Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Hail to the Taxers « Previous Next »
Archive through October 02, 2007Detroitbill30 10-02-07  12:11 pm
Archive through October 02, 2007Cjs30 10-02-07  4:56 pm
Archive through October 02, 2007Livernoisyard30 10-02-07  11:41 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2880
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you know she only signs off on the budget, right?

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 3020
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And where does it say that the "quality" of your life needs to come from the wallet of someone else?

Being generous with other people's money doesn't resonate too well right now.

Lilpup

Post Number: 2881
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

being greedy never resonates well

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 3021
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, the guv certainly exemplifies that trait!

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 3328
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

you know she only signs off on the budget, right?

You know that the tax increases that were signed into law were her idea right? She has veto power, she is governor, lets not pretend she is some bystander to the process.

Lilpup

Post Number: 2882
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

vetoes can be overridden

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 3329
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The bottom line is this:

It really isn’t up to the taxpayers to tell our representatives WHERE to cut. We are on the outside looking in. The folks that work in government and our representatives should know where the bodies are buried and where cuts can be made.

As a person who runs a business and has been involved in managing many companies, I always knew where the fat and waste were. If upper management came in with an edict to cut 5% of operating costs or more, it wasn’t like I had to rack my brain as to where they were going to come from. The last thing I would do is ask my customers where I should make cuts, which is the equivalent of the taxpayers telling government where to cut.

The idiots like Granholm would have us believe that every stone has been turned over and there are no savings to be had. This is utter nonsense, she knows it and we know it. So let’s cut the crap. We need to be DEMANDING cuts relentlessly. If the politicians say there are none to be had we need to threaten them with recalls or vote them out of office.

We have all sacrificed in the private sector, the public sector needs to do the same. Give a financial incentive to the department heads in the state agencies to come up with savings. They know damn well there is waste and they know where it is. The current budget process does not provide incentives to reduce costs.

Hire outside auditors if you have to, the mentality and culture of the state government needs to change. Constantly caving in to new taxes is not the answer as we are conditioning these morons to do that any time there is a crunch. We should also stop electing lawyers like Granholm who have no executive experience whatsoever.

(Message edited by perfectgentleman on October 03, 2007)

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 161
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love this stuff:

"As a person who runs a business and has been involved in managing many companies, I always knew where the fat and waste were."

Really? So why did you let it continue? Doesn't speak highly of your management skills.

"We have all sacrificed in the private sector, the public sector needs to do the same."

No doubt some have. But tell the workers at Northwest about all of the sacrifices made by the management and executives at Northwest.

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 3331
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Really? So why did you let it continue? Doesn't speak highly of your management skills.

There are things that are essential and things that are nice to have when times are good that are not as essential. When times get tough, you do without the non-essentials.

This cycle is repeated over and over throughout the business world. You may do certain things that you feel will enhance your operation but then later find you could have done without them. Did you ever buy something that in retrospect you didn't really need? Same thing.

quote:

But tell the workers at Northwest about all of the sacrifices made by the management and executives at Northwest.

Well the analogy is that the workers sacrificed and management did not. That is wrong but in the case of state government the taxpayers are being asked to sacrifice and the bureaucrats are not. Also wrong.

Cjs
Username: Cjs

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 1:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I read people's entries who are worried about SMART being funded so they can get to a job or a doctor. There should be plenty of money for SMART. Unfortunately, SMART is a big target when it comes time to tighten the state's budget. But SMART is really one of the more important services our tax dollars provide.

The issue as I see it is the tax money that is spent on the things that aren't as essential. You catch glimmers of them in the press. There must be hundreds, perhaps thousands of them. If we could award "spending points" on what good is delivered, how it helps people improve thier lives, how the money multiplies through the economy, if we could rank expenses by these "spending points", we could improve the effectiveness of our taxes.

I don't mind paying my fair share of taxes. But this raising of taxes now, when I and many others are feeling such a hard time in this tough economy, and we know there is waste in this huge government, that is unacceptable.

Lilpup

Post Number: 2883
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"taxpayers are being asked to sacrifice and the bureaucrats are not."

our bureaucrats don't pay taxes?

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 4821
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 1:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Robbing Peter to pay Paul for the politicians...raise taxes, raise their own salaries the same amount and more. If only everyone else could do that.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 825
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 1:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lilpup,

I wish I could remember who came up with this, but I can't. Anyhow it's not original.

There are two classes of people in society: taxpayers and government people. The distinction is simple: if you pay more in taxes than you get in direct cash payments from the government, you are a taxpayer. If you don't, you are a government person.

Taxpayers (using this definition) provide positive cashflow to the government, and government people drain cash out of the government. Bureaucrats, since they work for and are paid by the government, are for the most part government people.

A government person can give himself a 200% raise by raising taxes 200%. Sure, his taxes go up too, but his taxes are only a small percentage of his pay so he benefits overall. The rest of us hurt.

I still wish people would give more specifics. We had a few good ones going several hours ago, but it's reverted back to nonsense. People that say "we could cut nonessentials": WHAT would you cut? BE SPECIFIC. Otherwise you are not contributing signal, just noise.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 826
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 1:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, Ccbatson, politicians' salaries make up a very tiny, pretty much insignificant, part of the whole picture. Sure, it'd be symbolic for them to cut their own pay, but that'd be all: symbolic.

