Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: Archives » The Detroit Lions « Previous Next »
The Detroit Lions - 1Smogboy176 01-09-07  11:01 am
Archive through August 20, 2007Zephyrprocess30 08-20-07  4:18 pm
Archive through September 16, 2007Blksoul_x30 09-16-07  8:19 pm
Archive through October 07, 200720043_stotter30 10-07-07  7:51 pm
Archive through November 02, 2007Smogboy30 11-02-07  12:36 am
Archive through November 19, 2007Smogboy30 11-19-07  11:16 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 85
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

zxzm stated....

quote:

Martz out smarted himself today.

Only run the ball 11 times after your first 4 plays are runs that gain you 20 yards???

Roy Williams and Calvin Johnson are your go-to guys, NOT Shawn McDonald. Besides, Mike Furrey is more talented and has twice as much heart as Shawn McDonald.

I'm getting tired of people talking about the Lions running the ball. Kevin Jones is not a game breaker__ in-fact, he is a less the average running back. The Lions have the most talented group of receivers in the NFL...with that type of talented group of receivers, They should be throwing the ball 35 to 40 times a game.

The Lions started the season with the identity of a 'passing team' ,and it worked__now this run the ball to open up the pass mentality needs to be put on the back burner because they don't have a running game.

I hope the Lions and Mike Martz continue go with the game plan of pass first, because thats what the Lions are! This 'dual identity' approach is not going to work.

Somebody slice me a piece of piping hot cornbread!

blksoul-atcha!

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1613
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blksoul_x, bless ya, don't forget that most of the folks who pass along their after-the-fact analyses are dummies who do not share your understanding or your optomistic enthusiasm. I hear the same crap, about the Tigers, from ass-clowns who know nothing more than what they heard on the radio or read in the paper. The distinguishing aspect of your opinions is that you seem to actually know what the hell you are talking about AND still find cause to have happy, positive things to say about the Lions. (Ravine tips cap.)

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 66
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I watched the Lions game Sunday then watched Brady & Co. dismantle the Bills (1st 7 possessions 7 td's). It's amazing how good a qb and receivers look when the qb has time to look around.

Ravine

Post Number: 1623
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't really know very much about football, which is why, despite the fact that (as many of you know) I normally am quite full of opinions, I don't offer many of them on the subject of the Lions.
Maybe Blksoul_x, or another of you, could help explain something to me. I keep hearing folks on the radio-- callers and hosts-- complaining that Calvin Johnson should be used much more than he is being used. The complainants seem to be making a compelling argument, but at the same time, I figure that Marinelli and Martz must have some reasons for doing things in the way that they are doing them, and since I think it is reasonable to assume that neither of them is a clueless dope, the reasons must have some degree of validity, even if those reasons are questionable and debatable.
Opinions?

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6496
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine, just as is with EVERY sport- everyone who watches a particular sporting event fancies themselves to be a GM or a coach... especially the day after.

Now that being said, I do think that coaching staffs are human just like us. As learned as they are, they might also get caught up in the moment and forget things too. I do respect the fact that they're the ones paid to make those hard decisions (and the players to execute them) on the field. One thing that as an observer of the game on television, sometimes things seem blatantly obvious and then sometimes we fail to see the big picture as well. As open as we think Calvin Johnson may be- the QB might be screened. We fans really don't see the game the way the players and coaches do and it's always easier to crit them the day after. Heck, sports talk radio has made an entire industry off of our penchant to wanting to do that!

Do I think there's something more to the use of Calvin Johnson that we fans just aren't seeing? Yeah, I think there is. Are the coaching staff obligated to tell us the entire story? No. We, as fans have to have a measure of faith in them. The second we lose that faith we're no longer obligated to follow that team; it's a conscious choice.

As boneheaded as it may be or as wonderful as it can be at times, I'm still a fan of the Honolulu Blue & Silver (with a touch of black).

Blksoul_x

Post Number: 88
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Ravine for the tip of the hat. I appreciate that you can see through my Lions fever.

