Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » What do you do in a situation like this (Eastpointe robbery/murder)? « Previous Next »
Archive through September 28, 2007Detroitrise30 09-28-07  10:49 pm
Archive through September 29, 2007Cambrian30 09-29-07  7:58 am
Archive through September 30, 2007Detroitrise30 09-30-07  12:09 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 120
Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Atwater, I never said they weren't black. I'm just saying that people always assume that the criminals are black or Detroiters before more information is revealed. Heck, they're from Mt. Clemens. I guess scumbags in the exbubrs like to come to Detroit and commit crime as well.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 942
Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the article linked above: Investigators believe one of the suspects is a 25-year-old parolee who has not been arrested. The parolee, of Mount Clemens, was captured on a store videotape, police said.

-----------------------------

Oh, SNAP! He's probably from Mt. Clemens? Man, it's a good thing that Detroitrise didn't take my bet. But it looks like I'll have to enjoy some Filet de Fedora. I apologize to you guys for assuming that they just HAD to be from Detroit.

I will say that I have made it clear in many posts that I believe bad people are everywhere, but I'll be careful in the future to try not to assume.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 123
Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank You Kathinozarks. That's all I wanted to hear.

Redwingz
Username: Redwingz

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perfectgentleman,

East Detroit a separate entity??? The working class citizens of this so-called "Pointe" had NO PROBLEM taking good paying jobs in the City of Detroit during the boom years. They sure as hell weren't working in factories within the "Eastpointe" city limits. How else would they have been able to afford their cute 1000 sq. ft. bungalows? It certainly wasn't earned by sweeping floors in one of their party stores. All of a sudden the name "Detroit" was a dirty word and they didn't want to be associated with it.

Nobody gave a shit whether East Detroit meant "the east side of Detroit within the city limits" or a different city. Even someone from Michigan who wasn't local didn't know or care. I'm surprised they didn't pack up their sidewalks and move their city north of 28 Mile Road. I figure the only reason they didn't do that was because their commute to the factories in Detroit would have been too long. Take from the City when times are good, then run and distance themselves when the City falls on hard times. They should have been proud to share their name with a great American city.

I always felt the name change to Eastpointe was a cowardly move by its people and elected officials. The last time I looked it was still sitting on 8 Mile Road, which just happens border Detroit.

A name change doesn't suddenly make it a better or safer place to live. You may call it a prince, but everyone knows it's still a toad.

As for me, I will forever be proud to have been born and raised in the City of Detroit!

Redwingz

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 900
Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 7:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The posts by Kathinozarks is a perfect example of the attitude and mindset that has allowed America to become the most violent developed country on earth.

quote:

What do you do in a situation like this? You move to the country and hope to hell that bastards like that don't come to your town.

I am truly astounded by the ignorance displayed in this post. How can any reasonable adult suggest that the solution to crime is simply running away from it, and hoping the problem won't follow? By the time I was 12 years old, I had learned that running away from problems, and hoping that they would just go away, was not a solution.

quote:

All good people of the Detroit area, run for your lives. The animals have taken over and there is no place for you.

This statement goes to a level of stupidity that I can't even comprehend. Five million residents of the Detroit area should "run for their lives" because "the animals have taken over"????

This may sound crazy to Kathinozarks, but I think that 5 million metro Detroiters working together to fight crime is a better idea than 5 million metro Detroiters running away from the problem, and hoping that it won't follow.

quote:

Detroitrise and all the other blinder-wearing fools: You have lost control of YOUR city. The criminals now outnumber you and you are sunk.

Please spare us the anti-city rhetoric, because this is an example of the increasing crime problem in the suburbs.

quote:

Do you really want to keep making excuses for bastard animals who are ruining your quality of life? I guess you have to because you are scared sh..less and powerless to do anything about it.

Are you serious??? How dare you accuse Detroiters of making excuses for criminals, being scared shitless of crime, and powerless to do anything about it?

Detroit has a large community of great people working to make this city, state, and country a better place live, despite the challenges facing us, and you can rest assured that we are not scared or powerless.
---------

It is obvious that Kathinozarks feels scared and powerless when faced with the issues in Detroit.

To be sure, Detroit has it's share of problems...
As a long-time Detroit resident, I have come to accept the negative aspects of living in the city, because I find that the benefits of living in the city more than make up for the negatives.

quote:

Wasn't there a movie about an entire city of criminals?
Who cares if the problem is worse, only criminals would live there. Big deal.

Kathinozarks,

Most of your posts on this thread are just ignorant and mis-informed, but the post above is really quite disturbing:

The "movie about an entire city of criminals" is Escape From New York, and it is a horrifying portrayal of a near future where Manhattan has been turned into a penal colony, and America is controlled by extremely corrupt politicians and De facto military rule.

quote:

Who cares if the problem is worse, only criminals would live there. Big deal.

What the fuck is wrong with you??? You are advocating the idea of turning large American cities into mega-prisons.

I strongly advise you to refrain from sharing these sociopathic ideas with others.

The scenarios depicted in Escape From New York are not something that we should aspire to.
quote:

that would be sweet! Wasn't there a movie about an entire city of criminals?

Hitler and Stalin would probably agree that this is a sweet idea, but the rest of us are just sickened by these images.

Michigan
Username: Michigan

Post Number: 1231
Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DetroitRise-

It seems to me that you are impressed with yourself. You have learned much at the feet of many great masters of the "Stupid Ideas" school of Kung fu. I see that you fight using "Circling Buffoon" style. However, my Kung Fu is too strong for you. You can not defeat me or my "Speak Truth" style Kung Fu! It has kept our temple safe from invaders for many centuries- it will protect us now!

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2662
Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These threads are sad. Sad because inevitably they all end up this way. And sad because they all involve the violent death of someone or someone's.

I understand it is natural to defend Detroit for some of you.But the evidence and the reality overwhelm any rationalization.

Detroit has, and has had a horrible crime problem for more than forty years. The numbers have been posted on another thread and Detroit is at or near the top in many categories. Things like ..."It happens everywhere"... ..." Detroit is like any other city" ..." Let's look at Chicago crime"... are all bullshit and all without merit. Because anyone with a speck of objectivity can see quickly what crime has done to Detroit.

So it is logical that the shitheads that committed this crime were from Detroit.The overwhelming majority of crime in the area is done in and by people from Detroit. And the proximity to the city also make this a logical assumption.If they are not from Detroit then it will be unusual. What it won't change is how bad crime has and continues to choke Detroit to death. Because as the bullshit declarations above about other cities being the same and crime happening everywhere are without merit so is the idea that because these criminals might no be from Detroit that somehow that changes things.It changes nothing. The simple truth is crime in the city is the problem. Crime in Detroit happens way way way more than in the suburbs.No rationalizing will change that.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 125
Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Citylover, it's that type of stupidity you have in your post that continues to make the citizens of the Detroit and Detroit itself look bad. In addition, you must haevn't read any of the thread. It was one of the exburban shitheads that came to Detroit to commit the crime. Apparently the shithead wanted something very badly or the store employees probably upset him. I know those aren't the reasons, but there has to be a reason why we would come from the exburbs to shoot and rob a store owner. As they said, if you don't feel safe, don't involve yourself. It sure isn't the people of Detroit however. As I said before, income has nothing to do with committing crimes (look at your celebrity ding-dongs). Not to mention, the same people that live in the suburbs live in the city. The only difference may be lack of law enforcement. Of course you're going to assume that it's much easier to commit crimes when you don't have to worry about getting caught. However, WHY do we have a lack of enforcement? Because your shithead parents felt that blacks didn't want you all in the city? Because you couldn't keep your valuables to yourself? (not out in the open welcoming scumbags). No, you trust that a cop will always come to the rescue, that's why you moved way out on 28 Mile and Farmore Lake Rd. So the only people to blame really your parent who left the city, taking away our tax money. Thus, letting it fall to pieces thinking you could have a functioning region without us. That's why Detroit is in the shape it's in now. We couldn't get along because you all still lived in fear of crime and/or blacks that cares less about you exburban shitheads. So saying that crime has destroyed the city is nothing when you stem it all the way back to racial segregation.

Futurecity
Username: Futurecity

Post Number: 659
Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^DR- Lame, babbling attempt at trying to shift the blame.

Detroit has outrageous crime rate because current Detroiters PREFER to be beaten, raped, robbed and murdered in record numbers each year, rather than have effective law enforcement.

Detroiters create a hostile environment towards law enforcement and cops are not going to fight just to do their job.

Want 1/2 half hour response times? well what do you expect when you hate the police? - So you got it!

Want 400 brothers murdered last year, this year, next year and on and on and on? You got it!

It's what YOU expect. It's what YOU want! It's what YOU demand!So you fucking got it!

Detroit is in the shape it is now because of the stupid asses running the place and the expectations of the stupid asses living there.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 946
Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ericd,

I'm proud to be the subject of an entire post.

My opinions stand. Stupid? Doubt it. The thread title asked a question and I gave my opinion of what I would do. Wanna make something of it? Fine.

By the by; the 'run for your lives' post was tongue-in-cheek and I guess it didn't translate well from my hands to your brain.

All other posts were my honest opinion and are open for your excellent thoughts.

Again, thanks for the mention.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 127
Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Futurecity, I love the police. They do their job. However, there only human as well. They aren't necessarily saviors like you exburbanites think. Hostile environment? I think not. Cops are trained to handle extreme crimes. If you think a Drug bust is hostile, then you haven't seen anything. Besides, what do you expect with a City Detroit size and only 5 police stations with only so many cops working on the job? What can you demand from a broke department, let along a broke city? Your post to me is nothing more than personal attacks on me not making the impossible moves.

(Message edited by Detroitrise on September 30, 2007)

English
Username: English

Post Number: 583
Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never does the lack of self-examination on the part of ALL Michiganders past and present cease to amaze me.

And then we wonder why civilized people are fleeing in droves, major corporations treat the state like a pariah, and our own children have shaken the dust from their feet.

Ladies and gentlemen, everyone with a brain or a heart has left the building. Michigan is closed for business. Thanks and have a nice day!

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 948
Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awwwwwwwww, English is going to get taken down a notch by Ericd!

Futurecity
Username: Futurecity

Post Number: 660
Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DetRise, I am attacking your attitude towards crime and law enforcement.

It is the single biggest reason crime is off the hook in Detroit.

And always will be as long as people with your attitude towards crime and law enforcement are in the majority.

You can thank yourself and your peeps as you watch the number of total murders in the city click towards 400 AGAIN this year.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 229
Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

police are post de facto
the root of the problem here folks is how kids are raised.

The criminal was arrested in Chicago at a train station just tonight. yeah

(Message edited by lefty2 on September 30, 2007)

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1622
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lefty beat me.

They picked him up on a Metra train in Chicago.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4139
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 1:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The idiot had his cell phone tracked, leading to his arrest. Some criminals are obviously dumber now than at birth.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4140
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, just where did this guy live--not just where he might have been living before the crime? He got arrested in Chicago, so he probably had ties there. It would be a bit interesting knowing the various localities he resided in since the time he was released from prison.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6612
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 1:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's what I know about a sudden violent crime in Eastpointe or should I say (East Detroit). One Chaldean owner of the Italian owned convenient store killed by a one of the two young black males who need some MONEY probably for more drugs ot settling a debt from a street pharmacist. I'm amazed to see how folks in suburbantopia have to deal the mostly black crime especially from those who mostly come from ghettos of Detroit or the suburbs. That's what happen when white flight, economic flight, government shutdown becomes our reality. Can't change ourselves, our homes, our cities, our community, our government. We are living a dying Metro-Detroit area and a dying State of Michigan. Unless we do something to improve our way of life, then we be living a world that looks like MAD MAX!

(Message edited by danny on October 01, 2007)

Greatlakes
Username: Greatlakes

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 1:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.chicagotribune.com/ news/local/chi-train_bust_30se p30,1,1830612.story?ctrack=1&c set=true
quote:

Michigan fugitive, traced by cell phone, captured at Union Station

UNION STATION - A man wanted in a killing at a party store in the Detroit area was arrested Saturday on a Metra train at Chicago's Union Station after police used cell phone tracing technology to track him.

Federal marshals and Chicago detectives swarmed the downtown station about 3:30 p.m. after being alerted by police in Eastpointe, Mich., that the fugitive, Isaiah Mayweather, 25, was believed to be in the area, said Shannon Robinson, spokeswoman for the U.S. Marshals Service.

He was sought in a holdup Thursday in which two robbers shot two clerks at Buscemi's Party Shoppe in Eastpointe, a northeast suburb of Detroit, about 10:40 p.m. One clerk died and the other is in critical condition, said Eastpointe Police Inspector John Calabrese. Michigan police have not identified the second suspect, he said.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6613
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 1:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's amazing that most cell phones have tracking devices. Only you have to do is find out about the person's identity and once the prep have used its phone to make a call the homing signal will be activated thus finding the fugitive.

Greatlakes

Post Number: 18
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 1:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More about the fugitive and the robbery/murder victims: http://staging.macombdaily.com /stories/093007/loc_shooting00 1.shtml

quote:

Police name suspect in deadly shooting

Police named a habitual felon as a suspect Saturday in the Buscemi's party store shooting that left one employee dead and another in the hospital with a bullet in his skull.

The suspect, Isaiah Mayweather, 25, of Clinton Township, has three felony convictions on his record, including armed robbery and felony firearm in 2000, and assault with intent to rob in 2003.

Mayweather was sentenced to five to 30 years in prison in 2003, and paroled in 2005.

While officers combed the region for the suspect and tried to identify his accomplice, a 4-year-old boy played with his toys Saturday with no idea his father will never come home again.

Mike Alharbi, father of two sons, 4 years old and 4 months old, was killed by a gunman just a few minutes before he closed up shop at Buscemi's party store on Gratiot north of Eight Mile Road, in Eastpointe.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1624
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 1:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why is a three time convicted felon (there has to be other crap he wasn't convicted for) on parole???????

Greatlakes

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 1:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I started this thread because I was curious what people thought would be the best way to handle a situation like this where it seems just complying with the robber's demands doesn't matter. This issue is a little personal actually as my mother (a pharmacist) was robbed by a gunman in her pharmacy for drugs and money when she worked in Livonia a few years ago. She gave him what he wanted, and he left her alone before getting caught by Livonia Police a few hours later at his apartment. The man was from Detroit (not that it matters), and the jury let him go because they felt that the police were setting him up with the drugs they found at his apartment.

But this thread isn't about that incident or about Detroit vs the suburbs. I just wanted your thoughts on this type of "no-win" scenario.

None
Username: None

Post Number: 71
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 2:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are a lot of interesting perspectives thru out this thread and others like it, but I wonder where are some of you coming from where might have you gained your perception of the issue.

I was born in Detroit just as the Vietnam war was winding down and have spent my time between the tri city's and Corktown about evenly for the last 20 years and have gained some incite as to the culture that leads to this type of behavior.

While Detroit may have her problems, Saginaw is like the place reality forgot take a drive down 46 east from 75 south and the surrounding area, the Police and Gang task force have all been laid off the fire fighters cant afford to start there trucks and the State police will not respond.

Drugs and Prostitution are an open air market anywhere near the river, the gangs run completely unopposed to any sort of law and order, killing is just a thing and is done mostly by teenage and younger old bike couriers which literary terrorize the neighborhoods with absolutely no respect for human life and blessed with a I want it Fucking now or Die Trying attitude thanks to 50 cent.

Thug life that about sums it up, I want it Fucking now or die trying, now you may dismiss this as bullshit however come to Saginaw on a Friday night over to Shooters in Shields and Saturday night in Bay city over to Wesstown and the Thug culture is in full swing attitudes like nothing you have ever seen.

However in Detroit the thug culture seems to be more relaxed and open to other peoples, Ive been into every seedy bar and strip club in this town and the Blind Pig pub crawl is my passion, I never run into such aggression as I've found in Saginaw, and it literately boils down to this get rich or die trying life style

The KKK would be proud a 65% percent abortion rate 70% incarceration rate and a 50% percent shot at being killed in the Thug life, you have to wonder is it the food chain at work or are these people really that stupid to buy into this shit

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1585
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 3:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jesus, how many new Karls are there on DYes now?

None

Post Number: 72
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 3:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My name is James and I live on Michigan near Livernois, you refer to me as karl again and were going to get to know each other real well understand mayor, I'm not some bitch shill spewing talk radio points, so piss off

Lombaowski
Username: Lombaowski

Post Number: 66
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

None>Interesting input on Saginaw as compared to Detroit.

I agree with you to the degree that Detroit is a much more relaxed ghetto atmosphere and I feel safer in most of Detroit than I would in the First Ward of Saginaw or in a few neighborhoods off Holland.

However Saginaw is a lot smaller and although the atmosphere is a lot more aggressive, the bad neighborhoods are mostly confined to the east side which can’t be bigger than the area from Fenkell to 7 mile and Wyoming to Greenfield. You could take Saginaw and drop it on the west side of Detroit and it would fit right in. You’d have your Brightmoor (east side) and your Warrendale (West Side) and your Livonia (Saginaw township). Problem is that I think in Detroit the ghetto is all around. If it’s not in your front yard you are going to have difficulty walking two blocks and not finding it. Saginaw is not like that. You have the ward, then the area on the numbered streets from Lapeer to Holland and then east to Genesee. Outside of that area the other parts of Saginaw are at worst looking like SW Detroit and more than not looking like the Westside of Detroit in the 70s.

Saginaw a city that I think has always has racial problems, is now having to deal with the black population moving across the bridge to the Westside and then the folks on the west side moving out to the township. Sound familiar? This happened to Detroit in the 60s and 70s and Flint in the 80s. So Saginaw today is Detroit in 1965 on a much smaller scale. I wasn’t alive in 1965 but I’m guessing it was pretty intense in Detroit. Flint of the three is the most relaxed and probably have had the least racial tensions over the years but Flint is a very violent city as well. Flint I think has suffered from it’s proximity to Detroit and the drug trade that runs to the far north of Michigan of which Flint plays a major roll.

And as you very astutely pointed out, the “thug life” stuff is just compounding the problem. All the problems Detroit had in the 60s are happening in Saginaw today but back in the 60s we didn’t have the get rich or die trying opportunity. Blacks in the 60s had a lot less opportunity and a lot less hope to become equal residents in neighborhoods. I think back in the day kids in the ghetto had dreams. Maybe they’d have their own house some day or have a career or something…now nothing. I swear young kids in the ghetto have no dreams and it’s extremely sad for me to see.

FWIW and for background, I grew up in Franklin Park, my Mom is from Saginaw, and I’ve recently worked in Flint, Saginaw, and Detroit in mostly in poor neighborhoods.

Schnicky
Username: Schnicky

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was born, and raised in the City Of Detroit. I lived in the city until a few years after getting married. I remember the city during the war. As a small kid I remember my Dad taking us downtown Detroit to see the pretty Christmas lights, also the Thanksgiving Day parade, with the Santa going up to the Hudson Building, and given the key to the city. It's a shame that all that is now gone, however the memory is, and will always be there of the city. I still go there from time to rime, I guess expecting to see someone that I once knew, however it never happens. I remember they used to let us kids in to see the ballgame free after the 4th inning. I also remember when I was in the area, and someone hit a home run, I've seen the ball bouncing on the streets of Michigan, and Trumbull.

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 496
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

None...Nice work

None

Post Number: 75
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lombaowski

Thats a great movie, I relate to it on a lot of different levels, however Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas seems to sum up my days lately, got to find a new habit

Thug Life> Get Rich or Die trying.
Involves more than just a marginalization of a zip code and transcends social or racial stereotypes to a large degree 80% of all hard core hip hop is sold to pinks in the suburbs this is not by mistake

Dr. Paul Joseph Goebbels
Would be proud of the Empire MTV has built;

United States: MTV: Music Television is the number one network with young adults 18-24, and the world's first 24-hour video music network. Through its graphic look, VJs, music and news specials, documentaries, as well as its original programming, MTV has become an institution of pop culture and the best network to reach young people. In addition to music, MTV has numerous on- and off-air public service initiatives covering topics from youth violence to voter registration to discrimination to HIV/AIDS. MTV US is seen in 82 million households and reaches 80% of the nation's 12-34 year olds.
Web site: http://www.mtv.com

Can you Imagine the power to manipulate so many minds with so much bullshit 24 hours a days 7 days a week 365 days a year the mass marketing of an entire generation of impressionable minds, Paris Hilton 50 cent need I say more

What to wear, What to say, What to THINK how to act who to date what to drive and the beat goes on. It's not the People that are Bad its the shit that fills their every conscious thought and flows thru their subconscious dreams at night like so much toxic waste

Dont blame the Peoples, Blame the propaganda masters at marketing 101 for selling this filth to propagate a war upon the Peoples of the World for profit, They are the true destroyers of civilization as we know it

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1365
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

None, I am late in welcoming you to DetroitYes, so please accept my tardy, but sincere, salutation. I very strongly agree with the overall points at which you have been driving with your posts on this thread. There is little hope available, given the zestful enthusiasm with which so many of "our young people" buy into a culture reeking of homicide, suicide, fratricide, sensuality at the expense of spirituality, and Love Of Money. It is truly a Death Culture, and a cliff off of which hordes of people are rushing to jump.

(Message edited by ravine on October 01, 2007)

English
Username: English

Post Number: 584
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

None & Ravine, thanks for providing some introspection here. This is tragic, and I have zero sympathy for thugs. But our whole "treat 'em like the animals they are" mentality has made the United States into the nation that has the highest percentage of its citizens locked up.

Individuals must suffer the consequences for their actions, but our late-capitalist consumer culture is soulless and leaves people with no dreams. "Get Rich or Die Trying?" 30 years ago, kids from the same American ghettos sang "You may not drive a great big Cadillac... you may not have a car at all... just remember, brothers and sisters, you can still stand tall." The genetic pool in the ghetto hasn't suddenly taken the next step in evolution... or have they?

I was far more judgmental of thug culture until I started teaching kids outside of it. The same soulless, consumerist, I-got-mine, I'll-step-on-you-to-get-more mentality is not just the province of inner city kids with no options. Someday, I'll write a book about 00's suburban teenagers. The drug use, the suicide attempts, and the delusion is rampant. There is no sense of community, civic virtue, or common cause in our cities OR our suburbs... precisely the opposite of 1940s and 1950s America. Our isolated, individualist way of life would be alien to our ancestors of 2-3 generations ago, no matter WHAT our ethnicity. And no wonder. We've spent the past 2 million years as a species evolving to work together. Guess we're taking the next big leap, huh?

We point at the fall of the Iron Curtain as evidence that communism wasn't viable. We believe that our civilization is the culmination of human thought, and we can rest on our laurels without any introspection. 100 years from now, let's see if capitalism and the free market is still on its pedestal... or if its epitaph has been written. "The End of History", indeed.

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 194
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"But our whole "treat 'em like the animals they are" mentality has made the United States into the nation that has the highest percentage of its citizens locked up."

Largely due in part to how other countries sentence their criminals. Whether it be capital punishment or cruel and unusual, it definitely has a lasting impression which deters repeat offenders. Too bad the little leg huggers of this nation find that 30 years behind bars is the equivalent of murdering a person in cold blood. And we all sit here and ponder what it will take to prevent this growth towards self destruction. Way, way to much leniency towards 100% guaranteed convicted felons. If you did it, sorry bub, that was your only chance. Currently we have to pay for prisoners through taxes, rehabilitate them (that probably has a 25% success rate), and let them out early (why don;t we escort them to their next crime) and then welcome them back into the prisons for another free ride. Doesn't that seem just pathetic. Granted, many individuals might be salvageable. I am not the person to decide that. But for people whose only skill in life is to destroy and take lives, sorry, but you gotta go. SET A *&^%ING EXAMPLE!
English - I have to say that the remainder of your post was very well put. It more or less sums up what I think about the entire shift in perception towards life by the incoming generations. This "individualism" culture will be a very hard thing to overcome when coupled with a growing world population and a misconstrued perception of what "Freedom" really means. Look at where eco-terrorists and school shootings are founded. In these people heads they are 100% absolutely right and they are willing to die for their beliefs. It's not wrong that people die for their beliefs. It is what the beliefs are that need to be judged. But, as the population grows, there will be many, many more of these smaller sects of people who develop beliefs. Kinda hard to blame them with how backwards some things are in this country and world ($$$). But there is no way we will NOT see more radical thoughts and attitudes with a growing population. It is a law-of-averages.

And then you have to account for the US being a mixing bowl as opposed to a melting pot. To many cultural carry-ons and not enough patriotism and loyalty to ones country amongst the growing and everly diverse population. That right there is friction in the flesh.

Missnmich
Username: Missnmich

Post Number: 617
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They caught the other guy, as this update from the News states:

Second suspect arrested in Eastpointe restaurant shooting

The Detroit News

EASTPOINTE -- The second suspect in the fatal shooting at The Original Buscemi's restaurant last week has been arrested, police said Monday.

Winfred Roger Phillips, 28 of Detroit, was arrested at 4 p.m. Monday at a relative's home in the 300 block of Donald in Grand Rapids.

Sorry guys, but he's from Detroit.
Someone owes Kathinozarks $2.50.

(Message edited by missnmich on October 01, 2007)

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 888
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good work by the police in Eastpointe, GR, and Chicago. They tracked down these guys pretty fast. I kind of figured that they'd get caught, but not this quickly.

(Message edited by rjk on October 01, 2007)

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 958
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eh, heh heh heh.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2282
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So it turns out one of the guys was from Detroit afterall...

not that it matters really...but I think Detroitrise might owe Kathinozarks an apology

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10345
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why would anyone owe Kath an apology when her initial assumption was that they were both from Detroit?

Her claim was that they were probably form Detroit which makes her wrong since only one was from Detroit. It may be semantics but Kath's claim was incorrect. I don't think anyone owes her an apology.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2283
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah, and I bet the decision to go and murder a pizza store employee for a few bucks was probably the product of the thug mentality of Clinton Township, MI...

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10349
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thug mentality exists in many places in SE Michigan beyond Detroit.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 121
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr. MAYWEATHER photo and conviction record.

http://www.state.mi.us/mdoc/as p/otis2profile.asp?mdocNumber= 311753

Mr. MAYWEATHER's parole officer:
Mt. Clemens Parole Office

Carolynn Wilson, Supervisor
76 South Main Street

Mt. Clemens, MI 48043

(586) 493-5870

(586) 463-0410 FAX
---
Mr Phillips conviction record:
http://www.state.mi.us/mdoc/as p/otis2profile.asp?mdocNumber= 304357

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 3323
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So once again the system knowingly released some thugs that would probably re-offend and claim more victims. Great.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 964
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Why would anyone owe Kath an apology when her initial assumption was that they were both from Detroit?"
----------------------

Jt1, thejesus and missnmich were being funny. You know, like, "someone owes Kath a biiiig apology!" (spoken in sing-song with head cocked to one side, a knowing look on face, and hands on hips). See, doing it like that makes it kind of cute.

No harm done, and I certainly don't need/want/expect an apology for anything.

It's all good.:-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.