Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Obligatory Auto Show Thread « Previous Next »
Pictures and Analysis of the 2009 Detroit Auto Show CLICK HERE
North American International Auto ShowIslandman01-15-09  3:51 am
Channel 4's Auto Show CoverageOrange_barrel27 01-19-09  7:30 pm
2009 Detroit Auto Show Analysis [Pics]Lowell01-18-09  2:41 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 4838
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/section/B USINESS03

It's that time again....

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 3632
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Cadillac Converj concept is sweet.

I also like the new Ford Fusion and Kia Soulster

I'm not too impressed with the new Taurus or the Lincoln MKT.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 8266
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the converj, exciting design, and love the look of the taurus

the new Lexus hybrid looks like it stole a grill right off a current fusion, and the little blue light behind its badge doesn't help that impression

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 8271
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i think i like the lincoln c

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 3634
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I retract my earlier statement expressing dislike for the new Ford Taurus.

I found a new set of photos on Motor Trend's website that I think do the design more justice.

http://www.motortrend.com/road tests/sedans/112_0901_2010_for d_taurus_first_look/photo_01.h tml

I guess I'm just not a fan of that red color Ford keeps using to unveil new cars. I had the same reaction to the Lincoln MKS when they unveiled it in red last year, but then I warmed up to the design when I saw the vehicle in other colors.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1321
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>>Obligatory Auto Show thread?<<

Ouch.

VW Concept Blue sports car and Cadillac Converj.

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 494
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, goodygoodygoodygoodygoody! I love auto show season.

O.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9134
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The new Taurus is awesome looking. I am so happy to see this car looking modern and stylish, after years of being a catfish.

Ford is really on the right track with their design these days.

Pam

Post Number: 4840
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Ouch.

Why ouch? It is a yearly tradition to have an Auto show topic.

I guess I am retro, I like the "catfish" Taurus better.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1325
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your use of the word, obligatory.

All threads could lead to autos, and I'd be happy.

*hug*

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1659
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

johnlodge, do you frequent the car lounge? http://forums.thecarlounge.net /zeroforum?id=1

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9135
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gravity, no, I'll bookmark that and check it out.

I'm just happy to see car design actually involve "lines" again. The 90's era of rounded off jellybeans was hard to suffer through. And there was the ever-ready excuse of aerodynamics. Well, these cars are getting better mileage, and can actually have an angle or two on them.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1660
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i only asked because the catfish analogy is pretty prevelant on there

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3792
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gotta agree on getting rid of the jellybean look. The other extreme was the huge tail fins of the late 50s, early 60s, but cars like the '55 Ford or '57 Chevy were works of art.

For practical matters, though, love my SMALL sport utility vehicle (Ford Escape). Great gas mileage, good looks, plenty of whistles and bells, and I can haul a 4x8 sheet of plywood home from Home Depot.

Pam

Post Number: 4841
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump for Designerguy.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5122
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Taurus looks much better in red http://www.autoblog.com/2009/0 1/11/detroit-2009-ford-reveals -2010-taurus-party-like-its-19 86/

Rja2
Username: Rja2

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The new Taurus looks pretty good IMO, as does the new Buick LaCrosse. The 2 designs are similar - here's the LaCrosse: http://is.gd/fCu7

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 376
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A Stranger Walks Among Us:

Sen. Bob Corker, R-Tenn, one of the Southern Republicans who lobbied on behalf of the foreign auto makers (who receive subsidies from their own governments) against federal loans to domestic firms will attend the Auto Show in Detroit tomorrow.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 2234
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 8:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had one of those catfish Tauri. I always thought it looked more like a Coke Bottle (mine was red with black trim). The worst thing about that model were the door dings. Dammed car was a magnet for them due to its odd shaped panels. I now have a 2003 Sable which is somewhat better.

I like the new Taurus, but I also liked the 500 which nearly everyone else thought was ugly.

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 405
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I promised myself I wouldn't get caught up in all the Auto Show hoopla but...I do like seeing all the shiny new cars! As for that 2010 Taurus, I think it's a nice design and not entirely offensive to the eyes. The only qualm I have is the little indent on the rear quarter. I understand the designers were trying to bring the beltline of the car back there but it looks silly, almost as if someone dinged it.

http://image.motortrend.com/f/ 16080243/112_0901_20z+2010_for d_taurus+side_motion.jpg

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 1324
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Senator Corker visited the Auto Show today.

