagley Trumbull Market will be at the Corktown Residents Council meeting this coming Tuesday, October 3, 6:30pm at Spirit of Hope church, corner of Trumbull and MLK.

Putnam
Username: Putnam

Post Number: 103
Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Quote from Putnam-
" You people are idiots! I am much smarter and better than any of you. Get out of my way you hegemonic racist/sexist pigs! I'll say what ever I want! The truth is what I say it is! Facts are irrelevant!"

Sorry, just quoting liberally.

Michigan. Who are you? Do you have a name?

Jsmyers
Username: Jsmyers

Post Number: 1919
Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I have no use for any kind of "LET'S DO SOMETHING!" crowd (btw what ever happened to the DY plans to 'clean up' Capitol Park?)

DY never had plans to "clean up" Capitol Park.

I tried to start an effort to help bring more comprehensive change about. Limited interest was expressed on this board and over email, and only one person other than myself ever got together to try to plan anything.

Most of those expressions of interest went something like, "Let me know when you are doing the clean up, and I'll be there." My hope was to get together some of the numerous people on this board with professional expertise together.

I spent some of my volunteer time in other ways, until I left to follow my fiancee's career. I'm now a homeowner with a new career of my own, in a different state.

If I had been able to stay long enough, a lot more would've came out of those discussions.

The "lets do something crowd" are the only people that do anything, whether they meet online, or someplace else.

Jelk

Post Number: 4637
Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I tried to start an effort to help bring more comprehensive change about. Limited interest was expressed on this board and over email, and only one person other than myself ever got together to try to plan anything.

quote:

The "lets do something crowd" are the only people that do anything, whether they meet online, or someplace else.

Moderator please move this to the contradictions thread.

Jsmyers
Username: Jsmyers

Post Number: 1920
Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You somehow assume that I didn't do anything because one of my efforts turned up empty handed.

Did it occur to you that the biggest reason it didn't get done was because I was too busy doing something else? Something else that started when somebody said, "let's do something."

My point is that everything that is done starts with some sort of "let's do something" moment. You are an idiot if you think that all of these moments are supposed to always lead to a finished product.

You are also an idiot if you think it is better to sit at home and laugh and other's mis-starts than it is to take a risk on your own. That is a sure recipe for looserdom.

Jelk

Post Number: 4638
Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

That is a sure recipe for looserdom.

Ah looserdom, I saw a hygiene film about avoiding looserdom. Sure penicillin can treat it but the safest thing is to avoid looserdom and the women who spread it.

Supergay
Username: Supergay

Post Number: 97
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a friend who caught looserdom and she died.

Detroitrulez

Post Number: 449
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought Looserdam was a dutch cheese. Pretty soft and mild as I recall....

Jelk

Post Number: 4639
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jenny thought she was popular it turned out she was on the fast track for looserdom...parking in cars and what not.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2ya SuhmLk40

Michigan
Username: Michigan

Post Number: 1241
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes putnam, I do have a name. That name is Michigan.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1713
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love it when a thread comes full circle.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 10573
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And WE love it when YOU love it.

So there.

Detroitrulez

Post Number: 450
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't love that.

and I doubt if Zoe Bonez does either.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 926
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"how they would have their nice little shotguns to renovate if not for St. Peters and Pastor, who fought hard to keep the entire neighborhood from being destroyed for urban renewal in the 1950s."

Just a historical question: Bill Wylie-Kellerman was working here in Detroit in the 1950's when urban renewal happened? Doesn't seem right.

Perhaps the "pastor" you are referring to was Msgr. Clem Kern at Holy Trinity?

Ffdfd
Username: Ffdfd

Post Number: 210
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zoe Bonez-Rulez someday?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.