Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Ohio sucks... aka AmySaunders is Satan. « Previous Next »
Ignorant piece on Detroit Rhymeswithrawk10-06-07  12:40 am
Archive through October 04, 2007Johnlodge30 10-04-07  8:56 am
Archive through October 03, 2007Oakmangirl30 10-03-07  5:08 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Raggedclaws
Username: Raggedclaws

Post Number: 70
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regarding accuracy:

Wig shops...check
Abandoned bldgs...check
barbed-wire parking lots...check
prostitiutes....check
lack of large scale enclosed retail shopping area...check

All true. The rest is simply her opinion as to the relevance of it all to her life/lifestyle.

How is her opinion relevant to any of us ?

No need for a road trip. Allow her to have an opinion and instead do something constructive. Take your family for a "riverwalk". Supposed to be beautiful today...

Aoife
Username: Aoife

Post Number: 27
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't be offended by this flake- she is just a transplanted suburbanite looking for a little street cred. Nobody cares about the opinion an incredibly average girl from a town they have never heard of. Detroit is somewhere- people know it, and it has cache. She has to use it, because she does not have anything else to offer- at least not prose-wise. She is like a seventh grader who hasn't mastered the use of wit or sarcasm, so she attempts to appeal to her peers by going after an easy target, ripping it apart in an effort to seem clever. Which, obviously, didn't work.

It really speaks volumes about the Columbus Dispatch if that is what they think is fit to pass into print. Columbus comes of looking worse than Detroit- I would rather be represented by a city with a lot of serious problems, but actual significance, than a second-tier city that takes pleasure in picking over the misfortunes of others.

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 456
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Why did Macy's leave anyway? Work on that.

Probably because of the ginormous Easton Town Center complex in Northeast quadrant of Columbus....huge..."lifestyle" open-air and indoor shopping, entertainment and living megaplex. I can't imagine any downtown surviving in a traditional retail sense with something like that sucking the people out to it (albeit still in the city).

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 809
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She just got a letter from me. Stupid girl.

Vas

Post Number: 810
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah I told her the worst reflection on Detroit is the fact that you grew up here and became a Buckeye who is so quick to disparage her hometown.

Detroitrulez

Post Number: 458
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone received a reply? Does she know we are road-tripping there to express our outrage?

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 380
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I actually think there are adults in Columbus reading this forum thinking, "What a bunch of 4th graders."

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1750
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't imagine any downtown surviving in a traditional retail sense with something like that sucking the people out to it (albeit still in the city).

Yeah, there is a reason there aren't any *real* malls in Manhattan... hint, hint, don't put malls downtown, Detroit!

Vas

Post Number: 811
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dds, we're the 4th graders? Not her piece that started this?

whats up with all you people sticking up for this rubbish? This thread is really showing the Detroit lovers and Detroit haters.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2527
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A lot of you need to ask yourselves if you wouldn't agree with Amy Saunders a little more IF Detroit wasn't your hometown.

Many of this thread's responses simply reflect a knee-jerk "it's my hometown, right or wrong" attitude.

Just because it's your home doesn't make it the greatest place on the planet. Some posters drink a little too much "Detroit Kool-Aid."

Vas

Post Number: 812
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fury, What is wrong with you people going after other folks on this thread?

no shit, this is our hometown and we support it.

Is that now bad? Do people need to be attacked on this thread because of this? You people just like fighting.

Raggedclaws
Username: Raggedclaws

Post Number: 71
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

4th graders ? My daughter is a 4th grader. She understands both the context of and the spirit with which the article was written.

So I have a question for the roadtrippers: exactly what part of your argument requires physical proximity to the author of the article ?

Some of you sound like mouth-breathers to me...

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 214
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

So I have a question for the roadtrippers: exactly what part of your argument requires physical proximity to the author of the article ?

The part where I ask her on a date.

Vas

Post Number: 813
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Context of? Spirit of? Next thing people are going to call her a journalist, and her integrity. This is laughable.

Its an article ripping our city. From a girl that has driven through it once and went to a few Tigers games.