I wonder how he got here......

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 1035
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard him on the radio today back pedalling, saying the reason he was against the BRIDGE LOANS was because he and all the other Republicans had their own plan to save the Big Three.

As Col. Potter used to say, "what a bunch of horse-hockey!"

(Message edited by detroitej72 on January 13, 2009)

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 530
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, I live beneath a rock, and today for the first time, saw a Toyota Prius commercial. What a joke! Damn thing looks like a plastic lunch box. And then, heh heh, the commercial shows this numbskull dude taking his blonde haired beauty on a friggin picnic out in the woods - and she's all happy! Arrrrrrrgh! Stick a fork in my eye!

With that said... I must say... GM and Ford offerings seem to be much more... ummmm... realistic. And dammit we still make some pretty cool looking cars to boot.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1663
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Ford division of the Ford Motor Company seems to have an identity crisis. Are they going to go with the three chrome-bar grille as their signature grille or what? The 2010 Taurus has a variation of the grille that I can't make out what Ford was trying to do. At least with Mercury and Lincoln I know what the front of my car is going to look like.

Also, what is up with the designers at Ford as it relates to the Ford brand? They design some of the most uninspiring designs I have ever seen. That three chrome-bar grill is hideous. Could you imagine the Mustang having that grille? Do you see any other car company in the world putting out something like that? At least have three bars that have a silver but muted look like a Cadillac, not a grille that looks like three elongated mirrors. Now I must admit that I like the front of the Ford Focus because it only uses a two-bar grille. Along with the sweeping headlights, this grille gives the Focus a much more sleeker look.

In addition, what's up with front bumpers that have what I call the "frown" look instead of the "smile" look? Every car that is sporty or considered to be a luxury car tend to have an up-turned grille on its bumper. Honda messed up the Civic by giving it that frown-looking front bumper. I see that a lot of the Ford division cars are coming out with this wide-mouth, frown-looking bumper. The future Ford Fiesta has this look, even the 2010 Taurus. Frankly, it looks like the mouth of a fish, and sorry, but I do not find the mouth of a fish to be sexy or attractive.

And one final thing. What is up with Ford and the side windows in the back of their cars? While every other car company puts the back side windows in the rear side doors, Ford puts the windows behind the doors in a spot where everyone else has the roof line of the car meet the side of the car. One of the reasons that I find the Nissan Altima to be such an appealing car is because of the way the metal of the roof line comes down to meet the the edge of the rear side doors. I guess Ford wants to give its drivers the least unobstructed rear side views as possible, but this design in their cars has always been a turn-off for me. Good to see that it is gone from the 2010 Taurus. They must have got my memo.

Well, I'm done, but I can't help wonder how is it possible that Ford is supposedly in better shape than GM and Chrysler when they put out such uninspiring, non-earth-shattering designs? At least over at Lincoln, the MKS looks good. With the exception of the Mustang, the Ford divison car designs put me to sleep.

P.S. The 2010 Taurus looks good from the side, but Ford always seems to find a way to mess up a good thing when it comes to their cars(in all divisions). The grille shouldn' even have that top bar. Oh, how the car would have looked so much sleeker if the hood came down below that top bar and replaced it.

Also, what's up with the trunk? Why does it have a hump or crown? Also, why have that duck-tail look instead of having the bottom of the trunk just lay flush with the rest of the back of the car. That's a real turn-off for me.

And finally, that air intake grille/mouth is simply too wide. Clearly it's a homage to the Jaguar grille. Maybe the 2011 version of the Taurus will correct these flaws.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1664
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 1:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The 2010 Lacrosse is beautiful. Looks like a Lexus. Very pleasing lines throughout. Great front grille and intake grille/mouth. I especially like how GM has decided to augment the classis Buick grille and give it a bigger less oval shape. The current Lacrosse and Lucern demontrate this augmentation well. Prior to this change, I would never counsider a Buick. The old grille said "I am a car for old people." This new Lacrosse says, "Watch out, Sonny. I'm a Buick but I still got it."