I truly think that this team is on the verge of something special__perhaps not winning a Super Bowl, but changing the course of Lions history and creating an identity that will last with the Lions organization into the future. Similar to what we have witnessed in Green Bay since the Brett Farve days. They have a machine, when players leave, they just simply plug new players in...same as the Patriots.

As far as Calvin Johnson__people forget that CJ is in his first Pro year.(only 9 games!).

The unique combination of the complexly integrated parts of Mike Martz's offensive scheme, and the sophistication of NFL defensive schemes, perhaps is overwhelming to Calvin Johnson at this nature.....

....But what amazes me most is that people don't see the accomplishments of Furry and Mcdonald who has 90 of the teams receiving reception respectively.(Roy Williams and CJ has another 115 together)...That's pretty 'dag-gone' good!

When the Lions are 'clicking' on all cylinders, Furry and Mcdonald have been a thorn is teams defenses__and that's the brilliance of a Mike Martz offense!.....aaah how soon we forget the drudgery of Mariucci's 'West-Coast no-ffense'__go figure!

Bottom Line, Calvin Johnson is still a 'rookie', and if you were to compare his stats' with Randy Mosses rookie year stats, at this point, one can easily see the CJ is on his way to match Moss respectively.

So calm down all...heat the stove up, bake up a batch of piping hot buttered CORNBREAD...the Lions are 6-4, and in Wild Card position.

blksoul-atcha!

Ravine

Post Number: 1625
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

O.K., Smogboy and Blksoul_x, thank you.
I suppose that what I am hearing is, basically, just the football version of the ignorant crap I heard during the baseball season; for example, no matter what pitching semi-crisis we faced, the solution pushed by the radio boys-- almost all of the callers, and most of the hosts-- was "bring up Andrew Miller." The common thread, running through both of these cases, seems to be the assumption that if a guy was seen as a primo draft pick and was signed to a big-ass contract, well, hell's bells, he must be a major talent, so if we're under-achieving or having problems, why the hell are we not using him? Never mind the strong possibility that the guy, talented as he may be, is not quite ready for prime time. Miller certainly wasn't. Neither was Maybin. The fact that the Tigers actually went ahead and DID bring them up, well, that's a head-scratcher, but the hilarious part was how, after Maybin demonstrated that he was not yet quite up to the task, some of those same folks were heard muttering about how they were not so sure about Maybin being such a hot prospect, after all, and forgetting the fact that Maybin was woken during a bus ride, informed that he had been called up, told that they needed him to be at YANKEE FUCKIN' STADIUM THE NEXT DAY, AND THEN, WHEN HE GETS THERE, THEY START HIM IN LEFT-FIELD, WHICH IS NOT THE POSITION HE WAS USED TO PLAYING.
Jesus!! I'm giving myself a headache. I apologize for committing a Technical Thread-Jack.
The bottom line is that I just don't understand how these media dolts can sit there and try to make it sound like the Lions are Just Plain Stoopid, when it should be plainly obvious, to everyone, that they would LOVE to be using Johnson more, and that there MUST be a reason why they're not DOING it. But then, the media bozos are so self-important that they are suffering with denial issues about the fact that our local professional sports teams do not feel any obligation to tell them everything; the implied attitude is, "if you can't, or won't, tell us why you don't do this, then you should be doing this."

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3147
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CJ's back hasn't been 100% since he got hurt earlier this year. what cheeses me is that Kitna misses so many wide open receivers. That final interception on Sunday - the receiver was double covered and at a height disadvantage yet to the right of him was a wide open Roy Williams. Kitna gets stuck on a hot guy sometimes and tries to force the ball where he shouldn't.

Smogboy

Post Number: 6510
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regardless of how the Lions play today, I'm very thankful for a player such as Mike Furrey and what he and his wife do after the game to help the homeless.

Bravo Mike Furrey...

http://www.mlive.com/lions/ind ex.ssf/2007/11/receiver_is_hap py_to_give.html

Meaghansdad
Username: Meaghansdad

Post Number: 160
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Leo's just lost...for the third time in a row. Their season is over!!

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 73
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Today I thought the offensive line did a decent job protecting Kitna but he still couldn't find anyone downfield. Hard to tell on tv if the receivers just aren't getting open or Kitna is just not finding them.

At least in the Barry Sanders days the team may have stunk but they usually gave the national audience something to see on Thanksgiving. Not any more.

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1509
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Today I thought the offensive line did a decent job

You were watching today's game right? The one where they gave up 4 sacks and Kitna was hurried on nearly every play? The one where after Scott left the game the had to put a guard in at right tackle because Foster sucks so badly? That game? Oh, and Jeff Backus can suck a dick. He couldn't stop me let alone an NFL DE.

Smogboy

Post Number: 6511
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm inclined to agree with Cheddar a little bit here, although not as vociferously. I think sometimes the offensive line can still be ineffective if there are no sacks recorded by the other team. Sometimes if the defensive line can hurry the QB into doing something he doesn't feel comfortable doing, it's just as effective.

I see this game as decent game plan going in- and a LOT to be left to the execution. There are some serious deficiencies when it comes to the offensive line- whether its mobility, technique, the personnel or whatever... they do need to be addressed. Even defensively I think the same is true; the Tampa Two defense works fine to extending an opponent's drive in hopes they'll eventualy self destruct but the one fatal flaw of that is against a quick strike offense with the likes of Favre, it can be a glaring weakness.

Yes, we do need some key personnel changes in certain positions as well as some work on other little things like wrapping up a runner. But then conversely, we do have some very nice talent in other positions as well. Marinelli does need to keep this team on its even keel; one loss isn't any worse than any win- but he does need to show some improvement to keep the people staying here and wanting to play hard.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 891
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Early in the game we caught them off guard with our running game plan. The O line did a good job there. However our O line is awful, has been awful for years. Millen does nothing about it. When Scott got hurt they put in a guy who got bull rushed into Kitna, it was amazing. They just dont have the talent there to compete, and until they get some talent at offensive line, we will be mediocre.

Blksoul_x

Post Number: 92
Posted on Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, the good-news is__everybody that needed to lose for sake of the Lions playoff run LOST!

LIONS.........6-5

GIANTS...........7-4
PHILADELPHIA.....5-6
ARIZONA..........5-6
WASHINGTON.......5-6
------------------
MINNESOTA........5-6
CHICAGO..........5-6

The cornbread is ready to heat up!

blksoul_atcha!

Smogboy

Post Number: 6543
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's the optimistic cornbread you still got cookin' there, Blksoul_x!

I'm not one to say it's gonna be impossible yet but the next five games for the Lions aren't gonna be easy by ANY stretch. But then crazier things have happened in the NFL too.

I'll join you for that plate of the cornbread for this week; all of those teams losing is a good thing. We'll see if we have the gas oven to cook with this next Sunday... or whether we're going to want to climb in it after a horrific game. We can hope.

Minnesota dispatched the Giants pretty easily, but then we handled the Vikings relatively well early on in the season too. I think realistically all of these teams are at par with one another; the Giants, Eagles, Cards, Skins, Vikings, Bears & our Lions are capable of anything from one week to another. None of these teams really have the talent to elevate just yet. That being said, I would have to say optimistically Detroit & Arizona is young and the other NFC teams listed seemed to have peaked and are on the decline.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6839
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lions are still in the NFC Wild Card Race.

PHILADELPHIA.....5-6
ARIZONA..........5-6
WASHINGTON.......5-6
MINNESOTA........5-6
CHICAGO..........5-6

Two of them need lose at least 3 games and Lions MUST win 3 games to make the playoffs.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1710
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

not with jon dikas at qb

Ravine

Post Number: 1639
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny, bless ya, but I don't think it's gonna work out.
Blksoul_x & Smogboy, you guys had better enlist the arcane assistance of a sorceress in the kitchen when you're hooking up that there cornbread, or go down to Loozyannar and borrow a trunkful of various voodoo supplies and accessories.
After ass-whipping the Broncos, it was important for the Lions to follow up with a victory over the Giants, and they didn't do it.
However, I think that the folks who are now saying, "same old Lions," are not quite correct.

Smogboy

Post Number: 6559
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Lions realisitcally have to go 4-1 in order to have a shot to make the playoffs in my opinion. The tie breaking formulas are all stacked against them. Ain't no amount of kitchen magic and even a smaller loaf pan for the cornbread is it going to help. Is it possible for the lions to catch fire and go 4-1? Sure I guess so, but I wouldn't exactly be betting the house & home on it. Detroit lost the ability to dictate their own destiny a few weeks ago when they lost to the Cardinals. They have to be in playoff mode every game of the way now- every game has to be desperation now.

Blksoul_x

Post Number: 94
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smogboy, 4-1 would pretty much guarantee them a playoff birth for sure, and to be sure they have more talent insofar as the other teams in the 'wild card' running__however I think 3-2 is more realistic and should give them a play-off shot. I don't see Minnesota, Arizona, or Philadelphia winning 4 of the next 5 games(4-1)...those teams don't concern me.

Two of the teams I worry MOST about is Chicago and Washington. These teams have intangible reasons to make a run.

Chicago is the team that can make a run, they play good defense and have great special teams(a important key for this time of year) and they are coming off a very emotional win last week...and Washington has something more spiritually significant to play for because of the death of Sean Taylor.

'Smogboy' and 'Ravine'...let's heat those stoves up, because our beloved Lions will need all the hot pipe'n cornbread karma they can get!

blksoul_atcha!

Blksoul_x

Post Number: 99
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Somebody direct me to the nearest 'Step program' for cornbread lovers...I don't want anymore cornbread!

Please Help!

blksoul_atcha!

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 146
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The sign over the lyin'locker room should read,
"Abandon all hope, Ye who enter".
51 yrs since a championship
12 years since a playoff game
Consistently sell out. So,don't expect any changes.
It takes time to rebuild, doesn't it?
Williams, Simms and every lyin' that has talent and pride will be leaving this ship, like it was the Titanic.
Keep buying those tickets.
Reality sure kicks the shit out of reality.
It hits hard.
There is zero relief in sight.

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1533
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like another 8-8 season, at best.

Could this be the most pathetic franchise in the league?

Atl_runner
Username: Atl_runner

Post Number: 1981
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what's funny, is perspective.. Minnesota, and Chicago are now thinking they can make the playoffs, and the Lions might as well write off another season..

This franchise sucks. Pathetic effort across the board except from Roy williams.

Blksoul_x

Post Number: 100
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More bitter irony of the Matt 'fire' Millen era....

passed over 2007 1st round draft pick by matt millen...
Adrian Peterson....15 rushes 116 yards and 2TD's

chosen 2007 1st round draft pick by matt millen...
Calvin Johnson.....1 rec 17 yards 0 TD's

ooooh, I'm sick!

blksoul_atcha!

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 3114
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had season tix for 8 years, gave them up this year, for awhile I was starting to think I made a mistake (just starting to think that) - nope, made the right choice

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 1526
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 7:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember in the preseason when Roy Williams and Kitna told us that the Lions could and would score 35 points every game ? We should have reminded them that practicing against your own lousy secondary can be slightly misleading.

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 564
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not even going to read all the lions posts...
Offensive line is everything in football...we have a poor line and it shows.

Ravine

Post Number: 1659
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish it would have turned out better. I don't feel really sorry for the Lions, but I feel bad for some of their most ardent supporters, like Blksoul_x, who dared to allow himself to start feeling kind of good about their chances, only to have the Lions TOTALLY self-destruct just when things were starting to look so much better than usual.

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 3250
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank u Blksoul_x

The Lions should have drafted Peterson, a running game is always the key in the NFC north.

Millin and Martz mangled that draft pick...

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 553
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nah--even with Peterson in the backfield, Martz would still be offering him <10 carries/game.

Knocturnal
Username: Knocturnal

Post Number: 229
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I figured that I should post here before 2007 is over, since it has been nearly a full month. Same sorry franchise with broken record results...expect the same, or probably worse, in 2008.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.