Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: Archives » Tiger Talk 2007 « Previous Next »
Tiger Talk 2007 - 1Sharms103 07-25-07  2:52 am
Archive through July 06, 2007Rjk186 07-06-07  7:52 am
Archive through July 18, 2007Mackinaw30 07-18-07  9:21 pm
Archive through August 03, 2007Smogboy30 08-03-07  2:55 pm
Archive through August 08, 2007Scs10030 08-08-07  9:40 pm
Archive through August 14, 2007Focusonthed30 08-14-07  9:56 am
Archive through August 16, 2007Scs10030 08-16-07  7:16 pm
Archive through August 21, 2007Smogboy30 08-21-07  10:51 pm
Archive through August 26, 2007Ray193630 08-26-07  4:07 pm
Archive through September 07, 2007Mackinaw30 09-07-07  10:49 am
Archive through September 18, 2007Smogboy30 09-18-07  10:48 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1336
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ayyyyye-yup. I think what we are going to witness, now, is what I always call, "The Long Goodbye."

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5941
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least we were in the hunt for the longest time. Injuries really really stung this teambadly this year. Looking back at 2006, we were REALLY blessed with health, luck and some skills.

Our future is still bright though. We've got some wonderful pieces to build this team around and as far as some of the older players like Sheffield, Ordonez, Pudge (if he wants back), Guillen and Jones- I really think we can still contend in the very near future as well.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1946
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Pudge ought to quit crossing himself before every pitch. The way he's been hitting, God ain't watching.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3680
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The end is near.

They got swept when they needed at least two wins. Who gets the blame? Did Leyland fail to motivate, thinking they were playing at a high enough level going in?

Regardless, there's no doubt that poor pitching performances in the clutch, mostly by our sophomore members, really did us in.

Ravine

Post Number: 1337
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Many of you know that I am a very devoted Tiger fan. Now that I have concluded that we will not make it into the playoffs, I have many thoughts and musings.
The issue that is on my mind, today, is about Carlos Guillen. Guillen wants to play Shortstop. He already accepts the likelihood that, down the line, he will end up at 1B, but he is not warm to the idea of moving over there now. He has even named some players to whom, were they to become Tigers, he could see himself surrendering the SS position. Also, and perhaps most importantly, he has always said that whatever they want him to do, if it helps the team win, he'll do it. The bottom line right now, though, is that he wants to continue playing SS.
I'm really hoping that he comes to feel more willing to make that move quite a bit sooner. I have loads of respect for Guillen. He is a blue-collar worker on a team whose fans love that quality. His consistency, as a hitter, is remarkable. Think about it: Do you recall Carlos ever being in a slump? He hits about .295 batting left-handed. He hits about .295 batting right-handed. He has plenty of HR power and, unlike some Tigers we know, is sharp enough to pick up a walk now and then.
I think Guillen may be "in denial," somewhat. He is not a good Shortstop, anymore. Nobody is mad at him for it. When the legs and/or back go, they don't come back. It happens to different guys at different ages. It has happened to him. He is not a total stiff at SS, by any means, but he is close. Real close. Santiago has been playing at SS because Guillen has become a defensive liability at that position. Santiago has been hitting pretty good, too, but if his BA was .126, he'd still be over there, because having Carlos there creates a weakness which can be easily exploited.
I hope Guillen comes around, in this matter. We very much need him. The thing is, we can't have a bunch of guys in the "we need his bat so we're going to have him play First Base" club. (I must point out that signing a guy to just be the DH has some negative effects on a team's flexibility.)
So much to consider, as the season fades to black...

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 856
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't help but think that Dombrowski told CG that there was a very good chance that he'd be moved to 1st after this season when he signed this past spring. A 3 year/14 million per extension is a pretty big contract for a shortstop who committed 28 errors last year and has 23 so far this year.
How much complaining can you do when you have limited range and are committing that many errors?
1st base is now open since Casey is all but gone. I think CG going to 1st was the plan all along and CG had to know it was coming.

I think he's speaking out of turn and in a moment of frustration talked about how he won't be playing the position that he's been playing since he was a little kid. That can't be easy to come to grips with.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3988
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too bad! They needed a sweep; they got swept. Toast!

Hopefully, the Brewers can hang onto first because they haven't a prayer for a wild card.

Ravine

Post Number: 1341
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The press guys might have "pressed" him to talk about the matter.

Smogboy

Post Number: 5946
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 2:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it's true and Casey is gone, it'll be a sad day. I've always liked hearing his viewpoints on the game and he really seems like a personable sort of guy. Sure the guy runs like month old concrete and he's not the fleetest of foot on the team, but he seems to be a consumate team player, solid with the glove, well liked by the press and a super nice guy who gave it his all.

He will be missed if he's gone at the end of this season.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1607
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

good bye tigers 07 thanks for the memories can't wait for April

Smogboy

Post Number: 5968
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 12:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can Maggs hang on for a few more games and win the batting championship now? Any thoughts on Placido Polanco passing up Ichiro as well?

Again, not as fun as going into the ALCS & the World Series but it's something to hang onto as this season fades off into the sunset.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 472
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What kind of finish would it take for Ichiro to pass Maggs? If Maggs went 1-for-4 every day for the rest of the season, and Ichiro went 2-for-4, they would end up in an approximate tie.

More specifically, the Tigers have 5 games left, and Maggs averages ~3.8 AB per game. The Mariners have 7 left, and Ichiro averages ~4.2 AB per game (fewer walks, leadoff vs cleanup).

So if both played every remaining game, that projects out to 19 AB remaining for Maggs, and 29 for Ichiro.

Were Maggs to go 5-for-19 he'd end up at .355; Ichiro would have to go 14-for-29 to finish a point ahead (.356).

That's to make-up their 8 point deficit. For Polanco to pass Ichiro, the difference in their respective performance would have to be even greater.

Smogboy

Post Number: 5974
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zephyrprocess, our friend, scholar and better yet...mathematician!

Thank you for that ray & glimmer of hope that Magglio will walk away with the crown. And yes it does look as though Placido has to make up quite a bit to pass up Ichiro as well.

Smogboy

Post Number: 5979
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maggs- two for four tonight. Stretching that lead out now.

Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 473
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ichiro is 1-for-3 after taking a called third strike in the 6th.

OK, here's my speculative thought for the day: could Guillen play left field? The range and quickness required to play a middle-infield position is very different, it seems to me, than what's required in LF. Guillen no longer has the former, but does he have the skills (and inclination) for the latter? (Need I remind anyone that Gary Sheffield broke into the majors as a shortstop?)

Presuming Maybin is still not ready to be a regular in 2008, here's the inequality I'm seeing:
(Santiago@SS + Casey@1B + Guillen@LF) > (Santiago@SS + Guillen@1B + Some Body@LF)

where Some Body is Timo Perez, or Marcus Thames, or ???.

Ray1936

Post Number: 1977
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, but what the Tigers need is pitching. They've gotta do something this winter in that area or next year will be a repeat of this year.

Smogboy

Post Number: 5980
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pitching? If anything they're deep there!

The only things that really stung us this year was injuries on that staff and its inexperience. We lost Kenny Rogers, Fernando Rodney, Joel Zumaya for a good chunk of the season- in essence a top starter, their top hold man and one of the best relievers.

Verlander and Bonderman were somewhat inconsistent but still gave us solid innings. Robertson pitched some gems but never had run support. Miller, Jurrjens, Durbin and Bozardo were unproven but also held some solid innings. So I don't see anything lacking for starting pitching there. AND there's some pretty amazing arms that we've stocked up on over the last few drafts.

Jones was grilled earlier but still had a stellar year. I think what hurt us was the lack of depth in the pen with middle relief but that's about it. The guys like Grilli, Capellan, McBride, Seay, Byrdak and Miner couldn't hold it together- but middle relief is a lot easier to address than the bulldogs you need at starter and closers.

In 2006- the last magical year, we were blessed with solid consistent starters which were generally followed by 1) Rodney or Walker, 2) Zumaya and 3) Jones. That generally spelled doom for the other teams. With the loss of Jaime Walker, we still have the same solid staff of 2006.

I would like to think and hope for consistency and lack of injuries for the pitching staff. I don't agree that we need to do anything too major; they've got some solid arms coming up the ranks that other teams are salivating for.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Tigers getting some more offense from the corners. Inge and Casey are solid defensively but I wouldn't mind seeing some more pop from the bats there as well. Outside of Polanco & Guillen, our infield could probably use a little more offense as well. I think the Tigers really need to start addressing the catching position NOW. How much longer is Pudge going to be there and as it was, his production has started to erode already.

That being said, I have faith in Dombrowski. And who knows how much longer is the skipper going to be with us? What about an eventual replacement for Leyland?

Outside of the injury bug really slapping the Tigers senseless this year, we still hung in there (technically we're still in it because the Yankees have yet to clinch the wildcard) and gave it a solid run.

Smogboy

Post Number: 5981
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And if there's anyone advocating for the return of Neifi Perez for next year, you can kindly step out in front of the oncoming Hamilton bus at your earliest convenience.

Smogboy

Post Number: 5993
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Tigers' bid to become defending AL champs died tonight with the Yankees win in Tampa Bay.

We started off the season with such high hopes only to have them dashed with blood clots, fractures, sore shoulders, messed up fingers and a host of other maladies. Not that I attribute our disappointment all on injuries but it does make me marvel at how fortunate one has to be- playing healthy, battling through slumps, being lucky and sometimes just sheer grit & determination to make it to the Big Dance.

While disappointing, we still have plenty of hope where there wasn't any for the longest time.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1340
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hell, if you step back and take off the Olde English D-shaped sunglasses, with everything that happened, it's a hell of an accomplishment that they made it this close--contending halfway into September, and not being TOTALLY eliminated until 9/26.

Smogboy

Post Number: 5995
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 1:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great sense of perspective there, Focusonthed!

I'd like to think that even though they were in the driver's seat for while- the Yankees were fearing a collapse of monumental proportions and the Tigers COULD've caught them for the wildcard. I'm sure ol' George Steinbrenner is wheezing a little easier not but I'm glad we didn't roll over and passively go without a fight.

Bravo to the men sporting the Olde English D for a great season.

Ray1936

Post Number: 1980
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great season even if missing the playoffs. Pulling 3 million fans into the ballpark was historic. Verlander's no-no probably the peak event of the year. Meg's batting, Polanco's hitting, and Granderson's "Lou Whittaker" grin just made for a super season.

Bless you, boys, and it'll be great in 2008.

Ravine

Post Number: 1364
Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, it's over. I wish it wasn't, but it is. I'm disappointed about not reaching the playoffs, but I'm not disappointed by the Tigers' season in general. Despite a somewhat high number of key injuries, we fought pretty good, overall.
Any Tiger fan who is feeling any sense of the blues, today, should take a moment to imagine how today feels to NY Met fans. I am delighted to see the Phillies in it, because I like those guys, but I feel some compassion for the Met fans. That's gotta hurt...

Njmikey
Username: Njmikey

Post Number: 59
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope you will all enjoy watching the Yankees in their 13th consecutive playoff run on their way to the premier franchise's 39th AL pennant and 27th World series title.

Smogboy

Post Number: 6026
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a baseball fan, yes I will enjoy watching the chase for the World Series title. But I think the majority of us here will even enjoy the World Series march that much more when the Yankees crash and burn as their overblown budgeted team loses.

So for a New Jersey fan of the Yankees to come here and try to stir things up on Detroit Tigers thread, Njmikey... be prepared to be mocked and laughed at when the Yankees lose. As bold of a prediction as you can make- we can do the same and predict how they'll fail.

And yes, we know you're here to stir $hit up because why would you post that half cocked prediction on a Tigers thread? Are you THAT clever? I doubt it. It'd be an entirely different matter if you opened up a baseball thread and made that prediction... at least there you'd be bold there and the topic would be debated with some intelligence. Instead you come here, speak trash so be prepared to be mocked, jeered, teased, laughed at and be pummeled for your arrogance and ignorance- even if the Yankees win it all.

We see through your thin brown veiled attempt Njmikey.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1635
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The world series will be held this year in Boston or LA and Chicago

Njmikey

Post Number: 60
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smogboy:

First of all I live closer to New York then you probably live to Detroit(go to google maps and punch in Hoboken NJ) so your comment about a "new jersey yankee fan" makes no sense....

Second, I was on this thread last year when the Yankees lost to the Tigers, I came here and took my medicine like a man. Even if we do fail, 13 years in a row in the playoffs is a great run....

Yankees bashers like to point out that the Yankees spend close to $67 gajillion every year; that they collect All-Stars and Hall of Famers the way kids collect bugs, stamps and baseball cards; that the YES Network contributes about $87 fabillion to the team's coffers; yaddah, yaddah, yaddah.

Here's something for you: In 2007, 12 teams built rosters with payrolls richer than $90 million. Here are eight of those teams: the Mets, White Sox, Dodgers, Mariners, Tigers, Orioles, Cardinals and Giants. Would you like to know what those eight teams have in common? Of course, you already know: They are choosing between Titleist and Top Flite right now.

Money helps. Money is a wonderful asset. But money is not a magic elixir. The Mets spent $115 million, the White Sox and Dodgers $108 million, the Mariners $106 million. How'd that work out for them? The Rockies spent $54 million, the Diamondbacks $52 million. How's that work out for them?

The Yankees may have a better head start than everyone else, but that doesn't guarantee them October. Only the Yankees can do that. Only the baseball on the field can do that. And they have made October every single year since 1995. Thirteen straight years and counting. Generous accounting doesn't account for that kind of run.

Smogboy

Post Number: 6028
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Njmikey... seeing as how you do LIVE in New Jersey, how is my comment about you being a "New Jersey Yankee fan" offbase or not true? What does proximity to a team have anything to do with being a fan? Why did you feel the need to defend that or question my proximity to Detroit (a resident BTW)?

Hoboken resident + New Jersey + Yankees fan = New jersey Yankees fan, right??

I'm not necessarily bashing the Yankees, their owner, MLB, payroll or anything per se, I'm more wondering why you need to feel the compulsion to come here and make a bold half cocked prediction about your precious Yankees here on this Tigers thread. Why brag about them here? Our team isn't even playing your team! Why not start a World Series thread on the Non-Detroit section and discuss it there?

Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 484
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NJMikey--well, first of all, it's not possible for all 12 teams with payrolls >$90 million to make the playoffs, so somebody with a fat wallet is going to be swinging clubs this time of year. But those 12 teams do account for 8 of the top 12 records; the Tigers, Mets, and Mariners all bought 88 wins with their payrolls and all missed out on the post-season. The White Sox and Cardinals were in the top 12 spenders without a top 12 record; nevertheless, their payrolls did support that last two World Series Champions.

But yes, as the A's have often shown in the past, and the Rockies and D-backs show this year, a low payroll team can make the post-season. What's that take? High-performing youngsters making about the major league minimum of $400,000. Think Curtis Granderson. Four of the D-backs' 8 everyday players are not yet eligible for salary arbitration. Can you do that for 13 years? No--that's where the money comes in. That's why (the very capable) Brian Cashman has very different off-seasons than (the very capable) Billy Beane.

And just to quantify what we really mean by the "gajillion" and "fabillion" more dollars that the Yankees spend annually, note that the Tigers spent $95,180,369 this year--9th highest payroll in baseball. And yet, they still spent LESS THAN HALF what the Yankees did ($195,229,045). In fact, only the Red Sox spent as much as 60% of what the Yankees did.

Smogboy

Post Number: 6030
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not meaning to nitpick, Zephyrprocess but the Yankees actually spent $212,806,074 for 2007. You need to factor in Roger Clemens' pro-rated $28 million dollar contract which comes out to be about an additional $18.5 million for the year.

Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 485
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's a lot of nits, Smogboy.

IOW: the Yankees spent an amount equivalent to 20% of the Tigers' entire payroll for someone to fill the role Chad Durbin played in our rotation.

Njmikey

Post Number: 61
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smogboy - I thought you were insinuating something else with your new jersey yankee fan comment.

I'm still bitter about last year's divisional series loss to tigers...that's why I posted.

If the yankees lose I promise I'll come back to post and you can all mock me. Until then, LET"S GO YANKEES

Rjk

Post Number: 898
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/ news/story?id=3055661

Pudge is coming back.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 641
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As he should.

Smogboy

Post Number: 6059
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The market for catchers really wasn't that hot this year. Outside of Posada in New York becoming a free agent (and all indications were that he was staying), I think Detroit did the right thing in re-signing Pudge. Leyland does need to talk to him and try to cut down the strikeouts. Pudge really does need to get it out of his head that he has to singlehandedly BAT the baserunners around; a simple walk sometimes will suffice.

The Tigers do need to start cultivating a catcher or have some plans beyond Vance Wilson & Mike Rabelo.

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 476
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any chance A-Rod who apparently will opt out of pinstripes would consider the Tigs?

Sure, A-Rod likes the 'big stage' but who knows.

Smogboy

Post Number: 6061
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a very outside chance of ARod being a Tiger- but the only reason I'd say that is because of Scott Boras. Boras is the agent to several of the high priced Tigers and seems to have developed a decent relationship with the organization. It also helps that the Rangers and Yankees will still be picking up part of his tab but even so, ARod is a fortune and a half.

Part of reason why the Tigers might not be a good fit for him is the fact that he probably wants the HR title from Bonds. The expansive confines of the CoPa aren't exactly great for a HR hitter. Again- his price tag could just be way too expensive.

Alsodave
Username: Alsodave

Post Number: 797
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 8:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If there was a real chance to get him, I'm sure Ilitch would open up his checkbook. The other issue--would Ilitch move in the fences again? (I hope not.) But with 28 HRs as the max hit by a Tiger in a season at the Copa, that begs the question: is the home run title more important to ARod than a World Series ring?

Smogboy

Post Number: 6062
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's a great question there, Alsodave! I think that's something that only Arod & his agent can figure out. I'm sure they're looking at the direction of both teams. Detroit's young & hungry with a wealth of talent coming into its own whereas the Yankees will always be the crazy spendthrift without regards to a team concept. I'm also wondering how he feels under that intense media scrutiny in New York as well; his post season stats have been nothing to write home about. If he does come here, I'm sure he'd be given the option to move back to SS if he wanted to as well. Not much has really been said of his ego (so I'll assume he's not some Barry Bonds-esque self loving jerk) but one wonders how he feels being in the shadow of Jeter; I'm sure it's got to be somewhat awkward but nothing blatantly obvious.

I'm sure there are perks to both organizations and with an agent like Scott Boras, I'm willing to bet you they'll explore all sorts of options. It is tantalizing... VERY tantalizing.

Smogboy

Post Number: 6063
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Play along here...

2008 Infield:

1B- Guillen
2B- Polanco
SS- Alex Rodriguez
3B- Inge
C- Pudge

2009- Pudge retires or moves on and Inge goes behind the plate to solve our catching issues. It's not like Inge hasn't earned the respect of his pitching teammates and is solid defensively. ARod would be given the option to stay at SS or move to 3B and we could shop for that vacancy via free agency.

Tantalizing indeed!

(Message edited by smogboy on October 10, 2007)

Alsodave
Username: Alsodave

Post Number: 799
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With that 2008 infield, throw in the bats of Sheff and Maglio--VERY tantalizing!

Another question--isn't Inge a natural SS?

Hmmm...

Smogboy

Post Number: 6065
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Inge WAS a shortstop and relief pitcher in college. Since then he's played catcher, every outfield position and 3B for us. Given the fact that he's got a cannon for an armsolid defense and a decent range, I'm sure he could play practically any infield position.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 392
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Inge goes behind the plate to solve our catching issues

Inge has openly stated he will never play at the catcher position again. Putting him behind the plate would be a bad idea for management and turn him into another bitter Roger Cedeno.

Rjk

Post Number: 904
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think it would have been a good idea to put Inge behind the plate, but when you bat .239 with 150 strikeouts you play where the managers tells you to play.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 393
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the management respects Inge enough that they would trade him before putting him behind the plate because of his wishes/ultimatum type statement. Otherwise, he would lose even more production and probably demand to be traded.

Smogboy

Post Number: 6100
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dagnabbit. I just drove by Comerica Park earlier today and still remember back fondly to last year, around this time and how the ballpark was glowing and humming with excitement. And not just the ballpark but people in Detroit were abuzz about the Tigers too. It really was magical.

It's hard to believe that just last year around this time, we were fighting & clawing it out with Oakland. So close and yet so far. Let's hope for another October run sometime soon. It was way fun and such a fun ride.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.