Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Paradise Lost - Lakeside Trailer Park and Marine Hospital » Paradise Lost - Lakeside Trailer Park and Marine Hospital - 2 « Previous Next »
Paradise Lost - Lakeside Trailer Park and Marine Hospital - 3Brenda81 11-18-07  9:46 pm
Archive through February 26, 2008286marlborough30 02-26-08  5:00 pm
Archive through July 28, 2008Molly30 07-28-08  7:35 pm
Archive through August 23, 2008Carol_f30 08-23-08  7:25 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Ron_saad
Username: Ron_saad

Post Number: 140
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worked there when you did. I worked at the Marina side.

Carol_f
Username: Carol_f

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting. Were you in high school at that time? Did I see that you are related to Patricia Saad? My best friend was Vickie and she had a good friend named Pat Saad who I believe went to St. Martin's. Did you know the guy Mike who was the "cook" when I worked there. Remember we had "real" french fries made from fresh potatoes. Certainly a thing of the past.

Ron_saad

Post Number: 141
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 7:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pat was my cousin. I remember Mike. There was an older lady who worked there that lived in the Trailer Park. I can't remember her name right now.

Ron_saad

Post Number: 142
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 7:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I graduated from St.Martin's in 1970 (The last graduation class)

Carol_f

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The lady from the trailer park was Mrs. Murdoch--can't remember her first name. It was funny, she was so nice, but as kids growing up we thought we was a witch (Wizard of Oz). She hated us playing outside her house. I got a totally different perspective working with her years later. I graduated from Osborn in 1969. Explains why I didn't know you from Guyton.

Carol_f

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did I see that you live in Flint, MI? Also, the house you lived in next to Tommy's--I think the Darlings lived in that house when I was a kid. Charlene Darling was the daughter. She was my brother's age I think.

Ron_saad

Post Number: 143
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep that was her! The house next to Tommy's burned also.
I only went to Guyton for kindergarten.

Carol_f

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And I would have been an upperclassman (1st grade). Who was your kindergarten teacher. I think mine was Mrs. Krupp (something like that).
My dad fished with Tommy's boats always. But I didn't come back to the Marina side anymore. When we were really young (10-12) we used to flirt with the guys Tommy hired for the summer. Tommy chased us away more than once :-). Guess I learned to stay away--he was scary :-).

Ron_saad

Post Number: 144
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yea you did flirt with me.

Carol_f

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am sure I did :-). You probably knew Frank and Johnny-Tommy's nephews I think. They worked there sporadically.

Ron_saad

Post Number: 145
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 7:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I new Frank real good.
We had a blast together.

Ron_saad

Post Number: 146
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 7:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I knew Frank real good.
We had a blast together.

Carol_f

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frank was a bit older I think. He was a nice guy. Did you know Tom Dankaert? His folks owned Dankaert's Hardware? He worked there as well but earlier--not sure if it was before your time.

Ron_saad

Post Number: 147
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't remember him.
Didn't Josie marry Frank's Dad? Or lived with them after Tommy died.

Carol_f

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not sure. I had a friend Cheryl (Shanny) Zgol--she was related to Josie and also worked there but don't remember when. She would probably know, but I haven't talked to her in a while. Could be as Frank was related on Tommy's side--Josie was Polish and Tommy Italian obviously. Was Frank's dad, Tommy's brother?

Ron_saad

Post Number: 148
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, their last name was Serra.

Carol_f

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's right now I remember. Haven't talked to Shanny in quite a while so I am not sure if she ever told me about what Josie did after Tommy died. I remember her telling me that Tommy passed away. Maybe it was sister's family.

Guyton
Username: Guyton

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived at 691 Piper and 310 Manistique-alot of what everyone is talking about is familiar.

Flip
Username: Flip

Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guyton, 310 manistique ?? who might you be ?? what years did you live there ??

Guyton

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My name is Gary Gillow-this is a very neat site-talked to a fella Mike Mooney we knew alot of the same people..I probably would even recognize him...

Cgoodger
Username: Cgoodger

Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello again Flip...I took your advice and started searching through the threads...my mom and I read for hours last night and she was sharing all the memories she had of the neighborhood when she was a child. She has alot of the same memories as most of the people here...including you!

For those of you who dont know...my mother is Donna Lee Durie (Murray) and my grandfather had a store named Al's and also Donna Lee's Sweet Shop. Flip has been so kind to share memories he had of my family...she was telling me last night about the alleys, the man who came around and sharpened knives, and the man that came around selling fruit...etc...etc...etc!!!!

I must say...you are all very lucky to have such wonderful memories of your childhoods....it seems like such a wonderful time to have grown up (and in such a wonderful neighborhood)!!!!

Guyton

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Flip I was reviewing the Posts-I see you remember my brother Donny.

Flip

Post Number: 14
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gary, I'm a cousin of randy kozicki ! how are you ? may dad worked with your ada at chrysler jefferson assembly many moons ago ! How's your brother donny ! Great guy ! had many adventures with Randy's brother David ! many I remember ! Gary, we are old enough to have grand children , these days ! donnie was a golden gloves boxer years ago ! good to see you here gary ! the eastside has many great memories ! Gary do you remember the walkers ?? or Deb fuson or sue who lived on the corner house on manistique and korte ? or theMc Clenons ? Stickman or his younger brother Kenny ??

Guyton

Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember all those kids..I have my first Grand kid actually-sadly Donny passed away a few years back-war related injuries-he did two tours over there (ALERP long range recon) he had a military funeral in Florida-he had quite a service record-he saw alot of combat. Yea Stickman (I think his real name was Norman.

Guyton

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea Donny was in his heyday when was about 16 years old-he used to train real hard...the only time I saw him fight was against this guy by the name of "Buddy" by Carstens elementary...he was a head taller than Donny and was always sending out word he was gonna kick his butt for the fun of it...Donny got me on the Chalmers bus..he said he wanted me to see something..Donny smoked this guy(I mean left hooks body shots etc)...a couple of people were gonna jump in and a guy named Eddie Barnett made sure no one intervened..Donny and Eddie has a real freindship after that...

Ron_saad

Post Number: 149
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 5:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to hang out with Randy.

Guyton

Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I lived at 691 Piper (Freud) I used to pick up a few groceries for my mom-or go into the Sweet Shop (Donna Lees)-I was probably around six or seven-Al was a great guy--I was always raised to say yes sir or no sir--he would always throw a few pieces of penny candy-or a candy bar in my bag.It is funny how times flies

Flip

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ron_saad ,

You used to hang with randy ! wow ! did you remember the families on manistique ? What years did you guys hang together ?

Guyton

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yea..befor I head off...Donnies story was a happy ending he lived his last ten years in Florida in complete sobriety...when he cam back from Vietnam he was a heroin addict (Had schrapnel wound in his knee -partial disability)--he later became an alcoholic,,was working in Texas and had a massive seizure(there was a piece of schrapnel in head head that was not removed-and was related to the seizure)-he was on heavy seizure meds and collecting full disability. He met a fellow Vet who had a lot of property-he let Donny purchase a huge double-wide trailer-and live on his property for next to nothing.When I last visited him we would walk for miles (he would hobble) and he would do massive amounts of pushups (which I am sure he was not supposed to do)--he would hit the speed bag also -he could still make it sing. He told me he did a lot of things he was not proud off-he was at piece.

Flip

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guyton !
Really sorry that Donnie has Passed, he deserved a better break than that !

Thanks for that update about Donnie, he was A good guy ,
sometimes it was like trouble always followed him ! Did you ever hear the story About him and Dave K. getting in trouble and him and David wer taken to the Fifth prec house, where one of them used their call, and told the other to run down the block and tell their mom to also bring bail money for them, then the other used his phone Call to order pizza from gino's on jeff, and the pizza kid brought it to them ! they had been drinking, and i guess they were hungry !! LOL that story has been around for some time coming from various family members and old friends !
you know that dave and bob merit have passed too ! they were very young to be leaving so soon !
Thanks Gary Good to hear from you ! ~FLIP~

Ron_saad

Post Number: 150
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived at 418 Manistique during the 60's and 70's.
Randy lived next door to the Lacovali's between Avondale and Korte.

Guyton? Did you buy the groceries at Saad's Market.

Guyton

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saad's was Eastlawn and Freud-I think-yea-I used to shop there-groceries pop and stuff. I remember playing Baseball in alleys -a sewer might be home plate-a telephone pole might be first or third...a lot of balls went into other people's yards... hopped alot of fences...I lived next door to the (0n Manistique)Lanzi's his Dad was a fireman..they may have been one of the first families to move out...

Guyton

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh now I remember Saad's that was the store across from the Subway Market-yea I went there a lot.

Ron_saad

Post Number: 151
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No Saad's was on Eastlawn and Freud, Down from Donna' Lee's on Coplin. Across from Subway on Manistique was another name.
We owned the store. I graduated with Ray Lanzi.

Guyton

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea you are bringing back memories-across from the Subway was "Sam's market. I knew the Lanzi's pretty well I hung out with Bill a little-I used hang out with a kid named Richard Dionne a lot. I wasn't a loner but I kinda went my own way. I was always the fastest kid in the neighborhood (if you google Gary Gillow-I still do alot of runs-half marathons etc.)Sometimes I would just take off and run to Angel Park-and jump in the river to cool off.....I loved to fish a lot also from the shore.

Ron_saad

Post Number: 152
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 7:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You sound like me. I was also the fastest in the neighborhood. When did you graduate Gary? I fish there a lot too. I also worked at Tommy's Marina.

Guyton

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dropped out of Southeastern High-in the 12th grade-got my GED and enlisted in the Navy (Oct.72)-I remember the Muskie tournaments at Tommies.A couple of times I was able to sneak into Grosse Pte. Park (early in the AM) and caught a lot of Lake Perch -it was the time of the year you could not keep them off the hook.

Ron_saad

Post Number: 153
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's your last name Dan?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.