Why are people attacking those that are trying to stick up for their hometown?

thats the real question

Its crazy.

Dds

Post Number: 382
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Dds, we're the 4th graders? Not her piece that started this?

The way many of the forumers here trash the suburbs? If someone was to come here and say "I love Farmington Hills and you shouldn't speak negatively about it!" Most everyone would be jumping at the chance to point out every minute problem with Farmington Hills and why no one should live there. What's the difference? The knee-jerk reaction Fury13 referred to is quite similar to the typical 4th grade "I know you are but what am I?"

People can say bad things about anywhere.

Intelligent people who read poorly written/edited dreck like that can make an intelligent decision. It's the idiots that believe everything they read in the papers, and therefore wouldn't come to Detroit because of an article like this, that we don't want here in the first place.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1752
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just because it's your home doesn't make it the greatest place on the planet. Some posters drink a little too much "Detroit Kool-Aid."

Whatever. Say something sideways about New York to a true native as an outsider and watch them hand you your ass. It can be true or not. I'm personally glad to see so many people defending the D, like is done everywhere else.

Btw, about time Chicago bought itself a legacy with all that corruption money they charge, don't you think?

(Message edited by iheartthed on October 04, 2007)

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10379
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fury - Some of the talk here is ridiculous but the real issue is that she is representing herself as an ex-Detroiter when it is apparent from her writing that she knows nothing about the city and has spent very little time in the city proper.

People can say what they want but they should represent their articles with actual knowledge. Driving through Detroit once does not make her an expert or an ex-Detroiter.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 132
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey folks, Amy simply wrote an opinion piece and in comparison to some of the postings on this site, her comments were pretty mild.

Last night I saw a couple of hookers, parked in a lot surrounded by razor wire while I went shopping for some new wigs, so what exactly did she say that was untrue?

So, maybe she's a little young and inexperienced to the real joys here in the MotorCity, but that doesn't make her Satan. It just makes her uninformed.

I mean, heck, she didn't cause the city to fork out $6 million like our Mayor has done. She didn't shoot anyone in a PartyStore or even raised our water rates. Amy Saunders is the least of our worries.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2925
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know much about Columbus. but every time I drive through Cincy while driving down 75, I stop in for some tasty Cincinnati Chili over spaghetti with the grated cheese on top. Mmmmmm. Something about having the real thing. Skyline is really good for it.

Dds

Post Number: 384
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Btw, about time Chicago bought itself a legacy with all that corruption money they charge, don't you think?

I bet the folks over at ChicagoYES! are up in arms about that statement.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1753
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bet the folks over at ChicagoYES! are up in arms about that statement.

Good. :-)

Vas

Post Number: 814
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome,

Amy Saunders makes sure Detroit isn't seen as a city struggling to its feet, but a dead one. Amy Saunders augments why Comerica Bank had trouble recruiting people to come here. Amy Saunders just put doubt into the minds of Ohioans thinking about visiting Detroit for the Grand Prix/Jazz Fest, or a Blue Jackets game, or Greenfield Village and the Motown museum.

does she not deserve some of the rough comments on this site, yes. Did she cause the implosion of our city? No. But is she kicking it while its slowly getting up? YES

Amy Saunders is not the least of our worries. Shes part of everything that needs to change.

Fury13

Post Number: 2531
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I bet the folks over at ChicagoYES! are up in arms about that statement."

A good question to pose is: why is there no Chicago YES? For that matter, why is there no New York YES?

Because people from those cities don't have a collective inferiority complex like we do (oh, maybe some Chicagoans have New York envy, but that's a minor point).

We get all defensive about Detroit and reject very valid points that the city is in poor shape and doesn't offer a superior quality of life, despite recent and ongoing improvement.

Yes, the writer was categorical; yes, she stereotyped and generalized. Yes, she's not from Detroit proper and has little experience with "life in the D."

It doesn't matter. Anyone can write anything. You don't need a license from the City or certification of having lived here to write about Detroit.