Cjs
Username: Cjs

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 2:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yesterday the New York Times reported Granholm was trying to reduce the amount of cash the state would have to come up with to continue to fund the shortfalls in the state pensions funds. They way to do it is to look at accounting principles rather than actuarial estimates. You've got to expend a lot of energy in court to make the change, but it will save the state millions in pension expense if they can win. Check it out. Scott, if you want more examples, try Google.

This is the kind of expense we need to cut. Government going to court to avoid paying into the pension fund. That will cost taxpayers millions. I am not happy about this waste.

Abracadabra
Username: Abracadabra

Post Number: 98
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 3:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, not one incumbent will get a circle filled in from this voter. I'll have to decide what third party I want to have a chance to get some funds.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4176
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 3:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One specific is that the pensions of Michigan state government retirees are exempt from Michigan state income taxes. Or at least, that's what was said on WJR. Is this accurate?

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on October 03, 2007)

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1973
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 6:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gazhekwe---According to the Detroit News, another service being taxed is "Phrenology services". I hope the State Bar Commissioners add it to their list.
I am sure glad I did not become a Phrenologist but went to law school instead.
My clients receive a bill based on $250 an hour but will be relieved that each hour does not mean an extra $15. But performing Phrenological services to the same clients would really have pissed them off to see that a 6% tax was added to the bottom line.
Oh yes, by the way, I only have three college degrees. What the hell are Phrenological services?

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 2769
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 7:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What the hell are Phrenological services?

Reading the bumps on the head. I didn't know it was still being practiced.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P hrenology

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1975
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We used an occasional psychologist to sit with us at the counsel table when we voir -dired a potential jury before commencing a civil trial to (hopefully) give us some insight on whether or not we really wanted a particular person to sit on the panel, but never in 37 years of practice did we engage the services of a "phrenologist."
Come to think of it, I doubt if the trial judge would allow such mischief, much less if a potential juror would have wanted to be so "examined".

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 137
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Having assisted registration tables at a couple of "psychic fairs", I'm here to tell you that people who visit phrenologists, astrologers, palm readers etc do not report what they pay for these services. Therefore, rarely does the service provider report the income received. And very few of them perform these services on a full time basis. So just how much additional tax money are they going to receive? I would think it is insignificant for the amount of time it will take to notify those who conduct this type of business, try to track their income and collect the tax.

As to where else we can cut...I heard a few years back that the State owned many houses on Mackinaw Island (near the Governor's Mansion there, which we all pay to support) that are available to our legislators to rent at a MUCH reduced rate. They are maintained, cleaned and supplied by taxpayer dollars. I think the figure I heard was they pay $20 a day or something, when the market rate for such a thing would be $1000 or more a week.

Does anyone know if this is still happening? If so, I would say that's one perk the legislators can do without, wouldn't you?

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 3359
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree alot of the services on the list are already performed under the table on a cash basis. This tax will ensure even more of them do the same.

Abracadabra
Username: Abracadabra

Post Number: 106
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Though my profession was not directly hit by the service tax, my fear is that it opens the door for them to tax all services in the near future. When/if it does, I will actively try to avoid the tax whenever possible.

Lilpup

Post Number: 2887
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some services on the list are big dollar services and taxing them will allow the state more reason to look at their books and possibly find monkey business (e.g. some limo companies)

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 730
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

State employee pensions exempt from state income tax, yes, that is true.

Of course, that is under attack. Can you imagine, taxing a fixed income that does not increase annually to cover even a fraction of the cost of living? Tsk tsk tsk.

Well, here is a summary of the Pension Reform Bill and some comments about it:

http://www.michiganvotes.com/2 007-HB-4801

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 4825
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rumblings point in the direction that the states Democrats, particularly Granholm, are in some deep doo doo over this one.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 245
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please name a government entity that taxed their way into prosperity?

James

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1968
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Better to be a "tax and spend" liberal than a "borrow from China and deficit spend like a mofo" so-called 'conservative'.

James - please name a government entity that borrowed their way to prosperity.

Umcs
Username: Umcs

Post Number: 86
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Tax and Spend" and "Borrow and Spend" are two sides of the same coin. Both are unsustainable.

If we're serious about cuts to programs that otherwise provide beneficial outcomes to residents and businesses, let them share the burden equally. In other words, for each $1.00 we remove from the budget that goes towards resident benefits, let's remove $1.00 in tax breaks. That's fair correct?

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 569
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An excerpt from a comerica bank analysis of the new tax. this is only an excerpt, and I unfortunately cannot link to the larger document:

"In sum, the new structure of taxes is a little less hostile to businesses. Personal income tax rates are still relatively low. And extending the sales taxes to services has broadened the base in a way that makes the tax code more equitable. None of these changes will materially change the behavior of most individuals and businesses in Michigan. Given the woes of the state economy and the historic
opportunity provided by the elimination of the SBT, it was reasonable to hope for bolder action from the political process. In the end, the budget drama could have borrowed a title from Shakespeare, “Much Ado About Nothing.” But at least, no great harm has been done."

The original article was actually about both the UAW strike outcome and the tax changes... the writer was GLOWING about the changes to GM because of the strike, BTW...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.