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 922
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's tough to be successful in the large sedan market these days. The 55+ crowd seems to be the only ones buying them. Families moved to SUV's and now crossovers. As a result, you have to build a fairly conservative vehicle with a style that's appealing yet can stand the test of time.

Orange_barrel
Username: Orange_barrel

Post Number: 70
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whether you liked the show or not, one thing is for certain: this year, it was a lot easier to get around at the show. The scaling-back of the displays meant more open floor space, which made navigating the show a lot easier. Of course, the fact that there were less people there has an impact too. No lines at the coat check, etc.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 3374
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To the auto Engineers on this thread - This really seems too good to be true. Have you heard of this, and is it do-able ?
There is a link to the company's web site on the Core77 site.

quote:

We were excited when we heard about Zero Pollution Motors and their air-powered car back in '07, but with no news from them in all of '08, we assumed that they folded.

The good news is they're still cranking, and will reportedly begin taking orders this year for their air-powered cars, allegedly deliverable in 2010.

Pure Driving: The Revolutionary Compressed Air Vehicle

If you can, imagine a vehicle that runs on air, achieves over 100 gas-equivalent mpg and over 90 mph, has zero to low C02 emissions, seats six, has plenty of space for luggage, cuts no safety corners, and costs no more than an average economy to mid-size vehicle.

This is the expected performance of the revolutionary compressed air vehicle that Zero Pollution Motors (ZPM) is introducing to North America. The vehicle is powered by the Compressed Air Engine (CAE) developed by Motor Development International (MDI), a 15-year old company based in Nice, France, and headed by inventor and Formula One race car engineer, Guy Negre.

ZPM will begin taking reservations in mid-2009 for US deliveries of our compressed air vehicle in 2010.

If true, it could take some of the market share from the Chevy Volt, and other domestic electrics.

http://www.core77.com/blog/obj ect_culture/zero_pollution_mot ors_air_to_stay_12403.asp

Bigb23

Post Number: 3375
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You would think that they would have a working prototype by now, if they will start taking orders in a few months.

Here's the direct company link.

http://zeropollutionmotors.us/ ?page_id=46

Bigb23

Post Number: 3379
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any info on the Air Car ?

Detmsp
Username: Detmsp

Post Number: 58
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there are working prototypes of these cars. but to get any kind of range out of them, they had to make them really light weight... the ones i've seen are essentially golf carts with doors

Chuck_g
Username: Chuck_g

Post Number: 50
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 2:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Went today. Way scaled back from prior years, but happy Nissan and Honda didn't feel the need to bother us on the Big Three's home turf.

Anyone else intrigued by that home-built 400hp/100 mpg Mustang in the basement, next to "Jurassic Park"?

That Scion line is so cheap it's unreal, and they're shipping it 10,000 miles. Why can't we build one like that here?

Anyone else think we should tax their imports like they do ours?? That's a whole rant there!

The new Camaro is amazing, even with the 300hp V6 (0-60 in <6 seconds??). The Shelby GT500 is up to 540 HP and gets 25MPG+ on the highway.

Ford's Ecoboost motor shows promise and will be in a new version of the Taurus SHO w/350HP this Summer. Actually, the car is finally kinda sweet & doesn't look like a taxi cab.

Didn't notice Chrysler/Jeep. Used to able to spot them easily with the Jeep Mountain display. Walked right by them I'm told and didn't even know. So, is that a bad sign??

Off to eat my Ryba's fudge. An Auto Show tradition!

Bigb23

Post Number: 3382
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://jalopnik.com/5132122/th e-11-most-depressing-moments-o f-the-2009-detroit-auto-show?s kyline=true

Just because we had fun at the Detroit Auto Show doesn't mean there weren't somber moments. In fact, most moments were. Here are the 11 most depressing moments from the 2009 Detroit Auto Show.

11.) Reporters Asking Us For Jobs
While working at Jalopnik may seem like a dream job, we're sometimes treated as a curiosity by print journalists who don't understand how the web works. Not this year. The sheer number of people asking, and the flood of resumes into Wert's inbox sort of harshed our buzz.