She simply chronicled her impressions. And that's important. It's how Detroit appeared to her (and I daresay, how it still appears to many people who don't live or work here every day). It's simply what she saw, from her vantage point -- a typical vantage point.

We in this area have long way to go -- not just in terms of physical revitalization, but in terms of our own attitudes.

Dds

Post Number: 385
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amen.

quote:

A good question to pose is: why is there no Chicago YES? For that matter, why is there no New York YES?

Maybe their ruins aren't so fabulous?

(Message edited by dds on October 04, 2007)

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1754
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It may not be in the format of [insert city]YES!, but there are plenty of forums like this for New York. I'm a member of one for NYC. There are plenty of comparisons drawn between New York and what other cities have, and there is even a New York complex when comparing the pros and cons against international cities like London and Paris (e.g. NYC's congestion pricing plan, London's ring of steel, etc., etc.).

The primary difference between this and those other forums is that Detroit centered forums often take on a defeatist tone...

Wirt
Username: Wirt

Post Number: 64
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just in that lovely mall ..right next to the State Capitol..in downtown Columbus last month and it was pretty depressing.

I was amazed and thought immediately of Summit Place.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 496
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First of all,

I am not going to bash Columbus, never been there, probably never will.

Just because she was scared of the big bad D, didn't mean she had to bash it like that!

Screw her!

I will saw it again, Detroit is the most unique city in America, and one of the most in the world.

It rose, and fell and will rise again.

If that dumbass broad had in inkling of culture in her tiny sponge of a brain, she would've move to Cincinnati, or Cleveland.

Name one U.S. city with as much history as Detroit, and you will name cities in the top five.......................and where is Columbus.

I live in NY, and when I tell them I am from Detroit, New Yorkers will say yah or nay; say your from Columbus and they will say "Middle America" as a whole!

And in New York, as a whole is really as(s)(w)holes!

<313>

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4652
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go Browns.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1759
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in NY, and when I tell them I am from Detroit, New Yorkers will say yah or nay; say your from Columbus and they will say "Middle America" as a whole!

You get a lot of Detroit admiration from the younger heads in NYC...

ETA: Walking around the city, in order of volume you'll see Yankees caps, Mets caps, White Sox caps and Tiger caps...

(Message edited by iheartthed on October 04, 2007)

Detroit313

Post Number: 497
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do see a lot of the old english D in New York.

Haven't seen s sox cap yet, been here for four years now.

But forum runners remember, OHIO will always be beneath Michigan:-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-)

<313>

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3750
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Warriorfan, you need to be able to understand figurative language, hyperbole, etc. Those are just expressions of everyone's frustration, and yes, perhaps one or two of us would follow through on them...but put this in context.

Gsgeorge

Post Number: 215
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

perhaps it was a little "heat of the moment" to call her Satan, but I don't regret saying anything else. It just angers me to hear this crap from someone who has clearly never experienced Detroit beyond a day trip to see a concert.

Those of you who think we're being a little harsh-- get used to it. You know where you are, you know what you're getting into when posting here. Lighten up a bit and join the fun.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3752
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dude, I guess it's impossible to know because we aren't talking and we're communicating in type, but I used figurative language in describing figurative language. I'm pretty sure nobody is going to roll down to Columbus to beat her up or anything. I don't take trips to Ohio unless they're forcible.

Gsgeorge is correct. If there is any problem with this thread, though, it's that all of us who are so revolted by her column are basically preaching to the choir here.

Gsgeorge

Post Number: 219
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mac, I take road trips to Ohio to get illegal fireworks across the border and watch Bob Dylan if he happens to make a stop in Toledo. Beyond that...

Fury13

Post Number: 2543
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like Ohio.

Vas

Post Number: 815
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Warriorfan,

Just like you hide behind the internet to call me a retard, others are going a bit overboard with Amy S. and having a bit of fun with it. So go ahead and call names, but when others do, you have no ground to stand on.
Its really quite simple, and let me break it down for depressed, negative people who can't handle Wayne state downtown living or a CA boy.

Someone trashed talked our town, someone is cutting into our town's comeback, so we as people that live here and want Detroit to get better, have gotten upset and defended our hometown.
Sure people go overboard with sensitvity towards Detroit and its treatment, but if I've ever seen a piece worthy of our wrath it is this one. This was a straight low blow after low blow, none the less from a former Detroiter, coming cuteously via Ohio. We stick together and stand up for our town. Veiled physical threats....well hey she said she wa saddened when St. Louis topped us in crime. So isn't this what she wanted?

Detroitrulez

Post Number: 461
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there's a "comeback"? and was she really cutting into it?

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 145
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

gosh, the stuff you find on google.

amyss

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5005
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hate Ohio. Hell, I'd rather be in Albania

Gsgeorge

Post Number: 222
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Warriorfan deleted his post? What?

PS - for those of you who didn't catch it, some great anti-Amy Saunders stuff over at:
https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/115165.html?1191608118

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 938
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go to Columbus to discover America. (But, you'll have to endure those f______ slow Ohio drivers in the passing lane for 150 miles.)

Johnlodge: You actually like Skyline Chili? Yuck. It's like ordering a Scotch and lemonade. Ruins both good chili and pasta. Never meant to be.

Ghetto_butterfly
Username: Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 757
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't Ohio the state that you only go to if you HAVE to drive through it?

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 934
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge: You actually like Skyline Chili? Yuck. It's like ordering a Scotch and lemonade. Ruins both good chili and pasta. Never meant to be.

Word. Why go to Skyline when you can go to Lafayette Coney? :-)

Jvhockey99
Username: Jvhockey99

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

amyksaunders@gmail.com

have had it guys

Hockey_player
Username: Hockey_player

Post Number: 366
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You've had what?

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 1866
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't see that a lot of what she wrote is untrue. It's how she said it. Here's my 'favorite' statement from her article:

quote: "Detroit is never going to be a nice city again."

A statement like this shows that she really mixes fact and a negative opinion in her article as if they are the same thing.

We can say that Detroit has a lot of problems. Also that downtown and surrounding areas and the riverfront are improving... are 'coming back' if you will.

If she is guilty of anything, it's that she can't or won't distinguish between fact and opinion. I understand the criticism of her article, because I think everyone is reacting to her tone. She went beyond commentary to just plain abuse... and not in an objective way.

(Message edited by llyn on October 06, 2007)

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2318
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The fact that people are getting so defensive is really just validating what she's saying...

people only get defensive over comments when there's some truth to them...

if you guys don't like her comments and think they were incorrect, then just ignore them

Detroit313

Post Number: 498
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The biggest insult to the city of Detroit is that it produced a person like her.

<313>

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 826
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Warriorfan deleted his post? What?

No I did not delete my post. It was deleted by Lowell because I called somebody a mean name, like I'm the only one who does that.

The only thing I'll add is that if Amy's article had been about bashing Oakland County instead of Detroit, the same people attacking her would be applauding her as a hero.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 207
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Absolutely.
Had she bashed Canton, Rochester Hills, or Shelby, she'd then be the OPPOSITE of Satan.
I DARE anyone to try arguing otherwise without being a hypocrite.

Gsgeorge

Post Number: 224
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did anyone receive a reply from Amy?

Southen
Username: Southen

Post Number: 300
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didnt receive a reply.

Of course people on here likely wouldnt care, just as on the Freep boards most people would go off. DY forumers are people who are passionate about the city, mostly, so when something like this comes about it hits harder here.

What I take issue with isnt what city shes criticizing so much, although in this case its Detroit, its her broad generalizations. This is someone who clearly never gave the city a chance and other then driving through once she never experienced it. Clearly though people on this site are more enthusiastic and passionate about the city to the reaction is going to be much harsher here than on another site.

TheJesus: Why does there have to be truth to comments to get defensive over them? Lets say I accused you of being a homosexual (dont read into it, just an easy example), If you adamantly denied it and tried correcting me could I assume that theres some truth there? I dont buy into that logic at all.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.