10.) The Lack Of A Firehouse
If you want to understand the sheer impact the Carpocalypse has had on the world, consider the fact the Firehouse bar is no more. For those unaware, the "Firehouse" was a real firehouse converted by Chrysler each year into a bar where they'd pay for free drinks and food for journalists. It was a fun afterparty. The kind of place you can have Dr. Z pour you a beer or Motor Trend Editor-in-Chief Angus McKenzie lecture you on the new media landscape for an hour. The Post's "Hacks n' Flacks" BYOB (Buy Your Own Beer) after-party, while fun, just wasn't quite the same.

9.) Swag And Press Releases
Any journalist worth his or her salt could walk out of an auto show with three or four-hundred USB flash drives and lots of toys. Back in the good ol' days of, you know, last year, automakers would pass out unnecessarily ornate press packs filled with USB drives on keychains and leather-bound press releases. This year they were back to pieces of paper and discs. The nicest USB drive we received was from BYD, which promptly corrupted the files we loaded on it (no joke).

8.) Cheap Floor Space
The lack of certain automakers meant companies like Revenge were no longer relegated to Michigan Hall in Cobo's basement. The reason this is so sad is it makes it seem like DUB cars are on the same level as the new offerings from Chrysler. Well... come to think of it.

7.) Chrysler
Chrysler President Jim Press used part of his press conference to explain why Chrysler would resurrect itself and how great a job the company has done in firing people. Seriously, they laid off like thousands of people. That makes them awesome how? But that's just Jim, the rest of the company was even worse. Like Cubs fans convinced this will be their year, Chrysler's need to convince everyone they have a future with cars like the 200C EV Concept is just depressing. This is especially true when you consider they didn't have the requisite cash to mount their logo without almost killing someone.

6.) GM's Fake Rally
GM built a fake card-carrying rally with employees around their reveal on Sunday morning of the Detroit Auto Show. You know it's bad when you look around and realize they couldn't even get enough employees together to make the rally look impressive.\

5.) The Plight Of Male Booth Professionals
Since they had nothing to reveal, Lamborghini merely trotted out their typical team of hot booth professionals to pose in front of their cars. They held a press conference to do this and we, like others, took lots of photos. We felt awful for the male model as the sound of shutters clicking drastically declined when he walked on the platform. Sorry, guy who looks vaguely like a taller Mark Rufallo.

4.) Alcohol Consumption-to-New Product Ratio
There were a number of reveals this year, but not of new product. Most were concept cars of the pie-in-the-sky variety. The absence of new product on the show floor was made up for by automaker booze. Normally, we expect that type of thing in the after-hours, but this year that was cut back in favor of allowing cheaper offerings on the show floor in even greater quantities.

3.) Michigan Hall Basement Smell
Though it gave us a chance to drive the Ford Escape Plug-In Hybrid, the electric test track in the basement smelled awful. Was it the cars? No. Was it the Wayne State Formula SAE team? No. Actually, it was the mulch. The smell was so intolerable indoors, the VW booth above was forced to run their air conditioning to blow the smell out. That caused the air conditioning units to drip water into the basement, onto the track where it ran off into the mulch — thus causing the smell to become worse. By the end of the press preview, the Volkswagen booth was smelling like the inside of an abandoned Westfalia camper.

2.) Tuesday 1-12-09
Tuesday is usually a down day for the show, reserved for non-product press conferences and demonstrations. This year there was so little to report on we ended up in a two-way battle with dozens of auto reporters to get to the Tesla press conference and then again to get to Senator Bob Corker. Seriously, ou'd have thought Elon Musk and Corker were both Bono. Neither needs the added ego boost.

1.) Dead People
On the first night of the show we went out to a restaurant near Cobo to grab some food and do some work. We wandered out around 11 pm and noticed flashing police lights. We have to thank the jerk who said "Don't mind him, he's dead" and made us turn to see the lifeless body lying in the cold Detroit street because we'd have otherwise not noticed. We told the interns he was "sleeping" just to make sure they didn't go home with nightmares. Instead, we did.

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages on the DetroitYES forums. To register click the JOIN button on the Forum Menu at https://www.detroityes.com to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: